No-Stat Race System

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Question: Does the level 3 racial regen stack with the One with Nature trait (getting to 7/10 regeneration)?
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Also, for clarification:
    Faelings who can fly by other personal means are no longer knocked out of the sky by high winds, and instead are stunned for two seconds.
    ^-- This includes the high-wind trigger when moving, right?  I know that's what we had talked about, but I'd like to make sure, since it's not explicitly stated. :)
  • Yes to both.
  • edited May 2015
    The changes are pretty great - thanks for taking it all into consideration, @Baelor.

I'm still in favour of introducing something at the L50 level for weapon-spec races, much as was done for the org-spec races. However, everything else looks pretty solid. A few additional thoughts of mine below:

• Dracnari/Viscanti reworks: neat idea. 5% chance for extra damage/affliction on an on-damage attack isn't enough to be a crutch in combat. Would be awesome if additional damage could potentially proc on denizens at a higher rate.
    • Elfen/Faeling: super stoked that resistances were added in lieu of repeated regenerations.
    • Trill/Faeling: caveat added for people who can naturally fly is great, so it doesn't lose effectiveness for them.
    • Mugwump/Igasho/Merian: handy additions for their L25 skills. For Mugwumps, I'd consider giving them Jump just cause it's thematically appropriate/hilolious, but also differentiates them from Merians more. I'd also increase the mana regen in water to 2/10 or 3/10 since it's not only terrain confined, but single stat only, or altogether remove the terrain requirement. If they're gonna be *the* mana race, empower them to be so in all aspects.
    • Still would prefer a redux on essence/xp loss on death/burnout for Human demiperk rather than an additional level of xp/essence gain. I just feel it's redundant, especially since for a lot of people, demigod at endgame is the goal for stacking xp buffs anyway.
    • Lucidian: further thought is that 1% an hour is a bit of a damper - would consider upping frequency or percentage for better utility. That or add on faster linking on top of the increased max reserves. I'd like to think of these guys as *the* race for power management, but feel the other neat things I could think of would skew things too badly for combat.
    • Taurian: will caster-Taurians also SWING, or do a standard bash attack/shieldstun like was mentioned in other conversations? I'd prefer the standard bash attack, but also would like this to proc on denizens like Dracnari/Viscanti. Bashing buffs are great.

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Mugwumps and their CATCHFLY emote should restore health/mana/ego ala sparkleberry.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Siam said:

Mugwumps and their CATCHFLY emote should restore health/mana/ego ala sparkleberry.

As long as it's 1 h/m/e and on a minute cooldown, sure.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • edited May 2015
    Siam said:

I actually find this idea really fun and unique. :)

And if it works -on- sparkle balance (+ all other restrictions) then I see no balance issue either. All you'd save from using catchfly vs. sparkle is some gold. Make it work on prime only (I doubt there are edible flies on like.. astral?) and it'd most likely mainly be used as a bashing support.
  • Xenthos said:

Question: Does the level 3 racial regen stack with the One with Nature trait (getting to 7/10 regeneration)?

I dunno if it was clear or not but we'd get rid of the 3 level racial gen system and replace with the 10 level system.
  • edited May 2015
    I think he was referring to the tier 3 regen that org races get on their terrain type, using the term levels with regards to perks is confusing.

Looking to wrap up here, there's been talk of introducing a light bonus to weapon races at tier 3, in similar vein to the health/mana regen of org races on their affected plains. However without suggestions I'm unsure what to go with here, any boon would have to be minor as not to give too much value to people already benefiting from a tier 3 perk.

The following proposed adjustments will be made unless anyone wants to offer alternatives.

• -wood tier 2 reverted, BARKTOUCH removed and PERSPECTIVE and various bonuses shifted to an early -wood spec skill.
    • Mugwump changed from DIVE to JUMP, balance recovery reduced for those who have LEAP through natural abilities. (I don't like adding a free sparkleberry bonus to a race for various reasons.) Mugwump mana regeneration has no terrain requirement.
    • Human's Jack of All Trades changed to reduced xp loss (think Lich reduction) on death and ego burnout.
    • Lucidian Supercharged reduces the time taken to link from a nexus or power node. Will stack with flux capacitor.
    • ENRAGED Taurian with a shield equipped and the SHIELDSTUN skill will do that instead of a weapon swing. Not going to allow it to work vs denizens at this time, same for fire/poison breath. (For reference enrage has a 5% chance.)

Unless there's any alternatives to the above few or proposals to add a minor bonus to weapon races at tier 3. This will be submitted to Estarra tomorrow. Thank you all for your feedback throughout this.
  • I'm content with Loboshigaru, I have nothing to add
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    edited May 2015
    Baelor said:

The following proposed adjustments will be made unless anyone wants to offer alternatives.

• -wood tier 2 reverted, BARKTOUCH removed and PERSPECTIVE and various bonuses shifted to an early -wood spec skill.
    Can we keep Barktouch for flavour? It was one of my favourite things about rolling an alt that was a Wyrdenwood, and the attack/death lines are really cool.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    It would also be cool to expand the nature curse lines -woods get to all druids.
  • BARKTOUCH could get added to the -wood skillsets, as for line changes, that's not the point of this, you'd have to petition that separately.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Where?
  • The changes look great. Just some very minor suggestions:

Could we make it so that the illithoid illdrain decay makes it go down 1/10 every hour instead of all 5/10 every hour?

I agree that the Orclach resistance scaling should start at 75%, and therefore cap at 5/8 instead of 6/8 when they hit 15%. Since it's a universal dmp, it will still be very very useful.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited May 2015
    I kinda like the thematic implications of the famed loboshigaru loyalty translating to a general impression of trustworthiness, even if it's a little weird going from all-around crappy influencer to empowering champ.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Dwarves and rae'dae already have influencing bonuses at tier 3. How about giving all the weapon spec races a blanket boost to empowering. Maybe because people respect those races strength, so if they tell you you're cool, you believe them.

Can keep dwarves/tae'dae needing Music to get their seduction/charity boost.

• edited May 2015
    I think he was referring to the tier 3 regen that org races get on their terrain type, using the term levels with regards to perks is confusing.

Looking to wrap up here, there's been talk of introducing a light bonus to weapon races at tier 3, in similar vein to the health/mana regen of org races on their affected plains. However without suggestions I'm unsure what to go with here, any boon would have to be minor as not to give too much value to people already benefiting from a tier 3 perk.

• Mugwump changed from DIVE to JUMP, balance recovery reduced for those who have LEAP through natural abilities. (I don't like adding a free sparkleberry bonus to a race for various reasons.) Mugwump mana regeneration has no terrain requirement.
    • Human's Jack of All Trades changed to reduced xp loss (think Lich reduction) on death and ego burnout.
    • Lucidian Supercharged reduces the time taken to link from a nexus or power node. Will stack with flux capacitor.
    • ENRAGED Taurian with a shield equipped and the SHIELDSTUN skill will do that instead of a weapon swing. Not going to allow it to work vs denizens at this time, same for fire/poison breath. (For reference enrage has a 5% chance.)

Unless there's any alternatives to the above few or proposals to add a minor bonus to weapon races at tier 3. This will be submitted to Estarra tomorrow. Thank you all for your feedback throughout this.
    I've gotten a bit more feedback talking with folk and have the following thoughts:
    • Whoop whoop for the above considerations for changes. The Taurian change confused me a bit though - so it's a 5% chance to proc the swing, with a 50% chance to swing on the same target or someone else in the room? That sounds very...probability-filled. 
    • Furrikin demiperk may be too good a passive in the current game to pass up for combatants without Acrobatics. Until more is known regarding the plans for entangle affs and regen levels, the current landscape favours faster writhe times too well to escape our multitude of entanglements. Suggest reduction to just 50% effective faster tumble/writhe for this perk rather than 100% effectiveness.
    • Weapon-spec Races: any inclination on what sort of proposal you'd like? I peppered in various regens to these guys through the original proposal at L50 (except the faster realitycheck for Krokani), but didn't seem well received. If other things are preferred, maybe:
      • Dwarf L50: natural miner (faster DIG balance if possessing a shovel, or maybe unearthing 2 levels instead of 1 per DIG) or surefootedness, an increased resistance to elemental movement (waves, earthquakes, etc.).
      • Krokani L50: decreased Realitycheck EQ or altogether removal of Observe/Glance EQ
      • Tae'dae L50: x/10 ego regen (a nod to their historical charisma) or a +1 rooting modifier (natural bulkiness, rather than base 0)
      • Igasho L50: x/10 health regen (a nod to their historical hardiness) or a +1 warmth modifier (natural weatherproofing, rather than base 0)
      • Orclach L50: +weaken/paranoia influencing or something more to play off of their death-focus, an x% offering bonus for corpses. Perhaps 5%. (trying to really stay away from giving more tanking to Orclach)
      • Illithoid L50: x/10 underground health regen or play up their sneakiness - natural SHROUD, and if already possessing the ability, shroud is balance free to cast. I'd personally like an effect that hides the Illithoid's name on deathsense/deathsight on a successful kill, but would that flavor effect be considered minor?
      • Kephera L50: x/10 underground health regen or hivemind bonus (as a squad member, you get +x% HME per member of the squad, capped at x%. Possible 2.5% per member, max 10%. Personal effect only). 
    Of course, it's possible to switch up on these perks. I can see Dwarves being as resistant to movement, or Orclach having the weathering bonus, as well, thick hide and all. Whichever fits best.
  • edited May 2015
    Call me biased, as I currently play a human, but I find their proposed racials less than interesting. I feel a bit out of my league here, though, so I'm not entirely sure what to suggest. I will only point out that many of the other proposed racials have alternative bonuses when the player already has the original bonus (e.g., having diving elsewhere as a merian, or having the ability to fly by other means as a trill); what about human healers, who never use diagnose/firstaid and therefore have no EQ cost associated with determining their afflictions?
    The thing is, the lack of eq cost of succor is a perk attached to a skillset, not a race. And it's already a strong perk on its own. The eq bonus still benefits other human players. It's similar to how the warrior specs(Igasho and Blademaster) benefit at level 50 wouldn't benefit non-warrior Igashos.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Siam said:

The thing is, the lack of eq cost of succor is a perk attached to a skillset, not a race. And it's already a strong perk on its own. The eq bonus still benefits other human players. It's similar to how the warrior specs(Igasho and Blademaster) benefit at level 50 wouldn't benefit non-warrior Igashos.

Trill who have the ability to fly by guild skills get an additional bonus to the racial ability that would otherwise just allow them to fly. 
  • Baelor said:

• Dracnari
      • Tier 1 reworked. Now grants 1/4 psychic resistance and BREATHE FIRE. This can melt icewalls at the same balance speed as an ignite enchant.
      • Tier 5 trait: Breath of Dracnoris. BREATHE FIRE now also burns away briar and thorn walls as well as its current effect, balance speed increased. Breath of Dracnoris grants an automatic passive lighting of pipes, and when attacking another player has a % chance to breathe fire at the target, causing fire damage and inflicting them with ablaze.
    I don't think these skills, active or passive, should work while in underwater environments.
  • Viynain said:

• Illithoid L50: x/10 underground health regen or play up their sneakiness - natural SHROUD, and if already possessing the ability, shroud is balance free to cast. I'd personally like an effect that hides the Illithoid's name on deathsense/deathsight on a successful kill, but would that flavor effect be considered minor?
      • Kephera L50: x/10 underground health regen or hivemind bonus (as a squad member, you get +x% HME per member of the squad, capped at x%. Possible 2.5% per member, max 10%. Personal effect only).
    I actually forgot about hivemind for Keph. I think both of these are great. For one, I'd love the shroud balance effect, and hiding deathsense could be interesting. It's not just flavour - it can be situationally useful, to prevent mass scryings after landing a kill and the sort.

Kalliste said:

Siam said:

Trill who have the ability to fly by guild skills get an additional bonus to the racial ability that would otherwise just allow them to fly. 
    It makes sense for trills, who have wings and can fly, to "improve" their flying abilities by being in a guild with an affinity for flight. The example you cited only affects human healers. And a similar situation is present for non-warrior igashos.

#bringShikariback 

• Alright, thank you for the fast replies, I'll go through them below with any adjustments announced in each note.
    • There have been concerns about the strength of Embrace Death, changed to 1/8 at 90% with an additional level per 20% (up from 15%) capping out at 5/10 (down from 6/10) at 10% (previously 15%) health.
    • Taurian enrage can be adjusted to a higher % due to the unpredictable nature of the ability. The % chance racials were all designed at the same number, but due to the double (arguably triple) RNG of Enrage, I'm considering an increase up to 10%.
    • Furrikin can have different levels of bonuses to different skills. General feedback I've been getting is that ROLL is fine, but to tone down SLIP to a level between writhe and contort.
    • Taking Viynain's suggestions for the weapon races, Dwarves gain bonus resistance to elemental movement effects, Igasho will gain a bonus to their warmth modifier, Illithoid gain a 2/10 regeneration to health underground. Kephera will gain a 1/10 regeneration to health and ego while underground. Krokani will have the EQ of Observe/Glance removed. Orclach gain a bonus to corpse offering. Tae'dae gain a 1/10 ego regeneration.
    • Humans with the HEALING tertiary active gain a 2/10 regeneration to health.
    • Dracnari BREATHE FIRE will be functional in all environments. While fire in the world outside may be dependant on oxygen, Dracnari fire is not.

Short of any major objections, this will be added to the changes along with those listed above, and submitted at the end of today.
    Out of interest, will the spec races no longer have visible adjectives? I.E. High elfen, imperial merian, adamantine lucidian etc.

• Undecided on that yet, it's possible that we'll reuse adjectives or simply retain them as they are with no actual bonuses other than a shiny racial name variant.

For now my focus is getting the mechanics in place so the system can be implemented.
  • All I have to add at the moment is the following:

Please keep bearhug for tae'dae. Plus maybe add something about honey. /forumrps.

Tae'dae can substitute honey for bromides. :D