State of Conflict

Comments

• One good example of the way that having too many allies checks one's ability to grief everyone else.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    To be fair, the only reason I haven't done one of the ones on that list, is because I don't know how.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• edited February 2014
    Talan said:
    One good example of the way that having too many allies checks one's ability to grief everyone else.
    Pretty much yeah. Soulforge attacks all cities except for the one that raised it, so unless you're in a city allied with Seren and Glom and do it, you will be hurting your allies, and people generally don't like to rock the boat.

Likewise, hai'gloh/Xion requires the forests/Celest and Mag to work together. They're unlikely to be done, not because of social stigma where your org will shun you for doing it (unless you happen to be Everiine), but because they require cooperation between orgs in different alliances. Though requiring you to kill supermobs also factors into that.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    edited February 2014
    To be fair, no one's actually sure it hits all the cities are they? IIRC no one's raised it since Gaudi/Halli got added.

Part of the reason I want to raise it is to find out, also you can quickly recover their power losses.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Was stated by admin that they hit all nexii with a direct connection to Astral. Also that it'll start doing *something* if it goes on for long enough, but no one is gonna let it remain up for long.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Serenwilde bans quests AND has the stupid law that says, "Don't do anything that would involve the organization in conflict", which amounts to the Moonhart Circle putting a blanket ban on any action they think could be an inconvenience.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Morkarion said:
    To be fair, no one's actually sure it hits all the cities are they? IIRC no one's raised it since Gaudi/Halli got added.

Part of the reason I want to raise it is to find out, also you can quickly recover their power losses.
    Soulforge hits Gaudi and Hallifax. It's been done before.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • edited February 2014
    I missed Ushaara's wildnodes suggestion. I like it, but I would also like to see wildnodes removed.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Everiine said:
    Serenwilde bans quests AND has the stupid law that says, "Don't do anything that would involve the organization in conflict", which amounts to the Moonhart Circle putting a blanket ban on any action they think could be an inconvenience.
    Put in because some jokers would go out to stir up trouble (like asking allies to go ahead and chop down our moonhart trees, to provoke war), and then point to the Leaves and go "It's not against the leaves, it's not against the leaves". :(
  • In which case you PK them a few times and uncitizen them, not add more laws.

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Having seen Serenwilde through the eyes of a suicided alt, I think they'd benefit from using their executioner mob a lot more.  Bransomething?
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Bandrui! Yes yes yes yesssss.

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Daevos said:
    In compensation for this, the benefits from village should be re-assessed. Additions to the game have made them largely obsolete.

Manse comm generators have gotten out of hand, yeah. Some manses out there can outproduce half of the Basin's villages (and almost all of such manses are owned by one side of the conflict here).

That aside, what benefits are we actually looking for these days? What would make people care at this point?

We'll take domoths for example. Your rewards for those are power and blessings of various sorts. Almost all of the blessings that don't affect combat/PVE will only affect other forms of power generation/retention (ie, dross increase, bards/scholars, etc.).

There's already tons of ways to get power. Power's only really good for fighting and raising more VAs (eventually).

Now look at the absolve mechanics. Absolve heavily favours whoever is absolving, given that the ones getting absolved not only need to keep killing their opponents, but keep them off of the throne constantly. If they feel like trying to lock down early, they also can potentially just mono and GPENT the entrance through the Veil, too.

Then there's the rules that martial whether you can absolve or not. Demi must be a level over VA, VA must be a level over TA if that TA bears the seal for that domoth. Nothing stops VA from absolving VA at the same level (pretty sure).

Absolve really isn't a fun mechanic. It strips away hours of effort pretty simply and easily, and will always favour the side that has more. So if one side decides they don't care that much for fighting constantly, over and over, and the other has all the TAs and more active VAs, why should there be any shock that there is virtually no domoth contention?

We can try to guerrilla through it, but at some point, we will be subject to absolve, and it is absolve or be absolved. Especially true if the other side wants to go out of their way to ensure you have absolutely nothing, and cares about this more than having more of everything else for themselves.

The last few days, pretty much all my time's gone into domoths when I am logged in, and it is pretty draining. And we've only been trying to keep two! Imaging constant and perpetual conflict over all the domoths just feels ridiculous and utterly exhausting. This only gets worse as the pbase get themselves better jobs and have less time for the game.

Absolve does have a good purpose, but it's too easy to apply for the people with everything already. It's not fun.

Also, I've been hearing some funny rumours about destruction, such as:

1.) Holding the War Domoth Throne means your destruction does more damage.
    2.) The more personal essence you possess, the more damage your destruction does.

If these do, in fact, exist... why? Please delete them today and be done with it. Destruction is good enough without stupid undocumented buffs out the wazoo.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited February 2014
    All Domoths give a buff to a power when held.  Don't think the essence one has any weight, but yes, holding War does give a buff to Destruction.  Holding Nature gives a buff to Affinity (I believe).  Death gives a buff to FearAura (it ticks faster), and so on.

Edit: Holding Justice also gives you some damage reduction on Aegis, because Aegis isn't good enough I guess? :o
    Xenthos said:
    All Domoths give a buff to a power when held.  Don't think the essence one has any weight, but yes, holding War does give a buff to Destruction.  Holding Nature gives a buff to Affinity (I believe).  Death gives a buff to FearAura (it ticks faster), and so on.

Edit: Holding Justice also gives you some damage reduction on Aegis, because Aegis isn't good enough I guess? :o
    All need proper documentation, at the least.
  • I am the Archmage of the Aquamancers, and I have NO idea what most of the stuff around the guildhall is for.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
    Vivet said:
    Xenthos said:

Already done. Iosai spoke with me about this when we were testing whip damage a while back which is where I learned about Destruction getting boosted from holding War. I noted there was no way of players finding this out, so it was added to the POWERS INFO tooltips of the various abilities that are affected by their responding domoths.

The essence rumour is false though.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Tridemon said:
    I am the Archmage of the Aquamancers, and I have NO idea what most of the stuff around the guildhall is for.
    The statue of Forren is for grovelling.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I think the essence rumor about destruction came about when destruction damage was based on your skill level in ascendance. Since ascendance isn't even around anymore, that may be the confusion.

Ascendance was learned by spending personal essence, so I think that's where that came from. The point is, that's not true and people shouldn't keep bringing it up or soon it'll be the whole 'shadows prevent all forms of Regen' all over again

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Thalkros said:

Rant aside, this isn't really a dig at how 'suxor' the C/S/H alliance is, I'm just pointing out that the people in Gaudi, Glom, and Mag who pk, play to win. No matter what, they play to win and that is their mentality. If your org doesn't have these kind of people, no changes whatsoever to conflict mechanics, skills, or alliances will ever be the cornerstone to your new rise to glory. Where there is a will, there will always be a way, plain and simple.
    .. yeah, can't really deny that. This is further perpetuated by the fact that the Play To Win types will cluster, since the similar attitudes create affinity between them, and really, failing to do so would not be Playing To Win in the first place.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    edited February 2014
    Morkarion said:
    Vivet said:
    Xenthos said:

Already done. Iosai spoke with me about this when we were testing whip damage a while back which is where I learned about Destruction getting boosted from holding War. I noted there was no way of players finding this out, so it was added to the POWERS INFO tooltips of the various abilities that are affected by their responding domoths.

Can't find anything listed under any of the Chaos powers about holding the domotheos and getting buffs, so clearly it's not documented... or Chaos doesn't get a buff, which although Chaos powers are pretty 'meh' to begin with is also a bit entertaining, because that means that we have a disparity right there.

EDIT: In my opinion, any kind of buff shouldn't need to be hunted down or guessed at. Truthfully, the best place for this kind of information would be under HELP DOMOTH BLESSINGS. Something along the lines of: "Holding this domotheos gives the following benefit to power x: Whatever benefit there is"

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    edited February 2014
    Elanorwen said:

Morkarion said:

Vivet said:

Xenthos said:

Can't find anything listed under any of the Chaos powers about holding the domotheos and getting buffs, so clearly it's not documented... or Chaos doesn't get a buff, which although Chaos powers are pretty 'meh' to begin with is also a bit entertaining, because that means that we have a disparity right there.

EDIT: In my opinion, any kind of buff shouldn't need to be hunted down or guessed at. Truthfully, the best place for this kind of information would be under HELP DOMOTH BLESSINGS. Something along the lines of: "Holding this domotheos gives the following benefit to power x: Whatever benefit there is"

What does that matter? I think the domoth powers buffs are also relics of ascendance, and that getting said I bet harmony doesn't have one either, because it used to be an omniscience boost

Point is, who cares? One person getting a boost on one power, that they need to have active anyway isn't going to make or break either side, far bigger fish to fry

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    If it's a relic from a time gone and should no longer apply, then they should all be removed. That's what matters. As to who cares... apparently, I do. Of course, we'll be hearing claims about how I don't matter or how I complain about things that aren't in my favor, etc, etc... well, if it's not that big a deal, why did War get passed on to Morkarion? I'm guessing because it is, in fact, a big deal.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    what's silly is thinking those buffs are the reason you win/lose. Did i give war to Mork So he could benefit? Yes, every little bit helps. Will it be the sole reason he wins? No, not at all, and is quite silly to focus on this one issue as really being this big of a deal. Sure, put it on HELP DOMOTH BLESSING. that's fine or remove them, that's fine too, because when it comes down to it, they don't make a big difference.

But hey, that's totally the reason for the current state of conflict, amirite?

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • edited February 2014
    The fact that you refute the idea that fair knowledge of the playing field is at all appropriate is pretty indicative of the state of conflict in this game.

Edited for cursing!
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!