Dramaturgy

Comments

• <font size=2 face="Courier, FixedSys, Lucida Console, Courier New, Courier"><font color="#0">
    </font><font color="#C0C0C0">You perform the Climax to </font><font color="#DA70D6">Llandros</font><font color="#C0C0C0">:
    </font><font color="#DA70D6">Llandros</font><font color="#C0C0C0"> plays a gruesome lyre of festering plagues and directs the harsh notes towards you.
    </font><font color="#DA70D6">Llandros</font><font color="#C0C0C0"> plays a gruesome lyre of festering plagues and directs the harsh notes towards </font><font color="#DA70D6">Llandros</font><font color="#C0C0C0">.
    You are afflicted with deadened.
    You are afflicted with anorexia.
    You are afflicted with stupidity.
    You are afflicted with sensitivity.
    You are afflicted with paralysis.
    </font><font color="#008000">8616h, 6457m, 9271e, </font><font color="#FFFF00">5p, </font><font color="#008000">30900en, 25221w </font><font color="#C0C0C0">lrxkbp<>-</font><font color="#798000"> (XBHSPFA)</font><font color="#0080FF"> </font><font color="#808080"><u>{81.4273}</u></font><font color="#0000FF"> -425</font><font color="#90EE90"> +2
    </font></font>
    This what I saw when I climaxed all over myself. The affs aren't hidden :((

• Curios if mendacity can be effectively used to stop a warrior insta-kill? The multi message ones where you have time to code yourself to get out or to hinder them.

"He was well fed, and on his way to being slightly intoxicated--which contributed to his sense of wellbeing. And, most important, he was among friends. There can't be much more to life than this, he thought."  -Pug's thoughts on his first Ale (via Raymond Feist)

Visit my personal authorial website. (coming back up soon, with my first publications)
    Coding Resources: Mechanic's Corner | Code Academy | StackOverflow
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Llandros said:
    <font face="Courier, FixedSys, Lucida Console, Courier New, Courier" size="2"><font color="#0">
    </font><font color="#C0C0C0">You perform the Climax to </font><font color="#DA70D6">Llandros</font><font color="#C0C0C0">:
    </font><font color="#DA70D6">Llandros</font><font color="#C0C0C0"> plays a gruesome lyre of festering plagues and directs the harsh notes towards you.
    </font><font color="#DA70D6">Llandros</font><font color="#C0C0C0"> plays a gruesome lyre of festering plagues and directs the harsh notes towards </font><font color="#DA70D6">Llandros</font><font color="#C0C0C0">.
    You are afflicted with deadened.
    You are afflicted with anorexia.
    You are afflicted with stupidity.
    You are afflicted with sensitivity.
    You are afflicted with paralysis.
    </font><font color="#008000">8616h, 6457m, 9271e, </font><font color="#FFFF00">5p, </font><font color="#008000">30900en, 25221w </font><font color="#C0C0C0">lrxkbp<>-</font><font color="#798000"> (XBHSPFA)</font><font color="#0080FF"> </font><font color="#808080"><u>{81.4273}</u></font><font color="#0000FF"> -425</font><font color="#90EE90"> +2
    </font></font>
    This what I saw when I climaxed all over myself. The affs aren't hidden :((
    Mmmmh... nowhere did it say they were. Five hidden affs at once would be a bit much though, no?

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Why does Jealousy cancel out offensive song effects? How does it work?

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    To use jealousy, the bard needs to have their victim on the bard's lust list. This means that the person cannot be an enemy. It also means that the victim has zero way to avoid or stop jealousy boosting damage against them by 50%, if that's what the bard wants (and it probably is).
  • Sounds like paranoia would cancel it then. And the opponent would benefit from the passive buff songs in tha case too. Weird trade off if you ask me

• It's annoying that you NEED affmessages now to know what you get afflicted with. There should be an IC way for a character to know that (if it is not a hidden affliction).

If Lusternia wants to make an effort to facilitate curing, then introducing a whole skillset that can be used to duplicate affliction lines from other skills is certainly a huge step backwards. Not only because affmessages are required now (m&m is coded to be used without, I have no idea how much of an overhaul it will be for Vadi to change that), but also because you'll have to code in something that checks if the agent of an affline is actually a guild member of the skill that produces that line. At least if you don't want to open yourself to some pretty ugly scenarios. Nydekion came up with a nice example - An ectoplasm scene afflicting with confusion. Works only against people without soap, but there are probably loads of other combinations out there that can really screw you over if you don't invest the (considerable) time to code around it.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Oh that prestige. Makes more sense!
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    It's annoying that you NEED affmessages now to know what you get afflicted with. There should be an IC way for a character to know that (if it is not a hidden affliction).

If Lusternia wants to make an effort to facilitate curing, then introducing a whole skillset that can be used to duplicate affliction lines from other skills is certainly a huge step backwards. Not only because affmessages are required now (m&m is coded to be used without, I have no idea how much of an overhaul it will be for Vadi to change that), but also because you'll have to code in something that checks if the agent of an affline is actually a guild member of the skill that produces that line. At least if you don't want to open yourself to some pretty ugly scenarios. Nydekion came up with a nice example - An ectoplasm scene afflicting with confusion. Works only against people without soap, but there are probably loads of other combinations out there that can really screw you over if you don't invest the (considerable) time to code around it.
    And the other thing is that once someone does code around it, having it be so tricksy in the first place loses its point. Systems will universally upgrade or die out in favor of those systems that do update. 
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited March 2013

Veyrzhul said:
    It's annoying that you NEED affmessages now to know what you get afflicted with. There should be an IC way for a character to know that (if it is not a hidden affliction).

These are my exact feelings on the skillset and why it's been rubbing me the wrong way the whole time. A long time ago, we were told that affmessages were supplemental and meant to be used by people who wanted to craft very simple systems, yet more and more often they simply provide advantages that classic trigger-work never could. And now there's a whole skillset you can't cure against efficiently without them...

And the worst part is, it strengthens illusions, because now your system is open to them and it's very difficult to tell if an affmessage is the real deal or not.

It really feels like a step backwards, indeed. A skillset that actually can be triggered off of is kind of a no-brainer in its design.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    A secondary line for the afflictions like the ears bleeding one on minorsecond would be great. Keeps the creativity of the custom scenes without making affmessages compulsory.
  • edited March 2013
    I feel that either the aff msgs should be hidden completely or they should be paired with a corresponding on afflict generic or otherwise line ala poison style, since scenes do not have a specific afflict to be in line with all other skills that draw from a pool. Do the subtext affs give a line?

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Is it weird that I would feel genuinely bad using scenes to mimic other attacks/afflictions? It seems so dirty. I just want my scenes to be pretty things :(
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • edited March 2013
    Eritheyl said:

Is it weird that I would feel genuinely bad using scenes to mimic other attacks/afflictions? It seems so dirty. I just want my scenes to be pretty things :(

There's a skillset for that too. They call it illusions/glamours. Weave to your heart's content!

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Yes, that is weird.

You can maximize your attacks by providing a line that makes someone 'focus mind' every time you give them deadening.

Or 'rub cleanse' every time you give them confusion.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    It depends on the following:
    Do you want to min / max, or do you want to enjoy the system to the fullest extent possible?

Min / maxing involves 'metagaming' to get the most bang for your buck, whereas enjoyment just involves crafting your own unique things to display to others as you turn their brains to mush.
  • This all looks terribly cool and really makes me want to make a bard alt >.=.<

As for the whole argument about aff-lines and making it hard to code around for systems, I've never really liked any of these arguments that boil down to 'something in game is screwing up my external program and triggers'. Triggers are wonderful, yes, and I'd be a hypocrite if I'd say not to use them. However I'd much rather see more skills that have people wondering and fumbling about for a cure [as is thematic for this skill in particular] than have some fancy dancy system that takes the thought out of it. The challenge shouldn't be in who has the best system and can use it better, but who's paying the most attention.

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• Just double colour the afflines and be done with it.
    Xenthos said:
    Do you want to min / max, or do you want to enjoy the system to the fullest extent possible?

Min / maxing involves 'metagaming' to get the most bang for your buck, whereas enjoyment just involves crafting your own unique things to display to others as you turn their brains to mush.
    Would the bang not be negated by what people are saying is a ridiculously simple method to curing the affs, though? With the aff messages visible and all.

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Eritheyl said:

Xenthos said:

Would the bang not be negated by what people are saying is a ridiculously simple method to curing the affs, though? With the aff messages visible and all.

Subtext affliction should be masked still by the sounds of it

Oh, it is. But I'm talking outside of subtext, just the regular affs.

-

Eritheyl said:
    Xenthos said:

Not all of them are visible (the subtexts just show you are afflicted with an unknown aff, or at least something that can be added to them is).  I got stupidity masked from Tacita a bit earlier.
    I'm not entirely sure what people are expecting from this skillset, but really... it has a lot of potential as far as "cool" factor goes.  I've already seen some scenes that are very well-crafted (and, okay, a few that just make me shake my head and go "huh?"), but that's more down to the person in question.  It doesn't look like it's intended to be super-effective in group combat, so it's not something that will be picked up by the heavy min-maxers, which is honestly for the best (less likelihood for abuse).

Its single-target efficacy may need some tweaking upwards, the Jealousy effect needs a definite hammer, and the dodge thing is overkill (no matter how small the additional bonus is, taking a skill, nerfing it to fire less often, and then making it fire more often again just isn't really necessary), but other than that- I say let people play around with it for a bit before tearing into it like a pack of rabid wolves.

Sure, call out things that look OP / UP, but we don't need to be putting down everything that was put into it quite so viciously.  Sit back, take a deep breath.

* Note that this isn't just addressed at comments in this thread, but some of the others I've seen strewn around elsewhere as well.
  • Xenthos said:
    I'm not entirely sure what people are expecting from this skillset, but really... it has a lot of potential as far as "cool" factor goes.  I've already seen some scenes that are very well-crafted (and, okay, a few that just make me shake my head and go "huh?"), but that's more down to the person in question.  It doesn't look like it's intended to be super-effective in group combat, so it's not something that will be picked up by the heavy min-maxers, which is honestly for the best (less likelihood for abuse).

Its single-target efficacy may need some tweaking upwards, the Jealousy effect needs a definite hammer, and the dodge thing is overkill (no matter how small the additional bonus is, taking a skill, nerfing it to fire less often, and then making it fire more often again just isn't really necessary), but other than that- I say let people play around with it for a bit before tearing into it like a pack of rabid wolves.

Sure, call out things that look OP / UP, but we don't need to be putting down everything that was put into it quite so viciously.  Sit back, take a deep breath.

* Note that this isn't just addressed at comments in this thread, but some of the others I've seen strewn around elsewhere as well.
    Yeah, I'm personally very impressed with the skillset.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
    edited March 2013
    Derp derp derp.

-

• edited March 2013
    Nihta was hillariously slain by Synkarin.

Lol'd.

(I assume this had something to do with Dramaturgy)
    Looks like pratfall, I was hoping it had something custom <3

-

• Liok said:
    Nihta was hillariously slain by Synkarin.

Lol'd.

(I assume this had something to do with Dramaturgy)
    Ugh that typo. It bothered me the first time, now you bring it up again!
  • edited March 2013
    Upon testing the pratfall bug for fun:

6811h, 9058m, 9900e, 10p exk<>-
    Your masochistic tendencies go into remission.
    Synkarin pokes you in the eye with two fingers, causing you fall backwards onto your bum. Nihta 
    rolls into you, causing you to bellyflop onto the ground. Nihta attempts to stand, but instead slams 
    her head into your groin, causing you to somersault over Nihta. As Nihta flips end over end, her 
    feet plunge into your stomach, causing you to fly backwards. Nihta crashes into you, and you both go 
    sprawling down in a tangle of flailing limbs.
    Synkarin stares at you with a twisted combination of lust and hate.
    A magic aura flares around you and completely absorbs the damage.
    Synkarin's eyes darken to a greasy, oily black, his mouth opening as a shadowy spirit crow spits a 
    cancerous pustule at you.
    Synkarin's eyes darken to a greasy, oily black, his mouth opening as a shadowy spirit crow spits a 
    cancerous pustule at you.
    Your spine breaks with a sickening crack, and you immediately die.
    You have been slain by Synkarin.
    (p) 0h, 9083m, 9504e, 10p ep<>-

(m&m): We died.

^ that was one attack that happened instantly, for clarification
  • That's the death message from pratfall.