Oldhammer Mafia!

Comments

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    @Ayisdra Okay, gotcha. This sheds some light on everything and at least gives a townie-spin to your power that I didn't see before.

Since the two trains in action are pointing at you and @Coraline, it's a good idea for you both to voice who you're leaning towards voting, even if you don't give your vote yet.

-----------

I want to touch on a few more final points, because there is still the very real possibility that Zitto or Carakhan can be mafia-aligned, and we haven't given much real estate to those theories. If true, it blows up our understanding of last night pretty drastically since Zitto's alibi and Carakhan's alibi, after all, are reliant on one another.

• @Zitto I'd like for you to please explain the exact parameters of your power. I understand you'll feel like you already did this, but we have an idea of the result of your power, not the logistics. What specific action did you take and what specific answer did Portius give you when you targeted Arix? Given the confusion yesterday, I think requesting this clarification is only fair.
    • @Carakhan you were quite confident yesterday that Alexandria was lying based on the fact your power and mine were so "compatible" versus hers and mine. However, my power and Alexandria's were literal inverses of one another: I see the power, she sees who targets the individual. Our powers are very clear in what they do and do not see. Yours, on the other hand, has a remarkable amount of ambiguity - which is especially useful for faking a mafia bluff. You also were on the later end of the claims of the day, and the likelihood of someone else sharing an ability of this nature was slim. You've already explained your quick vote for Alexandria, so I don't know what else you can put forward there, but your claim would be much, much easier for a mafia to fake than Alexandria's would have been.
    With all this said, Zitto did claim first during the mass claim, which is a pretty pro-town move. Carakhan claimed her ability's result before most of us had shared our actions for the night, which is quite bold for a mafia faking a move without additional intel. Both Zitto and Carakhan were willing to take high-risk lynches yesterday that, if failed, would have resulted in them being lynched - something scum players rarely do without 100% certainty of success.

For those reasons, I'm still more inclined to lynch Ayisdra or Coraline. But I feel strongly it would be a mistake to discount this possibility in our discussion while we still have time to decide.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • I think requesting clarification of Zitto is fair, and I want to note that he could still be one of the two mafia. All I know for sure is that he did not kill Alexandria. That said, Zitto seems to be an experienced player, and it's hard for me to believe scum would be that dramatically wrong about their own powers. I'm also skeptical that scum would have openly pushed a day one lynch, against all lusternia forum mafia convention (so far as I can tell). Furthermore, he was correct that Arix was not Imperial, which scum would (presumably) not have known, and while role investigator can be a very handy scum power, in the current setup it doesn't seem as useful. But it's possible.

You're correct about how your and Alexandria's powers are a neater fit than yours and mine. However, my perspective was (I hope excusably) focused on how everyone's powers related to my power. I read your power, went "Oh, the Bawd sees the power, the Beggar sees whether anyone approached x/x approached anyone, that's cool." Then read Alexandria's claim and the combination of authority figure! role name and very vanilla watcher power, relative to my own watered down watcher/tracker power, your power watcher power, and Zitto's power investigator power made me suspicious.  I would like to point out that I shared my ability's result before anyone had shared theirs, excepting the host's post.

I'm open to lynching either Ayisdra or Coraline this round. I'm waffling back and forth as to which, though I'm going to leave the vote on Coraline for now. Ayisdra has been pretty passive and quiet. He argued against a day 1 lynch, the only person he voted for was Arix, and has been extremely skeptical of Zitto. His power also has some overlap with mine, while being more specific in the information learned, similar to Alexandria.

Coraline has been very against day 1 lynch, but was willing to be talked around to voting for Alexandria and then Arix, and very reluctant to share information with town. I am also skeptical of her reasons for keeping her power so secret under the circumstances.
    Art by the multitalented Aonia
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    It is DAY TWO. The day ends at 6:15 PM EST on Tuesday, September 24th.

VOTES

Ayisdra-1 (Zitto)
    Coraline-1 (Carakhan)

With 5 Old Worlders alive, it will take 3 votes to lynch!

Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • I will clarify that I was against day 1 lynch without any actual reason. The reason I voted Alexandria was because her claim was (or seemed to be) immediately counter claimed by Carakhan, which lead me to believe Carakhan as town.

I was very against voting Arix on day 1 until everyone else were on board and I was accused of being scum for not supporting the lynch. Then I said I was open to it, based on the fact that if Arix was actually town, he doesn't have any powers and his confirmation as town will confirm Zitto as scum (the reason everyone else was on board with it, in fact). But I was still open to giving him over half a day to respond and I didn't cast the lynching vote.

I didn't want to reveal my role D1 because I I did, no one would visit me and my powers will be useless. I didn't want to reveal at all but I was forced to this day.

As for suspicion, I'm leaning towards Carakhan. I know I trusted him yesterday, because of his counter claiming, but I assumed the scums will be called Mafioso or Drug Lord or some other fancy name, and the death post means that the scum are Rat Men.  "Beggar" seems to fit with that theme.
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.

• @Zitto I'd like for you to please explain the exact parameters of your power. I understand you'll feel like you already did this, but we have an idea of the result of your power, not the logistics. What specific action did you take and what specific answer did Portius give you when you targeted Arix? Given the confusion yesterday, I think requesting this clarification is only fair.
    I will have to paraphrase since we can't quote our role PM, but my power was "You May Know Him By His Signs". Once during the day phase, I was able to examine X by private message to Portius, who would reveal whether the person satisfied the requirements of being both a townie and not (or no longer) having a power. It specifically clarified that people with limited use powers would read as powerless if they have used up their power.  I skimmed the role pm and originally assumed the power was usable at night because almost all powers are, but when you asked me whether it works at the beginning or end of the night, I asked Portius to clarify and he pointed out that it is a day power with only a minor implication of my potential mental deficiency. When I examined Arix, I received confirmation that Arix was not a vanilla townie. I assumed this was because he was lying about his power to hide a scum power, but turned out to be because he was a survivor rather than a townie.
  • Sylandra said:
    @Ayisdra Okay, gotcha. This sheds some light on everything and at least gives a townie-spin to your power that I didn't see before.

Since the two trains in action are pointing at you and @Coraline, it's a good idea for you both to voice who you're leaning towards voting, even if you don't give your vote yet.
    I am leaning closer towards Coraline. While I can understand not wanting to reveal her power day 1, not wanting to reveal at all/today is a bit weird to me. The more I think about it, the more I'm trying to think of a use of this power. One of our own more or less transfers their power to Coraline to use another night. This is a huge gamble in this small of a game with nothing but one-shot powers in hoping the right person targets you and that you survive the night.
  • I didn't want to reveal because I could get a scum investigative role to visit me and I could learn about their power. You know I'm not lying about this power because I said Sylandra's exact powers that she never mentioned here.
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • Now I know that no one is going to visit me except to kill me
  • Actually I'm just going to vote Carakhan because no way a Beggar is imperial
  • Carakhan is a female deity.

I don't really have anything to say in response to your assertion that no way a beggar is imperial. What are poor imperial subjects supposed to do? 

I've been thinking more about Coraline's power. It really stands out as different, but it might be that way so town can recharge powers, so we aren't left totally in the dark on the second night.

Which is to say I am still very much in the fence between her and Ayisdra.
  • Hah, sorry about misgendering! Name threw me off

VOTES

Ayisdra-1 (Zitto)
    Coraline-1 (Carakhan)
    Carakhan-1 (Coraline)

I feel we are so close to piecing this thing together. The main thing that's really throwing me off is, if this is a scum team of two players, which two players are working together the most? Or is there not a scum team at all, and just one serial killer?

I've been rereading the thread and this is how things look to me so far, please correct me if I'm wrong:
    • @Carakhan has voted for Ayisdra and Coraline.
    • @Zitto has voted Sylandra and Ayisdra while openly feuding with Coraline in the dayphase.
    • @Coraline has voted for Carakhan, but expressed suspicion of Ayisdra and Zitto.
    • @Ayisdra has never voted for anyone still in play, but expressed suspicion of Sylandra, Coraline and Zitto.
    • @Sylandra has never voted for anyone still in play, but is currently suspecting everyone in a paranoid frenzy!
    None of this matters if this game is actually one mafia on a serial killer spree, but here's a hypothetical question: if Coraline is mafia, who is her partner?

You could say Ayisdra and Coraline are a team, but when I reread the thread, the way they communicate is pretty antagonistic for team mates (ex. Ayisdra casting doubt on how Coraline's power works, Coraline suggesting he's a second Survivor). Honestly when I looked through the posts, the most likely candidate was me, but I can personally confirm I am not her mafia buddy. I know y'all can't do that, but from my perspective, I am struggling to find who would be on her side.

In fact, everyone has verbally shared their willingness this dayphase to toss Coraline off the deep end - which is weird if she has a partner!

Keep in mind though that Portius could have thrown us for a loop and there's just one mafioso scuttling about. Who knows! Portius already took out the doctor, a classic staple of the mafia genre, so my setup theorizing might not mean much!

@Coraline can I ask why you chose Carakhan over Ayisdra? Assuming Carakhan is telling the truth, he's the only other person in play who could have killed Alexandria last night. Are you that certain she's lying about her power?
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Did Coraline suggest Ayisdra was a second survivor? I thought she only did that to me? Did I miss something? And if we're all openly suspecting Coraline and Ayisdra, it would be pretty reasonable for them to throw each other under the bus. (Although does Ayisdra being willing to do that to Coraline and not the opposite mean we should go after Ayisdra instead? If we assume there's the possibility that they're in cahoots?) And in general, they haven't interacted much until forced to today, or even voted on the same trains really, so is it timezones or intentional avoidance to avoid coordinationg?!?!?!?!

Anyway, yes, I am keeping in the back of my head that the other way Coraline would "know" Sylandra's power would be if you were both mafia working together, but that's lower on my list of paranoid possibilities. But it is factoring into my voting for her, as finding out what is actually going on with Coraline and her power would help clarify things for me.

• Hey, @Ayisdra, what's the particular flavor on how your power works?
    Coraline said:
    Hmm it seems Arix was saying the truth that he was Peasant, but he was not a twin role, but a Survivor one?

And also, all town roles are Imperial. If Carakhan is Beggar, and Beggar doesn't sound very Imperial..

Could he be a Survivor role as well?

Ah, I stand corrected - thank you @Carakhan, misread that. So forget that part of my earlier post.
    Daraius said:
    Ayisdra said:
    So, Zitto was sure that Arix was lying about being vanilla.  If Zitto is town still could be debated, but it is clear that he is either lying about his power or misunderstanding it once again.

As for me revealing last, @Carakhan, that is just a matter of 90% of the revealing happening in the middle of the AM-night my time.

I'm wary of @Coraline words. She seems to be a bit surprised that all town roles are Imperial, implying she isn't an imperial herself?

@Carakhan the above predates your vote on Coraline - and actually predates Zitt's vote on Ayisdra, too. If Ayisdra is her scum buddy, why would he say that at the start of this very crucial dayphase?
    Daraius said:
  • Zitto said:
    Hey, @Ayisdra, what's the particular flavor on how your power works?
    I can HEAR X, to listen for them using powers at night (and again, I know they used powers, but not what kind of power).
    I'll be honest. If @Carakhan and @Zitto are mafia, they almost deserve to win. The more I read the thread, the more they look the most like a coordinated team of everyone on the board in my eyes. But individually, they also look the least suspicious. This is maddening to me.

Carakhan and Zitto both came into D2 guns blazing with a separate vote train - pretty bold, if you're a town and risking endgame with two potential mafias sniffing about! Their N1 alibis are checked out by each other. Neither Carakhan nor Zitto has ever overtly suspected the other, and they've even subtly defended each other on D1 ("mistakes do happen," "not sure the Alexandria/Carakhan thing is worth getting into"). If one of us added a second vote to either the Ayisdra or the Coraline train, I'm sure the other would finish it off. If they're mafia, that ends in checkmate - tada, town loses.

But - and this is a very big "but"! The risk that comes from claiming an investigator in a day 1 mass claim, if you were a mafia yourself, is absolutely insane. The risk in claiming your night power's effect on D2 before anyone else did, if you're bluffing, is also insane. The risk in pushing lynch trains on non-mafia people (Alexandria, Arix) as strongly as they did on D1 is a very high-risk, high-reward move.

So I don't know if it's even possible for them to pull this off if they're mafia, unless they have more intel about the gameboard than we do. That alone is keeping me from voting one of them, even though I have this persistent, nagging doubt that they're both suspicious, especially since I suspect Ayisdra/Coraline is an unlikely mafia combo. Having a daypower would be awfully convenient for a mafia, freeing them up for that N1 kill power, and like I said before, Carakhan's power is ambiguous enough to be a good bluff.

But hey. Maybe they're just excellent townies and I'm overthinking it all. Certainly wouldn't be the first time I misread someone!
    Daraius said:

• @Sylandra said:

But - and this is a very big "but"! The risk that comes from claiming an investigator in a day 1 mass claim, if you were a mafia yourself, is absolutely insane.
    Also want to point out that I claimed first among everyone. Just, you know, while we're discussing who to hang on a tree, I feel like that's relevant.

I am starting to come over to the idea that there is no scum -team-. Two scum and one survivor game would be awfully tilted in a seven-player game; You'd need all four legitimate townies to nail a vote on D1, and on D2 if the survivor's alive it'd be impossible to nail a scum vote without convincing the survivor to vote on behalf of the town, which they have no interest since they'll win no matter who is lynched. Portius has a very good eye for mafia balance, and I don't think he'd set up a game like that. Also, two scum members together could have hammered any of our three single votes at this point, a fact I am kicking myself for not noticing until reading Sylandra's post mentioning it like three times. This doesn't indicate that any of Aysidra, Carakhan, or I are confirmed town, but it's good evidence that no two of us are working together or we'd hammer the third person's vote and win the game. I am going to:

Unvote Ayisdra

Ayisdra remains my number one suspect based on behavior, but Portius has a distinct mafia flavor style and Aysidra's role and flavor fit the setting in the right way (This is also why I was kicking myself so hard for falling for Sylandra's gambit in Pendragon; Chronas's power and role felt very in style to me but I let myself get led off my hunch by THE GREAT BETRAYER). Portius usually always gives either non-obviously evil identities to the scum or else gives them a safeclaim, so I'm not surprised to find everyone's got a role off the old warhammer profession list. All that said, Coraline's power is the most out there compared to the rest of us. Everyone else is claiming a one-shot informational power of some kind but she gets to magically reproduce abilities indefinitely. That feels super weird to me in comparison, and I would buy it more as the ability of a Skaven priest/seer than as a lawyer's ability. I am inclined to lynch Coraline today and re-evaluate if wrong tomorrow now that I think we'll have a D3, but I'm not going to vote yet so as not to open the vote to an opportunity to hammer.

Zitto said:
    I am starting to come over to the idea that there is no scum -team-. Two scum and one survivor game would be awfully tilted in a seven-player game; You'd need all four legitimate townies to nail a vote on D1, and on D2 if the survivor's alive it'd be impossible to nail a scum vote without convincing the survivor to vote on behalf of the town, which they have no interest since they'll win no matter who is lynched. Portius has a very good eye for mafia balance, and I don't think he'd set up a game like that. Also, two scum members together could have hammered any of our three single votes at this point, a fact I am kicking myself for not noticing until reading Sylandra's post mentioning it like three times. This doesn't indicate that any of Aysidra, Carakhan, or I are confirmed town, but it's good evidence that no two of us are working together or we'd hammer the third person's vote and win the game. 
    This makes pretty good sense to me. If we remove the concept of a two-person mafia from the setup (using the Survivor role as evidence to back that up), voting Coraline does seem like the best option. Her role would be the most equipped to adapt to that sort of situation.

Additionally, I wouldn't have targeted her N1 if I knew what her ability was - I only did so because the way she had worded her previous posts made me think she was the doctor, and I suspected that meant she'd be the mafia target!

Okay. I think I'm finally done writing elaborate tinfoil hat posts. If we're all in agreement, I'm down to vote Coraline officially. Assuming it's just one mafia, as Zitto posits, we'll all have a D3 to conclude this tale if we mislynch.
    Daraius said:
    (If I lose and @Zitto is the mafia, he can bask in this victory for bamboozling me. Which would be its own poetic justice!)
    Daraius said:

VOTES

Coraline-2 (Carakhan, Sylandra)
    Carakhan-1 (Coraline)

• @Sylandra if I ever bamboozle you that hard I'm retiring from mafia and also from my real professional life because my life will have peaked. I guess we're doing this, though.

Vote Coraline

VOTES

Coraline-3 (Carakhan, Sylandra, Zitto)
    Carakhan-1 (Coraline)

LYNCH!

Coraline must be a witch, a sorceress, in cahoots with the foul forces of chaos! Or perhaps a necromancer? She's definitely evil, or so the angry mob thinks! You drag her in front of a makeshift table, hold a show trial (Oh, she made an eloquent case, you'll grant her that, but you know that fancy words are a true sign of deceiver of innocent people like yourselves!) and hang her.
    -----------------
    Coraline was...The Lawyer!

httpsvignettewikianocookienetwarhammerfbimages11aLitigantjpgrevisionlatestcb20161114003508

You talk for a living. Look, it's harder than it sounds, alright? Just last week the local lord passed a tax on windows! It replaced the previous window tax, which did not include covered windows, but not the window tax before that, which only covers unusually large windows, so you have to pay double on some...you get the idea. You've dealt with every kind of rogue, scoundrel, and framed peasant in the land and you learned a lot from them.

Imperial: You are a loyal subject of the Empire of Man! You win when all of the scum are dead.

Cross Examination: If you are targeted by a night power that does not kill you, you will be able to use it on the following night. If you are targeted by more than one, you will only get to keep and use one of them, chosen at random.
    ----------------
    It is now Night Two! The night ends at 10:30 PM EST on Monday, September 23rd.

All night actions are in!

The streets are cold, quiet, and empty. Rats scurry from house to house, eating those who are too weak to fight. Only a few people remain. Will they have the strength to save Todburg?

Zitto does not stir from his house. The rats have devoured him, but the splattered blood shows that he put up a fight.

Strange how the rats have gotten so aggressive recently, isn't it? Must be witchcraft. No, stop blaming it on the ratmen. Everyone knows that they aren't real.
    ------------
    Zitto was...The Witchhunter!

httpsvignettewikianocookienetwarhammerfbimages886WHnt_05jpgrevisionlatestcb20130902073439

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? You know. You wield faith, gunpowder, steel, and a very intimidating hat, and you wield them well. You hunt the foul beasts of chaos that infiltrate the villages of man. Who cares if you have to hang an entire village to stamp out evil? Well, the local lord does, but what does he matter? He's probably a witch as well.

Imperial: You are a loyal subject of the Empire of Man! You win when all of the scum are dead.

You May Know Him By His Signs: You know the signs of evil, but be wary, for they are often mistaken for the signs of virtue. Once, during the day phase, you may privately EXAMINE X to determine if that person both Imperial and has no power. People with limited power who have used them will appear as though they are powerless.
    -----------------
    It is DAY THREE. The day ends at 11:30 PM EST on Wednesday, September 26th.

VOTES

None!

With 3 Old Worlders alive, it will take 2 votes to lynch!
    Oh boy. Well we can confirm that there was only one mafia all along after all!

@Ayisdra please share what you learned last night.
    Daraius said:
  • I have learn that @Carakhan used a power last night as I looked into her.  Either she has a power she hasn't told us about, or she did the kill last night.
  • To add to this, my choices were either target Zitto or target Carakhan. With Coraline's death, it is, hopefully true, that you Sylandra are not mafia. Carakhan was the most unconfirmed choice, so I went with her.
    @Ayisdra Not sure I expected to hear anything else from you, but it's good to know you were smart enough to say you targeted @Carakhan.

Welp. Looks like I'm in the unenviable position of being the deciding vote here. There are three of us, and only one of us killed Zitto. Coraline's flip shows I was telling the truth about targeting her the night Alexandria died, putting me in the clear. As a confirmed townie, she had no reason to lie about me targeting her that night.

So you both should now know with 100% certainty now who the mafia is or isn't.
    Daraius said: