What are you playing?

Comments

• Rift was pretty good if run of the mill through vanilla. The real issues popped up alongside its free to play model. It was never a great game, but it wasn't a failure like XIV 1.0 was.
  • Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience @Elanorwen :( You're a valid target for attack in lowsec though. I agree it is kind of lame to jump a newbie and I personally avoided it as a pirate. Or I'd catch them and then explain what went wrong. It's possible it was a training group who just wanted some target practice on anything. Might have been just some players from the corp with no proper teacher present. Or yes, maybe it was just people looking to harvest tears, there sadly are those too. In any case it's not a game for everyone and I understand that. If I could have my way then I'd want for players to have such great experiences as mine were.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Saesh said:

I didn't intend to drum up such a visceral reaction to farmville. Who knew you could dislike e-turnip farmers so much?

I downloaded FF8 and FF7 for a trip down memory lane. Why was the materia system fun again? HOLD ON I NEED TO SWAP OUT 87 THINGS BEFORE WE CAN FIGHT.

Not to mention junctioning.

"Oh hey! Here's 10 copies of that super powerful spell that you've waited all game to get. But don't cast it! I think it would be WAAAAAAY more fun to equip it to your stats."

Seriously, I don't even know why they added the option to cast magic in that game.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited November 2014
    Saesh said:

I didn't intend to drum up such a visceral reaction to farmville. Who knew you could dislike e-turnip farmers so much?

I downloaded FF8 and FF7 for a trip down memory lane. Why was the materia system fun again? HOLD ON I NEED TO SWAP OUT 87 THINGS BEFORE WE CAN FIGHT.

I think the FF7 materia system can be summed up in one sentence.  4x-Cast Knights of the Round Summon. >_>

I'll always have a soft spot for FF7 and 8, I have it on pretty much every platform it is available on >_>   been playing FF14 quite a fair bit lately myself, far less toxic environment than other games (WoW had started to become unpleasant to me not long before I gave it up)
    Saesh said:

I tried Archeage and it was terrible. Farmville as an MMO is not a concept I will ever understand.

I've been playing FF14 in my sparse free time. I have a fairy because I'm cool.

I really need to work on Summoner >_>  The only class I have remotely high is White Mage, all my other War/Magic classes are level 15 or less.  What do you think of Rogue/Ninja, if you have even tried it yet?
    Elanorwen said:
    Munsia said:
    To be fair, it's Trion. Trion hasn't had a single success since Rift
    That statement implies that Rift was a success. I tend to disagree. (Though that's a matter of personal opinion)

Rift wasn't a critical success, but it also wasn't a critical flop either. It was decidedly 'meh'. I remember when I gave it a try when it first came out, I had a fair bit of fun playing it.

Selenity said:
    Anyone planning on playing the new Pokemon games in three days?
    Can't afford it just yet, but might get it in a week or 2 when I can. Playing a bit of Pokemon X/Y when I get the opportunity. Finally got my Diancie a couple of days ago ^_^ (FYI, you can get a Shiny Beldum with Mega Stone through the Mystery Gift system between Nov 21 and Jan 14th on OR/AS)
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Kagato said:

Elanorwen said:
    Munsia said:
    To be fair, it's Trion. Trion hasn't had a single success since Rift
    That statement implies that Rift was a success. I tend to disagree. (Though that's a matter of personal opinion)

Rift wasn't a critical success, but it also wasn't a critical flop either. It was decidedly 'meh'. I remember when I gave it a try when it first came out, I had a fair bit of fun playing it.

I did say that was a matter of personal opinion. If it was decidedly 'meh', then that really isn't a success either. As to me... I got bored of Rift in the first 2 hours. It was all... ooooh, fancy system with talent trees where you can mix and match.... oh wait, I can't mix and match? But I've always been dreaming about this assassin/paladin/necromancer combo, damn it! (Kidding, I know how much of a nightmare mixing and matching would be)  Still, the whole concept ended up being boring by the time I started unlocking the extra 'soul' trees and realizing that they're all terribly similar. What they'd managed to stick in 10 soul trees per class, they could have done in exactly 3. Then you get all excited about rifts and invasions and area-wide events... then you realize how stupid it actually is because you already have level 60s from early start that are farming area events in newbie-land and you can't even get to the fight before it's over, let alone to participate in it. And yes, I recently took a peek at it again... it was very much the same deal... except with more... "Give us mucho dinero for rideable skwirrels, except you don't really get skwirrels, you get a box with a chance to drop a skwirrel, enjoy!"

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Saesh said:

I hate facebook games and those people that claim they are gamers based on playing those games
  • Munsia said:
    Saesh said:

I hate facebook games and those people that claim they are gamers based on playing those games
    They're technically gamers. I don't get and / or like some genres either but gaming shouldn't be about who does and doesn't get to be part of the cool kids club. I dislike FB games for the larger part myself due to their spammy strategies and pay-to-advance content, but if people enjoy playing them then what they are doing is gaming. Also often it is casual things like that which lead people who'd otherwise not become exposed to the joy of gaming into looking more into it. I'm all for being an inclusive community.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Rialorm said:

They're technically gamers.
    I'm going to disagree with this for the same reason that people who browse through a magazine now and then aren't readers. At some point, you have to differentiate between those who occasionally partake in an activity and those who make it part of their lifestyle and/or interact with the subculture. I can kick a ball around once or twice a week, but that won't make me a soccer player.

I'm not saying that people who like that style of game cannot be a gamer, of course. That would be silly. But using 'gamer' purely to mean 'one who plays games ever' is inaccurate because that isn't what the word is understood to mean. Is that in and of itself unreasonable? Maybe.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I never got Secrets of Raetikon to work on my old laptop, but finally having played through it... Largely disappointed. It's so beautiful, but the gameplay is annoying and the ending is infuriating.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Outlast and Alien: Isolation.

Because apparently I can't get enough heart failure at the moment...
    With an exasperated sigh, you say, "One moment please, I'm threatening a muffin in a box!"
  • Two pictures during the first 3-4 hours of gameplay (and I haven't even touched the main quest... oh my G.O.S.H these areas are massive in comparison to the other two games anyway).

Meet Bryn, my sassy, Orlesian-hating Carta Dwarf Archer.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

I also love that the rogue armor looks more spymaster-sleek. We aint need no clankety loud armor!

• SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    I got the new Pokemon game! Alpha Sapphire!

My friend code, if anyone wants to add me:

1891-1163-5753
    I MIGHT be getting it later in the week, not 100% sure.  I'm on the fence about whether I will get one of the games locally or wait until I get to the states and go two ways in a copy of the version that has both AR and OS with my g/f

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    This War of Mine.  A fun, semi depressing little romp where it feels like I'm not ever going to win.  But, as I'm learning the mechanics more, things are starting to come together.
  • Tarkenton said:
    This War of Mine.  A fun, semi depressing little romp where it feels like I'm not ever going to win.  But, as I'm learning the mechanics more, things are starting to come together.
    This War of Mine was in my Steam Spotlight the other day, am tempted to get it. D:
    Honestly, I paid full price for it and I have no regrets.  If you've ever played Rebuild, it's similar to it, except instead of constant menu choices determining what your guys do, you get to control them.
  • My life has been consumed by Dragon Age: Inquistion. I will see you all in a month. Don't break anything.
    Saesh said:
    My life has been consumed by Dragon Age: Inquistion. I will see you all in a month. Don't break anything.
    Don't go saying that within earshot of @Xenthos!

• So I'm actually still in the middle of my examinations, and my schedule is still filled with work and assignments, and I barely have enough free time to myself...

But I got myself this game anyway, because I'm such a fanboy I couldn't resist. Just here to brag about it because... I need to get a bit of a high from somewhere other than my books:

I got Mass Effect 2 and 3 for super cheap, thinking I'd gotten 1 and 2. How crucial is that first installment? :|
    I used to make cakes.

• NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Daraius said:
    I got Mass Effect 2 and 3 for super cheap, thinking I'd gotten 1 and 2. How crucial is that first installment? :|
    I got 1 and 2. I'm iffy on 3, because it's not on Steam.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
    Played through Dead Rising 2 in a day. Got the "best" ending and overtime mode. Was fun, but I remember the first game taking much much much more time.
  • edited November 2014
    Portius said:
    Europa Universalis 4, Crusader Kings 2. Soon I'll have worked out EU4's mechanics pretty well, and then I can begin a truly epic AAR detailing the glory of the viking goat-lords (because Gotland has the best banner.)
    EU 4 is the best.

On a side note,

PC - EU4, Payday 2, XCOM, A wizards Lizard (Kelly dats 4 u m8), One finger Death Punch, WoW, Diablo 3, Diablo 2, Watch_Dogs, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, State of Decay, Insurgency, Borderlands 2, Borderlands the Pre Sequel, Dayz, Castle Crashers, Risk of Rain, Rust, Starbound, Terraria, Warframe, Civ 5, Nether, Papers, Please, DOTA 2, LoL, Arma 3, Max Payne 3, Runescape,
    XBOX 360 - GTA 5, XCOM, Black Ops 2, Ghosts, Black Ops, MW3,
    DS - Pokemon (all of them :3)
    Phone - Clash of Clans
    ヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ☂ ɪᴛs ʀᴀɪɴɪɴɢ sᴀʟᴛ! ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ☂                                ヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`

• edited November 2014
    Daraius said:
    It is and it isn't, and it really is the clunkiest and most tedious to play. The mechanics of 2 and 3 are a lot more fun. There's a couple pretty big plot decisions that are completely closed off to you, and one major character you will never see in the story.

Unless of course you buy the little DLC program in ME2 that lets you run through the major choices/plot points for a new char in like 15 minutes.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • I actually thought that the ME1 combat was a lot more hilarious than the ME2 and ME3 combat, because of the biotic powers and how you could literally throw everything everywhere and make enemies fall 1000 feet out of the sky to their deaths.

It was great fun, and you couldn't do that anymore because they 'nerfed' powers.
  • Yeah, but it's so grindy, at least if you're a completionist. I find Adept still OP throughout the trilogy, even through the nerfs. Biotic/tech explosions are great fun. :D

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • ME:1 is fun because your actions in it affect 2 and 3. IMO, worth the buy. It's also got a very Firefly feel to it where you're leading your crew into space.
  • Also, the way your jeep thing magnetically always lands wheels-down is amazing.
  • Also if you don't play ME1 you miss out on the best Big Baddie in the series.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
    Welp, ME1 is super cheap on Steam right now, but as far as I can tell it won't be possible to transfer my data to the PS3 when I'm ready to start on ME2. Still, I feel like there's a lot of universe-building I'd miss out on if I start with ME2...
    I used to make cakes.