Cooking Curios!

We added a new curio type, this one you get through cooking! I thought it was a neat idea and note that since you get one chance per game month to get the curio through cooking, you don't have to cook all day to try to get the curio through crafting. (We had talked about a super small chance each time you craft but I think this way is a little more user-friendly.)

The question, as always, is what the curios should do. The cooking curios don't do anything except transform into unique food except if you get the collection. The collection power is a small crit hit bonus against mobs which stacks up to 5x--but even if you are bashing under a 5x crit hit cooking curio blessing, it's not a big bonus (smaller than a clover bonus even at 5x). In other words, they were meant to be something more rp-related and less must-have items. However, I've underestimated how players will react to curio powers before and at least one person has expressed concern that this is more feature creep! I'd be interested in ideas for future curio powers that aren't too powerful but still are useful.

But for those who like curios or cooking or fun items, I hope you enjoy them!

Comments

• Sounds interesting... kinda curious to see what constitutes a "unique food item." But it's gonna be a bit. >_> <_< Is this going to be the chocolate fountain?

Is the same acquisition system going to be used for Tattoo curios if/when they come out? Don't exactly have any consumables to make with that, so I'm going to have to pin someone down and ink them every IG month.

*girn Kio*
  • Thul said:

Sounds interesting... kinda curious to see what constitutes a "unique food item." But it's gonna be a bit. >_> <_< Is this going to be the chocolate fountain?

Is the same acquisition system going to be used for Tattoo curios if/when they come out? Don't exactly have any consumables to make with that, so I'm going to have to pin someone down and ink them every IG month.

*girn Kio*
    Challenge accepted.
  • Heh, not sure if we're going to do tattoos! (I think Kelly was joking about watching a tattooist scrape off tattoos and re-tatting someone over and over!) If we do more trade curios, they'd probably be for the common ones (i.e., not tied to an archetype) like tailoring, jewelry, etc. As for unique food items, well, you can blame Xena at least for one!
  • edited July 2013
    I have very, very mixed feelings here. For the most part, I just really don't like curios. At all. But I do appreciate the ability to gain pieces just from performing your trade in this instance, even if it's slight. I feel less bitter over being unable to buy credits, and therefore really get -into- the curio craze. But at the same time...it's more and more and more curios.

As with Thul, I'm eager to see how they're going to play out for the rest of the trades, if nothing else.

Edit: Oh, not for tattoos...well nevermind :-<
  • I love collections (the prime teleport ones are awesome) and a critical bonus is always useful. Neat idea!
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    My only concern is that this is feature creeping on crit ratios.

With runes/kirigami/clover(or wheel) and kiwi punch already in existance, do we need a stackable crit buff on top? Yes it's a small bonus but every little helps, when you add them all together you end up with some crazy critical hit rates.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Just to be clear: Getting 40 pieces does not mean you will complete the set. You will have many duplicates and will need to continue collecting. What it does mean is that you at least have enough extra pieces to make an attempt at trading.

If others are not collecting (due to the chance being infinitesimal), then you are going to need many, many more.

Save us, Estarra! You are our only hope!
  • Estarra said:
    Heh, not sure if we're going to do tattoos! (I think Kelly was joking about watching a tattooist scrape off tattoos and re-tatting someone over and over!) If we do more trade curios, they'd probably be for the common ones (i.e., not tied to an archetype) like tailoring, jewelry, etc. As for unique food items, well, you can blame Xena at least for one!
    Just one comment about this... I think limiting it to common trades would be detrimental to the game, since that would create an incentive to choose the common trade skills as opposed to the archetype trade skills, and we already have few enough people as it is that are enchanters/alchemists/what-have-you. We don't need even fewer of them.
    edited July 2013
    Herbs power set: when you have all of them, the pot curio lets you plant an herb in it; this basically acts like a room of that herb (it grows normally, can be harvested / watered, caps at 60). Perhaps even non-herbalists could pick from it at a 50% loss.
    Poisons set: Attune it to a specific poison and it will continue to refill with a vial of that poison every month. (Possibly more than one, could be discussed)
    Tailoring set: Minor influencing buff.
    Jewellery set: Affect prestige by a level (can toggle it to be positive or negative).
    Bookbinding set: Each set lets you learn 1 additional language.
  • People will cook regardless of curios. Some won't be collecting, so gather them all into your own personal cooking sweatshop.

Or not, that sounds disgusting.

Looks like you can buy them directly too.
    Dys said:

People will cook regardless of curios. Some won't be collecting, so gather them all into your own personal cooking sweatshop.

Or not, that sounds disgusting.

Looks like you can buy them directly too.

Which would be part of the observation that you might as well not be able to get them via cooking, I imagine. 800 rl days for 40 pieces without the spatula... yeah. :p
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    There was no dissuading Estarra away from curio excitement! So, at least for me, I thought steering curios towards unique or fun powers/effects, that specifically did not introduce perks that were "must-haves" to remain top-tier, were the way to go. But I suppose what should have been made more explicit was that combat perks are not the only concern, but also anything that affects the Ascension seal events primarily, and secondarily other similar contests (so things like affecting your rate of hunting or influencing, and even to an extent transportation around Prime). That said, the crit bonus was a bit surprising to throw in there for cooking curios, and being a hunting snob myself I almost feel compelled to take up cooking and get the curios just to stay on top, which goes against my underlying sentiment that curios should be fun/whimsical or low-impact. The ideas that Xenthos came up with are more along the lines of minor things that won't cause any waves. 
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Yeah, even minor, a stacking crit bonus (that doesn't outstrip clover bonus, but does stack with it) isn't exactly rp-related only. 
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Anything that adds a mechanical advantage is not an RP perk--it is a mechanical perk, and is treated as such. No perk is too small when completing for anything. I personally don't care for curios and have no motivation to get any, but I thought it was ironic that in a thread about the need to massively rewrite and rebalance the game because of feature creep, a new mechanical advantage feature was introduced.

I don't really have a problem with cooking curios. They don't affect me in any way. But I think their introduction failed to grasp what led too the need for a combat overhaul in the first place: continuing to add new mechanics, items, and features that give new mechanical perks. Eventually, it gets to be too much for the system to handle, and our current problem comes up again. Everything is a small perk when introduced. It's the sheer number and their necessity to be competitive that makes the problem bigger.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • I understand what you're saying but it's not like we're planning to cease new artifacts, curios, skills, etc. Then we would just be a stagnant MUD that never does anything new!

Good input though, I'll think about reviewing the chance for cooks to get the curios.
  • Okay, updated it to a chance of one curio per game day on first attempt that day rather than per month. If we find too many curios are spawning or other unforeseen repercussions, we may change it in the future but there you go!
    Now I am going to have to leave cooking active, I guess. :o
    Dys said:
    People will cook regardless of curios. Some won't be collecting, so gather them all into your own personal cooking sweatshop. Or not, that sounds disgusting. Looks like you can buy them directly too.
    "For five days now, the entire flipping factory's been on the job. They haven't shelled a peanut in there since Monday. They've been shelling flaming chocolate bars cooking flaming cupcakes from dawn till dusk! "
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Wish we had more of the old-style curios, where we could anchor them to our manse rooms.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    edited July 2013
    Yes! More curios that serve no purpose but to be shiny and pretty and follow you around!

Edit As opposed to more and more and more and more perks and powers and buffs....

• Estarra said:
    Heh, not sure if we're going to do tattoos! (I think Kelly was joking about watching a tattooist scrape off tattoos and re-tatting someone over and over!) If we do more trade curios, they'd probably be for the common ones (i.e., not tied to an archetype) like tailoring, jewelry, etc. As for unique food items, well, you can blame Xena at least for one!
    I MUST have the cupcake one!
    -----

Nilofer says, "Xena is here, riding Xena, the Xenaesque Xena. She is wielding Xena in both of her hands."
    I agree, the toy afflictions were 100% the most fun. If the first few collections of things weren't significant combat items, I wouldn't have bothered after I got my fun toy curios.
  • edited July 2013
    Thought I might as well use this thread.

I'm looking to complete the following, with the other pieces for trade:

*************************[ PARTIAL GINGER BOTTLE ]*************************

ID: 7653
                      Curio Set: Ginger Bottle
                           Part: Partial Ginger Bottle
                     Collection: Spice
                           Type: Magic Bottles
                          Power: None

Empty Ginger Bottle: Complete
          First Pinch Of Ginger: Complete
         Second Pinch Of Ginger: Missing
          Third Pinch Of Ginger: Missing
         Fourth Pinch Of Ginger: Complete
          Fifth Pinch Of Ginger: Complete
          Sixth Pinch Of Ginger: Complete
        Seventh Pinch Of Ginger: Complete
         Eighth Pinch Of Ginger: Complete
          Ninth Pinch Of Ginger: Complete

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

*************************[ PARTIAL ANISE BOTTLE ]**************************

ID: 7814
                      Curio Set: Anise Bottle
                           Part: Partial Anise Bottle

Empty Anise Bottle: Complete
           First Pinch Of Anise: Missing
          Second Pinch Of Anise: Complete
           Third Pinch Of Anise: Complete
          Fourth Pinch Of Anise: Complete
           Fifth Pinch Of Anise: Missing
           Sixth Pinch Of Anise: Missing
         Seventh Pinch Of Anise: Complete
          Eighth Pinch Of Anise: Complete
           Ninth Pinch Of Anise: Complete

*************************[ PARTIAL NUTMEG BOTTLE ]*************************

ID: 8274
                      Curio Set: Nutmeg Bottle
                           Part: Partial Nutmeg Bottle

Empty Nutmeg Bottle: Missing
          First Pinch Of Nutmeg: Missing
         Second Pinch Of Nutmeg: Complete
          Third Pinch Of Nutmeg: Complete
         Fourth Pinch Of Nutmeg: Complete
          Fifth Pinch Of Nutmeg: Complete
          Sixth Pinch Of Nutmeg: Complete
        Seventh Pinch Of Nutmeg: Complete
         Eighth Pinch Of Nutmeg: Complete
          Ninth Pinch Of Nutmeg: Complete

*************************[ PARTIAL CLOVE BOTTLE ]**************************

ID: 8347
                      Curio Set: Clove Bottle
                           Part: Partial Clove Bottle

Empty Clove Bottle: Complete
          First Pinch Of Cloves: Complete
         Second Pinch Of Cloves: Missing
          Third Pinch Of Cloves: Complete
         Fourth Pinch Of Cloves: Complete
          Fifth Pinch Of Cloves: Complete
          Sixth Pinch Of Cloves: Complete
        Seventh Pinch Of Cloves: Complete
         Eighth Pinch Of Cloves: Complete
          Ninth Pinch Of Cloves: Complete

321     Piece    Ketchup Bottle       Burger       Seventh Squirt Of Ketchup
    407     Piece    Cinnamon Bottle      Cinnamon     Seventh Pinch Of Cinnamon
    7820    Piece    Mayonnaise Bottle    Burger       Second Squirt Of Mayonnaise
    7931    Piece    Salsa Bottle         Fiery        Seventh Cup Of Salsa
    7948    Piece    Basil Bottle         Curry        First Pinch Of Dried Basil
    7954    Piece    Ketchup Bottle       Burger       Eighth Squirt Of Ketchup
    7965    Piece    Yellow Bottle        Cupcake      Eighth Cup Of Yellow Sprink
    8231    Piece    Peppers Bottle       Fiery        Third Bunch Of Hot Peppers
    8329    Piece    Ketchup Bottle       Burger       Third Squirt Of Ketchup
    8331    Piece    Coconut Milk Bottle  Curry        Ninth Cup Of Coconut Milk
    8333    Piece    Ketchup Bottle       Burger       First Squirt Of Ketchup
    8340    Piece    Sage Bottle          Pasta        Fifth Pinch Of Sage
    8342    Piece    Peppers Bottle       Fiery        Ninth Bunch Of Hot Peppers
    8350    Piece    Sage Bottle          Pasta        Seventh Pinch Of Sage
    8354    Piece    Curry Bottle         Curry        Sixth Pinch Of Curry
    8357    Piece    Salt Bottle          Fried        Seventh Pinch Of Salt
    8373    Rare     Ketchup Bottle       Burger       Empty Ketchup Bottle
    8396    Rare     Allspice Bottle      Fried        Empty Allspice Bottle

I feel like I need to say that this 10% chance every hour is still incredibly slow & tedious.  :(

I'd still far prefer something like a 25% chance without spatula, 50-100% chance with spatula.  The check happens on the first cooking chance per IC day, but once you've received one (possibly 2 with spatula) that month, you cannot generate any more.  Makes it plausible for more casual players, doesn't encourage people just afking with triggers to cook on the day change.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    I think getting curios for essentially doing nothing is bonkers already. It doesn't need to be any better!
    edited July 2013
    Kelly said:
    I think getting curios for essentially doing nothing is bonkers already. It doesn't need to be any better!
    You can set up triggers to just generate an average of 2.4 every day if you want at present.

I don't really see any problem with capping that to be a maximum of 1, but allowing people who are less interested in "gaming the system" a better ability to participate.  There are a lot of curios in these sets, so it's still going to take an extraordinarily long time to make anything of 'em.

Some of those waystation curios (also, that vernal curio for doing the Catacombs) are all "essentially doing nothing" in terms of complexity too. And you can complete them more than once per RL day!
    Since I was kind of curious what Kio was getting at here, I had a bit of a discussion with him, and came to the conclusion that there are two separate things going on here.

1) There is a distaste amongst a portion of the playerbase with curios, because they are a "distraction".  They divert people from doing what they normally would, to instead spending time on collection / generation / min-maxing / etc. (a part of the game with very little interaction).
    2) There are also the collectors who are actively trying to generate the pieces, and run head-first into whatever problems / headache / tedium is involved in the doing thereof.

Unfortunately, it's a difficult line to walk.  If you're vehemently opposed to the idea of curio generation in-game because you feel it waters down the game, there's not really much ground to compromise on.  Any form of curio generation is "too much," no matter how limited in quantity.  On the other side, if you're a collector... you run into a lot of the same issues.  You're throwing yourself into an activity over and over (regardless of whether or not it's something you would normally do), and find yourself spending a lot of your time just working on that new aspect of the game (here's looking at you, Soulless curios) and wallowing in tedium.

I'm not really sure how to reconcile these mindsets, though.  I doubt curios are going anywhere, so being staunchly opposed to any changes to their generation whatsoever isn't likely to go far.  However, I would like to think it's possible to tweak things somewhat so that they feel less like a diversion that players are spending all their time on, and that's kind of what I was aiming for here; making it so that min-maxing it does not provide extra benefits (no reward for just staying online baking 24/7), but instead trying to adjust it a bit so that overall generation rate doesn't really increase but more casual players have a chance to actually get somewhere.

Personally, I see that as the best direction to go here.  Attempt to discourage just plain constant grinding, and to give more casual players a chance to actually pick away at it (which under the current system just doesn't work very well, with the percentages- it appears to be designed around the concept of being spam-generated 24/7).  Note that this would also go over very well for quest curios, because some of those are just absolutely terrible as far as drawing a person away from actual game participation (again, here's looking at you, Soulless curio set).  If pieces were easier to generate but were capped at a certain number per weave, there would be actual mechanical reason to just stop the grinding and play the "real game".
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    My deepest and most satisfying roleplay came from raising the goloth over and over.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Yeah, I kind of agree with Kio there. I get curios because otherwise, you get left behind in the dust. (I'll need to farm some more soonish, too) Never you mind how you can just theoretically throw credits at it and never actually get anywhere either.

The bubble curios were a flop considering the tedium, cost and the end result being that possibly three-four people have any at present. The cooking curios? Well... if it affects crit rate, we have a problem with the death domoth, don't we, and not a minor one either. True, crit runes also have that perk, but eh... those tend to be expensive past level 1.

I don't see the point of constantly adding more and more curios. True, it's something new to add to the game, but come on now, people are begging for monks, there's discussion about a full combat revamp, etc, etc... those aren't new things to add? Never you mind extra skillsets for other guilds that didn't get any shinies... although I can see how those might end up being postponed for after the revamp.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.