Multiclass Proposal

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Anyways, don't we want to make it as easy as possible to maintain RP, without having to pay a premium for it? It seems like it's in the best interest of everyone to have the most RP preserving choice be the cheapest and easiest one! 
  • Estarra said:
    Oh, right, it's perfectly fine to jump guilds and learn skills. My thought was that if you want to stay in your guild and learn non-guild skills, it'd cost a premium but you get to keep your guild rank and RP, etc.
    I'm coming in very late on this conversation... so my opinions will matter very little to the grand discussion.

I can most reasonably anticipate that the Nekotai guild leaders will nearly block all incoming guild flex requests for players to try monk for PVP or PVE without embracing the cult mentality. Then again, there will be pressure for guild leaders to keep out Glom legacy players... I could see the org pressure to allow for top tier spenders / combatants to flex through each guild (while blocking most others) as a new status quo. 

Is that what we are striving for? Is this feature a true improvement on the game as is? Really guildflexing most likely will appeal only to top spenders and combatants. Rather, I would love to see guild flexing attached to arena battles and not to longstanding RP, PVP, PVE, "gotta catch them all" artie traditions. 

There was once another Mud who had a dedicated PVP telnet port where you could setup and play a variety of "arena" style pickup games. The hitch was that you could specify race/guild prior to the arena commencing. You would start top level / max skills. This feature seemed to satisfy both the PVP craze and wanting to try out new races/guild prior to making a long term commitment.

Imagine if this feature was imported to Lusternia. For a cost (i.e. credits, gold, lessons) ~ANY~ player could play test races/guilds within the confines of one arena match. I imagine a feature such as this could help better train lowbie to mid-ranged combatants learn the ins and outs of each guild-combat style and boost PVP combat on whole without tampering with RP or true guild mechanics.

Dunno. Just a last minute thought.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'm going to agree with janalon here. I don't personally feel comfortable with teaching someone outside of my guild(s) the skills without their devotion to my ideals and belief structure.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    I plan on giving out the ability to pick up Aquamancy like candy that I'm actually willing to share.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Aquawhore.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Shaddus said:
    Aquawhore.
    Look who's talking.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • edited November 2013
    My two comments.

Allowing players to easily switch back to their guilds class would help promote maintaining that class, this could be achieved by not putting a restriction on switching back while maintaining one on switching to any class other than your guild. This would be helpful to the druid guilds especially as it would mean people could classflex back if necessary for totems/saplings.

From a guild rp standpoint... I can't honestly see the Hartstone having much issue with its members classflexing into anything other than maybe Moondancers. Stag Warriors would be fine (possibly even popular which could encourage our envoy to look at ways to improve the stag skill for warriors) they've moved away from using magic to defend nature and are now defending it with more mundane powers, Spiritsingers would also be pretty fine, the music being just another way to commune with nature and the spirits, and the Shofangi... well again it's another way to defend nature. The Hartstone already have druids and non-druids (wildewood) in the grove, so more people of different paths just provide more ways to protect the natural world. The main issue I see would be the other guilds not wanting to share. Similarly, I could, at least, see some ease of accepting Moon Warriors into the coven. 

This is an amazing thing for guild rp because it means that people who are only in the guild for the skills can leave it, and people who are only not in the guild because of the skills can join it. It should mean that we can go back to the days of being tough on people leaving guilds, because realistically the only reasons that you'd leave a guild would be rp. So you wouldn't have people jumping from guild to guild every few months because they're bored of the class and the population would hopefully even out across guilds.

Oh, I would suggest, if it doesn't already exist, writing something in the code to allow progs to detect if a player has the ability to flex into a class. I could see possible guildhall expansions utilizing it, for example... The Moon Coven might say that the tower itself is only for those who are members of the Coven, but then they might seal it off and allow anyone who has the Moondancer class to enter the gardens and the parlour outside it (which is currently part of the hall)

EDIT: A minor addition to the comment about guild rp. This is a view point developed from being on the receiving end of people ranting and moaning that it is ridiculous and unfair to require them to learn the rp of the guild in order to get rank 3, that it is not fair to require combatants to engage in tasks unrelated to combat... These people can now leave if they don't like the rp of the guild. As above, the Researchers could go really strong in Scientician caste roleplay while the Sentinels could focus in on being the Ministry of Peace, crating people into the defenders of the collective. If someone wants to just be a Researcher combatant and not really engage in the scientist rp, the Institute could decide "I'm sorry, but you don't really belong here you can keep the abilities but you would serve the collective better elsewhere"
  • These absurdly high costs are just going to cause frustration amongst those people who would like to exercise this option but do not have the means to do so, leaving out what might possibly be a decent avenue of RP.

Personally, I feel that the mere fact a person is going to have to spend the best part of (at least) 900 credits is cost enough in itself.
  • I'm more than a bit disappointed. I'm not sure why I expected different, but these costs are just impossible for me to even think about trying. This has made an otherwise exciting aspect of the game into a vast expense to which 95% of the game isn't even going to be able to afford, regardless of the permission status of your guild.

If the entire game can't enjoy this opportunity, it doesn't make the game better. In fact, I could even argue there is just no point at all.

#TheRichGetRicher

"But paradise is locked and bolted...

We must make a journey around the world

to see if a back door has perhaps been left open."

-Heinrich Von Kleist, "On the Puppet Theater"

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited November 2013
    Because you can't freely switch back and forth between being a mage and being a warrior or whatever when you need to for a battle. That's something worth paying a premium for, as opposed to permanently switching guilds, which is always a hassle and needs people around to approve of (and also hairy RP).
  • edited February 2014

It'd be very easy to limit that without high costs, through hard coded switching limits and mechanics designed to slow down switching. 
  • I would much rather have it be limited to once every six IG months than have a heavy lesson cost, maybe allow the artifact users to do it once an IG month instead, similar to changeling?

Heavy costs are going to alienate players here, when the simple ability to have another class will instead draw in a LOT of interest, and credits from people who want to learn. I'd start learning skills right now, and trans Astrology again, if I could do it without a cost to jump between classes, even if I had to wait time-wise.
  • Likewise. If this was a feature right now, I'd be buying 1000cr within the hour, but given this extra cost? I will not even bother.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Would be cool to have the extra costs come in the form of time instead of lessons if the primary issue is ensuring that people don't switch too often.

We already have to jump through hoops by getting permission anyway.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    edited November 2013
    Sounds great.

Completely selfishly, I'd vote for 1x per game month, but even 5x per game year would be good enough too.
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    edited November 2013
    4 times per IG year makes more sense, it's once every 3 months/days then (or 6 to make it every 2).
  • edited November 2013
    Estarra, if you do that, sold. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat, no questions asked. Even if it IS just 3/4 times a game year (Though I'd say every one/two months would be a bit better, a sizable advantage over the non-artifacted). I'd definitely go ahead and do it.

Plus hey, I'd be picking up that artifact upgrade, no question about it. :)
  • I think this way you have a reasonable artifact, and the cost to switch classes isn't excessively high. It'll encourage people to try it out more freely, though I still can understand the concern over lessons being spent to switch like that. 
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    I'd be all over this like butter on bread if it goes through as the proposed design. There's a couple of skillsets I've wanted to try for some time and been unavailable to due to not wanting to leave the Ebonguard, but at the same time be able to achieve certain goals.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Might as well just let the artifact do every month. The benefit it provides should be worth the upgrade cost from the cord- and I think that plus the extra flex lessons will do it.

Unless you are still leaving in the transfer costs? Removing that was another of the benefits of the arty idea.

Maybe it would help to just summarize where the full idea stands at this point.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Neos said:
    @Lerad Guild score can't be used on demigods or even other guild leaders.
    You can still GUILD SKILLS them, though, which is where I assume you'd be looking for people that are classflexed.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Yes, I'd still plan to leave the transfer cost at 200/100 lessons.
    Oh, I was thinking you meant all extra lessons. The extra learning lessons going away is a good step, though.
  • Overall I’m pretty disappointed with the direction this went, believing instead it would have been better to have a multi-guilding system to allow players to help pick up the slack in low pop guilds.

This system seems more designed from the power player’s stance, then from helping grow the playerbase or providing value/coverage for orgs (it should provide some minor boost for both but doesn’t seem like it’ll lead to players stampeding to play Lusternia).

For example, one flaw in Lusternia’s design is a near insistence on melders for group combat. This system, really wouldn’t elegantly address that, since it is one thing to take on a role to help someone and quite the other to get suck in that role for depending on how the chord works and how much you’ve used it, for RL days.

So for myself, I would have much rather seen the ability to join multiple guilds within the same organization along with a system like activating which skillset you use at your org’s nexus.

Disclamer, being an artifact whore, I would probably adopt any system, but my preference would be a system that would help build the playerbase and give some value to even casual players.

• edited November 2013
    I don't want to dwell too much on the negatives of a guild-flex artie, as the idea has some mass appeal and early coding. Rather, I would love to advocate for an alternate/complimentary race/guild flex that is limited to one arena event for a hefty gold charge.  I feel that such a feature could better serve the player base at large for the following reasons:

• Help lowbie and midbie PVP'ers learn various aspects of combat
    • Help Envoys better understand guild skills from the 1st person
    • Allow all players to playtest race/guild prior to guild hopping/flexing
    • Steadily drain gold savings over a continuous period of time
    Steingrim said:

For example, one flaw in Lusternia’s design is a near insistence on melders for group combat. This system, really wouldn’t elegantly address that, since it is one thing to take on a role to help someone and quite the other to get suck in that role for depending on how the chord works and how much you’ve used it, for RL days.

I agree with your statements, but this is a huge point that will hopefully be addressed in the overhaul. A lot of people in my guild are just there because someone has to do it, not necessarily because they give two hoots about the RP, or even because they like the skills (most tend to emphatically not). Having the option to even partially outsource this burden to the rest of the commune would be a huge relief, even if we never actually use it.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    edited November 2013
    Enyalida said:
    Steingrim said:

I agree with your statements, but this is a huge point that will hopefully be addressed in the overhaul. A lot of people in my guild are just there because someone has to do it, not necessarily because they give two hoots about the RP, or even because they like the skills (most tend to emphatically not). Having the option to even partially outsource this burden to the rest of the commune would be a huge relief, even if we never actually use it.

Yus, people like me that actually enjoy melding are scarce... and crazy.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • edited November 2013
    Ick. I had rethought posting and didn't plan on posting this.