Why do you play (or keep playing) Lusternia?

The past couple weeks, Lusternia has felt so busy to me that I barely know what to do anymore. I have a huge laundry list of things that I'd like to finish on a daily basis now, as well as the numerous long-term things I'd like to accomplish.  Tonight was the first time I've sat idle in probably two weeks of playing at least 5 hours every day, and even then it was only because work today was absolutely draining and my fingers are too heavy.

It wasn't always this way, though.  Every other time I've played Lusternia, whether on Kio (on whom I first stepped out of the portal) or any other alt, I always get discouraged after a month and a half or two months.  I always lean toward learning combat because that's where I have the most adrenaline-filled fun-times.  But alas, I always get bored and start feeling lonely because everyone is so elitist and runs around in their little cliques without ever interacting with anyone else.

So, this time, when I logged onto Kio, I did something different.  I took every chance I could to talk to anyone or anything that moved.  I stopped waiting for someone to look at me and say, "Hey there, why don't you come play on our side of the playground today?"  Clearly this is what I've always neglected to do in the past.

All it took was trying my damnedest to RP turning into a tree.  That's it.  I sat back and told myself, "You're not ______ today, you're Kio Erid'in.  You're turning into a tree and you feel rejected by your family.  You've never met this Elanorwen person before, but you're going to talk to her.  You're not going to wait for her to tell you what you should be feeling or how you should be acting - you're just going to do it and see what she does."  Wouldn't you know it?  Look at all this stuff I have to play with now.  This side of the playground is so much fun.

Just getting the courage to leave my comfort zone and try to make my own story unfold with Elanorwen was all it took.  She gave me at least an hour of her time, and all I had to do was ask.  As a player, that interaction completely and totally changed the way I play Lusternia.  Instead of being excited to get off work, come home, and mindlessly wait for combat-spam, I get excited about the ritual I spent a week writing, which I performed in front of two people Kio had never met before, messed up terribly because the notepad I had everything in flipped out on me right before I started, and ended with Xenthos giving Kio a fourty-five minute private lesson on growing up.  I get excited because I saw something interesting while I was at work and it gave me a design idea.  I get excited about a big question I want to ask Thul about the fae so I can listen to him as he fleshes out a person in front of me, made of sweat, dedication, and innumerable stories about the unending lore of this text-based world I'm taking a break in.  I get excited because, on my way home from work, I finally thought of how I can give Lyora the cookie she always wants from Kio even though he's a forger.

All these stories are happening because there are other people who want to mix their imagination with mine.  They've sat aside part of their day to come play pretend with me, but I never stepped up.  So, I just want to take a minute and say thanks:

@Elanorwen: For the above.
@Iorwen: For a relation to the above.  You sat with Kio as he tried to rub out his aching limbs after waking up from decades of sleep.  That spot is now his favorite place in Glomdoring.
@Morkarion: For the first time you interacted with Kio, looking over his design for fullplate.  You didn't just shock me ICly, you shocked me OOCly.  You are best big-mean-scary-guy.
@Septim: You're the best Keeps there is, especially because you let Kio call you that.
@Nihta: For being an uppity snob and telling Kio exactly what you thought of him.
@Celina: For bringing me, as a player, into the first Order I've ever been part of.  I haven't done much with it yet, but I'm still trying to figure out how.  It's on my to-do list.
@Thoros: For leading so many raids.  You may not realize it, but your patience is what made me not afraid to die in a fight.
@Alary: For that time Kio tried to eat you.
@Malarious: For that time Kio lied to you when you were engraving his nekai.  Also for the threatening of tearing off your man-bits to immediately follow.
@Xenthos: For the above.  You basically gave Kio a new family.
@Lyora: For making Kio wet himself on a routine basis.  He wouldn't be engaged if it wasn't for you.
@Thul: For being such an influential force on Kio, from the time he was Mister Tree to the time he became your fiance.  As a player, thank you for dealing with my numerous, panic-inducing typos that I secretly pray you don't catch.  I get very wound up by the vision in my head and can't seem to pour it onto the keyboard fast enough, so I often forget you're on the other end.  I'm trying to get better at it, I promise!
@Chade: For making not only Kio, but the player behind him, feel pretty awesome about all the hard work he's been putting in to trying to understand warrior combat.
@Viynain: For that time when you were Xiel and thought Kio would make a halfway decent son.

Anywho!  It's super late and I'm partially just feeling really sentimental lately, so apologies for being a big cloud of mushy softness.  This aside, I've been thinking about this all day after the "Eventru said we can't have spears!" offshoot in the alternate weapon nouns thread: the player behind Kio wants to know why you, the player behind whoever you are, plays Lusternia.  What exactly is Lusternia for you?

Comments

• A time investment. Mainly because I spent so much time invested in my character, I would hate seeing that go to waste. I tried putting up goals, reach city rank 6, reach GR 19 in the guild, reach demigod, reach omni trans (that one isn't completed), join a family, have a child, build an aethercity... That last one I finished, but there are always the small things you can add on to, but it is a reason to stay kind of motivated to keep playing.

But if I were to get my time and money back from something. Would I keep on playing? I honestly don't know. 
  • Somebody's got to make sure the halls of the void stay appropriately organized. Seems every time I go inactive we get another three thousand books, half of which are tagged and half of those are tagged appropriately. Plus, reading every single thing that gets published is pretty enjoyable.

Also, the discussions I've been having with various people nearly every day recently.  I guess that's something. You hit the nail on the head about needing to seek it out, though.
  • For me, I haven't reached my goal yet. Once I do, though, I expect I'll set up another goal.

Odds are I won't reach my goal for a long while though, so... yeah.
  • edited May 2013
    You never lied to Malarious, you kept a secret and Malarious went along with it.

Elanorwen told him Kio was gay.  ^_^ 

The person you stated they were for also isn't around enough for you to have been dating. /stalker

Malarious stays in Lusternia primarily for combat and balancing, it is intriguing to no end trying to balance skills and abilities. The combat has devolved over time, things getting higher damage, faster affs, etc from even the days of revised monks.  -I- think it is powercreep, he thinks it is just the natural trend of things to improve over time. He misses the days of duels and mag tag but rolls with the punches.  His goals are unattainable:

1) Achieve balance between the skills, convincing the very divine to correct the weave (yes Malarious views envoys ICly).  He gets poked by envoys alot, and he actively seeks them out when they are needed for something.

2) Being known for his ability to adapt and use any skills for combat, and his ability to execute various "missions" and kills easily.

3) Become an Ascendant.  To him a vernal ascendant isnt demi+, it is the organization telling him he belongs there. It is not taken lightly, it is a vested effort. This is why he is known to try new things if he does not ascend (not org change generally, but even guild hops), so he moves toward growth.

As to why I haven't left Lusty personally. I was looking at it briefly, until several of you told me not to!
  • The Nightshades. Far and above anything else, the Nightshades.
  • Oh Alianna. <3

It's the past and potential memories for me. I google old quotes a lot. (I'd end up naming a third of all Serens so I'm resisting the urge to make this a huge wall of text.) Generally being useful. Teaching newbies and trying to figure out what aspect of Lusternia or the Moondancers will be most appealing for them (much easier when they ask questions). The excitement from resurgemming people in time, daring to stay in Faethorn even when scary Gloms are detected.

Scripting's also super fun. And custom emotes. Two reasons why I've never been as addicted to graphic MMORPGS. But it's really all the friends and enemies and relations in between that I think of first whenever I come back to Lusternia. Also the Fae (influencing's therapeutic okay).
    Active: Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday EST

• Hey! I'm not scary. I just want to play.
  • Mudsex

(says half the basin)

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Ixion said:

Mudsex

(says half the basin)

Did not.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I feel a need to explain. When I started Lusternia, I had fun. Steep learning curve but I had time on my hands and I could play it as school. But I never invested any money into it. I loved it for rp, and played a good while and never got past level 71. There just wasn't enough to keep me.

And then I got really bored three-four months ago. I decided to start fresh, clean slate. Never expecting to stay long. But I put money into credits anyway. I feel now I am going to stay for a while.  Not just because I put money into it. I've made friends, good friends. My character is getting somewhere. I feel involved like I didn't before. And that's what matters.
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
  • There were two people who were the main reasons I stayed once I actually created Dramshanks and entered the realms, originally it was Druken but it quickly became @Astraea

I stay because of Glomdoring. The ethos and feel of our gloomy bunch keep me going.

Nothing matters but my darling Ickytrees.

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Obsessive personality with games and the challenges that keep me in them.

That being the desire to accomplish many goals, and in a game as wide open as this there are LOTS of goals.

On going storylines and RP, some stuff short term, some very long term that I want to share with the world when the story is written and can be told.

Oh and the people are alright I suppose >.>

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• The thing that keeps drawing me back time after time is the world's story. It's an interesting, vaguely tragic, and ridiculously detailed setting, and that gets me inspired to do some writing of my own. It's an amazingly creative community we've got here, and it shows in the Bardics, in the libraries, in the guilds, in the designs and in the day to day RP you get just being part of a group.

...also, I'm with Mork in the obsessive personality boat. This time around: second trade and three curio sets. And so help me, if I don't stop myself, I'm going to have Trans in five different trades.
  • edited February 2014

• Because: you guys.