I understand the rationale for having newbies get into the game for a little while before having to choose their race, but I find it super weird that the Portal of Fate expels them all as humans. Like, why does this extremely significant magical gateway turn all divine shards that pass through it into a race that is not native to Lusternia? Here's my proposal:
- create a new pseudorace that newbies emerge as, called a Portal Flux or Loomspawn something else sufficiently cool/unpleasant
- this race will have no inherent abilities or perks, and can't advance past level 30
- the help file will describe these as explicitly formless or neutrally star-shaped, making it clear that their characteristics are indistinct
- as long as they're in this form, newbies will be periodically reminded to choose a proper race, which they can do so in the normal manner
- if they hit level 30, they either get big flashing warnings that they need to choose a race in order to get any more XP, or at that point they congeal into an ordinary human
I used to make cakes.
Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."