Simple Ideas

Comments

• Saran said:
    Maellio said:
    Back on track [and re-iterating myself] can we have a MANSE CREATE EXIT <direction> ONEWAY that allows for exits without returns into a room [with the obvious caveat that a room has to have an exit] and multiple "overlapping" entrances. We already do have many existing oneway paths [Orgbixes, special exits] and I'd really like to have emergency exits [and non-euclidean geometry] in my manse.

And no @Iytha your trick doesn't work, else it did once and they fixed it.

That allows you to create traps way to easily
    Not if the rule of isolated rooms is still in effect, i.e. any room you create a one-way exit to must have a path leading to the fulcrux.
  • edited December 2012
    Saran said:
    Maellio said:
    Back on track [and re-iterating myself] can we have a MANSE CREATE EXIT <direction> ONEWAY that allows for exits without returns into a room [with the obvious caveat that a room has to have an exit] and multiple "overlapping" entrances. We already do have many existing oneway paths [Orgbixes, special exits] and I'd really like to have emergency exits [and non-euclidean geometry] in my manse.

And no @Iytha your trick doesn't work, else it did once and they fixed it.

Which is why I said the rooms -have- to have a proper exit out, i.e. a room needs an entrance -and- and exit [so at first it would need at least one two-way or a one-way in and out]. I don't want trap rooms >.=.<

Edit: also what Ssaliss said

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• Please stop quoting that original quote. It spams my notifications box every time you do. :<

@Maellio
    @Ssaliss
    @Saran
  • Maellio said:
    Saran said:
    Maellio said:

And no @NotIytha your trick doesn't work, else it did once and they fixed it.

Which is why I said the rooms -have- to have a proper exit out, i.e. a room needs an entrance -and- and exit [so at first it would need at least one two-way or a one-way in and out]. I don't want trap rooms >.=.<

His works with pathing and would be fine, but just having the requirement of the room having an exit doesn't work.

I can create this effectively...

[ ] - [ ]

|  X  |

[ ] - [ ]

^

[F]

Where F is the fulcrux, every room has three exits and entrances except the fulcrux.

• Saran said:
    Maellio said:
    Saran said:
    Maellio said:

And no BlurgleFlurgle your trick doesn't work, else it did once and they fixed it.

His works with pathing and would be fine, but just having the requirement of the room having an exit doesn't work.

I can create this effectively...

[ ] - [ ]

|  X  |

[ ] - [ ]

^

[F]

Where F is the fulcrux, every room has three exits and entrances except the fulcrux.

Which would be invalid under my stipulation that rooms need an entrance and exit, Fulcrux room has no entrance from any of the other rooms. [Portal doesn't count]. ANYWAY I'd still like the oneway thing looked into. I know they exist, they just need to have paths out to fulcrux [and frankly my chief use -is- to have every room in my ship have an emergency exit out to the Fulcrux]

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    I'm not sure of any repercussions to this, but I was wondering if we could raise the number of lessons one could learn at a time.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Already been done with your mentor (you can learn up to 20 at a time from your mentor).  As such: if it's already coded and not an issue for some subsets, why not just expand it to make life easier for all?
  • what if the things you get from the wheel work on the same percentage chance as presents do?

There is x amount of gold, x credits, x dingbats, x experience, small artifacts, a divine present, x curios, x coins, 24 hour crit bonus, 24 hour divine favor. The more you spin, the lower the chance to get the crit bonus or divine favor, and the higher chance to get the rest of the things until you hit a divine present.

Then, when you get the divine present, the chances restart.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    edited December 2012
    Eh...dunno that it's necessary. They just need to add something like the ikon consume bonus to balance out the unlucky clover critical hits. :P

The only thing wrong with the Wheel is that the curios it gives you are pointless for anything save melting down and turning into more spinnable coins; there's no reason to up the chances of getting the good rewards.  You can already luck out and get some really nice things from it.

Increasing that's a bit excessive.
  • Qistrel said:
    Eh...dunno that it's necessary. They just need to add something like the ikon consume bonus to balance out the unlucky clover critical hits. :P
    25%+ esteem generation boost for 24 hours, stacks an additional 24 hours per? It's not the same, but it does have value.

I somehow doubt that the ikon consume is coded in such a way that the hour duration would stack.

• Maellio said:
    Which would be invalid under my stipulation that rooms need an entrance and exit, Fulcrux room has no entrance from any of the other rooms. [Portal doesn't count]. ANYWAY I'd still like the oneway thing looked into. I know they exist, they just need to have paths out to fulcrux [and frankly my chief use -is- to have every room in my ship have an emergency exit out to the Fulcrux]
    It would still be possible to hide a traproom by having the one-way not covered by a door, but having the exits from the trap room have reinforced steel doors. In current circumstances, you can always see doors (and hope they haven't been left open and you're not about to trip a key sigil).
  • Akyaevin said:
    Maellio said:
    It would still be possible to hide a traproom by having the one-way not covered by a door, but having the exits from the trap room have reinforced steel doors. In current circumstances, you can always see doors (and hope they haven't been left open and you're not about to trip a key sigil).
    Of course you can do that with the two way already if people stumble into hidden rooms. Solution would be that doors couldn't be placed on one way 

.oO---~---Oo.

NARF!

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited December 2012
    Can't you already just trap people with key sigils and magically locking (or key locking) doors? I'm not sure what the big fuss about manse traps are anyways... Don't wander around stranger's manses. If you get stuck, have a friend pop into the manse room, teleport to friend, exit. Problem: solved.
  • Enyalida said:
    Can't you already just trap people with key sigils and magically locking (or key locking) doors? I'm not sure what the big fuss about manse traps are anyways... Don't wander around stranger's manses. If you get stuck, have a friend pop into the manse room, teleport to friend, exit. Problem: solved.
    Monoliths
    HEARTSTOP/ CONFIG MASOCHISM ON

Still, you shouldn't be wandering around random folk's manses. If you're meddling in someone's house where you don't belong, it's kind of your fault.
    Combine the food commodities please? Something so.... niche shouldn't have over a third of the commodities, especially when some of them are only slightly useful. I'm looking at you, milk. Outside of pastries... what are you good for?
    Combining food comms would be nice.  At least halving them.

Eggs and Milk can both become "Dairy".  Poultry and meat can easily be combined (even fish too).  Fruit and vegetables can become "Fruit and Vegetables". 

This would leave you with Dairy, Meat, FruityVegetables, Grain.
    edited December 2012
    Mhmm. If you want, it could even be a specialized thing. You get (say) three different types of 'food parcels' from villages, depending on what sort of things that village is good at making. These split into the currently existing 'comms' which are then used up as normal. However, after splitting, unused 'comms' decay quickly and unstoppably. You reduce the number of food comms to three, down from 8.

That way, you reduce the number of different comms handled by villages and orgs, but don't have to go back and change any designs, as all of the previously available 'comms' are still available.

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited December 2012
    Just have a bulk 'food' commodity, which can be refined by cooks a la gemcutting. Only remove the random aspect through some sort of [insert flavour text here] skill.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • I'm just guessing, but I think the original idea behind having all the disparate cooking comms is for those designers who just love specificity in their designs. Having a real 'poultry' comm instead of a generic 'meat' comm for a chicken stew feels a little more empowering, liberating, exciting, sexually stim- I mean, nice for those cooks.

I can see how having to handle so many comms as a trade minister or as a cook who's jaded with that kind of specificity novelty can be frustrating, though. I'm glad I'm not really interested in designing and trades.

edited December 2012
    Cooking is already remarkably simple and boring (imo). It basically boils down to:
    Making cookies? Assemble the stuff, pop it in the oven and it's finished! 
    Making stew? Assemble the stuff, pop it in the oven and it's finished!
    Making something that in the description is explicitly a cold/uncooked dish? Assemble the stuff, pop it in the oven and it's finished!

The few different messages for cooking don't even allow for emoting around them, as in one line, it sums the entire process of cooking. 

For instance, this line was used to create the following food product:

At home in the kitchen, Ceana uses the oven and whips up a mouth watering treat. There is enough for two portions.

Various fruits have been carved out of into small cubes and placed on an elongated bamboo stick making a delicious snacking kabob. This kabob includes all types of fruits, such as orange, papaya and mango, making the colours attractive and the juices run free along its sides. Served chilled, this kabob makes a refreshing treat.

That exact same line was used for the following:
    This steak is set on an exotic green dish, still sizzling and exuding a heavy, aromatic scent of well-done meat and herbs. Spices have been drizzled on top of the steak, and galingale has been aesthetically placed next to it.

First, how does the following manage to use a hot stove, instead of a refrigeration process of some sort? And how does it look the same to make that and the steaks? Bizarro bizarro.

In light of these other problems with cook empowerment, commodity simplification seems like peanuts. That the 'assemble the stuff stage' involves walking to the commodity shop and going BUY 2 EGGS, BUY 2 CHICKEN, BUY 1 MILK, instead of BUY FOOD (or whatever) is an incredibly minute amount of novelty. 

What would really enable cooks to have novel cooking RP would be (IMO) a solution for a separate Simple Idea, as follows: 

Remove the current messages for cooking food and replace them with messages that signify 'finishing' cooking, instead of the entire act. This could be vague enough to serve as the complete message for a lazy chef, without precluding a long run up of cooking emotes on the part of the chef. That way, if I wanted to play the cooking mama, throwing spices and meat into a boiling pot of soup and adjusting the taste with expert ease and so on, I could do so with emotes and then hit the 'finish cooking' button that actually creates the game object, and present the finished product to my 'eaters'. 

EDIT: Quotebox fail. Stupid new forums.
    I'm also glad I never got the odd idea that trades (Especially the creative ones) would be profitable or the design system not eventually frustrating. Only took up a trade (tailoring) because it has finally been impressed on me that without the ability to make shoes and underwear I would have a disadvantage on the battle field.
    Lack of shoes and underwear leave you disadvantaged on the battlefield..?

I'm missing something important here, I think.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    I think she's alluding to splendours.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
    But they do not provide either underwear or shoes.

:|

Agggh.
  • make lipread innate please? Is there any good reason why it isn't already?
  • No combining food comms, please. Especially No to having bundles that open into comm groups that can imminently decay and can't be stored again. Cooking already takes enough time and effort compared to the very slim profit margin it makes (which is a problem perpetuated by players, not the commodity system), we don't need to have potential for waste because of things getting uncontrollably paired together. That sounds like even more of a problem than the supposed problem that is attempting to be addressed (how exactly is it a big deal in the first place?).

Yes, the trade system has limitations. But there's only so much that will probably be done with what is but one facet of the game, which is small compared to the mainstay of PvP. Tailors don't sew every single item they can make, but sew still applies to them, you don't "bind" a scroll, etc., we all know these things and deal with them.

It's great that you want to be able to RP the creation process, but Lusternia has always emphasised the finished product, and making it easy to get there. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. I also think this shouldn't have been unexpected, given how the game is handled in general.

Relax. Breathe.

If you really want to help cooking out, make it so a food item consists of more than one portion. You should be able to eat a platter multiple times instead of just devouring the thing whole in one sitting. This would help in a lot of ways - especially with stocking food in shops, which is now the major achille's heel of the trade (due to stock limitations). Which is the reason I don't and won't get a shop.
  • Xenthos said:

Lack of shoes and underwear leave you disadvantaged on the battlefield..?

I'm missing something important here, I think.

Doesn't underwear give extra things that might get ripped off instead of your armour if you have vestiphobia? A bit niche, admittedly.

• Attach the ( ) extra to things like throwing please!

I tried to wag an item before a lobo's nose before throwing it, but I could not throw it. :(