Trolling New Demigods - A Treatise

I make a point now saying that this is not a rant. This is for the people in the past, present or future who have encountered this in their career here in Lusternia as players, divine or anything else:

Hi everyone!

Recently self-made demigods seem to be the target of the appetite of some people here (wow, so tasty) . And while that's -really- funny to some of you, or you may remember fondly on the time someone killed you and left you at level 94 or level 92. I don't think it should be laughed at, nor should it be encouraged by the playerbase to come after people trying to establish themselves with hours of playtime under their belts. Of course, I come out saying this now because it has most recently happened to me, but I had been planning on writing something here anyway concerning the targeting of fledgling demigods, how ironic right? I recently made demigod, I was about 2.3 million essence in. And now I'm fighting back down in level 95 (oh goody).

I was so excited guys. I was on the edge of my seat wanting to play. I finally got to be up there with the 'big dogs,' the people who get to do the first stages of Domoths. The people that have all the cool additions to their stats. I spent hours working to get there. I spent over $120 dollars to get there faster because Lady @Lisaera needed more demigods, and mostly what I was doing was for her and Serenwilde. But then, it all got taken away in one big shot. Wasted time. Wasted money. And wasted emotional investment.

Now, without naming names, (because I'm classy) I have seen other people, well-established demigods, vernals, true ascendants go after people randomly and target them while they are still in the stages of "new demigod" which basically means you are building up a buffer that keeps you from dying and going back to the beginning of titan. My question is, for them at least, why would you do something to someone like that. Maybe you don't know them, maybe you don't like what they stand for IG, but to target them randomly, continuously so that they are forced to start over? Now, while I consider that abhorrent (isn't that a bit obvious), I also consider it a negative impact on this community, an ugly, oozing cyst upon the buttocks of our community. I'm curious to know why someone would do something to someone like that at random, to take away more than hours and hours of playing time that they spent, sitting at their computer, doing absolutely nothing but focusing on xp gain. Are you punishing them for being AFK? Not your responsibility. Are you just bored out of your mind? Your responsibility to do something about that instead of enjoying the tears of someone's suffering. Are you just wanting a laugh? Your responsibility to have a laugh with someone who can laugh back, or even shove it down your throat if that's what you want.

Do you remember just sitting there longing to be a part of the 'group' of people who worked that hard? The glitter crowd with all the cool titles and items? Who doesn't want to be a demigod? Who doesn't want to have the custom enter message, the custom look message, and all of the other powers that come along with it? Who tirelessly forced themselves up a level in this game so that they could do something successful IG, or contribute to a greater part of the society IG and here in these forums? If you wanted to be one of those people, and are, consider how you got here, consider how long it took you (more than others). Or even, if you wanted to be better at PK, and your little 93 level self looked up to those people who are well above rank 100 xp-wise.

Maybe those of you who target new demigods should think about how it drives people away, maybe that's your purpose, maybe that's what you want. But -real- people, much like the recent suicide in our community shows that -real- people are behind these computer screens. Real people, that really care about other people and how they react towards them. They actually want to play this game, they actually are nice people, they care about how other people see them. Which is why demigod is such a big thing. People want to be wanted and accepted, and by this particular action of killing them unawares or repeatedly, or just plain trolling them, having little knowledge of who they are as 'real people' will really destroy them.

And yeah, maybe it's just a game. People use that excuse all the time to justify something happening or doing something horrible and move on. But some people can't move on. Others won't move on, they'll remember. And they honestly won't laugh when they recall so-and-so ridding them of money, time, tears, and all the love that they put into wanting to be accepted. I know I won't.

Okay, so maybe you don't care about the real person behind the screen. But, I know that from prior experience, that all the suffering one makes for another person makes others lose respect for you. Maybe they put you in high regard, or admiration for all your hard work? If that really garners your attention, then I don't know what else will. This community should be a welcoming, growing place, either in taint, wyrd, ethereal forest, or any other magical environment in the Basin. And by doing these actions, or even any other kind of persecution, whether it was intentional or not, you are lowering the professional, mutually friendly reputation of Lusternia. So, the next time you complain about a low playerbase, or a playerbase that doesn't RP, doesn't do anything for their organization, remember that you are representatives. And it's likely more your fault, than the mechanics of the game that keeps the real people away.
Her storm-coloured eyes a muted blue, Lisaera, the Silver Goddess says, "Only sorrow can come from a rotting thought, My child, just like roots that have been drowned. You are a paragon of the wisdom I would see spread throughout the Serenwilde, but even the strongest minds must find release."
-
A shimmering liquid appears in your inventory smelling sweetly of something carbonated. It vanishes in a puff of silver smoke seconds later.
-
I write things

Comments

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    First, let's start with a simple... woah, dropping from demi to 95 in one go is a bit overkill. That said, I'm surprised that people actually do go after fresh demis. Every time I have heard of people wanting to harass others in the upper 90s/100s, it's always been a case of... "It's a titan, let's go kill it!" and I can understand that sentiment... titans are lovely offerings for divines (Something that never made much sense to me when Demis are so low) But still try and avoid jumping titans myself... unless, of course, they're making a nuisance of themselves in enemy territory... but anyway, that's besides the point.

Killing fresh demigods or non-coms has never been something to be proud of. While I ashamedly will admit to have done so myself in certain cases, it rarely tends to be a case of going out of my way to do so. For the record, someone who goes to defend their territory during a raid is not necessarily a combatant, and even if they were, attacking them in their own territory via ranged attacks when they might just be sitting around and chatting is probably not the best way to foster a friendly community within Lusternia.

Just my 2 cents.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Elanorwen said:
    First, let's start with a simple... woah, dropping from demi to 95 in one go is a bit overkill. That said, I'm surprised that people actually do go after fresh demis. Every time I have heard of people wanting to harass others in the upper 90s/100s, it's always been a case of... "It's a titan, let's go kill it!" and I can understand that sentiment... titans are lovely offerings for divines (Something that never made much sense to me when Demis are so low) But still try and avoid jumping titans myself... unless, of course, they're making a nuisance of themselves in enemy territory... but anyway, that's besides the point.

Killing fresh demigods or non-coms has never been something to be proud of. While I ashamedly will admit to have done so myself in certain cases, it rarely tends to be a case of going out of my way to do so. For the record, someone who goes to defend their territory during a raid is not necessarily a combatant, and even if they were, attacking them in their own territory via ranged attacks when they might just be sitting around and chatting is probably not the best way to foster a friendly community within Lusternia.

Just my 2 cents.
    I completely agree here, thank you. But I suppose I forgot to specify that the random targets on new demis are when they have not raided, or even have an enemy status, in some special cases. I really appreciate you adding this in here, because I forgot about it. And my post would have been tons longer.
    Her storm-coloured eyes a muted blue, Lisaera, the Silver Goddess says, "Only sorrow can come from a rotting thought, My child, just like roots that have been drowned. You are a paragon of the wisdom I would see spread throughout the Serenwilde, but even the strongest minds must find release."
    -
    A shimmering liquid appears in your inventory smelling sweetly of something carbonated. It vanishes in a puff of silver smoke seconds later.
    -
    I write things
  • Lavinya said:
    I'm really sorry this happened to you, but so you know, he a) didn't know you were a new demigod and b) didn't know you weren't around to save yourself from this much xp loss. You really, really need to set your manse privs, that's the biggest lesson here. It wasn't until Zyphora oocly asked him some time later where your body was because she saw you were losing xp on the feed that he even realised you hadn't prayed.

I know some people deliberately target new demigods, but this was a case of killing the poor Seren silly enough to let just anyone into their manse while they were afk, not a deliberately malicious act to strip you of demigod. A really really hard lesson to learn, but everyone should check their manse privs.
    Perfectly understandable. Thanks for letting me know about his reactions, and please convey that this is not at all directed towards said person. I was actually referring to a bunch of other cases that Serenwilde has dealt with that have involved others. It is quite a lesson to learn, but a whole other matter entirely (and probably another thread to discuss it in when it concerns manses). I'll be back to demigod soon enough.
    -
    -
    I write things
  • Im sorry to hear about that large drop you had. I was actually around when this was happening and was amongst the discussion wondering why you were dropping so steadily and had not prayed it. If it makes you feel any better, several people were beginning to question whom to inform to try and get you rezzed.

I admit, if it was constant kills on you, then I would find this trolling..but you were afk in a manse that had privs to allow enemies in, definitely a no-no.

I personally abhor the habit many of lusternia has (and it seems future generations) of simply going afk in their manse (some even in the open) if they have to leave for awhile. Why not simply logout? I feel like im one of the few that actually logsout. Is it because of all the defenses you've raised and dont want to reraise? I really do want to know why so many decide to go afk (even go to sleep and wake up to their characters) rather than just logout. You put yourselves in a very risky situation.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    To be fair the two demigods that were stripped in the last 24 hours were AFK in non prime locations where they were targetable. Both would have been avoidable by in the first instance, said person not being afk on Etherseren and in the second, their manse perms weren't set. In each instance it was one kill that was allowed to bleed for hours, the fault here isn't on the killer.

I've never seen people purposefully targeting fresh Demigods, I've seen people go after Titans who've a notoriety for being a pain in the backside, or going after Demigods who are also said pain in the arse who's buffer dropped low, but the whole "hey, new demigod, let's murder it!" with no reason other than for the tears feels like a myth that gets perpetuated as far as I'm concerned, I've never seen it nor seen people discussing it.

Also for the record you don't go back to the beginning of Titan, the game isn't that sadistic. Ultimately it's nigh impossible to lose Demigod without being reckless in some way, either by AFKing or raiding enemy prime on low essence. Guard influencing builds up a buffer, low level area bashing works for the same job, the UV tunnels are excellent for grinding up once you pass the million safety point. Keep using vitae or some other form of automatic resurrection till you're in a safe zone.

Demigod strips are rare, the fact we've had two in a 24 hour period is just freakishly (un)lucky.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• I don't usually have a lot of sympathy for these kinds of things but HOLY CRAP!!!!1!!1

We play zealots and bad guys and evil tree people or whatever but we are totally human. The player base stomps out a lot of issues and things that go too far. Things like roleplaying exceptionally offensive topics, theft, and overkill griefing all face pretty nasty IC consequences.

I admit that targeting Titans is a thing. Getting to demi used to be about 100 times more difficult than it is today so people are not sympathetic to their plight and they usually freak out in hilarious ways. Normally though, people who lose demi are doing things they were warned not to by at least a dozen people.

I am so sorry this happened to you. There is no way any of us would think that doing something like that intentionally would be ok.

Arcanis said:
    Im sorry to hear about that large drop you had. I was actually around when this was happening and was amongst the discussion wondering why you were dropping so steadily and had not prayed it. If it makes you feel any better, several people were beginning to question whom to inform to try and get you rezzed.

I admit, if it was constant kills on you, then I would find this trolling..but you were afk in a manse that had privs to allow enemies in, definitely a no-no.

I personally abhor the habit many of lusternia has (and it seems future generations) of simply going afk in their manse (some even in the open) if they have to leave for awhile. Why not simply logout? I feel like im one of the few that actually logsout. Is it because of all the defenses you've raised and dont want to reraise? I really do want to know why so many decide to go afk (even go to sleep and wake up to their characters) rather than just logout. You put yourselves in a very risky situation.
    Dunno, my manse has some very draconian privs on it, to the point where if someone does end up killing me in my manse, chances are they're going to get into a nice amount of trouble with their org for breaking NAP/Alliance rules. And yes, sometimes it's defs, sometimes it's a case of... okay, I need to go to the restroom and I'll be a little while, so I'll afk in my manse rather than logout and log back in. Sometimes people like to keep track of chat happening while they're asleep (Not me, but I've heard of such). Still, manse AFK was made completely legal by the admins considering the way sitting in your manse doesn't affect your vote weight, etc, and since that point some of us have avoided raiding enemy manses, even when they fail to set their privs properly... (With certain exceptions, there is one person that I won't care if he's afk or not that I'd kill on sight, but mostly because said person sort-of raids and doesn't even try to fight in a 1:1 setting when defenders arrive)

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • I don't know if it is griefing or not. It -almost- happened to me, too. I'm at the bottom of the demi xp rankings (for good reason, <40k is bad, bad news). I got jumped, too. On Prime, in Toronada (non-enemy territory) when I was trying to teach a novice how to bash more effectively.

I got away, but I can't help wondering why I was even a target, there and at that time.

Ultimately though, protecting your essence really is up to you, and you alone. The why of it doesn't really matter in the end, and is unprovable anyway. There's always things you can do to protect yourself, and though it really sucks to hear, spending hours afk really does make the bulk of the loss your own fault.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Elanorwen said:
    (With certain exceptions, there is one person that I won't care if he's afk or not that I'd kill on sight, but mostly because said person sort-of raids and doesn't even try to fight in a 1:1 setting when defenders arrive)
    oh the irony

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I was ganked ten minutes after I got demi. :(
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    I dunno maybe I'm a hardass but when I willingly go afk I accept that bad things may happen to me. I don't make arbitrary area exceptions. Afk is afk.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited October 2014
    I think with the introduction of manses being perfectly O.K. places to AFK in without getting yelled at by mods, this invasion and killing of people is really a little bit out of line. But like everyone else said, you should expect people to be unsympathetic and thus take some precautions. Privileges, doors, monolith sigils, whatever.

Rivius said:
    I dunno, I've always felt that killing someone in their manse is a bit icky. I could totally get jumping on astral, ethereal or whatever...but in a manse? You hunted them down just to get a free kill for the laugh of it. Not to mention the person was clearly afk, so what other pleasure do you get out of it than knowing you caused them some inconvenience? You certainly didn't kill them for a fight. It was griefing.
     ^^^^^ Especially what Rivius said, though.

• I appreciate everyone adding in their own contributions. But I just wanted to specify a bit more that my manse has been missing since I got ganked. Since it was an aethership I was acutally in. I did set my privs in I thought would prevent any enemy org member in there. So, I'm attempting to get it back by borrowing a whistle.

Regardless of my own situation. I think we can come to an understanding by these posts that everyone has a different opinion or interpretation of how trolling, griefing, or afk is perceived in this game by our playerbase. Maybe it still needs to be re-examined so that everyone can be on the same page so it prevents stuff like this from happening in the future. Of course, I do feel partially responsible, as I did qq, and was somehow not logged out. But it is a lesson to be learned, and a warning for anyone else.

Thanks all.

-
    -
    I write things
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Dying shouldn't do anything to your manse/ship, that it's gone is bizarre, I'd bug it. Also, be sure you set the FULCRUX perms, and not the room perms, as it's the fulcrux that allows entry to the manse.

• The only people I know who got hunted as a demigod with the explicit purpose to try and strip them of demigodhood have been abrasive, aggressive combatants. Usually those who use questionable tactics that are borderline griefy themselves. Most of the demigods who ever got their demigod stripped by other players (and not by accidentally dying during bashing etc) fall under this category as well. I don't think there are anyone currently active who keep an eye out for fresh demis and jump on them the moment they step out of avenger protection on any side in the game. I've personally only played a primary role in stripping demigod from one person before, because I made his corpse into a mask after he died in a raid.

On the topic of manse afking and manse killing... well, manses can't really be avenger protected - there'd be no real way to throw someone out of your manse otherwise. Also, since manses also double as aethership interiors (if they get turned into an aethership) an argument can be made that they are a part of the gameworld, not just some afk-spot. The biggest problem with manses is because they straddle this grey area between in-game area and OOC relaxation spot. They are fully player customizable, which means you can do blatantly OOC things to the rooms in a manse, which indicates they are not a part of the game world... but at the same time, aetherships are very much a fully fleshed out aspect of the IC experience. You can't just blanket declare all manses as afk areas and out-of-bounds to PKers (and thus define what falls under ethical behavior inside one), because there are manses which are fully designed to be a part of the game by their players. Yet at the same time, it is an official admin stance that afking should take place in manses - literally that if you are afking outside of a manse, there's the chance you may come under suspicion for trying to artificially inflate your vote weight (which carries real OOC consequences).

I don't know what's a good solution. Maybe make any new manse default to owner-only perms?

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Defaulting to owner-only is good in case people forget or, more likely for newer players (am I correct in guessing that a new player is likely to first think about buying their own manse about when they hit demi, if they're going to do either of them at all? I dunno. It seems like a reasonable estimate.) in case they just don't know to do it.

I suppose that a function to peace manses (Artifact, perm-type thing, whatever mechanism seems best) could be added in. Make it manse only, not aetherships, so it can't possibly have any sort of role in pvp. I don't think just having the option to peace manses is unreasonable if they're being used as designated AFK spots, although it does carry the downside of making it so the owner can't force someone out easily, same as making them avenger protected.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a suite of options to make private manses as secure as the owner wants, including an emergency command that ejects all occupants to the aetherplex.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited October 2014
    Well I guess it is always good to have two sides to a story. Further just remember my RL wife is lovely and I am the dick (no need to associate her with my actions). Leolamins killed Arien. There is no need to hide that and that was absolutely the intended action. Leo found a Serenwilder in a manse that he could enter and attacked. Not exactly out of character for Leo either. There were no game rules broken and I agree with you all that it is a morally grey area (feel free to continue the discussion on griefing and ‘what Leolamins did’ :) ). The point of this post however is that I was deliberately targeting new demigods with the aim of stripping them of levels. I have two demigod characters and two characters in 90s. I know all about the pain of leveling characters up and getting them to demigod. Killing Arien to strip her demigod status and remove levels was never the intention. In fact if that was the aim I did a terrible job at it considering I didn’t even pick up the body. Straight after the game I parked Leo in his manse and played a few LOL games and it wasn’t until someone sent me a OCC tell that I was aware the levels were dropping. At this time I actually directed them to the body still being in the manse so they could res her. The intention was never to strip Arien of levels, just to kill a Seren.

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

Synkarin said:
    Elanorwen said:
    (With certain exceptions, there is one person that I won't care if he's afk or not that I'd kill on sight, but mostly because said person sort-of raids and doesn't even try to fight in a 1:1 setting when defenders arrive)
    oh the irony
    Being that I haven't raided in the past.... what is it, 6 RL months, I'm amused by this comment. Then again, I usually only raid when someone else instigates and asks me to go help (Or in response to an enemy raid), and only raided Mysrai's back in the day for an order task... yeah, sure, really ironic.

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Elanorwen said:
    Synkarin said:
    Elanorwen said:
    oh the irony
    Being that I haven't raided in the past.... what is it, 6 RL months, I'm amused by this comment. Then again, I usually only raid when someone else instigates and asks me to go help (Or in response to an enemy raid), and only raided Mysrai's back in the day for an order task... yeah, sure, really ironic.
    No, mostly the complaint about someone not willing to 1:1 in a raid, yet you only 1:1 people you know you can beat and won't bother against anyone else. That's the ironic part....the part where you complain about the same things you've done quite often in the past.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Alright, guys. Take it to snuggling IC.

@Arien : I'm sorry for your loss. For every handful of amazing, awesome people in Lusternia there's 2-3 douchebags that just go out of their way to screw with people, and the person who killed you both is one of them. He always has been. All I can suggest is that you need to make some triggers to phoenix, let people work to get you back to where you were, and learn better next time. I've seen people lose Demigod and work their way back, and you'll do it too. Just don't give up because of this setback.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Lavinya said:
    Dying shouldn't do anything to your manse/ship, that it's gone is bizarre, I'd bug it. Also, be sure you set the FULCRUX perms, and not the room perms, as it's the fulcrux that allows entry to the manse.
    Her chair perms probably weren't set, and he ran her ship off into god knows where.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    edited October 2014
    uhh... @Shaddus it was Leolamins and no, he didn't. I was sitting beside him waiting for him to play LoL with me so I know. :/

EDIT: Also no idea who stripped the other demigod in Seren but it wasn't Leo! Talk about painting with a broad stroke of the brush ;).

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Can we just point out that the people who died wouldn't have lost demigod if they weren't afk, these deaths went on for several hours.

Not minutes. Hours.

Sure the second one is a case that manse perms should have been set better and became unfortunate circumstance, but the first one to someone else happened outside a manse in the gaming world, where said victim went afk long enough to bleed several million + a fair chunk of titan. I can't have any sympathy there for someone who was breaking the rules, it's akin to sticking your hand in a fire and complaining you got burned.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Sucks but how is anyone supposed to know you are a fresh demigod and afk? I doubt you honour everyone before taking a jab at them. So why expect others to treat you differently? It seems you messed up and paid the price, again that sucks but such is life. Don't go into pvp without a 5 mil buffer. Don't even leave your org without a 1 mil buffer. These are well established guidelines.

And while I am against continuous griefing and borderline tactics I don't think we need to treat each other with gloved hands just because there is a perceived "low playerbase". If you do that, only thing that happens is people grow complacent, which backfires in the end. Learn the rules of the game, teach others so it doesn't happen to them, but honestly since you didn't get targeted for being a fresh demi why even go on a rant about that? I understand you are upset but you really only have yourself to blame here. You sound rather burnt out, so I think maybe a small break to put things into perspective might help. Glad you didn't outright quit though, and see your fault, so there is that. Catch your breath, get the levels back and err on the side of caution from there on until you got that buffer.

PS: I really like @Lerad's suggestion of default manse perms being set to owner only. I think a lot of people set that as the first thing anyway.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Rialorm said:
    Don't go into pvp without a 5 mil buffer. Don't even leave your org without a 1 mil buffer.
    I've done both.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"