Simple questions?

Comments

• To turn a Cooking design into a delicacy, the trademaster has to do DESIGN 123456 TYPE DELICACIES before submitting it. 

Maybe there should be a simple help file listing all the design "types" that each tradeskill has, like Masterweapons for Forging, ModularOrigami/WetfoldOrigami/Kirigami for Bookbinding, and Splendours for Tailoring, that aren't covered by existing patterns.
    Avatar created by the amazing Feyrll.
  • So the gnomish weapons add a new type of damage and an extra attack for every gearbox added... but what type of damage do the weapons do on their own?
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I have so, so many questions about these gnomish weapons. Some for Ianir, some for people who are better at math and know more about the bashing mechanics than I do.

Can we detach gearboxes from them?

How much damage do they do compared to whips?

Are the attacks always of equal size?

Are there any mobs where the split is better than just having a weapon typed for whatever the mob is most vulnerable to?

Adding gearboxes increases your odds of getting a crit, but lowers the size of that crit. Assuming that you have damageshift (I'm assuming you only get the leftover damage from the last crit that hit, and not the whole set. I might be wrong.) where is the split that gives you the best damage overall?

Mostly trying to figure out how these compare to whips. I'm struggling to see situations where one of the two isn't better in most/all situations, but I'm probably missing a mechanic or two that helps with that.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited May 2018
    The best damage overall should be 9 gearboxes, BUT the actual difference should decrease as you add more gearboxes (so going from 0 to 1 would provide the most benefit, whereas going from 8 to 9 will probably be statistically insignificant).

The main effect is that each extra strike spreads out damage more, so the more strikes it is spread to, the less 'waste' there is from overkill.

Note that on a single target with a high health pool this does not really make a difference, it is all about exploiting critical hits on low health mobs and not having your single-attack huge World Shattering carry over to the next mob and utterly wreck it (losing all the overkill in the process).

Edit: We do not know damage in relation to whips yet, but given similar costs for the base item I would personally expect similar damage.
  • MoiMoi
    edited May 2018
    Tridemon said:
    So the gnomish weapons add a new type of damage and an extra attack for every gearbox added... but what type of damage do the weapons do on their own?
    untyped/unblockable
    Portius said:
    How much damage do they do compared to whips?
    gearbox formula is 925 + 25 per additional gear (max 9 gears) for a minimum of 925/3s and a maximum of 1150/3s
    wonderwand is 680 + 30 per additional gem (max 19 additional gems) for a minimum of 680/3s and a maximum of 1250/3s
    whips are a flat 950/3s
    Portius said:
    Are the attacks always of equal size?
    yes
    Portius said:
    Are there any mobs where the split is better than just having a weapon typed for whatever the mob is most vulnerable to?
    yes; anything with low health or which has high resistance to everything
    Portius said:
    Mostly trying to figure out how these compare to whips. I'm struggling to see situations where one of the two isn't better in most/all situations, but I'm probably missing a mechanic or two that helps with that.
    the gnome weapons are indeed usually better than whips (unless you happen to be fighting something with really weird resistances) but usually worse than wonder items vs anything with high health
    Okay, adding additional damage per gear definitely skews things towards more gears being flat-out better vs. just more efficient on low health mobs.  Thanks for the numbers!
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Xenthos said:
    Okay, adding additional damage per gear definitely skews things towards more gears being flat-out better vs. just more efficient on low health mobs.  Thanks for the numbers!
    Sort of frowning sadly at my amazing whip that has served me faithfully for years, now. I liked the idea of these gnomish weapons better when they were a side-grade, not a straight up upgrade.
  • What does flight look like (what are the lines associated with it, I mean) when you do it using enabled rocket boosters on an aethersuit? Does it indicate where they are located?
  • What ways are there of getting out of monolithed rooms that are indoors, with no exit to anywhere else, that don't involve disenchanting the sigil?
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • Kethaera said:
    What ways are there of getting out of monolithed rooms that are indoors, with no exit to anywhere else, that don't involve disenchanting the sigil?
    If there's a door, break it down or ghost/wind through it. You can try burrowing around it too?

Heartstop.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • How do you examine items visible as WARES in a shop? I've forgotten how to look before purchasing.
    Active: Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday EST

Can't you just Probe it?
  • D'oh. That was it. PROBE <#> Thank you!
    Active: Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday EST

• KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited May 2018
    Ianir said:
    Kethaera said:
    What ways are there of getting out of monolithed rooms that are indoors, with no exit to anywhere else, that don't involve disenchanting the sigil?
    If there's a door, break it down or ghost/wind through it. You can try burrowing around it too?

Heartstop.
    What about a room with a reinforced door and stone floor and if you don't have access to heartstop/ghost/wind?

I remember a time from quite a few years ago where someone was trapped in a shop stockroom and was not able to get out until the shop owner or the chancellor awoke.

Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    ISSUE ME End my suffering, O fickle Fates
  • PUNCH ME.
  • Its possible a newbie wont have masochism either. Just in a super super worst case situation.
  • Kagato said:
    Ianir said:
    Kethaera said:

Heartstop.
    What about a room with a reinforced door and stone floor and if you don't have access to heartstop/ghost/wind?

I remember a time from quite a few years ago where someone was trapped in a shop stockroom and was not able to get out until the shop owner or the chancellor awoke.

The places that I mean, I don't believe they had doors either. I had forgotten about heartstop... but considering the difficulty in getting to the rooms in question(literally hours of artifact abuse), it's hard to imagine someone would stumble into it accidentally while being so much of a newbie that they have no ways out. As the newbie, I just wondered cause I could only come up with one way out.

If it comes up once every several years, doesn't seem like a big deal. ISSUE ME still exists. Do you know how someone managed to get trapped in the stockroom?
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • Follow someone in who goes out, at which point the door automatically closes and locks, but they log out.
  • Enya said:
    Follow someone in who goes out, at which point the door automatically closes and locks, but they log out.
    Yeah... that's the only way I know how, too. In which case: Don't do that?
  • Illusory manse, thrown out onto astral. Make your way home.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited May 2018
    Kistan said:
    Illusory manse, thrown out onto astral. Make your way home.
    Still requires that a second person be able to get into the room or that the trapped person have access to that skill.  If someone can teleport in to use the skill, the other person would have just been able to TELEPORT out, assuming they had spent the paltry number of lessons to get to advancedteleport.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Enya said:
    Follow someone in who goes out, at which point the door automatically closes and locks, but they log out.
    The only case I know of this happening was Marcella chasing our FrogDruid* guy into his stores storeroom.

*I'm bad at names, OK. I think he was Salomes kid, and he was the/a High Priest of Manteekan for atleast a little while.
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Do illithoid have ears?
  • Lucaln said:
    Do illithoid have ears?
    I don't think I've ever seen ears on an illithoid npc, and I've seen a few players that specify having "ear pits" in their description instead. So my general understanding is "no", but I could be missing out on some key example.
  • So sorta like a lizard, is what I imagine.
  • edited May 2018
    Lucaln said:
    So sorta like a lizard, is what I imagine.
    More snake/serpent like from what I can tell? 
    Due to interracial breeding you can have "scale covered"/"completely human looking" ears if you want. While not a perfect match, you might google "Yuan-ti" for ideas? 
    They're a D&D race that's a bit different, so not everything will work(you have two legs mechanically, for instance).
    You  might also do EMOTIONLIST SPECIAL to get a list of org/racial emotes, them do EMSHOW [insert emote here] to see what your racial emotes look like. 
    YOu have one or two related to your innerworm/sternum mouth.....

• Sternum mouth?? I found the emotes, they're great and now I need to use them.

This just reinforces that I wish I could see other player illithoid descriptions, though, so I had more idea of what I was doing. What I've found in HELP files and probing denizens so far makes them sound like a venn diagram of snake people, bug people, and morlocks.

Who are some memorable player illithoid of the past that don't really come around anymore? I wonder if their descriptions are still on the website.

• ILLSHIFT/ILLPROBE/ILLHUNGER
    Ask around the GLom to see if any are still active.
    If nothing else some people might have been one at some point. Or remember some distinctive descriptions.