The state of Aeonics

Comments

• Right, so it's literally not even worth respond to Choros because he hasn't even had the thought to Ab Aeonics or the post literally above his. I'll call him out on that blind point though, literally everyone can block timed instakills, you're not really even supposed to get kills with timed instakills in real combat. Why are you trying to derail this? Seriously? Why can't you discuss this logically, without all this? If you honestly think my points are that bad, then tackle them, with reasonable arguments. That goes for everyone, WHENEVER any balance issue is brought up.

Ourina got the oracle part right.

Keegan said:
    If people are honestly concerned about Roomwide Timequake, and that time may come to pass, I look forward to seeing the cool replacement idea that you come up with for Aeonic's Magnum Opus 10p trans ability. 

I'm going to try and break the charade and be honest in a non-threatening manner.

I understand you have concerns, Feoragan, but I honestly think that you should earnestly try to improve yourself before you go after skill sets and archetypes. I don't think anyone is opposed to tweaking skills in aeonics, and I'd honestly not be opposed at all to seeing what things we can branch from new Aeonics to Illuminati if they are seen behind par. Aeon is fine. I honestly thought old aeon is fine, but I'm not going to complain about where we are today.

But simply coming out and branding Aeonics as broken, listing some random abilities and giving a somewhat-or-maybe description of the ability and claiming it to be a problem doesn't really constitute a review or the makings of an argument.

In all honestly I'm happy, more than happy, to help you figure out your offence and defence and make adjustments where appropriate to do better to counter aeonics. You have prior mentioned running away, and recently have begun spamming invoke circle to stonewall my offense (protip: spamming invoke circle will stall anyone who isn't a warrior/monk, and will slow warriors down a lot 1v1).  Having been on the other side of this statement I understand that it's easy to question the intention behind it and its candidness so I will endeavour as to not bring it up again. I think Shadowdancers and your late choice of Shadowbeat are both really great skill sets (I still think Harbinger is the strongest skill set in all of Glomdoring, in 1v1 and group contexts). I also think that I haven't seen a Shadow Dancer or Harbinger do them justice in a while, nor attempt it.

I think, having fully explored your options and counters against classes will do a lot more to support your perception of these skills and give more validity to your concerns.
    Why does Roomwide Timequake exist though, if not to be used? It's built into the kit to be used. It's not as if you don't have AoE timewarp from multiple skillsets or a variety of other methods.

I'm really not buying into the "improve yourself" thing. My skill or supposed lack of skill does not dictate how powerful certain abilities are, and again, this is a complete departure from the topic and deflection.

I didn't list random abilities. I listed nearly every in ability in Aeonics, because most of them are strong, as opposed to a scattering of skills in that you'd feasibly use in others. Apart from one or two I listed (which just seemed to push Hallifax above whatever power budget it should have) most of them are just too much and, it's stuff that doesn't exist anywhere else, or exists elsewhere, but directly weaker. Sure, it's unique, that doesn't justify strength. You could make a skill that instantly decapitates an enemy and lets them live for 5 seconds longer because it's cool and thematic for an edgy ninja character but that wouldn't justify how unbalanced it is.

I invoke circle to stall you and force you to waste power and time while you're ganking me on prime. It's... Not really that deep or clever of me to do it. There's other stuff I do that's more significant than that.

I do appreciate the offer to help, and I'm not being arrogant in saying this, I know how stuff works generally, I just disagree with how things do work. There are a few adjustments I could make to improve my fighting ability (such as actually having all the skills in my skillset) but that's a completely separate issue for now.

I really disagree on the Harbinger point. There are various issues with it, and again, this isn't the place for it.

As for Shadowdancer, while I don't think the class is bad, I think that it has a lot of baggage from how strong it was in the past, and from silly things that have happened, stuff that really shouldn't have come back to impact on the class. I've heard the point that Night is an RP skill, and I have to say, it's one of the most RP bereft skills in the game. It's got interesting flavour and mechanics but they feel like they haven't been properly realised and don't actually amount to anything. AGAIN, separate thread. I'm not saying SD isn't strong, it's just... It's not really interesting or unique. There are other classes that can do the same honestly.

Snald is an amazing Harbinger, he just shows up rather infrequently, and I have no clue how he does what he does. I do have a slight suspicion that he's aided just a bit by copious amounts of artifacts and he could probably pick any class and stomp with it. He'd be much stronger as a Minstrel.Keegan said:
    Ourina said:
    Choros said:

The thing I'm worried about is how fast Timewarp/Tempinsanity CAN stack and skills like Paradox that you could drop on one person, slam that person with Timewarp, you don't even actually need to be IN Hallifax to stack this afaiw, then timequake the entire room. This is an issue COMPLETELY unique to Aeonics.
    Yes, hi. Which class outside hallifax can afflict with timewarp?
    Assume he is referring to oracle + non-Halli stacking steam affs (?)
    Perhaps, but Oracle would require non-hallis to selectively choose steam affs that aren't already on the target's table from the small pool of poisons (and aurics, potentially) they have access too. Additionally, the onus is on the Institute to spend their balances maintaining Oracle's duration.

If your enemy having all of one type of aff is an issue then I think you can really afford to give up some of that power, personally.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Nobody said Night was an RP skill.  I said that Scourge and Wane in Terror/Rage covens were more of an RP thing when you were upset about the difference between the two.  And I stand by that, because you are not sticking ranged aeon any better than ranged blindness.  They are there for uniqueness more than effectiveness.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited December 2019
    Roomwide timequake is, admittedly, a relic from the past. 8p single-target timequake was added AFTER the fact as a more realistic goal for the Researcher, and 8p is pretty much what you expect for instas from guardians and wiccans.

If we do decide to remove roomwide timequake, we'll have to rework the transcendent skill of Aeonics, and I'm like 99% sure you won't like what we cook up to fill the void.

• edited December 2019
    Please provide me a reference as to when the last roomwide timequake was successfully done.

Edit: More to the point, Post the researcher overhaul.
  • edited December 2019
    Maligorn said:
    Roomwide timequake is, admittedly, a relic from the past. 8p single-target timequake was added AFTER the fact as a more realistic goal for the Researcher, and 8p is pretty much what you expect for instas from guardians and wiccans.

If we do decide to remove roomwide timequake, we'll have to rework the transcendent skill of Aeonics, and I'm like 99% sure you won't like what we cook up to fill the void.
    I really don't think you would have to replace it.

If you can't use it, then it's worthless and not worth any power budget.

If it is being used, then it's too strong.

See, this sentiment is why skills like Aeonics have gotten to the power they are now. Only, it applies so selectively depending on whether you want the skill in particular to be strong or not. You get minor nerfs to bring the skill back down, then later you'll drive for some massive buff to make up for it. You'll then bandwagon on any nerfs to any skill (See: Glomdoring, for IRL years, heck it's still happening, in this very thread) and then argue very loudly to not give any recompense for it.

If you're not willing to handle Illuminate being room-wide, and removing the truename requirement, what makes you think that you deserve to get EVEN stronger? What is this line of thinking?! Where does it come from?

Kaizynne said:
    Please provide me a reference as to when the last roomwide timequake was successfully done.

Edit: More to the point, Post the researcher overhaul.
    You're a troll and not worthy of the seconds I typed this but if it hasn't happened, in the words of your friends, get good.
  • I mean replacing Paradox. You could be happy with the fact that it's basically an unusable skill except with NEAR-PERFECT coordination and EXTREMELY-POOR enemy reactions, or we can remove roomwide timequake and make something that's a lot more useful to use, if you'd prefer.

• It was a legitimate point. But, sure. whatever.
  • Maligorn said:
    I mean replacing Paradox. You could be happy with the fact that it's basically an unusable skill except with NEAR-PERFECT coordination and EXTREMELY-POOR enemy reactions, or we can remove roomwide timequake and make something that's a lot more useful to use, if you'd prefer.
    Paradox would be more acceptable if you didn't have the roomwide timequake with it, and also needed a condition like truename. 

There's a far stronger argument to be made about bringing Hallifax into line than making it stronger. This is pointless to argue about. 

If you want to swap Paradox for something like Butterfly, then go ahead and make the report, I'll even make it for you. 

The fact that you're not using it doesn't make it strong, and I'm wondering what effort you think SHOULD go into a timequake that will kill literally an entire room. As if this is something that's even remotely reasonable to be discussing, as if this is an issue that's not absolutely nuts to be talking about.
  • (If there was no roomwide timequake option there'd be no argument for paradox spreading roomwide timewarp. I'd  happily take butterfly but that'd be unthematic.)
  • Feoragan said:
    Maligorn said:
    I mean replacing Paradox. You could be happy with the fact that it's basically an unusable skill except with NEAR-PERFECT coordination and EXTREMELY-POOR enemy reactions, or we can remove roomwide timequake and make something that's a lot more useful to use, if you'd prefer.
    Paradox would be more acceptable if you didn't have the roomwide timequake with it, and also needed a condition like truename. 

There's a far stronger argument to be made about bringing Hallifax into line than making it stronger. This is pointless to argue about. 

If you want to swap Paradox for something like Butterfly, then go ahead and make the report, I'll even make it for you. 

The fact that you're not using it doesn't make it strong, and I'm wondering what effort you think SHOULD go into a timequake that will kill literally an entire room. As if this is something that's even remotely reasonable to be discussing, as if this is an issue that's not absolutely nuts to be talking about.
    I'm curious how much effort YOU think would have to go into paradox -> getting more than 1 person massively timewarped -> roomwide timequake. The burden of proof isn't on me, it's on the person making the claim.

I'd love for you to walk me through how you'd do that, because if you can't, then your argument is pointless. Moreover, you won't be able to convince the admin (the actual important decision-makers) that Aeonics needs nerfing the way you're suggesting. So if you're unwilling to prove it to me or on a public forum, DM Orael or something.

Imagine spending 10p on Paradox and nothing coming of it. That's the reality of using Paradox 99.9% of the time, allowing for user mistakes and for enemy counters (so easy). That makes it a weak skill. I don't know how you could argue otherwise.

Hallifax is in line. It wasn't in line for a long, long time. It was very below par in fact. You're confusing the word competitive with overpowered.

• edited December 2019
    Keegan said:
    (If there was no roomwide timequake option there'd be no argument for paradox spreading roomwide timewarp. I'd  happily take butterfly but that'd be unthematic.)
    It'd be possible to create a similar mirror ability. 

Aeonics either needs to be nerfed or excuses used to keep other skillets not as strong need to go out the window.

Just by virtue of being on steam balance, Hallifax's entire org has an edge. 

Maligorn said:
    Feoragan said:
    Maligorn said:

I'm curious how much effort YOU think would have to go into paradox -> getting more than 1 person massively timewarped -> roomwide timequake. The burden of proof isn't on me, it's on the person making the claim.

I'd love for you to walk me through how you'd do that, because if you can't, then your argument is pointless. Moreover, you won't be able to convince the admin (the actual important decision-makers) that Aeonics needs nerfing the way you're suggesting. So if you're unwilling to prove it to me or on a public forum, DM Orael or something.

Imagine spending 10p on Paradox and nothing coming of it. That's the reality of using Paradox 99.9% of the time, allowing for user mistakes and for enemy counters (so easy). That makes it a weak skill. I don't know how you could argue otherwise.

Hallifax is in line. It wasn't in line for a long, long time. It was very below par in fact. You're confusing the word competitive with overpowered.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you coordinate (which... You should be doing??? especially if it gives you such a massive advantage, also, it's combat) then the answer is not very long at all.

If I had all the resources in the world, I'd be more than happy to endlessly log and test it so we could work to make Aeonics into something that's not what it is now.

If nothing comes of your Paradox then that's really on you. It's not a difficult concept. It's not hard to grasp or use, at all. I'll be honest, I actually worry about having this conversation in case you start trying to pull it. It'll ruin combat for WEEKS.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Aeonics to be an awful skill, I just want it to be in line with everything else that exists. Some of the abilities need to be pointless, that's pretty much a requisite of having a skill. At the moment they all do something, and that's not how this game is balanced. You might think this line is sarcastic, it's REALLY NOT. There are so many skills that have so much useless shit in them. The only vaguely weak link skill Aeonics has in it is TimeDilation, but to be fair, that's stacking with aeon and timewarp and all the other stuff. 

Hallifax's history is unimportant in the same way that SD's history or Glomdoring's history in unimportant to a balance discussion happening now. I'd probably reject that Hallifax has been historically weak though. 

Except competitive would be on par with the mirror class, not better in a multitude of ways. 

• Her voice firm and commanding, Terentia, the Even Bladed says to you, "You have kept your oath to Me, Parhelion. You have sworn to maintain Justice in these troubled times."

Yet if a boon be granted me, unworthy as I am, let it be for a steady hand with a clear eye and a fury most inflaming.
  • edited December 2019
    I don't really understand the argument about denying buffs, and I don't think that Hallifax more-or-less having steam pressure is bad balance either.

Also ur rite lol I'll just use paradox next fight and roomwide timequake thanks I wish I had thought of that earlier.
  • Keegan said:
    I don't really understand the argument about denying buffs, and I don't think that Hallifax more-or-less having steam pressure is bad balance either.

Also ur rite lol I'll just use paradox next fight and roomwide timequake thanks I wish I had thought of that earlier.
    Can't bring up something being weak/comparatively trash compared to other classes without being shouted down, so classes have stagnated as the system and other classes have changed and moved on. Also, Steam Pressure is directly better than Lucidity, which was the point being made there. 

I mean, I'm glad I've helped you out in this way. If you need any more tips, don't hesitate, I'll be there. 
  • edited December 2019
    Feoragan said:

Snald is an amazing Harbinger, he just shows up rather infrequently, and I have no clue how he does what he does. 
    Huh.  

People have been going out of their way across other mediums to try and help you understand how certain classes work, engage charitably with your "arguments", and explain context you just have flat wrong. At every single opportunity you've spat that back in everyone's face. You aren't being shouted down, people are responding directly to your "points" though by your own admission you don't know what you're talking about, and keep saying such absolute gems as "Why does Roomwide Timequake exist though, if not to be used?". Laff.

It's pretty impossible to deal with your "arguments" because they're not grounded in anything, no numbers, no use scenarios, no logs, no real theorycraft, just "this is stronger" and everyone who points out otherwise is not a genius like you or is blinded by prejudice or whatever. 

So here: put up or shut up. Provide a detailed scenario, with the times for using each ability to lead to a kill explaining how *exactly* a problem skill is a problem. Any one skill. Actual use case, and again why it causes problems (hint: it's "better than x" is not generally a problem for the game).

Edit: \/ \/ that. I was gonna bring up the testing server but couldn't offer it myself so didn't. Demonstrate please.

• Feoragan said:
    Keegan said:

Also, Steam Pressure is directly better than Lucidity

Hi, can you explain why in your own words?
    Her voice firm and commanding, Terentia, the Even Bladed says to you, "You have kept your oath to Me, Parhelion. You have sworn to maintain Justice in these troubled times."

Yet if a boon be granted me, unworthy as I am, let it be for a steady hand with a clear eye and a fury most inflaming.
  • Choros said:
    Feoragan said:
    Keegan said:

This is some laughable bait right here. Do you even play Lusternia?

I'll try that test. I assume I'll have access to stuff?

Note: Even if the Paradox thing turns out to not be as easy as it looks, that doesn't invalidate any of the commentary on the rest of the skillset.
  • Feoragan said:
    Choros said:
    Feoragan said:
    Keegan said:

This is some laughable bait right here. Do you even play Lusternia?
    No, I really want to hear what you have to say on the matter. Why is steam pressure better than lucidity pressure?
    Her voice firm and commanding, Terentia, the Even Bladed says to you, "You have kept your oath to Me, Parhelion. You have sworn to maintain Justice in these troubled times."

• edited December 2019
    Steam cures slower than Lucidity. Which means that it's easier to stack TimeWarp, AND there's more aff pressure.

Also, the only aff that stops sipping is an ice aff, as far as I'm aware. I could be wrong. Ice affs are pretty restricted. But that's not really a massive point, just an observation.

There's a very, very minor insignificant point that non-goop pipes can't be smoked underwater but this is so insignificant that it's slightly petty to seriously consider.
  • How exactly do you mean that steam cures slower than lucidity.
  • edited December 2019
    Cures don't all work at the same speed. 
    edited December 2019
    I went to check.  Slush is 1s, steam closer to 1.6s.  Dust the same as steam (apparently not affected by herblore?  What does the trans herbs ability even do now, herbs are not really eaten much...), and ice at around 2s.
  • edited December 2019
    The balances for steam/slush are the same for the affs I just tested it with.

Edit: Disregard, my timestamp on my prompts was incorrect. Steam came back at about 1.5s
  • I'm of the opinion that mental affs boast a stronger pool than steam affs; that is why lucidity is on a shorter bal than steam which has some pretty trash/filler affs. That's an opinion though, don't drag me through the mud please.

Overall I hope you learn how to improve your argument, else you'll fail hard when it comes to the next report cycle and you try a report on Aeonics. That's not meant to be malicious, just an educated prediction.

Hope you learn something useful in the test server.

• Xenthos said:
    I went to check.  Slush is 1s, steam closer to 1.6s.  Dust the same as steam (apparently not affected by herblore?  What does the trans herbs ability even do now, herbs are not really eaten much...), and ice at around 2s.
    I find it interesting that ice is 2s when monks break limbs all over the place. Again though, we've drifted so far and derailed from any points on something that didn't need to be questioned in the first place.
  • Slush extends to 1.5s when the target has temp insanity, making it the same as steam.
  • edited December 2019
    Orael said:
    Slush extends to 1.5s when the target has temp insanity, making it the same as steam.
    Also not to mention potential command denial from temp insanity.

Edit: Unless that doesn't apply to cure, which I am fairly sure it does
  • edited December 2019
    Maligorn said:
    I'm of the opinion that mental affs boast a stronger pool than steam affs; that is why lucidity is on a shorter bal than steam which has some pretty trash/filler affs. That's an opinion though, don't drag me through the mud please.

Overall I hope you learn how to improve your argument, else you'll fail hard when it comes to the next report cycle and you try a report on Aeonics. That's not meant to be malicious, just an educated prediction.

Hope you learn something useful in the test server.
    My arguments are pretty good, your attempts at derailing them don't devalue them, if anything they give them strength, as you clearly can't tackle them.

I'm not going to argue about affs and their strength, but this means that Timewarp cures slower than Tempinsanity, for one.

Edit: I stand corrected, apparently. I had no idea that TempInsanity extends slush cures, my bad. Still, it makes the spiritual aff focus of Hallifax stronger.
    Orael said:
    Slush extends to 1.5s when the target has temp insanity, making it the same as steam.