Trolling New Demigods - A Treatise

Comments

• I think the major and most important problem here that Arien brought up for discussion is not what everyone has really been talking about. It's the idea that there is a culture in Lusternia that targets fresh Demigods for the sole purpose of stripping them of it (and nothing else). And that if there IS indeed such a culture, it should be considered griefing, considering the emotional investment of getting demigod (even if it is no longer the same time/effort requirement as in the past) etc etc Arien talked about. On this topic, I will also agree such a culture should not exist, and steps, including removing the option for stripping demigod at all, should be considered, or at least discussed. Personally, I do not think such a culture exists in Lusternia, but I only know of the part of the game I experience, and if there is enough evidence that as a community we are tolerating or even condoning such behavior, then something probably needs to be done.

The actual existence of this option of stripping Demigodhood (AKA consequences for your actions, in this case, afking) is not actually morally, or ethically, in question. Neither is the rightness or wrongness of afking in a manse, nor the rightness or wrongness of killing people afking in a manse or elsewhere, but I digress. Anyway, this mechanic has been a part of the game experience of Lusternia since Demigodhood was introduced, if I am not wrong (I wasn't around for its implementation) and there is no real reason to change it for the sake of changing it alone. If anything, it could be a part of what Estarra originally envisioned the game to be instead of just a happenstance of mechanics, where the rise and fall of demigods are supposed to be a part of the game experience... but that's speculation. My point is, there's no reason to change experience loss mechanics just because - if there is a reason, it would be in the existence of a concern, like what Arien described. "I don't see any reason for it being there," isn't quite a concern on the same level as a community-wide harrassment of fresh demigods. Yes, I know wharrassment is a loaded word and all, but I guess attacking multiple people for no reason on a ide scale by a number of people could be constituted as harrassment in a way - in fact, talking about whether it is harrassment on a level that should incite a change in game mechanics would be one that is perfectly suited to this thread of discussion.

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited October 2014
    No one goes out of their way to strip demigod knowingly unless said person has done something to 'deserve' it. 

A few players have done something to raise the ire of people and gotten themselves hunted with the sole purpose of demigod being stripped, others are simply unknowingly stripped by routine griefing (I feel like @Darius case was here, and @Arien/@Ryylaet fall in here too). The intention wasn't to trip demigod, it was simply to kill them and grief them.

I don't particularly care one way or the other if the drain is removed, but the reasoning (so you can freely AFK) for suggesting it in this thread is pretty poor. The essence drain exists as a consequence to dying and not praying right away, and there should always be consequences and risks in a conflict game. Yes, sometimes an emergency may pop up, but that's not the case 99% of the time, and shouldn't really be a consideration when changing game mechanics.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Yeah, at first i was like oh look blah blah blah, don't care, don't care, don't - wait a minute.....

That this is something that could theoretically happen to me changes this from 'boo f-ing hoo' to something that is of vital importance!!!!!!1

Grief happens and the people that do it are dicks. But are you kidding me! I did not realize that a reasonable consequence for going AFK was to lose a bajillion essence. I'm not sure I'm going to ever leave my manse again!

I'm not surprised that once people realized what was happening that they came together to try and help. At the end of the day it's a pretty decent group of people here.

Having said that, you are all maniacs! Stay. Away. From. My. Essence! (mine is special because i put glitter in it. I mean i put undead glitter in it? I mean, RAWRR!)

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Synkarin said:

I don't particularly care one way or the other if the drain is removed, but the reasoning (so you can freely AFK) for suggesting it in this thread is pretty poor. The essence drain exists as a consequence to dying and not praying right away, and there should always be consequences and risks in a conflict game. Yes, sometimes an emergency may pop up, but that's not the case 99% of the time, and shouldn't really be a consideration when changing game mechanics.

Would there ever be a reason to not praying right away beyond you got disconnected/were afk/your power went out/etc/etc? With the one exception of wanting to go back to newbie-land and dying and letting the drain keep going until you're say lvl 5, there is no reason for the drain to exist in the first place. As has already been mentioned, there exists a punishment for dying, that being the chunk you lose when you die, and it is a lesser or bigger punishment depending on where you die, too. There also already exists a mechanic where certain individuals do not get extra drain for not immediately praying/phoenixing - i.e. ascendants who get to revive in the domoth realms after a time, non-demis off prime who have learned conglute.

As an addendum... just because something has existed for a long while doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good idea in the first place.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • edited October 2014
    Synkarin said:
    No one goes out of their way to strip demigod knowingly unless said person has done something to 'deserve' it. 

A few players have done something to raise the ire of people and gotten themselves hunted with the sole purpose of demigod being stripped, others are simply unknowingly stripped by routine griefing (I feel like @Darius case was here, and @Arien/@Ryylaet fall in here too). The intention wasn't to trip demigod, it was simply to kill them and grief them.

My point is that you should not be able to AFK period if cases like this are going to cause people to waste time and money. If its suggested, then you should be okay doing it. If not, and it's strictly forbidden. You get slapped on the wrist, you get reminded of the rules. They should be altered to reflect the community. If someone gets killed and pays the consequences for it in the future, then it should be without sympathy. The nature of the cases presented here are the facts, that 1) my case was where I thought I was logged out/safe/ect and 2) killing people just to kill people really should be NOT be an IG, justifiable reason. That's just dumb, this isn't a PK-heavy focused game for some people. Just because you're apart of one organization, someone was bored, and wanted a kill, doesn't mean that it's okay and not issuable especially in this case. The person who PK'd had the option of checking XP rankings, but didn't. They were just looking for a free one. I guess what it all comes down to is an interpretation of HELP AFK, HELP MANSES AND HELP PK.
    Her storm-coloured eyes a muted blue, Lisaera, the Silver Goddess says, "Only sorrow can come from a rotting thought, My child, just like roots that have been drowned. You are a paragon of the wisdom I would see spread throughout the Serenwilde, but even the strongest minds must find release."
    -
    A shimmering liquid appears in your inventory smelling sweetly of something carbonated. It vanishes in a puff of silver smoke seconds later.
    -
    I write things
  • Elanorwen said:
    Synkarin said:

Would there ever be a reason to not praying right away beyond you got disconnected/were afk/your power went out/etc/etc? With the one exception of wanting to go back to newbie-land and dying and letting the drain keep going until you're say lvl 5, there is no reason for the drain to exist in the first place. As has already been mentioned, there exists a punishment for dying, that being the chunk you lose when you die, and it is a lesser or bigger punishment depending on where you die, too. There also already exists a mechanic where certain individuals do not get extra drain for not immediately praying/phoenixing - i.e. ascendants who get to revive in the domoth realms after a time, non-demis off prime who have learned conglute.

As an addendum... just because something has existed for a long while doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good idea in the first place.
    Well, you lose less essence/XP if you get resurrected IIRC, so that's a good reason not to pray right away...
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    People, this was an absurdly outlying situation in which a mixture of intentional failures (circumventing Timeout) and unintentional failures (accidentally not logging out, wrong manse perms) combined with someone legitimately seeking a questionable? kill to create a nearly unimaginable scenario. The proper response is, "Whoa, that sucks... sorry... let's look at where the failures happened and correct them," not, 'ZOMG CHANGE THE GAME SO THAT THIS ONE IN A MILLION SCENARIO NEVER EVER HAPPENS AGAIN!!!"

What's with the overreactions? We've already established that there were many steps along the way already in place that could have prevented this. But, by a series of coincidences and bad planning, it happened. Things like this are always going to happen.

The point of the OP was to ask, "Is there a culture of ganking new demigods?", not, "How can we prevent this from happening?" We KNOW the answer to the second. As to the first, I haven't seen it, but let's talk about that instead.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    No, there is not.

Thread done, let's talk about safe zones and afk some more.
    Arien said:
    That's just dumb, this isn't a PK-heavy focused game for some people. Just because you're apart of one organization, someone was bored, and wanted a kill, doesn't mean that it's okay and not issuable especially in this case.
    I definitely don't agree with this at all. I think this case is absolutely okay and non-issuable. He wanted a kill, so he went and killed you because you didn't set the perms up. It's no different than numerous other people from each and every org that have done or will do the same exact type of thing. 'Because I don't like it' isn't an acceptable reason to say something isn't ok. 

This is a game about CONFLICT, and with CONFLICT comes risks and consequences. You don't get to skip out on certain aspects because you don't like them. Yes, your situation sucks, it's a huge bummer, but it's still a part of the game.

Why isn't killing people just to kill people an IG justifiable reason? I'm sure if @Leolamins wanted to, he could come up with justifiable reasons for his character that would seem really flimsy to you, but does that make him wrong?

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • edited October 2014
    If you're trying to come up with justifiable reasons, it's not RP.  It's an excuse to take an OOC-motivated action.  

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

As it stands most of the characters in the world are wooden and flat, functioning as a wish fulfillment for player egos, spurred for illusory rewards on a perpetual chatroom treadmill.

"A man's not dead while his name is still spoken."  - Terry Pratchett 1948-2015

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Saying someone could check XP rankings is somewhat irrelevant. Apart from the fact a couple of million essence would put you outside of what most people consider to be the red zone (which is usually the bottom 5) the onus isn't on people to pick or avoid their targets based on if it might strip or not.

Truth is in your instance, you were gone long enough that you could have been higher up the ranking and still fallen to Titan. There isn't a single demigod strip that wasn't avoidable in some way, not one. Fresh Demigods should be hiding in their org behind a stack of guards and influencing till they hit at least a million, people shouldn't go into raiding/domoth stage 1/3 fights without a good 5 million essence and if you're going afk be absolutely sure you aren't going to get murdered. If you have concerns that something might happen, clear any triggers you have that bypass the timeout enforced in the game.

At the end of the day if someone loses Demigod, unless it's the unlikely scenario a group decide to raid their city and repeat kill them (which still given the reduced costs for dying on your org prime and avenger is highly impossible) which probably would only happen if said person had done something to deserve it, losing Demigod is due to fault on behalf of the player, not their aggressor.

And no, there is not a culture today where people seek out Demigods to strip them, people may choose to get excited when they kill someone who is close to losing Demigod in a PK scenario, or killing someone and watching them bleed for a very long time because they decided to go afk in a bad spot, but that's a by product of the kill, not motivation for undertaking it.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• edited October 2014

Synkarin said:
    Arien said:
    That's just dumb, this isn't a PK-heavy focused game for some people. Just because you're apart of one organization, someone was bored, and wanted a kill, doesn't mean that it's okay and not issuable especially in this case.
    I definitely don't agree with this at all. I think this case is absolutely okay and non-issuable. He wanted a kill, so he went and killed you because you didn't set the perms up. It's no different than numerous other people from each and every org that have done or will do the same exact type of thing. 'Because I don't like it' isn't an acceptable reason to say something isn't ok. 

This is a game about CONFLICT, and with CONFLICT comes risks and consequences. You don't get to skip out on certain aspects because you don't like them. Yes, your situation sucks, it's a huge bummer, but it's still a part of the game.

Why isn't killing people just to kill people an IG justifiable reason? I'm sure if @Leolamins wanted to, he could come up with justifiable reasons for his character that would seem really flimsy to you, but does that make him wrong?

Synkarin said:
    Tetra said:
    If you're trying to come up with justifiable reasons, it's not RP.  It's an excuse to take an OOC-motivated action.  

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

As it stands most of the characters in the world are wooden and flat, functioning as a wish fulfillment for player egos, spurred for illusory rewards on a perpetual chatroom treadmill.
    Doesn't reek of bitterness at all

All RP is a bunch of justifiable reasonings for your character to act and react to various things that happen within the game, and just because you don't particularly like someone's RP, doesn't make it not RP. 

What a crock of shit.

When does CONFLICT start to become a reason to grief just for CONFLICT'S sake? That's really what it comes down to. Of course this game is about conflict. I like playing dark characters simply because the strife makes the character worth-while. But in the end, its the 'kind' of conflict that justifies the means. If I had antagonized Leolamins by calling precious Lavinya something nasty, which will never happen (<3), that would justify his killing me. Killing someone in an organization because they are apart of it, but have not provoked a response like for example, poking into Magnagora, mulching some trees in Glom or killing the Firelords of Gaudi, (regardless of afk, at this point) is really a dumb excuse. This thread unravels to basically what RP means for everyone. Is it an excuse to characterize, or is it an excuse to get off on PK, and make PK flimsy excuses that are simply veiled as 'Oh, I was just RPing killing so-and-so.'  Even in war, going and killing without a valid reason is just icky. Yeah, it may be apart of the PK rules for this plane or that plane, which as the Avenger and which does not, but it's just icky. People are going to say that it is. And if you don't think that way, that's just how you see it.

At this point, many here are arguing about a different topic entirely now. If you want to make a new thread on what defines RP, what defines AFK, and what defines a suitable 'moral' kill, that's up to you.
    Her storm-coloured eyes a muted blue, Lisaera, the Silver Goddess says, "Only sorrow can come from a rotting thought, My child, just like roots that have been drowned. You are a paragon of the wisdom I would see spread throughout the Serenwilde, but even the strongest minds must find release."
    -
    A shimmering liquid appears in your inventory smelling sweetly of something carbonated. It vanishes in a puff of silver smoke seconds later.
    -
    I write things
  • Arien said:

No but PK is an integral part of the game so just because someone chooses not to partake in it does not mean they are automatically to be excluded from any consequences. You are still very much a target. And you should do whatever is within your means to protect yourself, or you will sooner or later become a target. Also, there is absolutely nothing issuable here so I hope you meant that in general. The system gets abused enough already by people who use it for their petty squabbles, which is damn sad. It's like a kid running to their mom to cry about what the other kid did to them.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
    To be fair, Karlach came to the conclusion Arien was mocking him a while back and took her head off for it, even left you an explanation there and then as to why.

It's not up to anyone to judge other people's reasons or motivations, death happens.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    This is far more amusing than it should be. People always bitch about afk and then do it themselves, then wanna complain when they get hurt for it? Also why is your manse still public?
  • Rialorm said:
    Arien said:

No but PK is an integral part of the game so just because someone chooses not to partake in it does not mean they are automatically to be excluded from any consequences. You are still very much a target. And you should do whatever is within your means to protect yourself, or you will sooner or later become a target. Also, there is absolutely nothing issuable here so I hope you meant that in general. The system gets abused enough already by people who use it for their petty squabbles, which is damn sad. It's like a kid running to their mom to cry about what the other kid did to them.
    While I understand how the system is abused, it is the interpretation of how PK-ers are able to abuse HELP PK. I'm fine with being a target. In fact, when I am aware and in my usual active, m.o self I enjoy the fighting, heck, I even thought I could make a good reputation doing it, and doing it with veiling my kills in a 'just because RP,' type situation. This abuse of the system can go both ways. I welcome the attention if I deserve it or brought it upon myself when it comes to PK.

But, as I've said before. Somethings can be undeserved. Trust me, I'm over this, and I would like to get back to the usual Lusternia happy-fun-time. But this discussion is not an overreaction, nor is this a petty squabble in any manner. I invested a lot of time, everyone does. But I think it's better to warn people, rather than have it become a repeat offense, don't you think? I'd like to prevent someone, like myself from doing what I had done.  Because, yeah, it does happen quite often. More than people would like, it seems. Some of your answers have been quite thought provoking when comparing them to the written rules. All of you have a lot of different ideas, and that's interesting to see.

If you want to continue the conversation elsewhere, be my guest. But the threads going in perpetual circles, because no one can agree, and no one can not take others opinions without some sort of personal offense. So let's just be done. And get back to the game with the reminder that we're all trying our best not to be douchebags.
    -
    -
    I write things
  • Munsia said:
    This is far more amusing than it should be. People always bitch about afk and then do it themselves, then wanna complain when they get hurt for it? Also why is your manse still public?
    There's a difference between AFK-ing in a manse and AFK-bashing for two years straight, hun bun.

• edited October 2014
    Karlach said:
    To be fair, Karlach came to the conclusion Arien was mocking him a while back and took her head off for it, even left you an explanation there and then as to why.

It's not up to anyone to judge other people's reasons or motivations, death happens.
    EDIT:
    -
    -
    I write things
    edited October 2014
    I'm confused at what you're trying to get at now. Are you asking for Leo's IC or OOC reasoning to kill you? I feel like it's generally agreed upon that within this dicsussion that it was a dick move. I also feel like it's also generally agreed upon that there will always be griefers who play the game to kill people and win. This isn't an isolated occurrence, every org has had plenty of griefers in their time.

There's really two choices, 1) get over it and move on (I'm not sure you're really over it) or 2) learn from it, so you can murder him later. Best way to stop a griefer is to murder him or get your buddies to do it, whatever works.

Edit: Also, I don't think anyone outright said that you 'deserved' this, just that it's part of the game and not abuse. The only thing Leo abused was your poorly set manse perms. It's pretty tough to 'abuse' Lusty's PK system, so I'm unsure what you're trying to get at with that. I'm officially bamboozled by your stance here.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Whoah whoah whoah. Now, I've been on the other side of this so I speak with a little better understanding now when I say - why are YOU (meaning any of you) the authority on what is good rp for someone else? I used to get annoyed with people not performing the actions I thought they should for said org or whatever (like Celest being buddies with Glom, hello wyrd=taintlite),  but I learned to get off my high horse as I realised I was being terrible arrogant and insulting and ignorant of the intricacies of their rp.

Arien died and it could have been avoided. Suddenly putting the onus back on the character that killed you for doing it for the 'wrong' reasons or 'no reasons' is really not fair. Leolamins -not- killing someone he saw from Celest or Seren (whoever they are) is behaving more against the persona he has established. Stopping to check the xp ranking of someone before wantonly killing them though, that is somehow less meta and character breaking? You can't have it both ways. It sucks that you lost so much - but as others have said, there's no non-com flag. It's all or nothing. And when you're dealing with people affected by the taint, you know, how it fills them with hunger and aggression, why are you trying to dictate that they should instead rp that as careful and considerate? I may be exaggerating slightly, but that's essentially what you're asking here. Do you really think everyone should alter how they have been playing since the beginning to appease to your sense of what is 'right' rp? As I learned, no, no you should not.

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited October 2014
    Arien has been summarily beheaded by Fly Camberre, Ward of the Wyrd.

^Really though? If we take this hypothetical situation of Camberre -just now- killing Arien during an astral hunt, are we all going to sit down and justify his "Glom kills Serens" RP or are we going to be disgusted by his obviously griefy intent? Where do we the players draw the line?

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Lavinya said:
    -snip-
    Yet when I went out of my way to kill a Mag "non-com" (One that participates in domoth steals is not a non-com in my opinion, but w/e), everyone was bitching at me? Amusing.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Arien said:

Okay, so maybe you don't care about the real person behind the screen. But, I know that from prior experience, that all the suffering one makes for another person makes others lose respect for you. Maybe they put you in high regard, or admiration for all your hard work? If that really garners your attention, then I don't know what else will. This community should be a welcoming, growing place, either in taint, wyrd, ethereal forest, or any other magical environment in the Basin. And by doing these actions, or even any other kind of persecution, whether it was intentional or not, you are lowering the professional, mutually friendly reputation of Lusternia. So, the next time you complain about a low playerbase, or a playerbase that doesn't RP, doesn't do anything for their organization, remember that you are representatives. And it's likely more your fault, than the mechanics of the game that keeps the real people away.
    Here's Arien's last paragraph of her first post, so you can read it again. And give her a fucking break.

• edited October 2014
    I don't know how many times I need to repeat myself here. I've said what I've wanted about how I felt, and it's my opinion, and my desire to be done with this discussion, and yeah, I'm over it. You people can keep discussing it as if I don't really have a right to discuss what's happened when you talk about me and what continues to happen me. But, you continue to stir up what's already been said. As I've said. I don't blame @Leolamins. In fact, I was just using him as an example, not in a negative manner, but to make a point about how some PKer's are percieved. No offense to him, or anything, he was an example I picked from a heap of others. I can honestly say did not mean to sound or imply insincerity in regards to him @Lavinya, so apologies. I'd like to move on, and people have the courtesy to take this to other forums if they want.

EDIT: I can't type
    -
    -
    I write things
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Elanorwen said:
    Lavinya said:
    -snip-
    Yet when I went out of my way to kill a Mag "non-com" (One that participates in domoth steals is not a non-com in my opinion, but w/e), everyone was bitching at me? Amusing.
    I don't even remember who that was. I did say, righty at the beginning, that I used to do just that, and that I learned it was really unfair of me to do so. Once someone started telling me how I should have been roleplaying my character it all suddenly became clear, and in honesty I felt a bit bad about the hard time I'd given others.

• I guess my real question is, are we going to ostracize Camberre or not for his behaviour, like everyone did to Caerlyr, or is there a double standard since he's been part of the Southern alliance. That's what I'm asking.

Maligorn said:
    Arien said:

And by doing these actions, or even any other kind of persecution, whether it was intentional or not, you are lowering the professional, mutually friendly reputation of Lusternia. 
    Here's Arien's last paragraph of her first post, so you can read it again. And give her a fucking break.
    Ignoring the ad-hominem in some of that (claiming people don't care about others etc) I'd like to highlight the above section.

Before I do, I'll point out this conversation, like all forum topics, evolved and branched into different aspects and discussion. People have discussed various aspects, such as timeouts, maximum loss on drain, the idea of never losing demigod, and the discussion goes around. The point of a forum isn't just a soapbox for someone to have their say and that's that, discussion, debate and conflicting or agreeing opinions take part.

Now, to the bit I quoted, I believe there's a misconception here. Lusternia is a professional and friendly place. The misunderstanding is that you seem to think friendly = no one ever bothers you or interacts with you in a negative manner. When what it means is that people are playing the game, and interacting with you as mechanics and story allow, but at the same time they (and many others) are willing to give advice as to "this is where it went wrong, this is how you can fix it or avoid it in future."

Seldom, if ever, will you meet someone who will gleefully kill you at will, and not at the same time work with you on how to do better next time, or avoid the same pitfalls that led to your untimely demise. Heck even in this thread there's been several suggestions.

• Lavinya said:
    Whoah whoah whoah. Now, I've been on the other side of this so I speak with a little better understanding now when I say - why are YOU (meaning any of you) the authority on what is good rp for someone else? I used to get annoyed with people not performing the actions I thought they should for said org or whatever (like Celest being buddies with Glom, hello wyrd=taintlite),  but I learned to get off my high horse as I realised I was being terrible arrogant and insulting and ignorant of the intricacies of their rp.

Let's not tap at that can of worms..

:-w