Simple Ideas

Comments

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Doubt that will happen though--the new intros were kind of mandated from on high, so there's only so much leeway with them.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • edited October 2014
    First a small summary.

With Theatre/Stage productions, a director has to (for points) make sure there is an audience to watch their performance when they are ready to RECORD it. Now, anyone can tell you it is no easy task to get a script done and perfectly performed, and there will most likely be that small little mistake that didnt catch your eye earlier that is now saved in the Record, and the audience will more than likely not be bothered watching again.

Rather than the director weeping for the last 15 minutes wasted performing (and most likely the audience having other things to do) and then having to try and organize another showing to repeat the same performance with that mistake removed, could we perhaps get a command of something along the lines of a redo to the last line?

How it would work:

We currently have the command of Improv (BACKSTAGE IMPROV <colour> <text>) which allows us to improvise mid-show in case some actor went afk or disconnected or some such. Now, if we could perhaps add a Redo line to it to be something along the lines of BACKSTAGE IMPROVE <colour> <text> REDO which would basically replace the last line in the Recording with the redone line. Im sure the audience wouldnt mind much (if they did, they can always put a lower rating :P), but since this recording is being developed for future showings and perhaps even submission, it'll make it easier to simply fix a small mistake in the Recording, rather than having to redo the entire thing (and the grumbling of actors and audience about it >>).

Perhaps as an edition, the audience can get a line of "The stage seems to reset itself on the last performance, as it is redone".
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I'm generally in favor of anything that makes the stage more flexible and accessible. Little mistakes bug me too (both IC and OOC), but over time I've come to realize most of them the audience won't even notice, and the ones they do notice are no big deal. Even the really egregious mistakes -- like delivering a line from the wrong role, firing off an effect at the wrong time, or just generally botching something by copy/pasting hastily -- will get shrugged off by most viewers. So I'd love an addition like this, but even if it's never implemented, rest easy that we directors are disproportionately irked by little errors.

But on a related note, if you do find it necessary to re-record, you don't actually need an audience the second time. Even if you erase the recording, whatever good karma you generated during the premier will still be reflected in the production stats, and the numbers should only increase when you perform it again. Still a hassle for actors, but at least you don't have to try and time things for your org's peak hours.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Daraius said:
    Even if you erase the recording, whatever good karma you generated during the premier will still be reflected in the production stats, and the numbers should only increase when you perform it again. Still a hassle for actors, but at least you don't have to try and time things for your org's peak hours.
    Well great now @Arcanis is going to be pissed off at me  :))
    Retired.
  • Haezon said:
    Daraius said:
    Even if you erase the recording, whatever good karma you generated during the premier will still be reflected in the production stats, and the numbers should only increase when you perform it again. Still a hassle for actors, but at least you don't have to try and time things for your org's peak hours.
    Well great now @Arcanis is going to be pissed off at me  :))
  • Daraius said:
    I'm generally in favor of anything that makes the stage more flexible and accessible. Little mistakes bug me too (both IC and OOC), but over time I've come to realize most of them the audience won't even notice, and the ones they do notice are no big deal. Even the really egregious mistakes -- like delivering a line from the wrong role, firing off an effect at the wrong time, or just generally botching something by copy/pasting hastily -- will get shrugged off by most viewers. So I'd love an addition like this, but even if it's never implemented, rest easy that we directors are disproportionately irked by little errors. But on a related note, if you do find it necessary to re-record, you don't actually need an audience the second time. Even if you erase the recording, whatever good karma you generated during the premier will still be reflected in the production stats, and the numbers should only increase when you perform it again. Still a hassle for actors, but at least you don't have to try and time things for your org's peak hours.
    I just cant handle having a mistake. It'll haunt me until I get it fixed. Everytime someone tells me "nice play" I'd think "yeah...EXCEPT FOR THAT DAMN ERROR!"
  • edited October 2014
    Arcanis said:
    Daraius said:
    I'm generally in favor of anything that makes the stage more flexible and accessible. Little mistakes bug me too (both IC and OOC), but over time I've come to realize most of them the audience won't even notice, and the ones they do notice are no big deal. Even the really egregious mistakes -- like delivering a line from the wrong role, firing off an effect at the wrong time, or just generally botching something by copy/pasting hastily -- will get shrugged off by most viewers. So I'd love an addition like this, but even if it's never implemented, rest easy that we directors are disproportionately irked by little errors. But on a related note, if you do find it necessary to re-record, you don't actually need an audience the second time. Even if you erase the recording, whatever good karma you generated during the premier will still be reflected in the production stats, and the numbers should only increase when you perform it again. Still a hassle for actors, but at least you don't have to try and time things for your org's peak hours.
    I just cant handle having a mistake. It'll haunt me until I get it fixed. Everytime someone tells me "nice play" I'd think "yeah...EXCEPT FOR THAT DAMN ERROR!"
    You've not watched Haezon's plays have you. They're crap in that regard, but they still won. Have thought about going back and making them perfect, but actually, since they already won, they are good to have as examples of how NOT to do a play.
    Retired.
  • Begging @Estarra for more trill hair options and the introduction of lucidian hair wigs

• Maligorn said:
    Begging @Estarra for more trill hair options and the introduction of lucidian hair wigs
    wondering how lucidian crystals would hairflip >>
  • Even now the thought of some of the mistakes in a few of my plays rankles, but I think the rerecord option Daraius refers to is the best solution. I think a big part of the thrill of theater as a live performance is that very tension. And an even bigger part is having your actors ready both to not make mistakes, and to improvise around them when they do. Many mistakes won't be noticed by the audience no matter what, but others, they only won't because the producer and actors think on their feet and work around the flub. I think if you took that away completely it would really diminish the impact. I can tell you, my hands always shook when I was in combat, but nothing ever made me so wound up tight as producing a play with a cast of twelve and with @Estarra, @Lisaera, and @Charune in the audience, and nothing ever gave me such a high as successfully -- mostly -- completing that. The two or three flubs in the recording may rankle but they are also a reminder of that high.
  • Don't let newbies have PORTALS until after they do intro

It's true, I really am you.
  • Lendren said:
    Even now the thought of some of the mistakes in a few of my plays rankles, but I think the rerecord option Daraius refers to is the best solution. I think a big part of the thrill of theater as a live performance is that very tension. And an even bigger part is having your actors ready both to not make mistakes, and to improvise around them when they do. Many mistakes won't be noticed by the audience no matter what, but others, they only won't because the producer and actors think on their feet and work around the flub. I think if you took that away completely it would really diminish the impact. I can tell you, my hands always shook when I was in combat, but nothing ever made me so wound up tight as producing a play with a cast of twelve and with @Estarra, @Lisaera, and @Charune in the audience, and nothing ever gave me such a high as successfully -- mostly -- completing that. The two or three flubs in the recording may rankle but they are also a reminder of that high.
    I can agree with the tension and worry when it comes to performance day, especially hoping everyone gets their lines correct, but I'd have to disagree that adding a quick redo function would be a diminishing factor. If anything, I'd believe it would enhance plays, as rather than ignore mistakes, we can make sure our play is the wonderful sight it should be to read.
    Naime said:
    Don't let newbies have PORTALS until after they do intro
    After listening to a recent discussion on Newbie, there are lots of very good reasons why having the intro being as "free" and "open" as it is is a bad idea.

Confusion over guilds, trying to leave one and join another ( can't do it until the intro has completely finished)
    Confusion over city
    Confusion over race (why can't I pick another race, I didn't want human!)
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• Everiine said:
    Naime said:
    After listening to a recent discussion on Newbie, there are lots of very good reasons why having the intro being as "free" and "open" as it is is a bad idea.

Confusion over guilds, trying to leave one and join another ( can't do it until the intro has completely finished)
    Confusion over city
    Free and open? You can only do the commands they say, when they say it, and you're even forced to pick a side in Newton. Why should finks be the 'bad guys' and gnomes the 'good guys'? I helped both sides, some may find finks better, others may find gnomes better. Aren't we just propagating the idea that one side is bad and another is good when it's more complex than that?
    Retired.
  • Haezon said:
    Everiine said:
    Naime said:

Confusion over city
    Free and open? You can only do the commands they say, when they say it, and you're even forced to pick a side in Newton. Why should finks be the 'bad guys' and gnomes the 'good guys'? I helped both sides, some may find finks better, others may find gnomes better. Aren't we just propagating the idea that one side is bad and another is good when it's more complex than that?
    I believe Everiine was refering to the fact that you can portal out of the intro from the very beginning.  If this in reference to the newbies I think it is, I know we had a very hard time sorting out the problems a pair of them had because no guides were present and it was extremely difficult to figure out what part of the intro they were in to assist them.  The particular incident I am thinking of was frustrating enough that 'a helpful administrator' had to pop onto NEWBIE and intervene because we couldn't get one of the novices through the into.  The 'freedom' in this case is not narrative freedom, but the ability to simply hop off the tracks on the intro, which gives you apparent access to the wider world of Lusternia but with serious problems, such as not being able to join/leave cities and guilds because these choices are locked during the introduction.
    The idea of the new intro was that, if players knew what they were doing, it could be skipped. You didn't have to slog through it. You could get right into the world. Of course, that's bogus--you DO have to slog through it, and it's much more confusing than it used to be, but this is the way it was told it had to be.

• New constructs!

For Celest and Magnagora: A Cleansing Pool and a Sewage Outflow which respectively give the following benefits:
    -All citizens may enter the sewers freely, even if they lack the required skill.
    -Citizens are protected from Muud while inside the city sewer system.
    -At the center of the sewer system, there is a hole that can be entered for transport to/from the construct on the aetherbubble.
    -Citizens receive level 3 regeneration while in the city and allied villages.

For Serenwilde and Glomdoring: A Wild Larch and a Wyrden Mangrove.
    -All citizens may climb trees freely, even if they lack the required skill.
    -Commune members are protected from falling out of trees in when the commune.
    -Somewhere in the commune, there is a special tree that can be touched for transport to/from the construct on the aetherbubble.
    -Commune members receive level 3 regeneration while in the commune and allied villages.

For Gaudiguch and Hallifax: A Heavenly Rope and a Dimensional Elevator
    -All citizens may climb onto rooftops freely, even if they lack the required skill.
    -Citizens are protected from falling off of rooftops while in the city. Also, Hallifax gets set to actually have rooftops I guess.
    -In the market, there is a dangling rope that can be pulled for transport to/from the construct on the aetherbubble.
    -Citizens receive level 3 regeneration while in the city and allied villages.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Would those ever get built?
  • For the Mag/Celest ones, since they will randomly be destroyed it is possible newbies could be suddenly flung to Muud from what only moments ago was a safe place.

Also, opening up the sewers for a more general audience would benefit a crazy small sector of the population. I think even free discretionaries on elemental would be preferable.

I like the idea of letting people take advantage of what is in their orgs but constructs might not be the best path. Also, we would need to set a limit on how many constructs could have at one time. Otherwise it could get to the point where one org has all of them.

• Would be kinda-helpful for guard influencers, I guess... plus, free trip to the aetherbubble. But not really amazing, no.
  • The sewers being a free trip to Muud was a benefit to most people, I thought. Otherwise you have to go through the laborious process of getting to Duum.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I wouldn't class "people who want to go to Muud" as "most people". It's only a benefit, because that's all the sewers are currently used for, due to the risk.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    If it was merged with the +25% Exp on a Bubble and a Free immolation, it wouldn't be that bad.

But I'd still built free discretionaries on Earth so we can hoard all the earwort and essence for ourselves.

And at least it's more balanced than the Irontower or Blackcrypt (the Spike construct and the bonuses to being a Lich).
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • The ability to rub curios all. So many. 

Sorry if someone already posted this, can't seem to search this thread alone.
    A horde of beings swarms about Your bulk. They are diverse in shape but are, without exception, horrific to look upon. Claws and teeth without number flash across Your vision, and nebulous masses of compound eyes and writhing tentacles and spindly antennae all twist around You. With the merest thought, You open wide Your maw and lazily swallow one.
  • Silvanus said:
    If it was merged with the +25% Exp on a Bubble and a Free immolation, it wouldn't be that bad.

But I'd still built free discretionaries on Earth so we can hoard all the earwort and essence for ourselves.

And at least it's more balanced than the Irontower or Blackcrypt (the Spike construct and the bonuses to being a Lich).
    I was going to suggest that, but I figured it was "too much", at least compared to the discretionary constructs.
  • Iytha said:
    -All citizens may climb trees freely, even if they lack the required skill.

What, no mention of being able to remain in trees without being blown out? That's really important. Maybe even some protection from weather effects too.
    Retired.
  • Haezon, it says protection from falling out of trees, like, right there.

I like the commune constructs, and hate the city ones. Rooftops are pretty irrelevant.

• Maligorn said:
    Haezon, it says protection from falling out of trees, like, right there.
    …it's late, don't judge me. Weather effects would be welcome though.
    Retired.
  • I would rather have weather proofing than...like half of our current constructs.