Mercury got you down?

It's that time again. The wind has shifted ever-so-slightly, the collective mood of passersby has changed, and your friends are suddenly snarling beasts from Hell. It is OK. I understand. Mercury is retrograde. 

Avoid foreign mechanical objects and acknowledge visitors from your past. If you are a Virgo or a Gemini, please - accept my condolences through this trying time. 

Use this space to share your Mercury survival stories as they occur, 'cause we'll be living them for a few weeks to come!

If you want more information about this astrological phenomenon, check this out: How to Survive Mercury Retrograde.

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I just tend to rub it into the brims of my hats to stiffen them up.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I just eat a medically inadvisable amount of tuna. 

• I...I thought I learned in Astronomy that Mercury can't go retrograde. Only planets outside from Earth's orbit (Mars onward) can.

-researches furiously-

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Maligorn said:
    I...I thought I learned in Astronomy that Mercury can't go retrograde. Only planets outside from Earth's orbit (Mars onward) can.

-researches furiously-
    This isn't astronomy. 
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited January 2015
    Well, retrograde is actually an astronomical term.

And yes, Mercury can go retrograde. All planets can.

EDIT: Also, I first thought this would be a change to the Mercury comm :( I think I alchemise too much.
    What I meant was it's pointless to try and use astronomy to counter astrology. People believe all kinds of hooey.
    I used to make cakes.

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, like how fugue is unfun!

(couldn't resist)

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Not worthless. Just unfun.

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    fixed

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    I believe that the planets influence me, in the same way that every object in the universe represents an infinitesimal gravitational pull on me. So there is that?

The physical laws of the universe are magical and wondrous enough without turning the sky mauve.
    edited January 2015
    Enyalida said:
    The physical laws of the universe are magical and wondrous enough without turning the sky mauve.
    This I can absolutely get behind. I just don't think human astrology, magic, religion, superstition, or even science (so far) can account for them.

EDIT: But -- and I hope this doesn't sound snide or dismissive because I really feel this way -- I also think people should believe whatever makes them happy and comfortable, because ultimately that's all that matters. 
    I used to make cakes.

Well, agreed. Astronomy and the related pseudo-things can provide useful insight and tools to manage your daily life, if used responsibility.  Please visit a trained and certified medical professional if you detect  mysterious lump etc.

I love my tarot deck, for instance. I find that it helps me to organize my anxieties about potential future events. The meanings I happen to ascribe to the utterly random sequence are picked out for a reason!
  • Just confused. The reason Mars goes retrograde is because when we line up, we orbit faster than Mars, making Mars go opposite of the direction it should go.

Mercury orbits faster than us. So when we line up with it, we would appear to be going retrograde in a Mercurian sky. So...to us...it should (appear) to be moving super faster? Perhaps if Mercury were on the opposite side of the Sun and Earth was lined up with it that way?

edited January 2015
    You're right, it has to do with being behind the sun, basically. Any time the inferior planets are retrograde, you can't see it because of the sun.

EDIT: Pretty sure, at least. It has to do with the speed difference, it just has a slightly different mechanism.
    That's what trusty Wikipedia seems to suggest. :blush:

Inner planets Venus and Mercuryappear to move in retrograde in a similar mechanism, but as they can never be in opposition to the Sun as seen from Earth, their retrograde cycles are tied to their inferior conjunctions with the Sun, and are thus unobservable in the Sun's glare and because the planets are in their "new" phase, with mostly their dark sides toward Earth; they occur in the transition from morning star to evening star.

It happens, but we can't actually see it.
    I used to make cakes.

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited January 2015
    Perfection. I -am- an astronomy genius.

But Astrology is neat. I read a book about it once describing the temperaments of the zodiac and the entry for Pisces was uncannily similar to myself (and am a Pisces). It wigged me out.

• SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Maligorn said:
    Perfection. I -am- an astronomy genius.

But Astrology is neat. I read a book about it once describing the temperaments of the zodiac and the entry for Pisces was uncannily similar to myself (and am a Pisces). It wigged me out.
    A lot goes into your astrological persona, more than just your sun sign. The things that weigh most heavily on who you are and how you act are your sun sign, moon sign, ascending sign, and any significant aspects (conjunction, opposition, square, trine) to your luminary bodies, in addition to the location of the various significant astrological planets (so this includes Pluto!) within the houses of your chart.

... I may or may not professionally do astrological reports.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited January 2015
    Imo, everyone should (at the very, very least) have their natal chart drawn up once in a lifetime.

I may or may not offer this as a free service sometime next week, when I'm blessed with free time. Mmm astrology.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • This has transformed into something amazing. I have always been interested in astrology (and if you knew me IRL, it would surprise you to know that I still know precious little), and I've been meaning to invest more time into crawling deeper down that rabbit hole. 

I would definitely be interested in a natal chart or an astrological report (are they the same thing?). 
    edited January 2015
    Eritheyl said:
    Imo, everyone should (at the very, very least) have their natal chart drawn up once in a lifetime.

I may or may not offer this as a free service sometime next week, when I'm blessed with free time. Mmm astrology.

Moll did a few of these in-game. It was really fun. Then I bored her to death by discussing it with her. RIP Moll.

P.S. I filled this out, but much of it was precisely wrong, and internally inconsistent. And disturbingly persistent about my passionate virility. :-S
    I used to make cakes.

Lisaera said:
    I would definitely be interested in a natal chart or an astrological report (are they the same thing?). 
    All natal charts are astrological reports, but not all astrological reports are natal charts! Natal charts are (like the in-game likeness) an interpretation of how cosmic events influence you as your own person, based on the time and location of your birth.

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
    Lisaera said:
    This has transformed into something amazing. I have always been interested in astrology (and if you knew me IRL, it would surprise you to know that I still know precious little), and I've been meaning to invest more time into crawling deeper down that rabbit hole. 

An astrological report is the interpretation of an astrological chart.

A natal chart is an astrological chart mapping the location of the heavenly bodies at the place and time of your birth. The interpretation of such a chart is called a natal report.
    Eritheyl said:
    Lisaera said:
    All natal charts are astrological reports, but not all astrological reports are natal charts! Natal charts are (like the in-game likeness) an interpretation of how cosmic events influence you as your own person, based on the time and location of your birth.
    Seems we have a disagreement in terminology!
    edited January 2015
    Is it normal to draw charts without interpreting them? I've never drawn the line before chart/report, cos I always do them in tandem.

>_>;

In that way, @Selenity, I can see how your wording makes more sense than mine.

-

Eritheyl said:
    Is it normal to draw charts without interpreting them? I've never drawn the line before chart/report, cos I always do them in tandem.

>_>;
    Sometimes you get someone who goes "I want to interpret it on my own!" or "I think your price is too high, so I'm going to bring it to Madame SoAndSo who said she'll read the chart for $5!" and then they take the chart and go.
    Selenity said:
    Sometimes you get someone who goes "I want to interpret it on my own!" or "I think your price is too high, so I'm going to bring it to Madame SoAndSo who said she'll read the chart for $5!" and then they take the chart and go.
    Sounds like we need to arrange an unfortunate accident for this Madame SoAndSo...

But, yes! Astrology! As much as people like to give it the skeptical eye, and say things like 'Well it's so broad it has to apply for everyone!', I am a firm believer that it can give loads of insight into understanding what makes you tick, far beyond the generic newspaper horoscope.

-

Eritheyl said:
    Selenity said:
    Sounds like we need to arrange an unfortunate accident for this Madame SoAndSo...

But, yes! Astrology! As much as people like to give it the skeptical eye, and say things like 'Well it's so broad it has to apply for everyone!', I am a firm believer that it can give loads of insight into understanding what makes you tick, far beyond the generic newspaper horoscope.
    So when you said you did natal charts, you didn't mean you draw them up, I'm guessing? Because as someone who charges extra to have me draw the chart by hand (ow) and calculate out the positions, etc, from an ephemeris, I would hope you not take that pain upon yourself.

For those interested, ASTRODIENST does a fairly good job at calculating it up. Free Horoscopes -> Chart Drawing, Ascendant. You'll need to know the place, date, and time of your birth for it to be useful. You can put whatever you want in the name columns, they don't really give two hoots.
    edited January 2015
    As an example of what your chart will look like (with my information blacked out, though people will likely figure out my month of birth):

Note the lack of real name --^

Edit: There's also a PDF included that lists all your stuff out in a table with the exact, precise numbers, labeled Additional Tables (PDF).
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    I have no idea what I'm looking at.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"