Aquachemantics Released!

Comments

• For those curious: The new Aquachemetics is based on three principles:
    -Four mists which give Faerie Fire, Recklessness, Vapors and Health/Ego damage passively on a tic.
    -Combining these mists into globes, sheens and other stuff that does basically more of the above plus a couple other afflictions like justice, lust and, oddly enough, fire damage.
    -Buttloads of platinum. Like seriously hundreds of it to put up your defenses, good lord this is a lot of platinum.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    I am disappoint at the lack of turtles. It makes me cry.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • While everyone else (minus @Celina, *brofist*) fangirls over this, I have to say I think the last thing we needed was another (six) skillset(s).
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Triple blackout from tk aquas, guys.

How could this go wrong.
  • Also, hilariously enough, the Buoyancy globe gives the benefits of waterwalking to anyone following you, just like regular waterwalking does, for 25 platinum and some reagents instead of a 12 gold enchantment charge.
  • 370 platinum and 380 essence to put everything up once. Though looking at one of the globes it has a 50 month decay timer on it. 
  • 25 platinum for 50 months of waterwalk is somewhat more reasonable than what I initially thought it was.
  • It's the surging globe (the last globe) that actually mentions it. So I don't know if it's the standard or if it is an exception, i'd lean towards an exception.
  • Got the info, thanks. Will be up in a minute, but the AB's do beg the question - since you lose your Aquamancy spec, does your dragon turtle not retain its Aqua-powers then?
  • Well, the turtle ability does specifically state that's what happens.
  • Clarification is always appreciated considering they're both Aqua-specific specs and oversights can be made.
  • The turtle powers (Teenage mutant ninja turtles, teenage mutant... Oh god look what you've done!) are only for Aquamancers. We may or may not bring it over to Aquachemancers, but we'll see.

All globes and sheens last 50 IG months (which is like 52 RL days).

And I don't know where Iytha got the impression sheens give fire damage - some of the adjuvants do, though.

I know some people want all six skills released at once, but that's not always possible. Indeed, while we do release the new city guilds simultaneously (since it's only 2 at a time), historically new things comparable to this are released one at a time (IE there was a two week gap between bard guilds, much longer between monk guilds).

While it'd be nice to just clap our hands and it all be done, we do want to see how Aquachemantics works in practice. If we need to tweak it, we'll know what needs tweaking for the other specs, and can go from there, prior to them being coded and released.

I'm glad people are excited, I know Est worked really hard throwing them together, design-wise, and Iosai coded Aquachemantics pretty damn quickly (it helps when you have a golden god shrieking "Oh god is it done yet?!" every time he sees you!). I think they all look really neat, and I think every guild is going to be really happy. I think they'll add an interesting new aspect to the Mage and Druid guilds.
  • I'm curious as to, if this new primary is a "steampunk" feel, how will it be for Druids.  While the tensions between city and communes are not so much about technology as accessing planes farther removed from Lusternia, somehow I can't see too much steampunk working for the druids.  I wonder if the new primaries for Druids will be different in some way to keep the feel.
    [BANNERCODE]
  • edited December 2012
    Just stopping in to say that this looks awesome!

EDIT: Also, this sort of concept meshes very well with the Aeromancers especially. I like that. If I come back like I've been entertaining, I'm sure I'd do so especially to try out 'Aerochem'!
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Tully said:
    I wonder if the new primaries for Druids will be different in some way to keep the feel.
    According to the visions, we either summon or turn into Ents. So it looks like it will be not-steampunk for druids. Which I'm fine with. :D

• Qistrel said:
    Tully said:
    I wonder if the new primaries for Druids will be different in some way to keep the feel.
    According to the visions, we either summon or turn into Ents. So it looks like it will be not-steampunk for druids. Which I'm fine with. :D
    Ent ents! What a thought.
  • One thing I'm concerned about is the upcoming Ascension. Will all six new skills be ready before then? Or the war/death challenge?
  • While everyone else (minus @Celina, *brofist*) fangirls over this, I have to say I think the last thing we needed was another (six) skillset(s).
    While there are people who crave 100% perfectly balanced skillsets, or fewer options, creating new things--areas, skillsets, guilds, organizations, events, is what drives people to play.  A lot of bored people decide to come back when there's something different. Lusternia has to keep doing this otherwise things would get stagnant and you'd probably see more people leave than join over time.
    [BANNERCODE]
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I do have to ask if the new skillsets were designed with Psionics in mind.

Psionics allowed mages to function outside of their demesne, simply because it is an extremely strong standalone skillset (it basically allowed ignoring of the entire primary in combat).

I'm hopeful that this was / will be considered when creating a "1v1 strong" skillset aside from demesnes; giving Mages more passive attacks, stacking with their psionic abilities, just seems like something that couldn't help but go wrong to me.

Especially because I have a lot of difficulty envisioning Psionics actually getting toned down in envoy reports, it's always been presented as being the saving grace of Mages. 

Just look at 1 skill in Telekinetics, Vessels.  Vessels are specifically coded so that no matter what if you stay in the room with the Mage they will eventually have enough vessels on you to perform the instant kill.  Period.  Whether or not they use any other abilities to slow your curing down at all.  On top of this, you add in stuns and other hinderers (in psionics already) and you are making this period until assured death shorter.

Then, on top of that, you pile on passive vapors (blackout) and recklessness?

I'm just... I mean, we can wait to see, but... there's a pretty serious potential problem here to me, and that's only including a couple of the skills in the new skillset and how they will stack with what mages already have available to them.
  • Xenthos said:

Psionics allowed mages to function outside of their demesne, simply because it is an extremely strong standalone skillset (it basically allowed ignoring of the entire primary in combat).

I'm hopeful that this was / will be considered when creating a "1v1 strong" skillset aside from demesnes; giving Mages more passive attacks, stacking with their psionic abilities, just seems like something that couldn't help but go wrong to me.

Especially because I have a lot of difficulty envisioning Psionics actually getting toned down in envoy reports, it's always been presented as being the saving grace of Mages. 

Just look at 1 skill in Telekinetics, Vessels.  Vessels are specifically coded so that no matter what if you stay in the room with the Mage they will eventually have enough vessels on you to perform the instant kill.  Period.  Whether or not they use any other abilities to slow your curing down at all.  On top of this, you add in stuns and other hinderers (in psionics already) and you are making this period until assured death shorter.

I'm just... I mean, we can wait to see, but... there's a pretty serious potential problem here to me, and that's only including a couple of the skills in the new skillset and how they will stack with what mages already have available to them.

This more or less falls in the category of "things we're looking to see". There's a lot to watch when creating a new primary spec that seriously alters how they perform as an archetype. If there's something that needs altering, it is much easier to do now while 5/6ths are not yet coded.

That said, we may need to slow down mists or lower the fire rate on retributive. Or we might not.

I'm not sure how different it will play out - its a set of passive afflictions, similar to a meld, though they carry with you and, unlike melds, aren't timetable (advantageously or not, they fire simultaneously). They lack the crowd control and group afflicting power of demesnes. They'll certainly be stronger than an Aquamancer out of their meld, but that's also sort of a given.

I'm not surprised Psionic specs are going to be the most powerful tertiaries for chemancers, though - given the lack of embedded motes/runes, dreamweaving probably isn't very appealing except for flinging motes and runes hasn't been popular for a long time.

Add on the ego drain potential in Aquachemantics, Telepathy seems like a pretty good choice all around.

• Okay! Interesting thing with the Trans ability Aquoxitism (big damage, stun) in conjunction with the ability Fellowship (link with other chemancers, increases radius of adjuvants (like Aquoxitism) by one room per linked chemancer, and increases potency of said adjuvant). In the words of an Aquachem:

"If you could get 5 to link and cast in unison, any enemies all throughout the Great Starry Sea would be pretty much obliterated."

It's like placing Shadowtwist #7 (except for health instead of mana) into a Terror Coven...for all enemies within the range.

Theorycrafting, I know, but still.
    If it's broken, break it some more.
  • Called it.
  • Eventru said:

This more or less falls in the category of "things we're looking to see". There's a lot to watch when creating a new primary spec that seriously alters how they perform as an archetype. If there's something that needs altering, it is much easier to do now while 5/6ths are not yet coded. That said, we may need to slow down mists or lower the fire rate on retributive. Or we might not. I'm not sure how different it will play out - its a set of passive afflictions, similar to a meld, though they carry with you and, unlike melds, aren't timetable (advantageously or not, they fire simultaneously). They lack the crowd control and group afflicting power of demesnes. They'll certainly be stronger than an Aquamancer out of their meld, but that's also sort of a given. I'm not surprised Psionic specs are going to be the most powerful tertiaries for chemancers, though - given the lack of embedded motes/runes, dreamweaving probably isn't very appealing except for flinging motes and runes hasn't been popular for a long time. Add on the ego drain potential in Aquachemantics, Telepathy seems like a pretty good choice all around.
    While I'm not saying that Runes is better than Psionics (it probably isn't) it's definitely much more viable using aquachemetics than it is with normal aquamancy.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    edited December 2012
    Another guild with 100% Divinus damage...

Because that seems like a good idea.

Editted to add for hilarity (cause people need excorable resistance?)

Damage Modifier: 20
    The boiling globe will grant notable resistance to excorable damage.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Imagine that: Celest gets new stuff right before the Seals.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Look at it this way: Celest gets a lack of melders right before the Seals.
  • I'm mainly amused at the fact that the excorable damage resistance is given to a mage guild.

That said, I approve of more steampunkish things. I'm going to look forward to the affliction lines, as the actual ABs don't really scream steampunk to me. Steam sure, but not so much punk.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Qistrel said:
    Tully said:
    Unless they act like Transformers, where the Tree turns into a vehicle...

I can see it now, the Lusternia Transformers, with Horacle as Optimus Prime and Shikari as Megatron.
    [BANNERCODE]
  • Hoar axle Prime (this was an autocorrect, but I like it even more). Fantastic.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink

Kiradawea said:

That said, I approve of more steampunkish things. I'm going to look forward to the affliction lines, as the actual ABs don't really scream steampunk to me. Steam sure, but not so much punk.
    'Mix these two gases together to cause a reaction' seems steampunk to me. But I expect Geomancers and Pyromancers will be more obviously steampunk. (Aeros are going crystaltech?)