Lack of Raves V: Stark Ravin' Glad

Comments

• Raves for all the assistance in claiming my first Domoth. Thank you @Shedrin @Ryboi @Niina and @Telperion!
    Her storm-coloured eyes a muted blue, Lisaera, the Silver Goddess says, "Only sorrow can come from a rotting thought, My child, just like roots that have been drowned. You are a paragon of the wisdom I would see spread throughout the Serenwilde, but even the strongest minds must find release."
    -
    A shimmering liquid appears in your inventory smelling sweetly of something carbonated. It vanishes in a puff of silver smoke seconds later.
    -
    I write things
  • Thank you so much @Darvellan for helping Saoirse with her requests and helping the Celestines with their ceremonies and RP, you truly are wonderful!

Sao <3 Pandy
  • Solving that awful light puzzle for the Throne in 8 moves.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Is it just a standard 3x3 lights out? I haven't done the quest ever, so I'm curious.
  • Tarkenton said:
    Is it just a standard 3x3 lights out? I haven't done the quest ever, so I'm curious.
    Yeah. And I do plenty of logic puzzles, but those types of grid/light puzzles have always frustrated me more than anything else. I'm not a visual person at all. THAT'S WHY I PLAY TEXT GAMES. Gah!
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • That's why I wrote a program to solve it for me. I detest those puzzles. Fortunately they're quick to solve.
  • Ssaliss said:
    That's why I wrote a program to solve it for me. I detest those puzzles. Fortunately they're quick to solve.
    Pfft. That's cheating. It's really not so bad now that I'm memorizing some of the patterns.
  • Kethaera said:
    Ssaliss said:
    That's why I wrote a program to solve it for me. I detest those puzzles. Fortunately they're quick to solve.
    Pfft. That's cheating. It's really not so bad now that I'm memorizing some of the patterns.
    Time to change 'em up, I see...
  • I always thought the patterns were completely random... Or are there unsolvable states? Hmm. Need to investigate. Shouldnt take too long to do a full run, considering there are only 2^9 (or 512) different possible patterns in a 3x3 grid.
  • Darvellan said:
    Kethaera said:
    Ssaliss said:
    Time to change 'em up, I see...
    Evvvvvil
    Her storm-coloured eyes a muted blue, Lisaera, the Silver Goddess says, "Only sorrow can come from a rotting thought, My child, just like roots that have been drowned. You are a paragon of the wisdom I would see spread throughout the Serenwilde, but even the strongest minds must find release."
    -
    A shimmering liquid appears in your inventory smelling sweetly of something carbonated. It vanishes in a puff of silver smoke seconds later.
    -
    I write things
  • Ooh! You know what you can do? Make both the starting state and the ending state completely random. That'd mean there'd be 2^18 (or 512*512, or 262144) possible scenarios... good luck memorising those.
  • On a 3x3, there's only three tiles you actually care about: Corner, center, and side, plus the general inversion. General is the easiest, just hit all four corners plus center. Center is also easy, hit all sides plus center. Corner is done if you hit all corners except opposite and the two sides opposite. Side can be inverted by hitting the opposite side, opposite corners, and center. Obviously this isn't a particularly efficient way of solving the thing, but it does mean that any state is reachable by any other.

Oh, and this is assuming corners don't hit center.
  • Kethaera said:

Solving that awful light puzzle for the Throne in 8 moves.

I could not even find the pieces for the altars.. and I tried probing every item listed in the verbose room descriptions.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Makaela said:
    Solving that awful light puzzle for the Throne in 8 moves.
    I could not even find the pieces for the altars.. and I tried probing every item listed in the verbose room descriptions.
    Sometimes they're showing as the plural form versus the singular, etc. I've done it so many times at this point I don't even think when poking at the hiding places... but it certainly took some trial and error the first couple of tries. Keep at it, you'll figure it out.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Kalnid said:
    On a 3x3, there's only three tiles you actually care about: Corner, center, and side
    Isn't that...all of the tiles?
    A far away voice whispers, the sound barely reaching your ears, yet the words remain perfectly clear, "Then so be it."
  • @Phulbelishi shhh he was trying for moon logic
  • Kalnid said:
    On a 3x3, there's only three tiles you actually care about: Corner, center, and side
    Isn't that...all of the tiles?
    That's the point, yes. There's three types. Nine total, but you don't care about six because they're the same as the first three.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Ssaliss said:

I always thought the patterns were completely random... Or are there unsolvable states? Hmm. Need to investigate. Shouldnt take too long to do a full run, considering there are only 2^9 (or 512) different possible patterns in a 3x3 grid.

Selenity was considering a book that outlined every possible solution. I assume that's why she's no longer around. :/
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Daraius said:
    I always thought the patterns were completely random... Or are there unsolvable states? Hmm. Need to investigate. Shouldnt take too long to do a full run, considering there are only 2^9 (or 512) different possible patterns in a 3x3 grid.
    Selenity was considering a book that outlined every possible solution. I assume that's why she's no longer around. :/
    I thought that was for the tower of Hanoi on the Moon Bubble.
    A far away voice whispers, the sound barely reaching your ears, yet the words remain perfectly clear, "Then so be it."
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal

Daraius said:
    The tower of Hanoi puzzles can bite me. I can solve them in less than a minute, but actually going through all the syntax to make Tremula solve them saps me and I lose my place. I end up writing a long command using no less than 50 command separators just so that way I don't fuck it up.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Kalnid said:
    On a 3x3, there's only three tiles you actually care about: Corner, center, and side, plus the general inversion. General is the easiest, just hit all four corners plus center. Center is also easy, hit all sides plus center. Corner is done if you hit all corners except opposite and the two sides opposite. Side can be inverted by hitting the opposite side, opposite corners, and center. Obviously this isn't a particularly efficient way of solving the thing, but it does mean that any state is reachable by any other.

That's actually more what I meant by memorizing them! Not the actual layouts, just how to move the lights around given particular circumstances.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited June 2015
    Tremula said:

Daraius said:
    The tower of Hanoi puzzles can bite me. I can solve them in less than a minute, but actually going through all the syntax to make Tremula solve them saps me and I lose my place. I end up writing a long command using no less than 50 command separators just so that way I don't fuck it up.

Alias: solveHanoiRecursive
    #if (%1 > 0) {
       solveHanoiRecursive %eval(%1 - 1) %2 %4 %3
       moveHanoiDisc %item(@hanoiDiscs, %1) %2 %4
       solveHanoiRecursive %eval(%1 - 1) %3 %2 %4
    }

Alias: moveHanoiDisc
    get %1 from %2
    put %1 in %3 confirm

Set the variables for what each of the "disks" are and what the three "towers" are (how you reference them), what the source / destination are (this can be done via another alias command too), and let it do its magic.  Instant solve of Hanoi in under a second, and don't need to type it all out either! :)

Edit: Note that this works best when they are all in the same room, I didn't write scripts to move me around at the same time, but that's theoretically possible too.
  • Kethaera said:
    Kalnid said:
    On a 3x3, there's only three tiles you actually care about: Corner, center, and side, plus the general inversion. General is the easiest, just hit all four corners plus center. Center is also easy, hit all sides plus center. Corner is done if you hit all corners except opposite and the two sides opposite. Side can be inverted by hitting the opposite side, opposite corners, and center. Obviously this isn't a particularly efficient way of solving the thing, but it does mean that any state is reachable by any other.

That's actually more what I meant by memorizing them! Not the actual layouts, just how to move the lights around given particular circumstances.
    So you're saying we need to extend it to a 5x5 grid.

Noted.
  • edited June 2015
    nvm
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • Baelor said:
    Kethaera said:
    Kalnid said:

Noted.
    As a note, I'm all for that. Would give me a reason to optimise my code :D
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Ssaliss said:
    Baelor said:
    Kethaera said:
    Kalnid said:

Noted.
    As a note, I'm all for that. Would give me a reason to optimise my code :D
    It takes me like ten seconds to solve the current one. I'm all for the challenge!
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Now write more and give Hallifax more competition, please.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I'm lazy :( . I want to write more, but I'm picky about what I write. My second major work is a not-for-publlishing work, but it's already done, so I should start writing another one.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • That was so booooring.

But I got the last one!

You recite the Ode of Ellindel to a kephera sentry, emphasizing her pledge to protect those loyal to the Serenwilde.
    A kephera sentry slaps his knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Free Collective of Serenwilde after all!
     Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Free Collective of 
    Serenwilde.
This discussion has been closed.