Lusternia Year in Review: 2014

Yes, it's coming a little later this year, but please check out the 2014 Year in Review for last year's recap.

Comments

• I don't suppose you could actually share that that one archetype that hasn't been released yet is?
  • It's a seeeeccrrreettttt!!
  • It's the shoe-pulter.
  • We know something required the removal of the tridents, I always pictured whale riders or something.  Though something like a gladiator or something might also fit.

Gaudi still needs their monks, we don't need the next archetype yet (or are the new cities not intended to get monks and only the new one? Oh Nil).
  • Malarious said:

We know something required the removal of the tridents, I always pictured whale riders or something.  Though something like a gladiator or something might also fit.

Gaudi still needs their monks, we don't need the next archetype yet (or are the new cities not intended to get monks and only the new one? Oh Nil).
    If Tridents were removed then obviously the last archtype would be dentists.

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Malarious said:

This gives me a question. When you had to set aside that last archetype, how developed was it? Did you have all the guilds and their skills plotted out?

'Cause, you know, we do have classflex now so we don't actually need the population to support a full guild to have a class available.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    edited February 2015
    I had immense fun being a trident-wielding merian cavalier for the +-5 days we were allowed to be one.

Some sort of retarius-like class? Would gladiators be different enough from warriors?

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Portius said:

Malarious said:

This gives me a question. When you had to set aside that last archetype, how developed was it? Did you have all the guilds and their skills plotted out?

'Cause, you know, we do have classflex now so we don't actually need the population to support a full guild to have a class available.
    But who would be the arbiters of classflex perms? You gotta get the guild's permission, then pay 200 lessons to even select any of their skills.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    City patrons or council.
  • As @Estarra once said (and please correct me if im wrong), all class concepts were considered long ago and we can see elements of this, for example the portrait of the trill race shows us what Institute players would utilize (floating gems) long before they were even implemented.

If I recall this correctly, it was once said one of the current archetypes we see is an incomplete version of what they would have been, which makes me assume it was split off into 2 archetypes.
  • Portius said:

Malarious said:

You really wouldn't need any one's permission. It could be like cartels. If you're in an org you get the permission.
    The only thing that kind of bugs me is that warriors prime skill is called knighthood. In my mind warrior does not equal knight. Kind of makes me wonder if there was going to be a warrior/knight 'division' between communes and cities, like the druid/mage and wiccan/guardians ones, but they dropped the idea at some point.

• Steingrim said:

Portius said:

Malarious said:

You really wouldn't need any one's permission. It could be like cartels. If you're in an org you get the permission.
    The other option is a quest to earn permission, I'm tempted to even suggest the epic quest or something similar, as it would be a handy mechanic to tie it to.

Though I feel like that might then require the class to be themed heavily on the org itself. Like the class for Serenwilde would be the dae'Seren, the Chosen for Celest, and well... some of the others don't work as well >_> 

Their core mechanics would be the same under an archetype, perhaps theming around their bond with the defenses of their org?
    If they wanted to go the quest route and not tie it to the epic, they could pick any with related fluff. One of the undervault quests if Keph/Ilith influenced or the Tosha quest if we get our dream of lobomonks. Could make a quest related NPC the tutor as a special case to deal with not having any guild members to teach.

I just wanna be a monk, basically.
  • While potentially cool, I guess... that kinda feels like a rogue which is against the design of the game. Where as having it be either the epic or something like it means that it's both something that you earn and something that can be taken away (i.e, if you leave you lose access immediately)

You should be able to monk soon, though... maybe if a guild is undesirable then the collective can bestow on you the right?
  • We're missing rogues...Like the archetype, not the state of being without a city/commune. We even have daggers in spite of Telekinesis being the only skill to use them.
  • Stealth monks take that class concept, imo. Sneaky people who stab people in the back... with a huge metal chain or claws, of course, but don't sweat the details.

• I think one other issue I suppose is that most weapon classes, unless they're kata weapons, can kinda be argued at a weapon spec for knighthood. Like even dual-daggers or archery seem like they could be working into it if desired. 

I really want a dae'Seren class now that I've thought about it, and they should wield spears and the blue flames of Glinshari.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    I vaguely recall @Estarra mentioning something in the old forums about unreleased warrior specs as well. I think they were...net-users, shield-users,and trident users?

Also, I thiiink the unreleased archetype may be archers? But please let them be gunslingers/mages. Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

Aren't Geochemists gunslingers? Running around with magnums...

All the guns I can think of in game:

Conventional
    Geochemmancers-Magnum

Beam
    Aerochemancers-Beam Generator
    Researchers-Void Blaster

Flamethrowers
    Pyrochemancers-Pyrocannon

There might be others that I don't know about off the top of my head. But personally I would find a dedicated gunslinger class beyond the chems very appealing, either as a gun kata type variant monk or as a ranger class. Ideally a ranger class that was archery for communes and gunslinging for cities.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Druid cudgels are basically shotguns that fire splinters/bugs.

• I guess there's two ways to look at it.

Yes, they're gunslingers because they... well... sling guns... >_>

No, they're not because being a gunslinger/archer isn't just a matter of wielding such a weapon but that such a weapon is heavily integrated into the mechanics of their skills.
    For this I would contrast Tahtetso to the various Mancy and Druid specs, each of them offers a staff/cudgel as a weapon for you to use, however Tahtetso is more the level of integration I would expect from a dedicated class.

For those that know pathfinder, the concepts I'd like to see are the Occultist and/or the Magus, though I can see the argument that the Magus is kinda the chemantics maybe... but not quite.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Let us curb this conversation by saying....

There's two cities that don't have the full set of five guilds, and you want to add a completely different archetype? How about no?

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    We could just delete the extras *ducks and hides*.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • This isn't 'Let's add more." it's "I wonder what it could be."
  • Yeah, like... we've known that a mystery final archetype exists for years so obviously people would be curious as to what that archetype might be.

I doubt anyone really hopes or expects that this archetype would be released before the remaining monks, but it's still fun and interesting to imagine what they might be.

Right now, I'm imagining a Grid Lord class that like... goes into the grid, wirelessly links things (guns ^_^) to the grid and then inserts code into the power subroutines of the grid to enable them to utilise the power that is lost via certain processes in the grid or otherwise unused. Of course, that's just theme. 
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    GUN MAGES PEOPLE. Pew pew! I approve of a dedicated gun mage class. They could choose between rifles, hand guns, dual handguns, and large gattling guns. ALL orgs should have them, not just cities. Why are you dumping boring archery on us?!
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback