Just curious to know

Comments

• I've seen plenty who aren't in certain groups who function in the game community just fine.

Mysrai strokes the decapitated head of Persayis tenderly.

---------------------------------------------------

Mysrai Thrice-Crowned intones, "DZA NA III."

You say, "Dzaa."

You nod your head emphatically.

Mysrai nods solemnly.

Mysrai gives you a peck on the cheek.

Reality solidifies, mending itself into a single paradigm as Mysrai departs.

• So jelly.

You say, "Dzaa."

Mysrai nods solemnly.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Shaddus said:
    Xenthos has ooc Communication with me, he buys me dinner once a week and we watch chick flicks while discussing the latest fashions. Tonight's movies are "Hope Floats" and "The Bridges of Madison County."
    Cool, I haven't seen either of them.

Oh wait, we have OOC communication, you already knew that.  Right, right, I forgot.
  • edited March 2014
    Zouviqil said:
    In order for a character to be roleplayed in the first place in Lusternia, you need a living, sentient being with a way to deliver their thoughts somehow to a device that transmits it to the game. Human, alien, dog, I don't care what it is. In our case, to the best of my knowledge, we are all humans. One of you may be a dog, and I would never know, because it's the internet, but that's besides the point.

Our characters are not automated. They are us. To play our characters we must draw from ourselves, our very real experiences, to make decisions. Is it impossible to play a character completely disconnected to who you are? No, it's not. But if you cannot see a link at all between you and your character, not even a small one, then you have some serious compartmentalization going on that is likely unhealthy. Perhaps it's not unhealthy in your opinion, but if that's the case, I suggest you refer to your cultural beliefs, which may include a trip to a (medical, witch, spiritual) doctor.

If a character is being ostracized because the players of other characters do not enjoy the presence of said player, that is normal. This wouldn't be a discussion if this was an in-person D&D game with one jerk who badmouthed other players or looked to stir drama between players. Or any of these other common examples, either. You'd be told off and told to get lost, likely by popular vote of those in the game, and they may never play with you again. This is an example of ostracization of a player and thereby a character. The player may be pissed off, but they're not going to go, "I was playing my character correctly, why do I have to leave!" unless they're completely incapable of seeing how they were being a jerk. They may then proceed to hold a grudge if they lack the presence of mind to ask what offenses they have committed to the group and seek to rectify them or move on.

The other situation is when a player has a consistent sort of character without the player themselves being one who can be interacted with. Typecasting is what it's called in acting, when a role is played consistently by a single actor/actress. Sometimes it is because the actor/actress are liked by others in that role and what brings in money, brings in money. This is not the case with a game like Lusternia, where it is 100% up to the player what sort of character they want to roleplay as. If you want to roleplay as an irritating character, that's your call. If you want to roleplay a fluffbunny, that's your call. If you want to roleplay a mass murderer who is scared of potatoes, that's your call. 

If you consistently play one role in such a case, it is because you enjoy that role or because it is the one you are able to do most easily. If you are playing characters that are consistently jerks and show no hint of decency in an OOC medium, or consistently fail to prove to the community of said roleplaying game that you are a member of the community to be at least tolerated, people of said community - the other players - will come to label you as a jerk, most likely.

This game may be an online game, but we are a community nonetheless. If a player is being a jerk, we as players will naturally seek to remove the player. Ostracism.

I'm not really interested in digging into the semantics of why ostracizing people in a game world is normal or abnormal, or how it is justifying the OOC leakage.

I feel that you are bypassing my main point, which is Celina and Xenthos have both advocated outright denying other players participation in an org based on OOC hearsay.  That is vastly different from "seeing a link between you and your character", it is an extreme stance that can potentially undermine the future of the game.

It is absolutely a fact that part of ourselves will come into our roleplay, but that does not mean strategically exploiting OOC information to limit or impede another player's experience.  My point is this: You are free to play that way, but it does not make a healthy game environment. It does not contribute to the community of Lusternia, it does not foster growth or expansion among the playerbase.

Your assessment is also inaccurate.  We are not our characters, we play as our character.  If you believe otherwise, I would echo the advise of speaking with a doctor, if that is the culturally appropriate thing to do.

"A man's not dead while his name is still spoken."  - Terry Pratchett 1948-2015

• Quick! Call the doctor! I've turned into a Trill!!! *gasp*

You say, "Dzaa."

Mysrai nods solemnly.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Very well then. As my character, if I see makodi going out of his way to slow down the progress or advancement of others around him as he may or may not have done in 3+ other orgs, I plan on leaning heavily on him as my character. And by leaning on him, I mean prodding at him to work on his college tasks and leave other people alone who are working on theirs.

And by prodding, I mean urging him to work on them every time I see him or hear him.

And by every time, I mean every time I qw and see his name, or hear him talking over ct, or every time he's at the Pool trying to get another novice to come hang out in his manse with him instead of what their guild leaders are asking them to do.

In my character.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Worked for me.

You say, "Dzaa."

Mysrai nods solemnly.

• And persayis, because she agreed with me. Sometimes I just want to smack her though...

You say, "Dzaa."

Mysrai nods solemnly.

• You know. We all play pretend in a text game. I'm preeeeety sure we're all crazy anyway. Not that I'm qualified to make that assessment.

You say, "Dzaa."

Mysrai nods solemnly.

I've suddenly been struck by the idea that this is all some weird social experiment constructed by Tetra to "make us think" or some other quasi-psychological drivel found on google when trying to make his point.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Yes, the community can and will drive out people who are intentionally trolling. This is no different than if someone is an aide to an org's treasury, robs it blind, quits the org and tried to join another. Regardless of lines between IC and OOC, nobody wants that sort of person around. If I robbed Glom blind and ran off to Seren, they aren't going to welcome me with open arms for striking at their foes. They are going to keep me at arms length, wondering if I have the same plans for them.
  • Xenthos said:
    No, it is not.  Let's look at the definition of a "clique".

"A narrow exclusive circle or group of persons." or "A small group of people who spend time together and who are not friendly to other people."

Now, let us look at who is posting in this thread; you have people from all communities, and all social circles, replying to you saying the opposite of what you think.  You are attempting to dismiss them all by referring to them as a "clique," but you're not even looking at things.  I have no OOC contact with, say, Everiine (or Silvanus, or really even Lavinya).  I'm certainly not part of their circles, nor they of mine.  This is an issue which unites many disparate members of the Lusternian community, and which we can come together in agreement upon; the game is better when people actually want to play together, not when people just want to incite angst and frustration.

You are multi-channeling a broad generalization.

I did not call you or anyone in the forum a clique, I defined a clique as "an 'elite club' where you decide who is a member and who isn't."  Please read my post again.

I have not dismissed anything you said, but responded with very reasonable, and thoughtful replies that take into account many different facts which you continue to gloss over.  Instead you are adamant to focus on "me" or "what I have to say" rather than the contents of the message, because you are preoccupied with your rightness.

What you have insinuated is that because the players come from different backgrounds, it makes their varying opinions more powerful as a majority. Therefore, because they aren't in agreement, that must make me more 'wrong'. It is completley erroneous to assume that the forums or facebook group represents the community of Lusternia entirely. Of course, the forum is a type of community, but when we are talking about Lusternia as a whole -- it merely represent a vocal minority and not the game itself.

• I'm starting to hear Charlie Brown's mom. "Wamp wah wah wah."

You say, "Dzaa."

Mysrai nods solemnly.

I don't think "95% of the player base" is an elite club. I don't think "we people who think newbies should learn and grow to enjoy the game just as much as we do" is an elite club, and I sure don't think "people who think Lusternia deserves to be without long-term trolls who run people off" is an elite club.

You keep using that phrase, elite club. I don't think it means what you think it means.
  • Sorry! Teacher..... My bad.

You say, "Dzaa."

Mysrai nods solemnly.

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Persayis said:
    I'm starting to hear Charlie Brown's mom. "Wamp wah wah wah."
    Starting?  Nope.  That was about twenty posts back.  On the bright side though, I'm going to have some EXCELLENT material to take to my communications classes tomorrow.
    I think this thread has devolved long enough. Can I get either @Isune‌ , @Nocht‌ , @Ieptix‌ , @Yomoigu‌ or someone to close it? Please?

Thanks. Trolls are hungry and I'm tired of tossing posts at them to feed their need for attention.
  • But but

You say, "Dzaa."

Mysrai nods solemnly.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Tetra said:
    Xenthos said:
    No, it is not.  Let's look at the definition of a "clique".

"A narrow exclusive circle or group of persons." or "A small group of people who spend time together and who are not friendly to other people."

Now, let us look at who is posting in this thread; you have people from all communities, and all social circles, replying to you saying the opposite of what you think.  You are attempting to dismiss them all by referring to them as a "clique," but you're not even looking at things.  I have no OOC contact with, say, Everiine (or Silvanus, or really even Lavinya).  I'm certainly not part of their circles, nor they of mine.  This is an issue which unites many disparate members of the Lusternian community, and which we can come together in agreement upon; the game is better when people actually want to play together, not when people just want to incite angst and frustration.

You are multi-channeling a broad generalization.

I did not call you or anyone in the forum a clique, I defined a clique as "an 'elite club' where you decide who is a member and who isn't."  Please read my post again.

I have not dismissed anything you said, but responded with very reasonable, and thoughtful replies that take into account many different facts which you continue to gloss over.  Instead you are adamant to focus on "me" or "what I have to say" rather than the contents of the message, because you are preoccupied with your rightness.

What you have insinuated is that because the players come from different backgrounds, it makes their varying opinions more powerful as a majority. Therefore, because they aren't in agreement, that must make me more 'wrong'. It is completley erroneous to assume that the forums or facebook group represents the community of Lusternia entirely. Of course, the forum is a type of community, but when we are talking about Lusternia as a whole -- it merely represent a vocal minority and not the game itself.
    I can't define who is / is not a member of a club I am not even in.  No matter how many times I read your post, it is an assertion that there is some sort of "clique" at work here.  When I look at the facts, the statement just holds no water; I don't even move in the same circles as the other people disagreeing with you.  The statement is either fundamentally false, or it is completely irrelevant (because sure, while you can define a clique that way that's not what is happening here).  I'll let you pick which.

In the end, it boils down to this very simple fact: We, as individuals, like to be around people who like us.  We do not like to be around people who do not like us.  We tend to gravitate towards the former and cut ourselves off from the latter.  The fact that Lusternia is a game environment does not change that underlying fact.  I am not sure why you think I am not addressing the content of your message, because I am; the problem is that the content is focusing on some kind of "ideal roleplay world" that is not even ideal.  We are playing a game.  We want to have fun.

Here's the key part again.
    We want to have fun.
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Shaddus said:
    I think this thread has devolved long enough. Can I get either @Isune‌ , @Nocht‌ , @Ieptix‌ , @Yomoigu‌ or someone to close it? Please? Thanks. Trolls are hungry and I'm tired of tossing posts at them to feed their need for attention.
    Wait, we're stopping the circuitous argument now? :(

• Zouviqil said:
    An actor is not their role in a movie as much as a player is their character - that is, an actor uses their own experiences to portray their role, and in that way, they are their character at least to some degree. A sane actor will know that they are not in actuality their role.

Which brings me back to my point about needing to see a doctor of some kind as culturally appropriate if you "turn off" when you play your character.

And I can tell you have no regard for semantics, given your disregard of the definition of "clique" as pointed out by @Xenthos.

Nobody has suggested "turning off" when roleplaying.  Think of it as "turning on" your character.  You cannot "turn off" being you, but a conscious human being can use their brain to tell the difference between roleplaying their character and dripping OOC venom intentionally into the gaming atmosphere. Zouviqil, you are smart, please stop pretending you don't get what I am saying.

If you return to the post and read again, I have explained the definition of 'clique', which has not been applied to you or anyone else.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Lovers of drama are hungry too. This is pretty delicious. (Though I've had better.)

• edited March 2014
    Xenthos said:
    I can't define who is / is not a member of a club I am not even in.  No matter how many times I read your post, it is an assertion that there is some sort of "clique" at work here.  When I look at the facts, the statement just holds no water; I don't even move in the same circles as the other people disagreeing with you.  The statement is either fundamentally false, or it is completely irrelevant (because sure, while you can define a clique that way that's not what is happening here).  I'll let you pick which.

In the end, it boils down to this very simple fact: We, as individuals, like to be around people who like us.  We do not like to be around people who do not like us.  We tend to gravitate towards the former and cut ourselves off from the latter.  The fact that Lusternia is a game environment does not change that underlying fact.  I am not sure why you think I am not addressing the content of your message, because I am; the problem is that the content is focusing on some kind of "ideal roleplay world" that is not even ideal.  We are playing a game.  We want to have fun.

Here's the key part again.
    We want to have fun.

Where have I asserted that you are part of a clique?  I have not.  Your defensiveness does imply otherwise though.  I mean, who is this group you discuss OOCly with when deciding who can or cannot have fun with you?

In an 'ideal rp world', everyone is having fun; so why not contribute to making that a reality for all the players?  Blaming someone outside of you does not make that player go away, and trust me when I say this: 

If someone really wants to get in your org?  They will, whether you like it or not.  So it's better to let them have fun with you, rather than cockblock them with metagaming tactics.

Wamp wah wah, wah wah wah wah. Wah Wamp wah Makodi, wah wah wampawah. Wah?

Wah Wamp. Wamp wah wah wahwamp. Wah wah Wamp wallah wah; wah wah. Wah wah wah wah, wah wah WAH wah.

Wah wah wah wah wah. Wah?
  • I'm coming to mag and my character is going to be sooooo annoying, just you wait.

You say, "Dzaa."

Mysrai nods solemnly.

• But it isn't me, let's just make that clear.

You say, "Dzaa."

Mysrai nods solemnly.

This discussion has been closed.