Simple questions?

Comments

• edited August 2015
    Well, one denizen that comes to mind would be Rowena...

EDIT: Or, for that matter, Laeroc.
  • I vaguely remember reading something that implied that that was not the first encounter to produce a faeling, but I may be totally off base.

At any rate, I think most of the publication out there has to do with shadowed faeling. You might try seeing what the big faeling Glomdoring families have published, Nightshade and Shee-Slaugh particularly if I remember my explorations in historical family lore publications correctly
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I don't think it was? I think the first ones to produce faelings were from Glorianan trysts with fae, but I can't remember where I heard that, or when.
  • Um, If you read up on shadow faelings, they are specifically started when/after Rowena seduced Laeroc. IIRC that happened when Lady Viravain was restarting glomdoring. It basically implies that faelings exitsted before hand.(And they did as players in the game, ask Daganev about his Spectral Flails...)..

FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• My headcanon on this says faelings are a post-Vernal Wars race, or more specifically post-Ellindel. She seems to be the one credited most often with rediscovering fae/faethorn/ethereal stuff.

The History of the Vernal Wars has this line in the section on Kiakoda: "Though none of the mortal races, or even the other vernal gods, seem to have been aware of the fae or the great spirits of nature at this point in history, scholars have confirmed that she was in constant touch with Faethorn Realm on the ethereal plane." Given that, and that "this point in history" probably goes right to the very end of the Vernal Wars, it's not likely that faelings were around. How can you not know about fae if they're living in your midst?

So, I figure Ellindel found and healed the fae, and then a small number of wiccans got busy. There are also descendants of slaugh, who would have appeared about that time.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • Are poisoner's charms worth it? I plan to specialize in warrior and monk combat. In another MUD I come from... we generally already have this mechanic built-in and I plan to adapt my system with open-source M&M, which has a poison tracker when it is afflicting people.

Here's a tidbit of what the artifact does:

Artifact Ability:
    You gain a 30% chance to notice when someone is afflicted by a poison
    (aka when it comes up and they do not shrug it).

It generally costs 250cr as well...
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Get keen eye. That shows you when your poisons afflict. The charm shows other sources than yourself. Not that useful at a 30% chance imo.
  • Does anyone know the difference between the Shroud ability and the Stealth ability?

And if anyone owns one of those monocles for faster diagnosing and the ability to see people's defenses... how fast is the quicker diagnosing and is the ability to view an opponent's defense worth it?

• There is no difference. They function the same way, if I'm not wrong.

• Lerad said:
    There is no difference. They function the same way, if I'm not wrong.
    In another MUD. Shroud was used to hide general actions that can be seen in a room. Like... putting items in packs or taking gold out of letters. So sneak users still had a reason to have an artifact that gave a shroud ability if they wanted to be extra sneaky.
  • Is it normal for the Iron Membership to not renew?

I tried to go buy it again too, but it did not work.

• edited August 2015
    Bugs out sometimes. Msg/E-mail Estarra to force renew it for you.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Did anyone else catch anything where saxitin was changed to give pox?
  • Probably was put in back when they removed sunlight allergy, probably during the internal afflictions part of the overhaul. I have it noted in my poisons notes as being changed, so there should have been an announce somewhere in the overhaul news.

• So what's the point of sneak and shroud if you can see people with GMCP? Is there any other skills can bypass such detections?

In the other MUD I came from... we had a % chance of the person appearing on GMCP if they put up a type of awareness skill to check for hidden people. And if the person really wanted to be sneaky.. they went into a phase-mode similar to Serpentlords in Achaea to completely remove themselves from GMCP checks.
  • edited August 2015
    Shrouded people don't (or shouldn't) show up on GMCP.

EDIT: That is, unless you've got thirdeye and is looking in the room (and thus seeing them anyway).
  • edited August 2015
    Ssaliss said:
    Shrouded people don't (or shouldn't) show up on GMCP.

EDIT: That is, unless you've got thirdeye and is looking in the room (and thus seeing them anyway).
    I have both sneak and shroud up. I still appear on GMCP.

**EDIT**

Waaait....

Skinned from a massive beast, this garment is a trophy of the most skilled of hunters, not an inch
    of the skin pierced by arrow or sword. Tassles of feather and bone adorn each corner of the shroud,
    small tributes to the creatures slain to form them. The earthy tones of the piece have been chosen
    not only for their beauty, but also their function, and when the garment is wrapped around its
    wearer, the colours blend perfectly into one another to hide even the most fearsome of figures
    beneath it during their hunt.
    It weighs 3 ounce(s).
    It does not retain any heat whatsoever.
    It bears the distinctive mark of a large pile of sovereigns.
    It has the following aliases: shroud.

Perhaps I don't have the shroud ability up since it is registered under a large pile of sovereigns after I bought it. :(
  • edited August 2015
    Thirdeye looks through shroud/sneak, so if you have the thirdeye defense up, as Ssaliss says, you'll show up. I haven't played around with GMCP much, but I'm also pretty sure GMCP only updates when you ql. Finally, I'm not sure how exactly GMCP works as well, but it's possible your own self will always show up on GMCP, since, shrouded or not, you are always visible to yourself when you do WHO HERE. Other people without thirdeye probably shouldn't be able to see you via GMCP even if they look or use who here. If they do, you can probably bug it to get the coders to look into it.

All of the above, however, is actually besides the point of sneak/shroud. The point of sneak/shroud isn't to hide yourself from being visible. In Lusternia, pretty much everyone but newbies have thirdeye anyway. Seeing shrouded/sneaking people is a matter of fact.

Sneak/shroud, however, hides certain actions from being shown. I can't recall exactly what actions it hides, but I had the impression that it hides the third party message of writhing free from web or ropes, but I'm not too sure. It has combat implications for certain classes, but not all, of course.

Sneak/shroud also hides movement messages. So unless you have an unhidden mount or otherwise unmaksed creature/person following you, you won't leave a message when you enter or leave the room. I think it applies to gust as well, but I've never personally tested.

Lastly, sneaking is a pre-requisite for several Stealth abilities. If you don't have the defense up, or if it is stripped, you won't be able to use quite a few Stealth abilities.

• Lerad said:
    Thirdeye looks through shroud/sneak, so if you have the thirdeye defense up, as Ssaliss says, you'll show up. I haven't played around with GMCP much, but I'm also pretty sure GMCP only updates when you ql. Finally, I'm not sure how exactly GMCP works as well, but it's possible your own self will always show up on GMCP, since, shrouded or not, you are always visible to yourself when you do WHO HERE. Other people without thirdeye probably shouldn't be able to see you via GMCP even if they look or use who here. If they do, you can probably bug it to get the coders to look into it.

All of the above, however, is actually besides the point of sneak/shroud. The point of sneak/shroud isn't to hide yourself from being visible. In Lusternia, pretty much everyone but newbies have thirdeye anyway. Seeing shrouded/sneaking people is a matter of fact.

Sneak/shroud, however, hides certain actions from being shown. I can't recall exactly what actions it hides, but I had the impression that it hides the third party message of writhing free from web or ropes, but I'm not too sure. It has combat implications for certain classes, but not all, of course.

Sneak/shroud also hides movement messages. So unless you have an unhidden mount or otherwise unmaksed creature/person following you, you won't leave a message when you enter or leave the room. I think it applies to gust as well, but I've never personally tested.

Lastly, sneaking is a pre-requisite for several Stealth abilities. If you don't have the defense up, or if it is stripped, you won't be able to use quite a few Stealth abilities.
    it also updates whenever you enter rooms. There are many times where people who are shrouded/sneaking don't show up on my ql/look/who here messages, but they will show up on my gmcp list. Good to know that thirdeye is the ability that enables you to check for hidden/shrouded people. Sounds like the ability we used in the mud I came from to enhance the chances of checking hidden players.
  • what's GMCP ?

• AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Tylwyth said:
    what's GMCP ?
    GMCP is a communication method between the client and the game that is sort of silent. Allows people who are semi-fluent with scripting to skip parsing lines of text (which can be slow) and instead use the data provided by GMCP instead. Mudlet has support for that and things like m&m make use of it. See e. g. http://www.ironrealms.com/gmcp-tutorial-1
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.

• Aeldra said:
    Tylwyth said:
    what's GMCP ?
    GMCP is a communication method between the client and the game that is sort of silent. Allows people who are semi-fluent with scripting to skip parsing lines of text (which can be slow) and instead use the data provided by GMCP instead. Mudlet has support for that and things like m&m make use of it. See e. g. http://www.ironrealms.com/gmcp-tutorial-1
    Yeah, I'm thoroughly impressed by the amount of information available in Lusty's GMCP. Looking forward to playing around with it in greater detail. You can even get rid of prompts and have everything displayed through a GUI if you have the time and research. (Though playing without prompts is too weird for me)

• Edenwe said:
    Lerad said:

it also updates whenever you enter rooms. There are many times where people who are shrouded/sneaking don't show up on my ql/look/who here messages, but they will show up on my gmcp list. Good to know that thirdeye is the ability that enables you to check for hidden/shrouded people. Sounds like the ability we used in the mud I came from to enhance the chances of checking hidden players.
    When I looked at it right after its release, it didn't send the on-entry or on-exit messages if you were shrouded. If there are cases where they show up on GMCP but not on QL/who here, then I'd suggest BUGging it with as much details as possible.
  • Does we have weeks IG?
    And if so, do we have week days, like mondays, tuesdays, morrindays, sclurriousday, etc....

• RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Tylwyth said:
    Does we have weeks IG?
    And if so, do we have week days, like mondays, tuesdays, morrindays, sclurriousday, etc....

I would say no to both counts. There are 25 days in each month, but as far as I know they aren't divided into any sort of week system.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I've always imagined that what looks like fast fights and heated arguments look... really slow to regular denizens, who live shorter lives. 
  • Ergh, if I wanted to get my fiancee into Lusternia, would I still possibly be shrubbed for having two characters online under one IP? She was getting into it before, but we had to stop since I checked under the rules of seconds. Thing is, I really want her to get into it since she's been a big RP'er since the days of Deviantart and whatnot. We have two separate computers so we'll be logged onto different devices, just under the same internet.

I can prove that we live together and stuff, and she /does/ have income *cough cough she can buy credits* so I'm sure she would be a big player. I just don't want to log in one morning to find we've both been shrubbed >>

• Sedanas said:
    Ergh, if I wanted to get my fiancee into Lusternia, would I still possibly be shrubbed for having two characters online under one IP? She was getting into it before, but we had to stop since I checked under the rules of seconds. Thing is, I really want her to get into it since she's been a big RP'er since the days of Deviantart and whatnot. We have two separate computers so we'll be logged onto different devices, just under the same internet.

I can prove that we live together and stuff, and she /does/ have income *cough cough she can buy credits* so I'm sure she would be a big player. I just don't want to log in one morning to find we've both been shrubbed >>
    If you're that concerned about it, it's simple enough to either send an email or ISSUE ME Hi, my fiancee lives at the same house I do and will be playing lusternia with her characters registered under blah@email.blah 
    and then waltz on your merry way happily frolicking together in your playing of Lusternia.

The admin aren't going to be sitting there with baited breath waiting for someone to log on with a different email address and the same IP to gleefully push the shrub button while giggling maniacally. The rule's likely there to discourage people from thinking they are oh so clever by circumventing HELP SECONDS with a different email address.
  • Sedanas said:
    Ergh, if I wanted to get my fiancee into Lusternia, would I still possibly be shrubbed for having two characters online under one IP? She was getting into it before, but we had to stop since I checked under the rules of seconds. Thing is, I really want her to get into it since she's been a big RP'er since the days of Deviantart and whatnot. We have two separate computers so we'll be logged onto different devices, just under the same internet.

This is a pretty common scenario at Universities/Apartment complexes/people who play the game and inexplicably find each other in real life. You guys wouldn't be nearly the first people have the same IP, @Sedanas, and it's generally pretty easy to tell the difference between two people who live together and two characters played by the same person. 

As she said, admin aren't stalking anyone's account for excuses to kick them off- if there's no actual rule breaking, then there's no problem. Just register two different accounts, and don't play each other's character(s).
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."