General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• I feel overwhelmingly ill-prepared for Christmas.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Talan said:
    I feel overwhelmingly ill-prepared for Christmas.
    This is my life. Christmas honestly even all that important to me, but it's The Most Important Day Ever (TM) to everyone around me, where even the slightest of errors is treated like the end of the world. So I'm constantly going back and rechecking, redoing, and trying not to fall behind.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • I don't even know if this would be raves or dissatisfaction.  

The fundraiser is over, thank god, and it's time to move on to the next project.  My birthday party on Saturday.  I've been planning to go to a local restaurant called Trent's.  A couple of weeks ago I called and got a kind of confusing answer, that we might have to wait and they'll try to put us together but might not be able to, etc.  So this has led me to panicking over what to do - should I wait it out and see what they say when I call in closer to the date, or try and change venues.  I never made a decision, which I guess is actually the decision to wait it out.

Called today and spoke with a different manager that actually made an attempt at being helpful and nice.  She said it shouldn't be a problem to accommodate us, though we'll probably be at two different tables.  It's a small place, I assumed there would be some breaking up, I'm just hoping that means two tables beside each other and not all the way across the restaurant.

I made the mistake of not being terribly clear, however.  I told her I have 18 CONFIRMED, but didn't think fast enough (I panic on phone calls a lot) to tell her that it might be more, because some people don't know until it gets right on top of them.  So I'm all anxious, I want this to work out and I'm not sure it will.  And trying to change venue now is a bad idea.  But the manager said she can accommodate us, so here's hoping.

Dissatisfaction that my birthday has left me this stressed.  Not even the plans, even - I just don't want to turn 30.  Maybe I shouldn't have let my mom talk me into this.  Pleaseworkout pleaseworkout pleaseworkout...

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    30 isn't bad, It's the new twenties.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Ugh. Watching poor management destroy what could have been an amazing job opportunity for a kind and talented friend of mine. It's killing me to watch her frantically try to clean up his PR messes while he continues to act like everything is ok. Just fuming.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited December 2015
    My lab has done fantastic this year. Ended up far above budget, our revenue per analyst is second best in the company (it was last when I started, not to toot my own horn, but -toot toot-). We've been killing TAT and customer service. It's been going fantastic. All year we've heard how great we're doing, how we're exceeding expectations. On Tuesday we have a regional meeting where our RD reiterates these points and says how great we've been.

Wednesday, we get an email from our General Manager, per orders of the Executive Committee that due to other divisions of my company not meeting their budget, Every hourly person in the company is expected to take 3 days of furlough (unpaid time off) throughout the first 3 months of the year. Salaried people will have their paychecks reduced by 5% for the first 3 months and are expected to work 5% less (how? I have no idea, what a stupid thing to say). 

So yes, here we are doing sooo great, and now we get kicked in the nuts with this. Awesome for morale.

Also, I found out the same time my employees did, no heads up, nothing. Thanks guys.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.

• Sciomore said:
    @Sylandra and @Synkarin: Shoot them with a giant death beam. It works for me.
    Unfortunately, though, it seems you only get one shot at it.

Synkarin said:
    My lab has done fantastic this year. Ended up far above budget, our revenue per analyst is second best in the company (it was last when I started, not to toot my own horn, but -toot toot-). We've been killing TAT and customer service. It's been going fantastic. All year we've heard how great we're doing, how we're exceeding expectations. On Tuesday we have a regional meeting where our RD reiterates these points and says how great we've been.

Wednesday, we get an email from our General Manager, per orders of the Executive Committee that due to other divisions of my company not meeting their budget, Every hourly person in the company is expected to take 3 days of furlough (unpaid time off) throughout the first 3 months of the year. Salaried people will have their paychecks reduced by 5% for the first 3 months and are expected to work 5% less (how? I have no idea, what a stupid thing to say). 

So yes, here we are doing sooo great, and now we get kicked in the nuts with this. Awesome for morale.

Also, I found out the same time my employees did, no heads up, nothing. Thanks guys.
    And this is why I hate companies and corporations. My wife has been getting the short end of the stick by her company (it is retail, after all), even though her managers and supervisors are doing everything they can not to shaft their employees. It's the regional and national higher ups who keep screwing them over.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited December 2015
    I found out during our year end meeting that, as an internal promote that has made my way up the ranks, I make roughly 15k/year less than external hires. I outperform all the externals and have been denied raises to be competitive with them. 

Then they proceeded to tell us we had a 25% attrition rate for my current role, and were trying to figure out why so many people were leaving. 

I raised my hand and said "Maybe it's all the internals you aren't paying."

Awkward silence.

@Synkarin: Just stop finishing projects and tasks. Do all the work and just before you complete it, stop.
  • Celina said:
    I found out during our year end meeting that, as an internal promote that has made my way up the ranks, I make roughly 15k/year less than external hires. I outperform all the externals and have been denied raises to be competitive with them. 

Then they proceeded to tell us we had a 25% attrition rate for my current role, and were trying to figure out why so many people were leaving. 

I raised my hand and said "Maybe it's all the internals you aren't paying."

Awkward silence.

@Synkarin: Just stop finishing projects and tasks. Do all the work and just before you complete it, stop.

They just promoted a handful of us at work without raises......
    Stangmar - Retired

TL;DR: All of our jobs suck
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    I just made half a months paycheck in one day. That was pretty cool.
  • I work at a place where we all get the same salary. Which, y'know, kinda sucks since I'm essentially the sub-head of two different departments. The heads of each pretty much argue over who is to get me. I still don't make a penny more than a random guy who just slouches around and drags their feet behind them, essentially doing half of what I do. Yay...
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    The joys of working for a family business that has a monopoly since our corporate overlords deauthorized all of our competition.

Granted, that comes with twelve to sixteen hour days, feeling pretty constantly stressed out, and what at times feels like me snapping and watching myself go apeshit over something inconsequential. That's been fun. But hey, making that money and working on getting healthy is still going good. On track to be where I wanted to be weight wise in another nine months. Just gotta keep it together until then.
  • Synkarin said:

I had exactly the same thing earlier this year.  It really sucked and was a kick in the guts after I had been working insane hours and traveling lots at the expense of my family.  @Lavinya will tell you there was a lot of swearing for a couple of days.

Short story is, check your employment contract.  For me they couldn't actually do it and were only using it as a excuse to 'not make redundancies'.  On this basis, I refused to comply because my team was performing and had exceeded all KPIs.  Issue went away quickly when we continued to perform and all the performance went further backwards for all groups that did comply.

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Qistrel said:
    Hopefully this isn't too political, but...

Our finance minister was trying to stop wasteful government expenditure. So the president fired him. Naturally, this caused foreign investors to pull out of the country, and our exchange rate to plummet to an all-time-low.

The next day:
    The solstice crates are back by popular demand!

:(( :(( :((

:(

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I truly thought I had my anxiety under control, but it is rearing its ugly head in a big way with this move. I did manage not to get any tears in the cupcake batter this morning, at least.  :\">
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Daraius said:
    I truly thought I had my anxiety under control, but it is rearing its ugly head in a big way with this move. I did manage not to get any tears in the cupcake batter this morning, at least.  :\">
    Moving is absolutely the worst for anxiety. :( The good news is, in my experience, things cool down once your life calms down. Hope things resemble some semblance of order for you soon.  :x
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    I moved 5 times in 6 years, I know that anxiety well.

• RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    edited December 2015
    Try moving 10 times in 3 years.

Granted, it was about one-bedroom-apartment's worth of stuff, but still. Eesh.

So much lost mail.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

Rancoura said:
    Try moving 10 times in 3 years.

Granted, it was about one-bedroom-apartment's worth of stuff, but still. Eesh.

So much lost mail.
    My wife (then fiancee) and I each had a one-bedroom-apartment of stuff (couldn't live together in one apartment, silly rules). It made moving me up here really easy--all of our stuff combined pretty much fit in one small moving truck.

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Not really dissatisfaction so much as a need to rant or cry out about life in general, re: my friend with type-1 diabetes. Hidden under spoilers because I didn't realise how much I wrote, and I don't want to stretch out the page a tonne.

[spoiler]

Now, this friend and I are really close. In fact, I'd say he's like the older brother I always wanted, and as such I have no problem pitching in when he needs help around the house or just chilling with him to hang out. Because of his condition, a lot of his friends treat him really delicately and I guess he likes the fact that I treat him like a normal human being, so we've seen a lot of each other the past couple of months. So for those of you who don't know, everything f#$@s with your blood sugar, from eating to not eating and stress to sleep. Normally he and I just have a gentleman's agreement to let me stab him and then stab him again if necessary (checking his sugar and insulin if his pump [a neat little thing he has that constantly sends a stream of insulin into his body at a programmable rate] needs a little boost). However, with the holidays coming around and his fiancee's brother (who is an avid smoker and has not come even close to honouring our requests/agreemnt to smoke outside) moving in with them, he's more stressed than ever. To top all that stress off, a surgery he had about a year ago never healed properly, so it decided to get infected.

Every hour one of us checks his sugar (him if he's able and me if he's not) and other than that we go on like two young adults should: playing video games, doing housework, watching bad anime on Netflix, and being general rapscallions of the highest order. Once again, though, the holidays have kicked in and his fiancee is being called into work more and more, and a pesky coworker keeps her from getting her fair share of pay (by cheating the system, but that's another story), and he's even more stressed about her and being unable to contribute fully (due to a brief stint in the military and their oh-so-famous medical care, he has fused vertebrae that prevent him from working), so with his mind out of whack and his sugar being hijacked by every source of stress and outside interaction possible, he's yoyo-ing between manageable levels (low-mid 100s) to over 600, which most glucose readers can't register and simply relate as 'high'. 

A few days ago, as I said somewhere earlier, he was admitted to hospital for DKA, which is a comatose-like state that diabetics can fall into if their sugar isn't regulated properly. He's been in it before, and before you conk out there are definite signs that he was (luckily) able to recognise and get to treatment in time. Unfortunately, they gave him an active bloody flu virus while he was there, which you're not supposed to do for people with weakened immune systems. So not only did he catch the flu, but because my immune system is almost nonexistant, I also caught the flu from him. Now I've been running myself ragged trying to keep him stable at the cost of my own health some times while treating him for the flu and dealing with the stressful work environment his fiancee has. I've been managing it poorly but today is supposed to be the last day that I was scheduled to stay over here. I want to go home, but I've been the one checking his sugar between the hours of 2300 and 0500, and then during the day when she's at work. I'm deathly afraid that if I go, he'll fall asleep (high sugar turns him into a lethargic old man) and not check his sugar for hours, get sick, and he'll be bent over the toilet when she gets home one day and we'll be back at the start of this whole dreary affair.

[/spoiler]

I just really needed to vent and I'm worried and sick and tired, so if any of you have advice I would really, really love it.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    In the interest of being compassionate as I can with no real information, it comes down to which is the worse prospect for you, and which is more stressful.

Can you exonerate yourself from the consequences if things go bad? Can you live with the level of stress you're under without sacrificing your own health? If you stay, will doing so cause them to be even more dependent on you, and if so can you accept that result?

Or to put it another way, do you love the two of them to the point that your stress is less important to you than theirs, and do they care enough about you to make sure you don't get in over your head?

You need to decide the answers to those sorts of questions, and when you do, your course of action should be clearer. Then again, I might just be an idiot so take that with a grain of salt.
  • @Tremula talk to the doctors to see if there's a viable form of administering insulin over a longer period of time instead of having to do hourly checks?

maybe a slow acting something and a strict diet restriction for the night and more regular intense monitoring for during the day. 

is dead like the dodo
  • i woke up feeling melancholic and singing 'la seine' in my head.

coffee hangover, i think.

*Peers at the mug of coffee on my table*

hair of dog cure!
    is dead like the dodo
  • The nursing home called today and said that they need to call hospice on my grandmother.  Guess that marks the beginning of the end.  I'm sad, but it was expected - she's 90 years old.  She deserves a break.

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    I feel like someone nuked yesterday from orbit for me. Had to watch a hyperactive 3 year old all day on less than an hour of sleep with no warning. If I'd received a warning I probably would've gone to bed earlier, but this logic seemed lost on my family, who apparently knew for a week beforehand that I had to watch her that day without telling me. You'd think the person who has to actually do the babysitting would be given some advance warning, but no, it apparently doesn't work that way. Not even an, "I thought we told you!" Just straight up admitting they didn't think it was important to tell me sooner than the minute I had to start.  :-w
  • Dissatisfied with so much being classified by the Board of Directors in Hallifax. There have been several instances when the details of events have been classified so anyone not on the BoD is left with... nothing. Take the Guardian project, where Ieptix created several rooms for the event and these were immediately declared classified and no one but BoD members allowed a glimpse inside. I feel that this sort of stuff is not made just for your exclusive enjoyment yet that's how it seems you are treating it. All the hard work admins go into making events, items and areas and you exclude everyone not on the BoD from enjoying or even experiencing it.

Telling me the solution is to get myself on the Board is not really cool :(

Yes, it is technically 'a' solution but it doesn't resolve the situation.