What are you playing?

Comments

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    FF9 was so underrated. 

Though I ran Zidane, Vivi, Eiko, Freya
  • edited February 2016
    Cid, Cloud, and Vincent for this guy. Cid was my favorite though. SIT DOWN AND DRINK YOUR @#$%#^$%^ TEA!

Speaking of FF9, it's coming to PC. I'm kind of excited for it as well as it has been years since I've touched the game. I know a lot of people who say that 9 is their favorite.

Zidane, Eiko, Freya, and Vivi for me as well.
    IT IS?! *high pitched squealing*
  • edited February 2016
    Celina said:
    IT IS?! *high pitched squealing*
    Sure is. Hopefully Square does a good job of porting it. They generally do with the older ones though.

I know 10 gets a lot of hate, but I really enjoyed 10. Auron was just such an old man badass. We don't talk about 10-2. And, despite the criticisms that he gets, I was kind of glad for Tidus. I was just glad that ONE PROTAGONIST WASN'T AN EMO SACK OF ANGST. Granted, neither was Zidane. My favorite Final Fantasy will always have to be tactics though. Tactics' story was so well done and the War of the Lions remake was just so well done in every way and one of the two reasons I got a PSP in the first place. The other reason was Dissidia, which also has a new version in arcades that may POSSIBLY come to the states for consoles.

Edit: Also, wtb Vagrant Story sequel. "Where are the reinforcements?" "I am the reinforcements."
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Blitzball is the best mini game ever. Except maybe for Super Chocobo Eugenics Fun!
  • Celina said:
    FF9 was so underrated. 

Though I ran Zidane, Vivi, Eiko, Freya
    I can see that working, though I preferred the guaranteed beatstickiness of Steiner to the more general all-rounder of Freya, especially since by endgame I had auto-regen on all my characters. Thinking about it though, I want to go back and take the time to turn Quina into the beast s/he was meant to be.
  • edited February 2016
    Tarkenton said:
    Blitzball is the best mini game ever. Except maybe for Super Chocobo Eugenics Fun!
    Blitzball was really fun, yeah. Chocobo Eugenics was amazingly fun.

Edit: Gold Saucer in general was fun. I'd spend hours there.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I ran Zidane, Vivi, Eiko, Garnet.

Because fuck being below 3/4ths health ever, and if Garnet isn't doing anything better, she can summon to beat face in.
    Quina is in the same stupid bucket as Cait Sith. Weird fat ambiguous animal things that I refuse to play. I don't know why the developers insist on putting random freaks in the game.

Also Freya's trance was badass. Invulnerability while you hail spears from the sky was awesome. 
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    I've somehow never played FF. I never know where to start. :|
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    Sabin, Locke, Celes, Shadow
  • Sylandra said:
    It's debatable. A lot of people will say that 7 should be your first one, which would probably be a good place to start as it is largely vaulted as "the classic". I'd usually say FF6 or FF7 is a good place to start. FF6 is vastly under-appreciated because it's overshadowed by 7. Kefka was definitely an amazing villain however. Though, 6 was fairly hard for folks, so I'd say start with FF7.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    That trance is badass, I'll grant. 

Theoretically, Cait Sith is the cat on the moogle doll, not the moogle doll itself. It doesn't really come up much in the original game though. Does in Dirge, but we don't talk about that mess.

Quina, Amaranth, and Vaan all had the same problem. "Why exactly are you in this story?"
    Ugh Amaranth. Aside from looking like a gorilla man with a weird hair helmet, his trance was bad. What do you mean I have to buy shit for you to throw at people?!

Steiner was better than Freya in general, I just thought Freya was infinitely cooler than a guy in rusted armor. The whole Clerya part of the story was fantastic.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Sylandra said:
    My first was 10, and I still super love it. It has characters with pretty nicely defined roles, turn-based but fast-paced battle system, it's easy to swap party members in and out of battle depending on your needs, you get a big cat fella in your party who also happens to be a Blue Mage, highly customizable armor and weapons, and a mostly cohesive story with some neat twists.  :x
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Sylandra said:
    Each of the games has a completely stand-alone story and can be picked up and enjoyed independent of the others. That said, as someone who got their first taste of RPGs from final fantasy games and have followed them religiously up until recently, 10 is a great place to start. One of its main purposes was to introduce a new generation of gamers to FF, so everything is streamlined and somewhat simplified from other entries while still being challenging. Plus whatever Daraius said.

Or you could jump immediately into FFIX which is the absolute best (#TeamBeatrice)
    edited February 2016
    FF10 was good, I was a huge fan of bondage ego girl Lulu. 

They all play differently so it's hard to give a starting point. 

I've liked 7, 9, 10, and 12. 

8 has a terrible magic system, don't start with 8. I wasn't a fan of 13 either. 
  • Only ones I've played are 10, which I really enjoyed and 13, which I never got into. I know that 13 gets better later on but when your game consists of long, glorified corridors, cut scenes and almost no real interaction with the world for the first few hours you've probably messed up the formula somewhere.
  • mobile suit gundam online

zeon always loses but i'm masochistic i guess
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    FF VI is decent too. It had one of the better stories and the BEST villain in the series, barring the side games. (Him, then Kuja from IX, then Palamecia from II)
    I love Kefka.
    edited February 2016
    I liked Kuja's personality, but his wardrobe was eeuuuggh. Villains are much less ominious when you put them in jockstraps.

Maybe he's some sort of feminist vengeance for the gaming community putting women in awkward clothes for so long. We got jockstrap monkeyboy to make up for Boobs Lockheart. 
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    edited February 2016
    That was an out-and-out thong. It got better|worse when he Tranced.
  • And imagine...he was somehow hiding his tail inside that thong o_O
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I was assuming he did the saiyan thing and wrapped it around or had it tucked up under that skirt thing.
  • Tarkenton said:
    Sabin, Locke, Celes, Shadow
    Shadow was fairly useless late game, I felt. I would've put Terra and her sweet, sweet magic domination in instead. Alternatively, I always had fun with the sketch girl (can't remember her name). She was weak as hell, but damn, was it fun to control enemies and make them beat each other up. So satisfying.

Shadow had excellent stats. High to medium high everything. Throw was worthless, sure. I also liked Umaro and Gogo.Honestly, the whole cast was good.
  • Gogo and Terra make a team by themselves. Earliest, and cheapest, quadra 9999s in the game. Of course, I say earliest, but you get Gogo like in the last hour of the game, so...

But yeah, the best 17 FF characters ever were in that game.

I mean, the opera house. Such an amazing scene.