General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    What operating system was it, Arch? Any of the bleeding-edge systems are prone to breakage by their nature. But if you stick to the stable / long-term release systems, you get a rock solid system. I've had far more problems with Windows than I have with Mint and Trisquel.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    It's mostly Steam breaking things on most updates. I don't understand why the native version has so many problems. I can run the Windows version with Wine without any problems. Normally I can get a fix by just googling an error message and copying like two commands into the terminal, but no dice so far.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Have you tried the method called concussive maintenance? Works for me everytime!
  • Sorry if I've been a bit grumpy with anyone recently just been a few things on and I've been super tired.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I am (sort of) on a diet. I have had a craving for pineapple cashew curry fried rice with chicken for the last week. I can literally taste it right now.
  • Because I work in tech and play video games, my family - and I mean all of them, like even my stepmom's brother - asks me for help with everything electronic. Doesn't matter what it is: tv, printer, smartphone. My mom had me fix her garage door opener once. Even my dad does this! Father plz, you code guided missle interceptors and know more coding languages than I have fingers. You are objectively better at technology than me!

Anyways, this means at least once a month I'm doing IT work for my family.

...and, like a true IT pro, I'm really just good at using Google...
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Breandryn said:
    Because I work in tech and play video games, my family - and I mean all of them, like even my stepmom's brother - asks me for help with everything electronic. Doesn't matter what it is: tv, printer, smartphone. My mom had me fix her garage door opener once. Even my dad does this! Father plz, you code guided missle interceptors and know more coding languages than I have fingers. You are objectively better at technology than me!

Anyways, this means at least once a month I'm doing IT work for my family.

...and, like a true IT pro, I'm really just good at using Google...
    Literally earlier this week, my mother called me because she bought a new laptop (funny story) and couldn't get the wireless mouse to work. Turns out she thought the little storage compartment in the mouse for the USB dongle was the plug it went in, and couldn't understand why putting the receiver inside the mouse didn't connect it to the computer.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • edited October 2016
    Apologies to those in Mag and in @Drocilla's order for my absences as of late.  To be perfectly honest, I've been going through a pretty bad bout of depression, one might consider it akin to a mid-life crisis of sorts (I'm turning 35 next year), am trying to get my thoughts in order.  Doesn't help that I did my arm in at work a couple of nights back, pulled one of the tricep muscles in my arm either.

For now, I'm just holing myself up in my room and trying to get some work done on my game I'm working on in my free time.  I want to get it onto the Android and iOS shops ASAP.  With any luck, I'll make some sales on it.
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • edited October 2016
    Hey! You chain-smoking asshole: i -get- why you're mad (baggage) and why you feel the need to threaten my electronics, but there's no need to do so! If you picked up after your mess i wouldn't have to 'invade' your space to get at it. I really wouldn't bother but it's beginning to affect me. :/

The thing that bugs me the most is that I'm not sure what's the proper and most graceful way to respond to this. I used to be able to handle this kind of pissing contest and win. (I.e so that it generally didn't happen again.)

P.s Touch my shit you asshole, and I'll disassemble everything electronic you own and either sell the parts or make you play a treasure hunt with them. That is if you don't piss me off enough that I'll just set them on fire and trash them. After placing them on the highway for cars to drive over. (even if i know for certain that this type of behavior just leads to more future drama and it never ends well for me.)

/end rant -just had to get that off my chest.
    is dead like the dodo
  • TIL ALWAYS draft out something that requires going into the composer in notepad before writing it in the in-game editor.

Decided to try my hand at doing a custom painting, wrote a decently long description to do it justice, hit the OK button and got hit with 

[ INFO ]  -  Socket got disconnected. The remote host closed the connection

Entire description lost.
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    I'm worried I taught this entire assignment wrong, because so many people are failing it. But also, nearly all of them didn't take into account the feedback I gave them in conferences, so...

Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    Students kept asking me, "Do you grade harshly?" and I responded, "I grade transparently! The rubric is on Blackboard for you all to see!" and yet people have left out complete sections they know I'll be grading for. I swear, I emphasized this at the start of every class for two weeks! :confused:
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Sylandra said:
    Students kept asking me, "Do you grade harshly?" and I responded, "I grade transparently! The rubric is on Blackboard for you all to see!" and yet people have left out complete sections they know I'll be grading for. I swear, I emphasized this at the start of every class for two weeks! :confused:
    Next year, give extra credit for explaining their assignment through interpretive dance. Be good for a laugh.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Sakaki said:
    TIL ALWAYS draft out something that requires going into the composer in notepad before writing it in the in-game editor.

Decided to try my hand at doing a custom painting, wrote a decently long description to do it justice, hit the OK button and got hit with 

[ INFO ]  -  Socket got disconnected. The remote host closed the connection

Entire description lost.
    Any chance it's still in the command buffer?
  • I decided to try a new sleep aid so I could finally sleep for more than four hours, and I ended up sleeping for 12.. And now that I'm awake, I'm basically a zombie :( So I keep messing up in Lusternia and IRL. 

I am an absolute trainwreck of a person. Locked my keys inside my car and discovered this at night in a distant parking lot as a huge thunderstorm began. If I had discovered this fifteen minutes earlier I could have carpooled with someone.

Here is hoping no one breaks in. :C
    Daraius said:
  • Got a call I've been dreading. Dad is in hospital. Cancer spread to brain.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Sylandra said:
    I am an absolute trainwreck of a person. Locked my keys inside my car and discovered this at night in a distant parking lot as a huge thunderstorm began. If I had discovered this fifteen minutes earlier I could have carpooled with someone.

If it makes you feel any better, I have once locked myself out of my car before. While the key was in the ignition, and the engine was running. With a quarter tank of gas left. And it was winter, with a temperature of -5F and persistent gusts of wind. Fun times.
  • Vivet said:
    Sylandra said:

If it makes you feel any better, I have once locked myself out of my car before. While the key was in the ignition, and the engine was running. With a quarter tank of gas left. And it was winter, with a temperature of -5F and persistent gusts of wind. Fun times.

I've trained myself to do a valuables check because I pull shit like that all the time!

is dead like the dodo
    Luckily I had a spare set of keys at home! Car is okay, phew. What a fun burst of anxiety, though! Haha.
    Daraius said:
  • Thanks. Pretty bummed. Might not be around much for a while. He's being discharged today but we need to take him in for radiation daily. Sister and I are gonna work out a taxi schedule. I feel like a pos - I was grumbling this past week about him spamming me with weird and repeat texts, but oh, that was his brain swelling so I feel terrible.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Here's an interesting metaphor for something I found out that my job is doing.

Imagine going to a bakery and ordering a cake. They tell you that a random cake is 30$. You say that you specifically need a chocolate cake, and they tell you that choosing your flavor adds an upcharge. You pay it.

When you return to pick up your cake, they make quote marks in the air when they refer to your "chocolate" cake. They explain that the cake is chocolate until you cut into it. Then, it may not actually be a chocolate cake. For an additional upcharge, they can guarantee that the cake will remain chocolate when you cut it.

I used this metaphor on three of my co-workers, who all agreed that this is precisely what my job is doing. The sad part is, I'm pretty sure there's some sort of law or rule that they can quote to get away with it.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • @Shaddus is this for insurance? Or do you sell bundled enterprise software?

I've had a similar experience with both.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'm quality control in a plant that makes steel pipes and fittings.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Sounds like an ISP or phone service needs a visit from the FCC and BBB...Just on principle, if you don't work for one.
  • Actually, I think I could apply that metaphor to something at my workplace as well.

That's a little scary.

But yeah, that sounds like a pretty clear case of fraud.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    We charge the same for any flavor cake. 
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."