Tweets VI: The Tweetsixteenth

Comments

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Didn't I make a post about quitting Lusternia? I'm sure I did.

Then I turned into a fink.

• Kaiel, then, must turn into a fink.
  • These games are so difficult to come back to. Especially without trying to freeload off of friends or anything.
    Haezon said:
     Think of Hallifax as less communism and more DMV city.
  • Synkarin said:

Kaiel said:

Synkarin said:

Out of curiosity - didn't I see @Kaiel post about how he's qutting Lusternia forever because of draaaama. 

And now he's here creating it?
    I fail to see how pointing out hilarious hypocrisy is creating drama.

Besides, it's fun watching Arcanis cry.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy making Arcanis cry myself AND I'm all about pointing out hypocrisy, such as pointing out when someone makes a post that they're leaving Lusternia forever because of drama and the troll the forums causing a ruckus.

Because that's exactly what you're doing.

Just stop sending those empty presents, they hurt my soul with disappointment! D:
  • Backtracking to Drakius' rant,

His issue is not that he's not getting any attention. He's been playing an alt in an org now where he has been all but completely neglected. Having also played an alt recently in this org, I can confirm some things:

o Said org will basically ask, "Hey, xyznovice, how are you doing?" and then ignore you, completely and entirely, after your response (sometimes questions going entirely unanswered) or solving any pressing issues. It's not a lead in to roleplay, or treated as such. Had I not used to have a main in that org, and been here for many, many years and learned the lore and roleplay otherwise, when it was more active, I never would have known what was up.

o Guilds in said org are not motivating their novices to want to do much. Many members of the leadership sit around afk-- on prime where they are visible--while other people are constantly 'too busy' to do much of anything, and there are few to no people who actually at least pretend to care about the novices. There is -one- member of that council. currently, that gives any of a damn and interacts, but that council member is also, of course, constantly busy. Not to say 'ermigerd council members need to pay attention to all novices at all tiems', but if there is someone who is new to the game, I can see where they are getting frustrated when -most people in the org-, appointed teachers and guild secretaries/undersecretaries included, blow them off when they're wanting to learn more and get integrated. 

There's an issue, across the game at that, where people forget that we were all novices once, and all new to the game, and all had to learn it from the bottom up. This is not to say we're crappy people or anything, because every org does have it's good teachers, and as someone who has burnt out time and time again teaching new people, I understand where everything is coming from.. but if we don't properly integrate these new folks, then we have a problem where we lose a new population we could have retained. I see far more 'older' players than I ever do newer ones, and newer ones tend to stop coming by after a little while after I get a lot of frustration about the game being hard to learn after Newton.

I have gotten a fair bit of attitude from some teachers on some alts, when putting myself in the shoes of a 'new' player, for not knowing 'basic information' like transversing, where to hunt, ect. It's just silly, and unmotivating. We're a very tight community, despite our ups and downs... but it feels like we're not willing to let new people in or give them a chance unless they're alts or we find them particularly 'cool' and self-sufficient anymore. The ones that stumble and struggle tend to be ignored.

My two cents. I'm not putting names or particular orgs on blast, because every org and every community can find ways to improve themselves. Take it or leave it.

• Azureus said:

These games are so difficult to come back to. Especially without trying to freeload off of friends or anything.

Aaaaaa... come back @Azureus you're my only e-grandchild T^T

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Rheatsis said:

Backtracking to Drakius' rant,

TL;DR

If you're going to be alting, chances are people will figure you out, no matter how good you are at pretending to be a fresh newbie. Then it becomes a matter of 'holy crap, what an ass to demand so much attention'. At least that is my opinion. Me, I have professor in the Aeros, but I only have it for convenience's sake. If there's a Novice that wants advancement and there's no-one else available, I'll give them the exam. As a GC I do not have the permission to do so and thus I asked to be appointed teacher/undersec. Nowhere have I expressed the desire to teach novices anything. On the other hand, if you can see me online (meaning I'm on Prime) and you ask a question, you will receive an answer to the best of my abilities. I don't afk on Prime. Also, if I ask you a question, and you answer that you need assistance in any fashion, you will receive assistance. Sometimes, it could be a "read this and that help file", but it will be assistance, and I'm pretty sure I'm the worst of the lot as far as teaching novices in Hallifax goes.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Don't worry @Elanorwen, she's talking about Gaudi

I won't lie, I don't pay much attention to novices, it's not really my thing,  and I do sit around on prime AFK at times (either doing something else on my computer at that point, or being pulled away from it). I also know I'm not the only one that does that. 

If directly asked a question, I'll respond usually, but maybe not in a timely manner. I also tend to make people work for it, by pointing out help scrolls and telling them to get done what they can and ask specific questions if they're still wondering. But again, I don't go out of my way to ask questions of novices and see how they're doing. I'm probably not going to start anytime soon either. Not because I'm not interested in helping novices out that need it, more because I just simply don't think about it in the first place.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Shaddus said:

imageLook! My Isunite parrot matured!

Everiine said:

Would you all knock it off? Some of us do come to this thread to check up on other things going on. This may come as a shock, but really, nobody else cares.

I'd prefer it if he didn't 'knock it off', I enjoy these sort's of posts.
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• edited February 2015
    If you actually read the whole fragging post you'd know what specific org it's about.

EDIT: to adhere to forum language rules

EDIT 2: At the risk of outing my alt, here is a tweet rave for @Siam who actively interacts with the new Gloms. Admittedly if people like him weren't in Glom and I was a trubie I probably would not have logged back into Glom.
    The playa you love to hate
    Drakius said:

If you actually read the whole fragging post you'd know what specific org it's about.

EDIT: to adhere to forum language rules

EDIT 2: At the risk of outing my alt, here is a tweet rave for @Siam who actively interacts with the new Gloms. Admittedly if people like him weren't in Glom and I was a trubie I probably would not have logged back into Glom.

Rude.... but then again, I'm not surprised considering how you snapped at your GA while you were in Halli.

As to reading the whole post? Sorry to disappoint you, but I did read it... I merely removed the five paragraphs so as not to clutter the forums with long posts when it wasn't necessary to do so. Nowhere does she mention the org name in question unless I'm somehow supposed to magically know some vague reference to an event current or former.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • edited February 2015
    Just piping up again, Gaudi and Halli weren't actually the orgs I was complaining about. I'll be less vague next time, I just didn't want to start hard-slamming anyone in particular. :(

Hallifax and Serenwilde, actually, were the two best orgs I've tried in the last few months. Gaudi wasn't bad, but it's hard for me to alt in Gaudi to get a decent testing-pool. Hard for me to get into the Spirit of the Org (tm) in general.

Edit::

Well, let me clarify. Seren was good. The Shofangi were kinda just dinking around. At the least, my questions got answered by other people and junk.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Out of the 17 new characters I played this week, only three were greeted and helped.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited February 2015
    Oh so you did read but are just actively ignorant? Hallifax does great, you get a nice feel of the atmosphere when everyone greets their comrades! Gaudiguch /usually/ takes care of their nubs, I know Alary and Altrea almost religiously check the welfare of novices. Depending on your guild in Mag, you will be fine (Nihilist/Urguard/Caco ftw). I can't remember the last time I played in Celest, so, I just assume you guys do alright considering the novices I see stick with them. Serenwilde, as Rheatsis said, is great. EDIT: Glom is doing better than say, a month ago.

Overall we're doing okay, but more people giving a crap about their org/players wouldn't hurt.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Whoa, now, people. Let's be smart and bring it off.

* * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."

BIG

MEATY

CLAWS

• A lot of people seem to have a lot of frustrations to vent in February. Ascension making everyone crazy!

I think we should take all claims of an org being 'the best' or 'the worst' with several grains of salt because there is always a bias from people saying these things and we can't know all the exact details. Plus, the organisations go through different states and with different people in power. Basically, just tone down the drama and white knighting.

@Rheatsis Don't worry, sometimes people just like to assume the worst and that it's about them (If you think this is referring to you, you're part of the problem because it's not).

I used to do that, and then I got blanked by Celest and got better (That's a joke, I left on good terms). And damn it @Shaddus, I helped out at least 7 of those characters.

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    WELL THESE CLAWS AIN'T JUST FOR ATTRACTIN' MATES

* * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Tylwyth said:

Would you all knock it off? Some of us do come to this thread to check up on other things going on. This may come as a shock, but really, nobody else cares.

I'd prefer it if he didn't 'knock it off', I enjoy these sort's of posts.

Oh, I wasn't talking about the rainbow kitten unicorn. That rocked. I was talking about the bickering arguments back and forth. Sorry!
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Lol, I don't understand how anything can be off-topic in tweets but ok

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Donato said:

And damn it @Shaddus, I hit on at least 7 of those characters.

Ftfy
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I'm just an abusive ass. Gosh guys we established this.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Well it's heartening to hear someone say Hallifax is doing all right with its newbies. I always feel like I'm underperforming as Ambassador in that field. Working on it, though!
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited February 2015
    I used to be pretty newbie-oriented, but then it just kinda fell flat for me. I get annoyed every time I pull out all the stops for a newbie and they disappear after day 1. It also depends on what mood I'm in.

One thing I will always help with is navigating Hallifax, at least. It's a big turn off for casual players to have to understand a 3D map. However, it serves as an intriguing filter: those who strive to figure it out on their own tend to be serious keepers, and serious about staying in Hallifax/Lusternia. And I'd postulate that that is one of the reasons we have a quality playerbase (ex. Saaga, Nihmriel, Portius, Daraius, Vivet, Talan). Not to toot my own horn or do the forumrp propaganda -- I seriously believe this.

I guess I should include some actual newbies that have been good for Hallifax that I'm not entirely sure are alts: Aruin, Luce, Juste, Varyx.

• Hallifax is awesome once you're past the initial omfg why is it so hard to walk without landmarks!
  • Maligorn said:

[stuff] some actual newbies that have been good for Hallifax that I'm not entirely sure are alts: [stuff] Juste, [stuff]

thanks, but not an alt.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    To slightly defend Glom, I haven't been able to be around lately due to a lot of family drama that appears to be culminating with my dad leaving my step mother. Apparently having to sleep in the cold next to a transformer box to keep warm for a night or two clears one's mind.

That being said, I like to think I generally help out new folks with anything they have questions with, as well as showering them with equipment, curatives, tattoos, and hunting trips. I tend to explain anything I have a grasp on instead of referring to help files, and pull out help files only if I honestly don't know/can't explain it any better.

If anyone who's an alt has any feedback for me on my approach, positive or negative, feel free to message me. I'd love to hear it.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I don't think I understand why people say Hallifax is hard to navigate, actually. We have a fairly regular structure that you can learn and use to navigate. It was Serenwilde that drove me mad on navigation, simply because everything seemed to be placed more or less at random and I couldn't find any structural landmarks to rely on.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Maligorn said:

I used to be pretty newbie-oriented, but then it just kinda fell flat for me. I get annoyed every time I pull out all the stops for a newbie and they disappear after day 1. It also depends on what mood I'm in.

Yeah I hate that too, but actually most of the time they disappear because they went through the hour long tutorial and probably have other things to do.

In my day the tutorial took only 10 minutes (15 if never played before). Oh, and IT WAS OPTIONAL.
    Donato said:

Maligorn said:

Yeah I hate that too, but actually most of the time they disappear because they went through the hour long tutorial and probably have other things to do.

In my day the tutorial took only 10 minutes (15 if never played before). Oh, and IT WAS OPTIONAL.
    He means disappear never to return after being given a full grand tour of Halli and its neighboring planes.

This discussion has been closed.