Help Files/Documentation

Comments

• What if I do want ants?

• edited November 2015
    The two helpfile suggestion threads have now been merged because someone (read: me) did not realise there was already one in existence...despite it being pinned. Oops! Please use here for all your requests from now on.

In more exciting news, there is now a HELP COOKING CURIOS and HELP HONOURS QUESTS has undergone a major (though not total) update to include as many quests as possible.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Would it be possible to have a HELP OVERHAUL ARTIFACTS if there isn't already one I'm just not seeing?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Could we add the drunk artifacts (I think there are 2) to the HELP DRUNK scroll? Would make it easier to know what we are looking for exactly if we want to influence drunk attributes.
  • Arcanis said:
    Could we add the drunk artifacts (I think there are 2) to the HELP DRUNK scroll? Would make it easier to know what we are looking for exactly if we want to influence drunk attributes.
    Done.

With regards to artifacts: the existing artifact helpfiles will be updated as and when the artifacts being sold change over. If you notice some are missing, please HELPBUG it - though, please don't bug it the very moment we announce a change. We most likely haven't forgotten and it's just that the people who cares for helpfiles aren't online. Give us a day or two to get to it! And then by all means please remind us with a bug.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    The current HELP OVERHAUL documents should probably be deleted or repurposed.
  • could we get a small addition to HELP PACKS made that would mention what are artifact packs, their names, and the general bonuses you get with them (Opening and closing I think)?
  • I've added a small section to HELP PACKS about artifact containers. I have not listed every type of pack and what they do etc, because the danger is that in the future this would just be yet another helpfile that needs updating anytime we add an artifact container, and would almost certainly get forgotten about.

It links to the relevant artifact helpfiles though, so people should be able to find what they're looking for.

Once the gear overhaul has been released I will start going through the Overhaul helpfiles. I'm aware that they are outdated and probably just need to go, but it's easier to sort them out once everything (or close to everything!) is done and released.
    Just learned this today. In HELP ARTIFACTS UTILITY, it should be noted that Brooch of the Tempest allows for flight in high wind speeds.
  • Fixed!
    How about a help file to explain clan and manse deeds a lot more in depth, including syntax, who gets what privs and generally how it all works?
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    What do I do to bring attention to help files that are worded badly (don't explain the mechanics quite right, not typos or grammar)? Can post here but surely in game would be better?

• Qistrel said:
    What do I do to bring attention to help files that are worded badly (don't explain the mechanics quite right, not typos or grammar)? Can post here but surely in game would be better?

You can either post here or you can HELPBUG.

I love the idea of a file about deeding, I will knock one together and post here when done - if it's missing any information you can then post suggestions.
  • HELP DEEDS is now available for your perusal. If I got anything wrong or you would like something else clarified, please HELPBUG or post here!
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.

Maylea said:
    HELP DEEDS is now available for your perusal. If I got anything wrong or you would like something else clarified, please HELPBUG or post here!
    Hey, would it be possible to explain how to use SHRINE PRIVS to induct people to order-deeded clans/make them the clan leader even if they aren't in the clan, and the owner is inactive? We've had a few cases where people go inactive and are the only ones able to induct into order clans.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Shaddus said:

Maylea said:
    HELP DEEDS is now available for your perusal. If I got anything wrong or you would like something else clarified, please HELPBUG or post here!
    Hey, would it be possible to explain how to use SHRINE PRIVS to induct people to order-deeded clans/make them the clan leader even if they aren't in the clan, and the owner is inactive? We've had a few cases where people go inactive and are the only ones able to induct into order clans.

The God who the clan is deeded to can take care of that... if they are active, at least. It would be nice to have that induct priv for all deeded clans though (order, org, family, etc) so you do not have to bug the admin.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited January 2016
    Xenthos said:
    Shaddus said:

Maylea said:

The God who the clan is deeded to can take care of that... if they are active, at least. It would be nice to have that induct priv for all deeded clans though (order, org, family, etc) so you do not have to bug the admin.
    I think (take three!) he just means that that portion could use a more thorough explanation.

Also to my knowledge, you can't induct people remotely through an order clan. You'd first need to find someone active within the clan, promote them to leader, and then use them for induction purposes. At least that's how I had to finagle Mysrai's cartels.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • edited January 2016
    I think that because I changed that sentence (about order deeds) partway through, it really did come out making no sense. I've made it clearer!
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Perhaps an expansion of help buffs (it's own file maybe) to show off a list of commonly available buffs. No specifics for quests maybe, but a compiled list of buffs that are available not in a potentially outdated Google docs document would be nice.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    That's probably something that would be better collected on the wiki, imo. 
  • I agree - that's exactly the sort of thing the wiki is for. :)
  • can we give maylea some love for her hard work on the help files [and the other admins ofc].

But would it not be even easier to have a file that just goes through the buff database and pulls out everything that qualifies? No upkeep necessary, ever!

(This is why we need the buff database finished. That and so we can stop losing ALL defs on skillflex.)
  • Xenthos said:
    But would it not be even easier to have a file that just goes through the buff database and pulls out everything that qualifies? No upkeep necessary, ever!

(This is why we need the buff database finished. That and so we can stop losing ALL defs on skillflex.)
    Having seen a raw list of buffs...no, not easily. From what I've seen it would require translation (though this comes with the 'I am not a coder' pinch of salt).
    edited January 2016
    Maylea said:
    Xenthos said:

Having seen a raw list of buffs...no, not easily. From what I've seen it would require translation (though this comes with the 'I am not a coder' pinch of salt).

That's where the word "database" comes into play. You can flag defs as having specific qualities. You can run a query over it asking it to just report the name of anything that fits the criteria ("Lusty, give me a list of everything that has a positive health buff effect"). The point of a good database is to take raw rubbish and allow you to access it in useful and meaningful ways with little effort. Another example would be (as per the previous post of mine): "Lusty, I just forgot Totems. Remove all defs from me that are linked to Totems." Far more practical and user friendly than stripping everything blanketly.

Admittedly getting it all into the database in the first place is a lot of work, but this has been going on for over a year now (maybe even close to two).  It has to be nearly done... right?  Right?  /wishful thinking
  • Having no idea how what we have works (I have only seen a raw dump of buffs, which was a tad on the ugly side), I shall leave such things to those who understand/have access to them :)
    Maylea said:
    Having no idea how what we have works (I have only seen a raw dump of buffs, which was a tad on the ugly side), I shall leave such things to those who understand/have access to them :)

See the edit above. I am pretty sure what you have seen is what you have, since I haven't actually heard anything about the thing being finished. :p Mostly I was saying that it is a backburnered project which, if finished, could make your life easier / allow more options for in-game reports and useful tools.
  • The buffs DB talk makes me curious how the whole architecture of the game looks. I'd love to see how Lusternia's database is organized (if stuff is even stored in a DB at all!).

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Havastus said:
    The buffs DB talk makes me curious how the whole architecture of the game looks. I'd love to see how Lusternia's database is organized (if stuff is even stored in a DB at all!).
    I get the feeling we really, really wouldn't want to see how things are organized :P .
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.