Curio rub tweak suggestion.

2»

Comments

• No, it requires luck. I was lucky enough to complete my set quite early on, but I've not really stopped grinding them (save for a few months), but I've noticed that the pieces you get even if you continually grind them, can end up with you stuck waiting on one or two pieces for an eternity. Completing quest curios is really really really unhealthy for people with OCD - if you don't know when to sit back and take a break, you will likely end up driving yourself into a breakdown, much like gambling.

• Morkarion said:
    The vernal collection has a series of really easy repeat spammable quests, it's simple to achieve it just requires time investment. Some people actually enjoy spirit crushing grindfests.
    Yes. I know. I've been doing them over and over and over and I'm still lacking the Incandescent Bracers.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Kiradawea said:
    Morkarion said:
    The vernal collection has a series of really easy repeat spammable quests, it's simple to achieve it just requires time investment. Some people actually enjoy spirit crushing grindfests.
    Yes. I know. I've been doing them over and over and over and I'm still lacking the Incandescent Bracers.
    I swear I'm completely backwards in that problem, that was my first rare. I accidentally rubbed it once, and got it again. The other 3 are part of the 8 pieces I lack from a full set.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Kiradawea said:
    Steingrim said:
    Uruk said:
    Would it be possible to have the chance for a curio to rub into the same set be a little higher? -Especially- for the quest only curios?

Right now it seems like there is only around a 20% chance for a curio to rub into another curio.... Considering some of them take 3-4 hours to attain (I'm looking at you, Soulless bits) it really feels crappy to have it rub into something random like a cog piece 80% of the time.
    The problem with changing it too much to the same set is then you wind up locked into that set. That was the rational behind maybe two commands, use one where you hope you get a different collection and one where you hope to get the same collection. But you have to be careful about making it too easy to finish quest curios.

P.S. I don't know that the chance of same collection vs different is, but if anything it seems more weighted to the same collection currently.
    I've been trying to finish the Vernal Collection for a year. Tell me how it's "too easy".
    Where do you get 'easy' from what you quoted?
  • Steingrim said:
    Kiradawea said:
    Steingrim said:
    Uruk said:
    Would it be possible to have the chance for a curio to rub into the same set be a little higher? -Especially- for the quest only curios?

Right now it seems like there is only around a 20% chance for a curio to rub into another curio.... Considering some of them take 3-4 hours to attain (I'm looking at you, Soulless bits) it really feels crappy to have it rub into something random like a cog piece 80% of the time.
    The problem with changing it too much to the same set is then you wind up locked into that set. That was the rational behind maybe two commands, use one where you hope you get a different collection and one where you hope to get the same collection. But you have to be careful about making it too easy to finish quest curios.

P.S. I don't know that the chance of same collection vs different is, but if anything it seems more weighted to the same collection currently.
    I've been trying to finish the Vernal Collection for a year. Tell me how it's "too easy".
    Where do you get 'easy' from what you quoted?
    Emphasis mine, words yours.
  • edited December 2013
    Steingrim was saying that changes to curio rubbing (which might include being able to reliably get another curio from the same set) could make quest curios too easy to complete, not that it's currently too easy.
    Talking about changes bringing a risk of something becoming too easy != something is currently easy.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• edited December 2013
    Morkarion said:
    I feel like this is a reference to me...

Edit: I feel like a huge masochist for deciding to tackle the Soulless set after completing my Vernal... This side is -soo- much harder to get pieces for. (Not that Vernal is too super easy.)
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I completed my Vernal set pretty easily. I paid one person 75 credits per for three completed curios, and one person a larger amount for the last completed curio. BAM, complete set.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Uruk said:
    Morkarion said:
    I feel like this is a reference to me...

Edit: I feel like a huge masochist for deciding to tackle the Soulless set after completing my Vernal... This side is -soo- much harder to get pieces for. (Not that Vernal is too super easy.)
    I was actually relating to a few people, notably you and Xenthos though.

And yes, bubbles on Lirangsha will make you hate yourself.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I just wrote a script for bubble pushing, it was not so bad then.

Enter "pbubble dir" and it automatically turns the bubble until it is facing that way and then pushes it.

I learned long ago in these quests that manually turning things is a huge hassle. It does not seem as if it should be, but it is just an added bit of drudgery on every single push (til by turning, turning we come round right).
  • Xenthos said:
    I just wrote a script for bubble pushing, it was not so bad then. Enter "pbubble dir" and it automatically turns the bubble until it is facing that way and then pushes it. I learned long ago in these quests that manually turning things is a huge hassle. It does not seem as if it should be, but it is just an added bit of drudgery on every single push (til by turning, turning we come round right).
    I wrote something similar... bturn <dir>. I think he meant the constant popping though. I got trolled by one that started on the S corner and eventually ended up making its way to the NE corner :|

At least the Soulless ones popping isn't so bad.... Doing the Vernal side though *shudder*
  • Yeah, I don't think 'jokers' or wild cards would work. However, maybe if there was a way to complete a partial with credits? For example, for every empty slot in a partial, you could complete it at a cost of 100cr per empty slot. Partials need a minimum of 2 curios to complete, so you could then conceivably spend 800cr to complete the curio (though doubt anyone would do that). However, if you have just one slot free, it may be worth the 100cr to complete? I haven't really thought it through but basically I'm thinking the main way to complete a piece should still be through collecting but perhaps an expensive shortcut may not be a bad idea.
    If rares are included, that'd get used a fair bit.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I don't think it would be worth 100 credits, though the value definitely depends on the type.
  • edited December 2013
    I think I'd be willing to pay more in the vein of 25-50 credits for it. Paying $40 for the last bit I'd need is a bit much. (I'm sure most would agree.)

Edit: That said, if it was offered at a lower price I'd likely be using it somewhat soon.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Last time I suggested something along these lines, I believe I had a scaling cost. Charge something like 25cr if missing one piece, 50 if two, 100 if three (then could carry that on to 200 if 4, doubling for each missing piece).

This encourages trying to get as many as possible but does give an out if you are down to that one last elusive piece. Trading is still important because spending even 50 credits extra (on top of what was spent for the initial pieces) is unlikely (though of course some curios are more desirable than others).
  • Xenthos said:
    Last time I suggested something along these lines, I believe I had a scaling cost. Charge something like 25cr if missing one piece, 50 if two, 100 if three (then could carry that on to 200 if 4, doubling for each missing piece). This encourages trying to get as many as possible but does give an out if you are down to that one last elusive piece. Trading is still important because spending even 50 credits extra (on top of what was spent for the initial pieces) is unlikely (though of course some curios are more desirable than others).
    That honestly sounds like a really good idea. Reasonable for people that actually attempt to collect the whole thing but just can't quite manage to get that last bit or two but with a big enough profit margin for someone that wants to just pay outright for the full thing.
  • I'm good for 50cr a piece. >_>
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Yeah, I'm not down with 100 credits per piece, but 25-50 might be doable.

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Also, currently for either the Vernal or Soulless curios if you rub them and they become a random bit there is 0 chance for them to revert back into a Vernal or Soulless curio. Is there any chance that they could have flags set that would allow them to randomly roll back into the quest pieces? Once again, this would -only- apply to pieces that originally came from the quest set and only for whatever it's specific type was. (ie. Vernal to Vernal or Soulless to Soulless.)
  • The exponential increase in price sounds like a wonderful idea to me. If not, then the 25-50 credits for a piece sounds good to me.

Keep in mind that a single random curio costs 3 credits. I don't think a guaranteed piece that you need is worth 33 pieces. 30 credits sound good to me, but if I was really desperate, I might be convinced to pay 50.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited December 2013
    Agree with the exponential increase.  Prevents abuse at the higher end of the scale while also letting people who are missing that one piece they have been trying to get for MONTHS finally complete it.

Perhaps go 25/50/100/175/275/400/550/725/900 to complete with 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8 pieces that you do not have.  (so basically every extra piece requires the cost of the last piece + an extra 25 credits)

That or simply make it that you need to have an incomplete curio with a reasonable number of pieces (say 6 or 7 minimum)
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
    The only problem I see with this is rares, with the exception of everything but bottle curios they're suppose to be significantly more grind-y to get.

If you could buy every rare in your set for 25cr each, a lot of the work into completing said set just got thrown out the window.

• It's only with quest curios that rares are "grindy", with there being around a 1% chance for a particular rare. As is, there's no credit sink for them anyway.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Being able to rub for coins could help fluff the trading market a bit, ehhheheh.

:-\"
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."