Aquachemantics Released!

A new primary skillchoice for Aquamancers! From the Announce:

The first of a new primary (yes, PRIMARY!) skillchoice for mages and druids has been released! The skill is called Aquachemantics and you take it after specializing in Elementalism as an alternative to Aquamancy. (Aquamancy is still available, of course.) This skillset was developed in an alternate future reality where the Pool of Stars was destroyed so Aquamancers had to develop an alternate method of harnessing their powers. They have developed chemantic reagents that can be used to create mists that surround them and coat their skins with sheens as well as powerful chemantic reactions.

We know players have often said they'd like a mage option that doesn't rely on demesnes, and we've often said we would like to develop more steampunk themes in Lusternia. Thus, we've tried to develop a whole new strategy for this skillset that comes from the future! Unlike Aquamancy which is designed for group combat, Aquachemantics is more tooled for 1:1 combat insofar that main offense are passive effects that just target one person and retributive effects that only occur when the mage is attacked. However, there are some skills that will target all enemies, though have heavy power costs. In summary, while we are confident that the theory of this new skillchoice is viable, we need to see it in action in before committing with others.

Once we are satisfied with the skillset, we will go forward with coding the other skillsets in the order the doors were opened: Hartstone, Aeromancers, Blacktalon, Geomancers, Pyromancers

Hope you enjoy!

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Pretty cool, but not sure delaying the coding of the rest is the best idea. If there is no Pool of Stars in the future where it was made, does that mean it doesn't require Pool-specific power to use? That said, ABs, anyone? *perk* (does the Xiel-summoning dance)

EDIT: No future nexii also means no spec races?

• edited December 2012
    I am excited that there are new skillsets on the way, and am grateful for all the work that's been put into them... but I have some concerns about how we can ICly explain away these changes, should they happen. Can I ask whether there will be God-guidance in this, or whether we're to explain it ourselves? Time travel isn't something that's really explained, lore-wise, and it's hard to digest. OOCly, even!

The Glomdoring is centred around a confident outlook of the future. This is, basically, what our entire rp is about. The Wyrd -will- conquer, and that is that. 

The event with Xynthin definitely challenged some of these ideals, but for the most part, we've been able to explain it to / among ourselves and could move on. If we can believe that the present in our timeline is the true timeline, then all is well in the world. If we have to consider that all time/space continuums are valid and true... we should all just pack up and move to Gaudi and waste ourselves in misery, or join Halli and wonder at science. And that's not just from Glomdoring's perspective. I imagine people in Celest would feel similarly. If you can't destroy the Taint in all realities, why bother in your own? If each reality is equally important... then you've lost. You can't hope to affect all timelines.

To have to believe that in the future (at some point) the Glomdoring failed... that just destroys everything. Forgive me for bringing up religious things, but it's like showing a believer that there is no god in one future, and then expecting him to carry on believing in his present. Glomdoring is very religious in this way. And I'm worried/concerned/unsure of how we're meant to accept this kind of move ICly.

Help?

Edit: Ohmygod how exciting! New skillsets! Really, I'm excited! I'm just having a 'Oh god, how can I continue with my rp if this...argh, don't understand. What does this even mean!?' moment. 
  • edited December 2012
    Svorai said:
    I am excited that there are new skillsets on the way, and am grateful for all the work that's been put into them... but I have some concerns about how we can ICly explain away these changes, should they happen. Can I ask whether there will be God-guidance in this, or whether we're to explain it ourselves? Time travel isn't something that's really explained, lore-wise, and it's hard to digest. OOCly, even!

The Glomdoring is centred around a confident outlook of the future. This is, basically, what our entire rp is about. The Wyrd -will- conquer, and that is that. 

The event with Xynthin definitely challenged some of these ideals, but for the most part, we've been able to explain it to / among ourselves and could move on. If we can believe that the present in our timeline is the true timeline, then all is well in the world. If we have to consider that all time/space continuums are valid and true... we should all just pack up and move to Gaudi and waste ourselves in misery, or join Halli and wonder at science. And that's not just from Glomdoring's perspective. I imagine people in Celest would feel similarly. If you can't destroy the Taint in all realities, why bother in your own? If each reality is equally important... then you've lost. You can't hope to affect all timelines.

To have to believe that in the future (at some point) the Glomdoring failed... that just destroys everything. Forgive me for bringing up religious things, but it's like showing a believer that there is no god in one future, and then expecting him to carry on believing in his present. Glomdoring is very religious in this way. And I'm worried/concerned/unsure of how we're meant to accept this kind of move ICly.

Help?

Edit: Ohmygod how exciting! New skillsets! Really, I'm excited! I'm just having a 'Oh god, how can I continue with my rp if this...argh, don't understand. What does this even mean!?' moment. 
    Were Celest to come in with this kind of concern, they would be told quite evenly, "The Light will provide. Have Hope, and the Light shall guide you."

Oh, the mind-boggling possibilities of it all!

(Besides. The WYRD planned it all out. You'll see.)

(Or will you?)
  • I think it's up to you to resolve any existential crisis you may have about these alternate futures! That said, though the event post isn't written yet, I believe it was established that just having the Aquachemancer from the future being here, that the pattens of Fate changed and the dark possible future didn't happen soo... well, decide for yourselves how you RP it!
  • Yeah, I'm like really excited for the new skills(I have been ever since the speculation started around when the doors/visions were happening) and I can't wait to see what the Hartstone get.

I'm already going through our scrolls to note where things are going to need to change and putting the question marks in the advancements where melding was involved. I think for the Hartstone/Serenwilde, it can be enhancing the "Last forest" thing where we have to fight even harder for the forest in this reality because it has been burned down in another, so we must ensure that the ones that branch off from ours continue to grow. The skill that the Hartstone get would then be a gift from another reality because we are still connected to them, and those Hartstone are trying to ensure that Serenwilde still lives somewhere even though theirs does not.

I'm mainly curious about what the druids will get and hoping that it's nice and distinct from each other cause I can't tell yet :'(
  • For those worried about not all the skillsets being released at once, I should note that they are all designed and specced out and, since the mechanics are similar for each, we will probably be able to get them out relatively quickly (barring holiday and end of year stuff, etc.). However, I am sure you will agree, especially as we're dealing with a new primary skillchoice based on a whole new strategy, it is much more desirable to be able to monitor and rework (if needed) one skill rather than six.
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    By the way, shouldn't the spelling be aquakinematics?

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • edited December 2012
    For those interested! This is 83% Fabled. I am sure one of the many alts will beat me to Trans.

Waterbourne         Survive in the most hostile of waters.
    Amphora             Craft a vessel for your liquid reagents.
    Pellucid            A clear and innocuous-appearing liquid reagent.
    Peaceful            Coat yourself in a clear and peaceful sheen.
    Buoyancy            A watery globe that grants bouyancy to those who follow you.
    Humid               A semi-viscuous and condensed liquid reagent.
    Boiling             A globe of boiling water that dampens corruptive energy.
    Virtuous            Mix reagents to create a virtuous and illuminated sheen.
    Bubbling            A light and bubbly liquid reagent.
    Depuration          A reaction between reagents resulting in a cleansing spray.
    Chalice             Craft a conduit for your aquatic aggression.
    Percolation         A reaction between reagents resulting in a evanescent mist.
    Luminated           A reagent composed of liquid starlight.
    Fervid              Mix reagents to produce an intoxicating reactive sheen.
    Chilled             A globe of chilled water can shield against dehydration.
    Dehydration         A reaction between reagents resulting in rapid evaporation.
    Fellowship          A fellowship can bolster reactions to unfathomable degrees.

• Estarra said:
    I think it's up to you to resolve any existential crisis you may have about these alternate futures! That said, though the event post isn't written yet, I believe it was established that just having the Aquachemancer from the future being here, that the pattens of Fate changed and the dark possible future didn't happen soo... well, decide for yourselves how you RP it!
    /waits for the event post.

Also sorry. So nervous about new things. Yay for new skills. 
  • Thank you. Just.. thank you. Don't you dare back out on this! /glee
  • And now I'm wondering how I'm going to differentiate between people with druidry and whatever the hartstone get...

• Saran said:
    And now I'm wondering how I'm going to differentiate between people with druidry and whatever the hartstone get...
    Aand I'm hoping the new skill will still include totem carving.
  • Yeah, mulching and saplings too hopefully.
  • At the very least the sickle or an advanced talisman form. I'd hate to use the wooden one again!
  • This sounds super cool.
  • You look at a radiant chalice that Lorina is wielding:
    Crafted of the finest platinum, this chalice casts the world about it in a shimmering, aquatic light. Ripples and tricks of light play across its surroundings, akin to light passing through water. Its surface has been etched with the imagery of a reef, twisting lengths of polished platinum coral framing five square facings, each holding markings of flowing water. Different from every other facing of this chalice, the markings swirl and whorl in distinct and unique patterns, each offering up the visage of one of the elemental Tide Lords. Set into the coral that frames the goblet are five azure pearls, each shimmering with energy and casting its radiant glow.

Staff replacement in the new skill. Purdy.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Saran said:
    And now I'm wondering how I'm going to differentiate between people with druidry and whatever the hartstone get...
    What will it be named? I must know.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Stagomancy!
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Treegrooviness.
  • Looks like Aquas carry around a mini-Pool around charged with lightessence, so...

Bonsaimancy.

• NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Oh crap, I don't want to switch and have to get another rune for the chalice. Damnit, I don't want to be the only Aqua melder(again) :(
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • I'm excited about a new skillset, but to have all the other guilds wait another month is pure torture honestly. All should be released and then do a special report/balancing after they have been in play, so we can see what works, what's OP and what just comes out to be to weak. This is how it is usually done and works pretty well, but to base the balancing off of one guild is very limiting and unfair to the other guilds who may have worked just as hard on the event but just did not have the population of guild members to compete with the aquamancers.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited December 2012
    Neos said:
    Oh crap, I don't want to switch and have to get another rune for the chalice. Damnit, I don't want to be the only Aqua melder(again) :(
    Pliers!

Finally, a reason for non-warrior guilds to buy pliers as they change their primary spec around.

Isn't it painful? :(
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Xenthos said:
    Neos said:
    Pliers!

Finally, a reason for non-warrior guilds to buy pliers as they change their primary spec around.

Isn't it painful? :(
    I don't even have enough credits/lessons to trans the damn skill. :(
    Halp me Xenthos, you're my only hope.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Jeyn said:
    ... and unfair to the other guilds who may have worked just as hard on the event but just did not have the population of guild members to compete with the aquamancers.
    I'm pretty sure the event was set up the way it was specifically so that the most active guild with the most people to shuffle around skills could be the test dummy while the kinks are worked out.
  • Huh, how interesting. This might actually be the push I needed to see what's up with Lusty again.

Lorina, AB's, please? While I haven't been visibly around, I try to keep my little project up and running still.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Well thank goodness. With druids getting allergies and shamanism, and mages already having 2 entirely exclusive terts....I was starting to think they were being neglected. 

Goodness me, poor underpowered mages. They can stack melds with individual passives now, so that'll save all of us envoys a lot of headaches trying to buff them.

^#(^
  • I'm confused. I mean sure sarcasm, but where's the stacking of melds and passives? 1v1 you're either fighting a mancer or a chemancer. I'd expect that the aquachemantic stuff would go inert if you changed skills while it was up as aquamancy abilities should vice versa.

Unless you're complaining that now, two aquamancers might be able to use watermagics in the same room?
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    One mage has a meld, one mage has the new 1v1 special skills whatever it's called. Stacking mages. Not that psionics didn't already stack brilliantly, of course. What's one more thing.
  • wow... I just looked at the math... aquachemantics is expensive. Hopefully the sheens and globes last a while, I only see one mention of duration.