Simple Ideas

Comments

• The fact that I still remember the exact number for 100% esteem is scary, saddening, funny, and surprising all at once.
    See you in Sapience.
  • Ayisdra said:
    Sakaki said:
    Would be nice to see something like a SHRINEOFFER command that can be used at the master shrine (or maybe other shrines even), where you can offer items (like SHRINEOFFER ROSE), doing so would 'destroy' the item, but add a line saying something like "An entrancing red rose has been carefully placed at the foot of the shrine in humble offering" for a few RL days.  Certainly leaves a better impression than " An entrancing red rose has been cast away here, forgotten."

Would also result in people not having to remember to turn off acquisitio every time they step into a fulcrux so they don't scoop up things left in offering.

Back when esteem was a percent, and could be imbued in anything, you could offer any item to a god (while I'm not sure, I don't believe it destroyed the item and was just sent to the gods inv). But now in our number esteem, figurine only, world they have took away the ability to offer items for some reason.
    Yeah, I remember when this was a thing, the suggestion was more for RP purposes, as it gets to be a bit frustrating when you need to remember to turn off reflexes then turn off acquisitio if someone happens to have left an offering, or you have to remember to place palm sigils in the fulcrux every so often so you don't scoop everything up
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Versalean said:
    Twytch said:
    make DIRECTORY <item> usable anywhere in a city or commune, including the price/shop location as usual. However, have it cost a short amount of balance (2s sounds reasonable?) if it's not done at the directory room itself.

I'm just looking for ways to make city/commune shopping more appealing in contrast to the absolute ease of the Aetherplex.
    Whereas I totally agree with this, I'd also say that the 'absolute ease' customers would have finding my wares, thus creating a butt-tonne more footfall, is one of the things I considered when buying that horrendously expensive Shop artefact. But you're right: having to walk to the directory, check it for the goods I want, and use the mudlet mapper to find the shop - all the while wondering if it isn't going to be 50% cheaper in somebody's manse shop! - does make commune shopping a little bit more meh than it needs to be. Perhaps add to your suggestion that you could only check shops from your own city/commune from outside the directory room?
    Again, city layout can help tons with this. I have no problems finding anything in Hallifax because the directory is connected to every 'shop lobby' in the city. If you feel your directory is in a place that's not intuitive, maybe you can talk to your patron about maneuvering it? It goes a long way.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Sylandra said:
    Versalean said:
    Twytch said:
    make DIRECTORY <item> usable anywhere in a city or commune, including the price/shop location as usual. However, have it cost a short amount of balance (2s sounds reasonable?) if it's not done at the directory room itself.

I'm just looking for ways to make city/commune shopping more appealing in contrast to the absolute ease of the Aetherplex.
    Whereas I totally agree with this, I'd also say that the 'absolute ease' customers would have finding my wares, thus creating a butt-tonne more footfall, is one of the things I considered when buying that horrendously expensive Shop artefact. But you're right: having to walk to the directory, check it for the goods I want, and use the mudlet mapper to find the shop - all the while wondering if it isn't going to be 50% cheaper in somebody's manse shop! - does make commune shopping a little bit more meh than it needs to be. Perhaps add to your suggestion that you could only check shops from your own city/commune from outside the directory room?
    Again, city layout can help tons with this. I have no problems finding anything in Hallifax because the directory is connected to every 'shop lobby' in the city. If you feel your directory is in a place that's not intuitive, maybe you can talk to your patron about maneuvering it? It goes a long way.
    Ours is within a couple rooms of our shop area and our nexus, it's pretty decently placed. I was pretty surprised when I came back and saw it, how nifty it is!

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I miss being able to imbue almost anything and offering it. Terentia didn't like it when Melville and I imbued some merian t-bones and offered them to her >.>
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • As far as I know, offering anything destroyed the item, even before figurines were implemented.

• edited May 2016
    It is actually not that odd a number, it is because the code was using an Octal numbering system or Base 8. I believe from stories I have heard that Aetherships had the same numbering limitation for hull size and once you hit 65535, which is the highest unsigned 16 bit binary number,  if you went over that number you broke the world and released the Soulless.

#NotJustADumbJock
  • What post are you replying to?
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited May 2016
    Zvoltz said:
    As far as I know, offering anything destroyed the item, even before figurines were implemented.
    It did, after a short while. For instance, Maylea had a customised instrument offered to her once, and She saved it instead. Joyeaux, I believe?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Items were able to hold 65535 esteem prior to the figurine changes. I don't believe the raw esteem values were ever actually visible to players, though, just the abstracted percentage.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • Ieptix said:
    Items were able to hold 65535 esteem prior to the figurine changes. I don't believe the raw esteem values were ever actually visible to players, though, just the abstracted percentage.
    We were able to see the essence value in offering logs. Beyond that, in both the item and score, it was a percentage.
  • Lavinya said:
    @Maylea has an amazing thing in Her temple, where you can place item offerings in a font and it is delivered to Her as is. So you could very well send a special trinket! Perhaps mention to your divine that you would love to be able to ensure they receive special gifts and offerings and perhaps suggest such a thing? Or mail it in a fancy letter? Or see what they suggest?
    Hmmmm, definitely something worth considering.
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • Just wondering, could the fae fate deck be updated so that the Sunfire suit is the Sunpride suit? A small thing but it'd be nice
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    It would be cool if Stagform, Crowform, Nightkiss, and Drawdown kept you bonded to the related spirit all the time. The only one I can see that being annoying is Night, if you wanted to voluntarily stop shrouding at night, but a little toggle could be put on it. 

It's a little weird to be taking on the form of Stag, representing a powerful bond with a great spirit... but not be bonded to stag. 
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord

Eh. If we want flavour changes for the *forms (especially Stag & Crow), I think it would be cool if they could allow you to set an alternate description; when you use the form, if you have an alternate set up, it switches you to that and then back to your main when the form is lost. If no alternate is set up, it just does what it does right now.

Yes, you can do that now with triggers / aliases, but I do not think anyone does. They attempted to do a bit of this by having it automatically tag a couple words into the description, but (to me) that just dissuades from a custom alternate because then you are describing the features twice (the automatic line & in the custom text itself).

Could do the same thing for the *woods, too, when they flex to / from the skillset.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    That would be cool too. 

I know that Aetolia has a vampire skill that allows them to automatically update their description to match that of their living 'masquerade', reverting to their standard undead description when they turn off the skill.  Adapting something like that for abilities that functionally change your description (though I wouldn't really class Stagform there), like changeself, would be great. 

Even just instituting a generic system for preset descriptions might work, and ultimatly be more adaptable.. So that you could DESCRIBE SELF SET 1 <foo> and DESCRIBE SELF SET 2 <bar>, saving two different descriptions that you could toggle using DESCRIBE SELF 1, or DESCRIBE SELF 2. Then, just allow setting a variable to skills that change your description, like the ones mentioned. Everyone can use the generic system as they please, people who should be having autotoggles can just have those abilities refer to what's in the generic system. 
  • FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon
    Can we please give highmagic herbs and poisons? Perhaps in the past this would have made sense but right now it just seems to be a limitation for the sake of it.
  • Xenthos said:

Eh. If we want flavour changes for the *forms (especially Stag & Crow), I think it would be cool if they could allow you to set an alternate description; when you use the form, if you have an alternate set up, it switches you to that and then back to your main when the form is lost. If no alternate is set up, it just does what it does right now.
    Yes so want this.
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Falmiis said:
    Can we please give highmagic herbs and poisons? Perhaps in the past this would have made sense but right now it just seems to be a limitation for the sake of it.
    And alchemy. We're doing advanced chemistry over here in Hallifax, don't tell me we can't mix up a healing potion.
  • The idea of limiting tradeskills is really a very nice flavour that I like, but much as I like it, it's really not really sustainable in a low population game like ours. I can understand not really wanting to allow people to become 100% fully independent (people like me will eventually work toward, and become able to supply myself with everything) but unfortunately, the solution isn't really to create a situation where people find it frustrating to get basic supplies. Some things simply have to be prioritized.

It's entirely possible to explain away class restrictions to the trades. There's really no reason why a warrior can't learn to imbue spells onto jewelry, anymore than a non-warrior can't learn to hammer a piece of hot metal until it is shaped correctly. Even tattooing, which was made to be monk specific using the whole "ka energy" idea (which doesn't really make much sense, too, anyway) can really be done by non-monks. A little retcon won't hurt anyone if the end results benefit the game as a whole.

Currently warriors get forging, monks get tattoos, bards get brewmeister and tinkering, mages and guardians spellcraft, wiccans and druids get lorecraft. 

I think all of that is fine. I just don't really understand why herbs and poisons needs to be further restricted to lowmagic, especially when there isn't anything in highmagic to compensate.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    If we open up some, we should open them all up. Why can't shadowdancers perform enchantments?

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • edited May 2016
    Hrm
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Honestly, I just know low and high, and swap when needed. So there's always that solution.
    Mages, guardians and non-tracker city warriors don't have that as an option.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Sure you do. Get a cord.
    But... why? Why should we need to classflex out entirely to be able to pick up herbs and poisons?
  • Falmiis said:
    But... why? Why should we need to classflex out entirely to be able to pick up herbs and poisons?
    Heh why should people with lowmagic have to change to high to become a Mage?