Lusternia Year in Review: 2014

Comments

• @Saran agreed, I do not believe 1 has ever been done on any grand scale. Sometimes when pockets are added to existing areas, their mobs/quest gets small modern adjustements but that's about it. This is something that has been on my mind but we'll see how feasible it is. As for 2, this is the domain of both staff and staff-in-training. Also, 2 and 3 are definitely related, I agree. Just 3 takes it to a whole new level that sometimes happens but not to the scale you described with those tribes.

@Ssaliss @Ieptix is definitely enough of a meanieface to fit right in with the SDs, he threatened to rollback fancy new colours if we (admin) didn't stop [DATA REDACTED]. And he's often mericless when I and others [DATA REDACTED] for laughs. 

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Let's see, I'm going to have to agree with the character interaction. Between sneering at Snaikka over mushrooms and fangirling with a certain little Bone Seer over history, it's almost too much for my tiny little heart to bear! Definitely keep this up, because it lets us know you guys are paying attention and having fun with us just as much as we want you to. And I can't wait for the climax of the Cog in the Smog arc!

I never really got into aethergoop, I didn't see the point of doing the slivven quest and I'm deeply regretting it after seeing some of the cool things that got put around. An in-game way to obtain it (BESIDES the racetrack or random chance from presents/wheel [please don't remove those, though, it's nice]) would be really neat!

The only new quest I've done is the gulagoyle quest, and I loved it. I'm not the best quester in the world, so I tend to leave the newest ones alone until I think I can handle it, but the mix of difficult ones (birthing eafs while knowing a commune is likely to gank you) and easier ones (gulagoyles!) is really nice.

I was hoping we could get a little more from the Nemach storyline. It seems a bit...well...not as good as the rest of Ascensions have been. We don't know how Nemach did what he did to the Basin, why he wanted to (If he has enough motivation and sentience to recognise Divine by face and try and convert some *cough cough* he should be able to provide a decent, 'more-than-just-fuck-the-basin' plot), or what he was up to all that time in the void.

@Ieptix's quick fixes and ninja-includes have been awesome to see. We actually sell furniture and books!

I'm hoping to see some more Soulless story quests, because they're some of my favourite. Nothing against the Elders and Vernals, but they've gotten plenty of limelight, let's have some bad guy love! Also dying to finally see @Drocilla's godrealm and all the cool things she's been working on!
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Oh man if it's on the table I would be thrilled with an update to the Tosha honors quest. I've been told it's one of the oldest areas/quests in the game, so the dialogue and mechanics of it are super basic. It was always kind of a bummer for me because it makes the monastery lore seem kinda shallow.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited February 2015
    For this past year, my impressions were as such:

- I did not enjoy the promos as much, not because of what they were, but in comparison to promos before. Why is everything now about purchase and purchase? What ever happened to spin the wheel a day, artifact bandits, etc. It feels like the interactive fun of promos is gone.

- I like the mini-additions that have happened, but it seems old problems are being ignored. Im happy we finally got grey moors quest fixed at least, but bugs are piling up.

- I really really -really- hate the idea of the current Overhaul. For some reason so much focus has been placed that the amount of afflictions was the major cause of combat difficulty in the game, but that is only a small part, and it seems to have taken so much of the time from our coders. The reason combat in Lusternia is so overwhelming is the mechanics in place. Understanding how mage demesne work is alone a trying concept, not to mention that no other IRE game has such an overwhelming offensive of passive attacks placed in the area.

- The interactions have been nice and helped us get some much needed answers.

- I loathe the new intro, and want it to burn in a fire. I would happily give a full summary of what additions could be added and how it could become interesting perhaps. I honestly feel Newton was a bad spot to try and focus all this.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I haven't seen it mentioned again (or missed it while skimming - I've been missing a lot of things as I skim these days, so it is entirely possible) - but Mornhai Sanctuary has turned out to be an interesting and lovely little area that isn't just for demifolk/overartied players. It feels very well put together.
  • Yeah. Something I've been missing is a newly-released area geared towards low- to mid-level people. It seems the majority of the new areas coming out are for 80+ or even demigods.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Arcanis said:

- I really really -really- hate the idea of the current Overhaul. For some reason so much focus has been placed that the amount of afflictions was the major cause of combat difficulty in the game, but that is only a small part, and it seems to have taken so much of the time from our coders. The reason combat in Lusternia is so overwhelming is the mechanics in place. Understanding how mage demesne work is alone a trying concept, not to mention that no other IRE game has such an overwhelming offensive of passive attacks placed in the area.

I shall agree to disagree here just for the purpose of disagreeing. MKO has pyros, practically transplanted from Lusternia. That said you are correct, pretty much no IRE has demesne mechanics, although I'll disagree that it's really complicated. The BT had a pretty self-explanatory help file with visual aids and everything. Anyway. As far as overhaul is concerned, it does need to happen. Perhaps the end result won't be all that great, I'm getting some frustrating bits and pieces here and there... for instance, changing how afflictions are cured (I'm looking at you, smoking for aeon and stacking bard aurics on smoke balance, too) but will have to see how it turns out in the end.

What I liked...

Hard to tell what I liked the most, I'm personally not that invested in events. The mushroom stuff seemed a bit lack-luster, as did the whole apocalypse-to-ascension thing this year. I loved the goop promo quite a bit, and not just because I got an air censer that I've been dreaming of getting for quite a while out of it. The chemwoods were an interesting concept, but I feel that those weren't thought out all that great in the end. Keep in mind that if you're going to remove demesne mechanics from mages/druids, people will assume that the spec is more focused on 1:1 combat than the previous ones... and that is something that those particular skillsets appear to fall quite flatly at.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    The woodchems came out in January 2013, not 2014!  There are lots of things to be said on the topic, many of which have been, and a few of which are only with the now two years of perspective on the skillsets - but here is not the place, it's not a 2014 thing!
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Enyalida said:

The woodchems came out in January 2013, not 2014!  There are lots of things to be said on the topic, many of which have been, and a few of which are only with the now two years of perspective on the skillsets - but here is not the place, it's not a 2014 thing!

Ehhh, not enough coffee yet. It happens.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Drocilla for Aqua patron.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Vivet said:

I haven't seen it mentioned again (or missed it while skimming - I've been missing a lot of things as I skim these days, so it is entirely possible) - but Mornhai Sanctuary has turned out to be an interesting and lovely little area that isn't just for demifolk/overartied players. It feels very well put together.

I wanna add more than just an "agree" to this. Mornhai Sanctuary is one of the best new area in the game. It is accessible to stronger midbies, and does not demand you be demigod+. This means that more people get to take part in and experience the area, and it is an area that I would recommend people explore. The quests there are understandable and straight-forward. You're clearly told what you're expected to do, and how to proceed. Furthermore, Cimtri's diary is very well written. So yeah, Mornhai is by far my favourite from last year.

Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Drocilla said:

@Saran agreed, I do not believe 1 has ever been done on any grand scale. Sometimes when pockets are added to existing areas, their mobs/quest gets small modern adjustements but that's about it. This is something that has been on my mind but we'll see how feasible it is. As for 2, this is the domain of both staff and staff-in-training. Also, 2 and 3 are definitely related, I agree. Just 3 takes it to a whole new level that sometimes happens but not to the scale you described with those tribes.

@Ssaliss @Ieptix is definitely enough of a meanieface to fit right in with the SDs, he threatened to rollback fancy new colours if we (admin) didn't stop [DATA REDACTED]. And he's often mericless when I and others [DATA REDACTED] for laughs. 

It's definitely a complex idea. 

The two ideas I can think of are...

If both quests resulted in a consistent change until a counter quest was performed, then perhaps the chief of each tribe might provide direction to help the other until the other tribe has also "won", once both tribes are in this state they could then move to another stage, perhaps some form of competitive hunt, peace talks, war games, something that can only be done when they're not busy with their current "normal" issue. 

Or maybe the Taurians have a tribal council somewhere that could be revealed with its own quests, with the Chiefs being able to be present for it if their difficulties are resolved, perhaps forcing one to be absent by performing the counter quest could be a thing, perhaps if the Ghost Wolves win the counter quest starts with the relevant Cheif at the council looking for help?
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Did the Mornhai bugs get fixed? If so +10000 to it being the coolest place. Looks like it had a lot of effort put in.

I'm wondering why it is on it's own 'continent' though. I wouldn't think it was counted as outside the basin, because it has the Estengare River flowing through it, and so I'd imagine it's just higher in the mountains.

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice

I loved the return of multiple Elders, especially yours, @Drocilla. Very nicely done - and people were panicking all over the place when one Elder after another popped out of the orifice Havens. I also loved the fact that fake-Carakhan was very quick with the emotional responses when I probed about the other Elders who left with 'Her'. Bravo. I wish I could see more of the more 'reclusive' Elders .

ALSO. VIRAVAIN. I've been waiting for Viravain ever since I moved to Glom back in late 2008/early 2009 and I get a lot of enjoyment out of playing while in the Order.

ALSO. MILO. <3<3<3 Who doesn't love Milo?

I love the aethergoop reskins. Plus the fact that my idea for jars of fire(*coughHermoineGrangercough*) got used for the tinderboxes. The Glom-themed mask of esteemed beauty is just lovely. If I were really active at the time it was released I would've done what I could to get the reskins I like. I also echo the sentiment calling for goops to be available in-game. I'd grind for them!

I love seeing all the expansions to the lore from the Vernal Wars. More of them, please!
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Just wanted to add my voice to those on the promotions this year.

I did enjoy the aethergoop.  I enjoyed the ability to reskin artifacts as a different item (though I will admit I would appreciate more choices such as the snowglobe alternative to map which I didn't do because I had a snowglobe already and didn't want to deal with multiples), the ability to obtain artifacts customized to your particular org or style and most of all the small cheap unique items.

However, I did want to echo the concerns that promotions have all turned into what are you going to purchase this month only.  I understand that promotions are supposed to increase income in the game, but I wouldn't mind if there was a bit more promotions that may be taken advantage of for those who have Elite, have stockpiled credits or the like.  It seems like the large awards in many of these promotions require you to spend $100s that month and only get to be enjoyed by a select few.  I think we need a balance between these promotions and promotions which reward all players or just otherwise encourage activity rather than just physical spending on Lusternia's credit interface.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Imo easy solution: swap out elite dingbats for the flavor of the month promotion every month. To scale of course.
  • So, apparently, is everyone. And none of you people have good intentions. :((

You give and you give...
    *throws gauntlet*. I will note that Isune's godrealm has been out for quite some time. And it is gorgeous. :D

I expect bottles of blond hair dye denizens wielding razor sharp choker chakrams @Drocilla
  • A note re: godrealms. I'm pretty sure it has been said before, and definitely was also mentioned during a meet so fair game to reveal: we don't get to make our godrealms willy-nilly the second Estarra releases us onto the world. Every admin taking up a new role, so without a godrealm made by a previous incarnation of the role, has to put in quite the work before they can release theirs, and not of the "design it" type. We're talking approximately the same amount of work it took to get the role in the first place. That's why you don't see all of us new peeps romping carefree through our godrealms, even if we've been very active (ie, would have had time to design them). We're not being lazy getting it done, we're working our asses off earning them.
  • Drocilla said:

A note re: godrealms. I'm pretty sure it has been said before, and definitely was also mentioned during a meet so fair game to reveal: we don't get to make our godrealms willy-nilly the second Estarra releases us onto the world. Every admin taking up a new role, so without a godrealm made by a previous incarnation of the role, has to put in quite the work before they can release theirs, and not of the "design it" type. We're talking approximately the same amount of work it took to get the role in the first place. That's why you don't see all of us new peeps romping carefree through our godrealms, even if we've been very active (ie, would have had time to design them). We're not being lazy getting it done, we're working our asses off earning them.

This is something nice to hear. I believe most of us just assumed godrealms required you to design the rooms and spend X amount of essence. The first being relative easy thing and the real reason there are no new god realms is the gods in question didn't have enough essence to create it.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Drocilla said:

A note re: godrealms. I'm pretty sure it has been said before, and definitely was also mentioned during a meet so fair game to reveal: we don't get to make our godrealms willy-nilly the second Estarra releases us onto the world. Every admin taking up a new role, so without a godrealm made by a previous incarnation of the role, has to put in quite the work before they can release theirs, and not of the "design it" type. We're talking approximately the same amount of work it took to get the role in the first place. That's why you don't see all of us new peeps romping carefree through our godrealms, even if we've been very active (ie, would have had time to design them). We're not being lazy getting it done, we're working our asses off earning them.

Have to agree with @Ayisdra on this, I thought it was just design + essence. That's why I've been busting people to offer lately!
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    You know, I wouldn't complain too hard, personally, if behind the scenes stuff happened less because the divine were too busy rping with us all the time. We love interacting with you guys.

(Ok we all love the work you do too, please to be cloning yourselves and do both)

• Essence does help! Once we start building, it's all pooled up and ready for room-building consumption. :D

Writing rooms is quite time consuming, however. I can't speak for anyone else, but I was scribbling a lot of descs away when I still was leagues away from earning my own realm. I'm sure if I hadn't, it would have taken me even longer to bring my realm out. Earning a realm takes work, writing a realm takes work, and even releasing a realm takes work. Believe me though when I say that we want our realms and our temples as much as you do, if not moreso!
  • Drocilla said:

WIthout getting into too much mega top secret admin detail, essence does play a part but in the making itself, not in the process of acquiring the rights to even start on it. Think of it this way, do you guys honestly think we'd get any bugs, issues, additions, areas, events, etc done if we got all our divine toys "free of charge"? All we'd do is troll interact with you guys whole day long. :P 

You say this like it is a bad thing.
  • I bet it doesn't but I'm also positive you'd all go insane very, very soon without us doing what we do behind the scenes. 
  • Qistrel said:

I'm wondering why it is on it's own 'continent' though. I wouldn't think it was counted as outside the basin, because it has the Estengare River flowing through it, and so I'd imagine it's just higher in the mountains.

It's on the same continent, there is a mystic pathway from EtherSeren to there.
    Not sure how to get there, we originally got there from the Rocs place.....
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Pathways can go between continents, I believe.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Yeah, there are pathways to Icewynd and Liranghsa.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Drocilla said:

WIthout getting into too much mega top secret admin detail, essence does play a part but in the making itself, not in the process of acquiring the rights to even start on it. Think of it this way, do you guys honestly think we'd get any bugs, issues, additions, areas, events, etc done if we got all our divine toys "free of charge"? All we'd do is troll interact with you guys whole day long. :P 

I assume that you also have to put in admin work points(yes, that is officially a thing) for order pets/items/shinies, yes?
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Siam said:

Drocilla said:

I assume that you also have to put in admin work points(yes, that is officially a thing) for order pets/items/shinies, yes?
    Everything a God puts out in their order, they earned through hard work elsewhere. #NoFreeLunch