What are you playing?

Comments

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    This is the most Final Fantasy nerding I've seen in ages. Which means I naturally can't resist saying more.

While a lot of people here seem to have started with 10, that was my last. I went through 4 to 10, and 4 and 6 will probably always carry the most weight with me simply because they were some of the first RPGs I played, period (back when they were on the SNES and were II and III respectively).

VI was kind of hilarious because once you learned the game well, you could break it so bad. You just need to get through the early game while gaining little to no exp, then when you get your first batch of espers you can start abusing the +stat level bonuses (most notably on Bismarck). If you were good enough, you could hold off leveling even longer than that so that the base level of new recruits wouldn't be too high (and lose out on stat boosting potential). There was really no bad character because any amount of prudent investment would let you build them up into a menace.

Even then, it still wasn't as laughably broken as VIII.

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Junction > Status attack > Death > 100
    Junction > Elemental Defense > Ultima > 100
    Junction > Elemental Defense > Shell > 100

Mid-late game, when things start being immune to death status, switch out for
    Junction > Status Attack > Meltdown > 100
    Junction > Strength > Ultima > 100
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I never made it far into 8. Gah, I just hated the magic system. 

I also have a strong aversion to forced awkward character changes. The whole arc where you have to run around as soldiers got on my nerves. 
  • I was replaying Skyward Sword and Breath of Fire II but.. school. Week and a half to my study break though (and soon Twilight Princess HD)!

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• 8 started out good... and then Sorceresses got involved and it went to crap.

As @Vivet said, 6 is so hilariously broken. Terra and Gogo were both ridiculous to the extreme but I loved the game and the story. 7 is still considered the "classic". 9, to many people, is the best "fantasy" Final Fantasy. 4 is pretty good too with Kain and Cecil, but a bit dated by now. Granted, so is 6. 7 has aged relatively well and has the HD remake coming down the pipe.

I always loved 10 and I liked 12. A few players from Aetolia really love 12. Balthier remains one of my favorite characters, as does Gabranth.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I really wish FF XII had leaned more heavily on its FF Tactics Advance Ivalice setting. The concept of judges changing the tide of battle with their rulings was so cool to me as a feature of the world, rather than just a game mechanic. Bummer most of the party were boring humes in such a racially diverse world. But +1 to Balthier being the best leading man. Only thing that would have made him better is if he'd been a bangaa. ;))
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited February 2016
    Do we need a Final Fantasy nerd out thread? I kinda regret derailing this one, but I just love all these opinions and feelings about our shared experiences.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Lets make a Final Fantasy thread (and I would totally love to join in that Mafia!)

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

Only if Darius is forced to be Boobs Lockheart
  • edited February 2016
    It was only now that I figured out who "Boobs Lockheart" was referring to  :(

Which was the Final Fantasy where the team was Jpop singers or something and changing outfits changed your attack?
    Yes. We don't talk about it

• Kaalak said:

Which was the Final Fantasy where the team was Jpop singers or something and changing outfits changed your attack?

We don't mention that monstrosity around these parts.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Kaalak said:

X-2. Like Celina said: 

Celina said:
    We don't talk about it

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    As long as Ramza Belouve is agreed upon as the best, then I am ok with a final fantasy thread. (Zidane and Vivi as 2 and 3)
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • Finally got around to playing Bloodborne. I love the setting far more than a lot of the Souls games. Music is on point and I absolutely love games that properly utilize dark fantasy, mythos, and occult creatures.
  • Nienla said:
    Finally got around to playing Bloodborne. I love the setting far more than a lot of the Souls games. Music is on point and I absolutely love games that properly utilize dark fantasy, mythos, and occult creatures.
    \(T)/ PRAISE THE SUN \(T)/
  • Fallout 4.
    I started to play because I had homeworks to do...
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Nienla said:
    Finally got around to playing Bloodborne. I love the setting far more than a lot of the Souls games. Music is on point and I absolutely love games that properly utilize dark fantasy, mythos, and occult creatures.

Wait til you uncover the real story and the lore behind it. So amazing.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• Speaking of. Dark Souls III soon. Take on those Lords of Cinder.
  • One of the things that really impressed me about Bloodborne is how relevant small details are. At some point, you will find barrels full of eyes. Sounds creepy by itself, until you realize how that fits into the overarching theme and what they are trying to accomplish with those eyes. That revelation is tremendous.
  • I got to a point in Dark Souls I where I was, dare I say it, 'comfortable'. I had just cleared Anor Londo, I was a Forest Guardian, and I was having fun randomly dueling people in the Woods. The thought of actually progressing in the plot was disquieting enough that I stopped playing rather than advance :/
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Krackenor said:
    I got to a point in Dark Souls I where I was, dare I say it, 'comfortable'. I had just cleared Anor Londo, I was a Forest Guardian, and I was having fun randomly dueling people in the Woods. The thought of actually progressing in the plot was disquieting enough that I stopped playing rather than advance :/
    Everything after Anor Londo isn't as good anyway. I usually get the Lordvessel and Darkwraith/Red Eye Orb, then stop progressing unless the build I'm doing for that character requires me to get stuff further in. 

I urge you to go the whole way through at least once, though! I regret that this technically means I'm recommending you play through Lost Izalith, but that's a necessary step towards getting to the end. :( Stupid Bed of Chaos. Stupid Solaire. Stupid Siegmeyer. Stupid eye-burning lava. Stupid icky Centipede Demon. Grumble grumble.

• Phoebus said:
    Krackenor said:
    I got to a point in Dark Souls I where I was, dare I say it, 'comfortable'. I had just cleared Anor Londo, I was a Forest Guardian, and I was having fun randomly dueling people in the Woods. The thought of actually progressing in the plot was disquieting enough that I stopped playing rather than advance :/
    Everything after Anor Londo isn't as good anyway. I usually get the Lordvessel and Darkwraith/Red Eye Orb, then stop progressing unless the build I'm doing for that character requires me to get stuff further in. 

I urge you to go the whole way through at least once, though! I regret that this technically means I'm recommending you play through Lost Izalith, but that's a necessary step towards getting to the end. :( Stupid Bed of Chaos. Stupid Solaire. Stupid Siegmeyer. Stupid eye-burning lava. Stupid icky Centipede Demon. Grumble grumble.
    Can't I just Let's Play it :(
  • I liked DS1 a lot more than DS2 because of how interconnected all the areas of DS1 were and how DS2 is 'you have four directions and they all end. go.'
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Krackenor said:

Phoebus said:
    Krackenor said:

Can't I just Let's Play it :(
    It's not the same!
  • But demooooooons :(
  • Yeah. I beat Bloodborne. Was pretty good. Silly Moon Presence.
  • I loved Lost Izalith. It was by far my favourite of the final areas. The one I loathed the most would be the Tomb of Giants. Screw that darkness.

Anyway, right now I'm playing Ori and the Blind Forest. Ori is adorable, and this is scratching the Metroidvania itch I've been missing for so long. It's been so long since I last played a great Metroidvania game.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.