General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    People, who are successful, intelligent, and otherwise people I would think are tech savvy, still use the AoL stand alone client on their Macs. I weep inside, every time.
  • Tarkenton said:
    People, who are successful, intelligent, and otherwise people I would think are tech savvy, still use the AoL stand alone client on their Macs. I weep inside, every time.
    ...I know a dude with a Master in Mechanical Engineering who is a Naval Officer, has served time in the Pentagon and is training for his third tour of duty. 

Still has an AOL account .........
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Aol is still in business?
  • The email still works as well as AIM. 

Brief scan shows AOL stocks stopped being reported as of June 2015? 
  • Kaalak said:
    The email still works as well as AIM. 

Brief scan shows AOL stocks stopped being reported as of June 2015? 
    Verizon bought it for some reason
  • Emails can be snanned for ads....
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Middle finger to you, life.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    The struggle of scheduling conversations with someone across the Atlantic is real. :(
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • I don't have very bad social anxiety or anything but I am 100% with you on that phone. I hate calling people, it just makes me nervous and weird. 
  • I love talking on the phone. I enjoy learning peoples' different voices and tones. All of the people I actually want to know more about / spend more time with are "internet friends", so I guess that explains why I crave that sort of intimacy. Shrug.

I hate when I can't understand people on the phone. I feel like a huge asshole every time I say "I'm sorry?" or "Could you please repeat that?" or whatever. Which happens a lot when you're in Miami and you speak only high school Spanish. I can read the language so much easier than I can hear it. :(

Coincidentally this is how I accidentally scheduled a bug inspection on a day that I wasn't around to let them in, so I got another confusing phone call, one which made no attempt to explain why I was being called in the first place, and the guy assumed from my confusion that I simply didn't need an inspection after all and left.

...Which I didn't realize had happened until I called the company and was like "Soooo when do I schedule a bug inspection" and the place said "um, nub, you totally already did last week" and I was like WHAT. How do you not know you scheduled a thing???

So stressful. 100% with you on emails.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I will make a point to ignore your call and text you "what do you want?"
    I deal with the phone all day every day for work. Often with angry, confused people who have had the Apple store exponentially increase the poo to brain ratio between their ears. I generally hear one a month that I should get into radio, because I have that voice. The secret? Smile while you talk. You sound calm, friendly, and let's be honest, unless you're Quasimodo you'll look prettier too.
  • 96 year old great grandmother fell on her face so we need to go down and deal with that.

So I'll be missing Knowledge. Or at least the ability to participate well in helping, RIP messages over mobile.

Shows my empathy that's what I'm sad about, right?
  • Phoebus said:
    Lots of things I need to get done in life right now are being blocked by the phone call wall. You never realize how crucial the damn phone is to being a functional human being until you're terrified of making outgoing phone calls. My online banking has been frozen for months, I was supposed to schedule a potentially important CT scan 2 weeks ago, and I need to make another appointment about medication...should be easy, right? It's just a phone call, who cares. I don't even know why it's so hard. It just...is. Half the reason I even continue to see my current therapist is because she lets me communicate with her over email about appointments and stuff. I wish more places were open to alternate methods of communication. Well, mostly I wish I wasn't afraid of the dang phone, but since I am, I wish less things were reliant on phone calls.

I wish with all my being the ability to schedule appointments online. I can already have my prescriptions refilled online. 
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Sylandra said:
    I hate when I can't understand people on the phone. I feel like a huge asshole every time I say "I'm sorry?" or "Could you please repeat that?" or whatever. Which happens a lot when you're in Miami and you speak only high school Spanish. I can read the language so much easier than I can hear it. :(
    Look on the bright side - at least you have the phone as an excuse! I have this exact same issue when talking to people in person, especially at work when every slight background noise distracts me. The one saving grace is that most of my colleagues and subordinates need me to repeat what I say too, because I start talking very rapidly once the crunch comes down, so we're all constantly echoing ourselves. :P

• I have the issue in person as well (and significantly worse on the phone; the bandwidth on voice call connections is just awful). Especially if the person has any trace of an accent I'm not familiar with, it'll often take 3+ times before I get what's being said. And sometimes even that's not enough. :C
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
    Subtitles are the best, hands down.
    Daraius said:
  • edited February 2016
    I just don't understand how a text game can fucking lag so much. I even turned off the japanese VPN I use to play MSGO.
  • Ieptix said:
    I watch everything with subtitles. Sometimes it's not even an issue of being able to understand what they're saying, but the speech is too quiet compared to everything else so I have to either keep adjusting the volume or keep it low enough that the loud parts aren't too loud and the speech is too quiet. Especially with my crappy laptop speakers. :|

I do the same for the same reasons. For really good shows you want to remove any confusion from the dialogue.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    edited February 2016
    edit: don't really want to post it after thinking.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
    Dammit. Roommate thinks she found a bed bug in her room. I looked. It looks like a bed bug.

When will the nightmare end?!
    Daraius said:

• Sylandra said:
    Dammit. Roommate thinks she found a bed bug in her room. I looked. It looks like a bed bug.

Yeah. I'd get that checked out ASAP. That's a move-out worthy scenario.
    Nienla said:

Sylandra said:

Yeah. I'd get that checked out ASAP. That's a move-out worthy scenario.

While I appreciate the sentiment, this is terrible advice to anyone with bed bugs. They are notorious for following people on luggage, clothes, furniture, etc. You just wind up infesting an entirely new place.

Also moving in Miami when you're 3 broke grad students is a royal bitch. You have no idea how long it took to find this place.

Hindsight: don't move anywhere in south Florida where your landlord refuses to handle pest control.
    Daraius said:
    Also of course my bed bug warranty just expired. Of course. :|
    Daraius said:
    Most places if it's a few days to a week will still honor the warranty. Call the company and ask. Worst they can do is say no.