Affliction Revamp

Comments

• We could also change some affs to stack and remove them in some ways:

for instance making the 7 numbs changed to:
    You are:
    experiencing 3 numbed areas.  

Cap at 5 and ANY health apply cures. instead of 7 differnet affs.

Remove trembling and scrambledbrains, which are just attrition affs right now.

I am good with changing vomiting blood to vomiting that does bleeding, doesnt need to be a combo aff. 

Remove partially damaged head, which to my knowledge can only be given by curing concussion with regen (dont think myrtle results in damaged head.. 2 regen cures or 1 herb, yeahhhh).

Lots of little things we can do to try to streamline down the curing and such.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    edited May 2013
    Also, while we're on topic...

I personally feel like we'd have less of an issue with synergy / balance / 1v1 effectiveness if skill design began with a solid, effective mechanic first and then was wrapped in RP afterwards.

The reason I say this is that Wyrdenwood was clearly designed with the 'rotting evil doom tree' image in mind, then you guys simply picked afflictions that fit with this theme, regardless of how useful they are in practice.

I know the admin have designed effective skillsets with an interesting theme in the past, and I have no idea what changed (if I had to guesstimate, the newest skills after the gaudiguch/hallifax guardians haven't been designed as effectively as their predecessors, which is why many of them needed special reports to improve, and some still do).

TL;DR: Mechanics first, then theme. This is a MUD game, not a MUD story.

-------------------------------------------

But yeah, how about buffing those weak affs instead, eh.
  • MoiMoi
    edited May 2013
    So, completely aside from if this is a change that should be done, here's the balance issues and some possible fixes to make the proposed bonus afflictions more in line with how hard they are to afflict with and less work to code systems for:

Intestinal:
    The first 3 are reasonable. Maybe a bit strong for nihilists, with the balance lost, but totally workable. It's the sudden jump when you get all 3 that is problematic, since they're such easy afflictions to give. There's also the consideration that this change would make bonecrushers give people worms by hitting them really hard, which is odd to say the least.
    Recommended change:
    Worms + Vomiting: Converts all damage on vomiting tics to bleeding, hides the tic messages.
    Worms + Dysentery: Converts all damage on dysentery tics to bleeding, hides the tic messages.
    Vomiting + Dysentery: Extra damage from vomiting/dysentery tics.
    All three: On the next vomiting tic, a single gross message where you puke out all the worms in a pool of blood. Causes 400 bleeding and anorexia, but cures the other three afflictions.
    Bonecrushers to Vomiting + Dysentery, not worms. For RP reasons.

Lungs:
    Unconsciousness is a big deal. And making these harder to cure on top of that is too far.
    Recomended change:
    50% chance of vapors/blacklung tics to also cause the other's effect if both are present. 100% chance if shortened breath is also present.

Phobic:
    I like this one how it is, for the most part. Would need to see how the no bromides thing works in practice.
    Recommended change:
    None. Looks fine to me.

Mental:
    The insanity here is not needed, Illuminati are already set for afflicting insanity. Otherwise, this seems like it would be really good for wiccan hexens looking to toadcurse and celestine/nihilist in general looking to absolve/wrack.
    Recommended change:
    Replace the 3 illness effect with something that isn't insanity. Maybe just move the current 2 aff effect up.

Disease:
    Sun allergy is the odd man out here, since it's the only one cantors can afflict with, but not available to cacophones/necromancers/liches.
    Recommended change:
    I'm really leery of the 4 disease no health potions work thing, since these are all very easy afflictions to give.

Nerves:
    This one looks really good for warriors and monks, oddly enough. Enfeeble is easy to give (enchantment), hard to cure (allheale only), and, along with 3 of Ibululu/Anatine/Inyoka/Mellitin, lets them stop parries by force-unwielding weapons/shields.
    Recommended change:
    None. I don't mind giving warriors and monks some bonuses, and if they want to take the time to build this combo, they deserve it.
  • Estarra said:
    For the sake of argument, assuming we are going to do some form of this, how would you design a synergistic redesign of worms-dysentery-vomiting?
    First I would take the afflictions out of the hands of guardians. [Remove Worms, Vomiting from the hexes skillset & Take them from the nihilist pact (not sure which one, Gorgulu I think?)]

I would remove the hunger aspect of the afflictions, both sides of the equation dislike hunger attrition.  Considering this buff is for Wyrdenwood, they will synergize with damage.

Worms: Prevent use of sparkleberry OR slow sparkleberry balance
    Dysentery: Health/mana/bromide balance steal OR slow balance recovery time
    Vomiting: Causes damage on a fast tic... Maybe 500 every 3s
    On a vomit tic: if you have Worms, it will mini-stun you for 1s
    On a vomit tic: If you have Dysentery, it afflicts you sensitivity

Potentially: add PurgativeBane to ecology.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
    edited May 2013
    I'm not sure how I feel about only getting to attack/cure for 2s between vomiting ticks, especially when I get behind in curing even just a little. Especially if you tie in copious amounts of shieldstun until the opponent is really behind. 

I'll just reiterate that I'd rather just upgrade these afflictions, but if that doesn't work, we can also try retooling the afflictions to be useful for wyrdenwood instead of making these combos.

Like:

Worms - x% less health sip / sparkle / scroll when done
    Vomiting - Sips have a chance to not heal the user
    Dysentery - % of health sip turns into bleeding

If you must insist on combo effects, I'd recommend the effects be just super-powered versions (faster tick, more damage, etc), instead of something completely new.

So if you don't change worms/dysentery/vomiting to do something, just make the combo effect do super versions of their current effects (that'd be lame though). If you change the affs to do something else, then do the same.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Whoa, my first thought here is that some guilds would be WAY WAY better equipped to make use of these synergy attacks (the ones that have some... synergy) and it would shoot them through the roof! I agree with above comments, especially Rivius's breakdown on the first page.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited May 2013
    I also agree that the way to help Wyrdenwoods isn't to make the afflictions they already do synergize in some magical way (that doesn't help any of the other woodchemancers). I think the best way would be to cave to near universal Envoy pressure and allow a rebuild of some woodchemantics mechanics from the ground up to work better and be generally less gimpy.
  • I don't mind those solutions Shuyin.  I don't think what I posted is necessarily too powerful, since the balance on purgatives is so fast, and wyrdenwood have no way of hindering it.  However, I do think it is important for these affs to be removed from hexes if they are going to be buffed enough to be the foundation of an offense.
  • Ciaran said:
    Estarra said:
    For the sake of argument, assuming we are going to do some form of this, how would you design a synergistic redesign of worms-dysentery-vomiting?
    First I would take the afflictions out of the hands of guardians. [Remove Worms, Vomiting from the hexes skillset & Take them from the nihilist pact (not sure which one, Gorgulu I think?)]

I would remove the hunger aspect of the afflictions, both sides of the equation dislike hunger attrition.  Considering this buff is for Wyrdenwood, they will synergize with damage.

I like these suggestions. Especially the first part, I have never seen those hexes or pacts used to it's clear that only a change this large would make them useful at which point they would be too useful because they'd be able to stack 3 at will, where as the targeted guild to be buffed (Wyrdenwood) would have less of an ability to do this.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Ciaran said:
    Estarra said:

Nihilists have no actual way of giving dysentery, so this combination would actually fail for Nihilists. Its not in Hexes nor is it a pact. Worms is in the Gorgulu pact, Worms/Vomiting are both in Hexes (but more useful then scabies/epilepsy? Doubtful).
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • This is going to open the gate for some classes, working beneficially in situations such as 1 vs 1, allowing them to actually become viable.

On the flip side, it will break group fighting considerably. Min/maxers are gonna do so to an even greater extent and the aff classes will fare equally as well.

I just think this is a really bad idea. Change how a few afflictions work, maybe... Making fundamental changes like this? No thanks.
  • edited May 2013
    Cut back unneeded affs.

Improve the crappy affs a little. Some synergy effects are also good, but nothing huge should be included. Consider how easily many guilds could do 2 at a time.

Part of the complaint is system complication, this will only compound the issue.  (Another being you need 1400 credits to enter combat but whose counting)
  • Ok I have pondered this for a day so here goes.  I like the concept but I don't think it will work in Lusternia at the moment because we simply have too many afflictions.  These new combo afflictions can be combined with the immense amount of other afflictions available for some devastating combinations.

My honest opinion is if this is going to be done, do it in combination with a rationalization of the afflictions available.  Remove some afflictions.  You could actually replace some of the pointless afflictions with these combos etc etc.  That could make the game more interesting because you could set it up as a true tier affliction system ie minimum stand alone impacts from afflictions but in combination of 2,3,4 they have a greater impact.

This would be a huge change but honestly you are talking about a big change here and on that basis I think we should discuss alternative affliction regimes.

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• I like the combo afflictions from a flavour and mechanical view. I fight rarely but enjoy when I do. Combat is already more complicated than I can follow, so a little more won't put me off. I also use m&m so don't code my own defense (thank you Vadi and all other system builders).

Of course there'd have to be balancing, same with any big change, but it looks worth introducing in some form (Shuyin's suggestion or otherwise) for worms, vomiting and dysentery to see how it goes.

The euphemism 'dysentery task' is amusing.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited May 2013
    Silvanus said:
    Nihilists have no actual way of giving dysentery, so this combination would actually fail for Nihilists. Its not in Hexes nor is it a pact. Worms is in the Gorgulu pact, Worms/Vomiting are both in Hexes (but more useful then scabies/epilepsy? Doubtful).
    They don't?  You said in one of your own posts just last page:
    Silvanus said:
    I can whammy vapors and worms. And 2 seconds later whammy vomiting an dysentery under the blackout from the vapors. To also assist with this, I order demon to attack with dark fate and stupidity to prevent curing. Right before this, I can also Omen to increase damage done.

Personally I, like some other people that have already voiced, am against introducing so many changes in one go to an already complicated system. While I help defend where I can, I am by no means a combatant, though I do have a system to try to help me where possible. Such sweeping changes will only serve to complicate things further and overwhelm people new to pvp combat. Heck, I've been playing for quite a while myself and I'm overwhelmed by some of the changes.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • edited May 2013
    I feel like a few things need pointing out:

One, the changes are not for Wyrdenwood – they're for affliction classes broadly. They're meant to make affliction-oriented tertiaries (Hexes, Runes) more effective. Certainly, a hexist nihilist will probably aim for disease-oriented combos in such a system – that's partly the point. The discussion arose while talking about Wyrdenwood and the weakness of some afflictions; in lieu of just buffing "weak" afflictions, scaling effects was brought up, and returned to the table when we got the Wyrdenwood report.

Two, they would not all be implemented at once, but phase by phase (at least, initially, intestinal only). For the moment, that's where discussion should be oriented (can talk about mental, phobic, etc later), for the sake of narrowing focus, as I recall.

Three, I ask that some people reconsider their tone and re-read their posts before making them. As always, sarcasm-laden hostility rarely goes far in any conversation and valuable points are probably being lost in it. I can't stress this enough. Very informed opinions, in any discussion, can/will be lost beneath an avalanche of sarcasm.

Four, we may or may not need to look at primaries and secondaries (and even tertiaries) and consider adjusting some things like rate of fire or afflictions given. (Maybe bonecrushers need something other than 'vomiting blood', for example)

As a suggestion for conversational direction, I – personally – would like to know where problems would arise should Intestinal Ailment Combos brought in. E.g., Nihilists could insta-lockdown people for an immediate, no effort crucify. Then, I'd like to know what causes that problem (low power cost on double whammy? Rate of Nihilist afflictions via demon/Necromancy?). What, specifically, causes the problems – and what could be altered to maintain it as a viable option for Nihilists without being "crazy oh pee".

That said, carry on my wayward son.
  • I think it's a pretty telling story when you're trying to defend something that 95% of people on these forums are clearly stating is a bad idea, heh.
  • I feel there is a serious disconnect going on here.

Nihilists are a tremendous PvP class.  They don't need anything else.  Why are the administration bent on creating a project for themselves when they have other work to do?
  • This.

I personally also feel that any time spent on this could certainly be much better spent in other areas. i.e. Areas the playerbase have identified on these very forums.
  • I find it baffling that the admin has been so obstinate in not altering the mechanics of -chemantics and -wood specializations, but it's willing to alter combat mechanics fundamentally by introducing new affliction effects. Doesn't make sense to me in the slightest. Recently, skillsets have required player intervention to either tone down their effects, or make them something less than useless. This is evidenced by the ridiculousness that was pre-nerf pryomancers, illuminati, current researchers, the continuing problem of monks, -chemantics and -woods, etc. Thematically, amazing. Mechanically? Out of whack. The proposed change throws yet another factor into a system that's already widely recognized as being impossible to properly balance due to the sheer number of skillsets, afflictions, and their interactions.

Deleting or slightly increasing the potency of underused or underpowered afflictions would be welcome, but I'm worried about the repercussions of what's being suggested and the massive headache of balancing them on top of the preexisting mechanics we have to balance around.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    pryomancers
    teehee <3
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • edited May 2013
    Ciaran said:
    I feel there is a serious disconnect going on here.

Nihilists are a tremendous PvP class.  They don't need anything else.  Why are the administration bent on creating a project for themselves when they have other work to do?

Look, you guys can participate in the discussion or not – I don't want to sound dismissive, and I don't doubt Estarra here's your concerns/opinions, however sitting there going "no" is deeply unhelpful.

Some people (some in this very thread, at that) have asked we "run changes by players before implenting them" – here's your chance to weigh in. "Input on how this could be implemented?" is being answered with "No" by some, and that's not really helpful. If it turns out to be too much work, fine – let's not dictate to Estarra what is or isn't too much work, though. She knows better than anyone how our resources can be best spent.

As a glimpse into my world, when we're talking about things in Havens – even if I don't like the change – I try to engage the discussion on how to implement it. If I think it's too much work, I'll continue in the discussion of how to implement it, point out I don't think it's worth the resources, and let Estarra make that decision. It may well be too much work to be worth it at this particular point in time, but "no" doesn't convince anyone of that nor is it productive.

To clarify: I'm not "bent" on anything. I'm asking you to participate in a discussion, in lieu of standing there going "No."
  • We're trying to get constructive feedback (and for those who have given some, thank you!), but really if all you're going to do is say 'everyone on the forums says it's a bad idea' or 'you have better things to do' or accuse us of being disconnected or not listening, etc., then you are not adding to the discussion, but rather closing it down.

When I start threads like this, I'm looking for more than just 'this is a bad idea' (or even 'this is a good idea') but for constructive feedback on how best to make it work if we go forward. I'm thinking of deleting posts that aren't constructive or are overly hostile/snarky just so we can review the ideas and feedback on the thread without the drama. So before I resort to that, let's try for constructive feedback going forward!
  • Hey, I gave my constructive criticism further up! My last post was merely responding to the comment previous to it.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Eventru said:

Ciaran said:

Look, you guys can participate in the discussion or not – I don't want to sound dismissive, and I don't doubt Estarra here's your concerns/opinions, however sitting there going "no" is deeply unhelpful.

Some people (some in this very thread, at that) have asked we "run changes by players before implenting them" – here's your chance to weigh in. "Input on how this could be implemented?" is being answered with "No" by some, and that's not really helpful. If it turns out to be too much work, fine – let's not dictate to Estarra what is or isn't too much work, though. She knows better than anyone how our resources can be best spent.

As a glimpse into my world, when we're talking about things in Havens – even if I don't like the change – I try to engage the discussion on how to implement it. If I think it's too much work, I'll continue in the discussion of how to implement it, point out I don't think it's worth the resources, and let Estarra make that decision. It may well be too much work to be worth it at this particular point in time, but "no" doesn't convince anyone of that nor is it productive.

To clarify: I'm not "bent" on anything. I'm asking you to participate in a discussion, in lieu of standing there going "No."

I feel like that's exactly what most of us are doing (with a few vocal exceptions); participating in the discussion of how to implement, pointing out the hurdles involved.

It will make system-coding from a player standpoint significantly more complex to add new "effects" in, because new effects are basically a new affliction without the affliction tag. This means that systems won't even be able to do checks on single affs (do I have anorexia), but instead on combinations of affs in a much more intense and across the board manner than we currently have.

We would be better off just adding new afflictions instead of new effects.

However, increasing the potency of current afflictions as they are stacked with others in the same set is fine in most cases. Increase the damage, sure. Speed up the tick rate, fine. Maybe even just buff a truly sub par affliction.

And that's what we've been suggesting for this initial Internals overhaul. Anything more than that is going to require rewriting Hexes, and when we move into other aff-categories things like Runes and Telepathy will also need a rewrite.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Xenthos said:
    things like Runes and Telepathy will also need a rewrite.
    I would be a fan of this.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Eventru said:
    Ciaran said:

Ciaran said:
    Estarra said:

• I'd have reservations about buffing vomiting this way. It's just putting more damage in the hands of those already extremely capable of delivering such.
    Uh, affliction classes aren't in need of that much help. 

The envoy system has been fairly successful at ironing out perceived kinks in affliction offenses (the most recent example being Celina's hexes report).

So I'll just echo Loth and say that I have no idea why you guys would broadly change afflictions instead of simply focusing on classes that need such changes. If there's a patch of brown grass on your lawn, you don't uproot the entire garden.

Again, I don't think this change is necessary.

I'd rather do try these changes first, in this order:
    1. Upgrade weaker affs (faster tick, more damage, etc).
    2. Change their effects to be more useful to the classes that utilize them.
    3. Eliminate multiple cures for an aff along with 1+2
    4. Delete extraneous curing balances and move them to others with 1-3.

BUT if you guys are really keen on your affliction combos, just make it so having the affs on you makes super versions of their current effects. And ONLY that.
This discussion has been closed.