Tweets not Tweets.

Comments

• edited February 2015
    As far as I understood it, the elemental planes were also completely natural within the context of Lusternia, with earth of course being tainted because of the cities, there was a flow of energy between prime and elemental through ethereal.

That natural flow through ethereal is where the balance comes in, its where nature takes the basic elements melds them together. Mages exist in the first place because the first Aquamancers were seeking to heal the seas and by drawing directly on the plane of Water they were able to do so. 

Their methods, however, are very obviously unnatural and unbalanced, it would obviously be far better for them to become students of druidry and to then seek out a great spirit that would teach them how to bond with the oceans of the world through nature rather than forcibly drawing the elemental powers directly to the prime plane. Perhaps the Dolphin spirit for Ocean druids? /forumrp?

That being said, I'm also not sure why you'd put the rift in the meadows and not like... from just outside the city to the room adjacent to the relevant elemental gate on ethereal.

I'm willing to bet that right now is probably actually the best time to work out some form of IC resolution to this issue. The simplest option could be a society of some form "Pathfinders" perhaps? 

Each org could sign up and have a delegate on the ruling council of the clan, and there could be an "Enforcement" branch whose responsibility it is to hunt down those who unweave official rifts and paths. They would only really concern themselves with the various hubs and if it becomes an entity then orgs could include something regarding punishments for disrupting their rifts?

EDIT: In fact I'd probably toss money at the clan if it'd get people to shut up
  • tl;dr of Lerad's post, to the best of my ability

Being a jerk IC doesn't make you a jerk OOC, but if you're being a jerk OOC and giftwrapping it in IC justification then you're messed up.

Also he reminds us that Arcanis started this. It's funny how that guy goes from CL of Glom, Glom goes to basically nil players, and he moves on to Mag to poison the atmosphere there too.

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited February 2015
    My own two cents:

A. New Celest and its zeal against Magnagora makes removing their rifts OK to me. Griefing them, however, is not.

B. Everyone who is griefing Mag's rifts right now -does- have IC justification -- Magnagora tried to make an ultimatum on the public newsboard without a leg to stand on to support themselves. Moreover, they refused to address the actual problem.

EDIT: Note my use of "they". While opinions might conflict in Magnagora internally, take a guess who is representing Magnagora in both politics and military might.

C. This game is driven by conflict. Conflict, clash, opposition. If certain people want to wipe rifts and pathways off the face of the earth because of some gross sense of entitlement, that's fine. But the fallout from the rest of the angry players should be expected. Inb4 Magnagora gets Shallam'd.

• "Without a leg to stand on" - I have absolutely followed through with every threat I've ever made on the public newsboards. I don't know waht you're talking about. The deaths to icediggers will just become more common if this continues.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Shuyin said:

IE scrubs or lazy people who don't survey.

I just wanted to point out that for rifts, survey won't show anything unless you are trans planar. It's something that's easy for us omni-trans folks to forget about.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods

Until no one uses the rifts and they go away?
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Maligorn said:

My own two cents:

A. New Celest and its zeal against Magnagora makes removing their rifts OK to me. Griefing them, however, is not.

B. Everyone who is griefing Mag's rifts right now -does- have IC justification -- Magnagora tried to make an ultimatum on the public newsboard without a leg to stand on to support themselves. Moreover, they refused to address the actual problem.

EDIT: Note my use of "they". While opinions might conflict in Magnagora internally, take a guess who is representing Magnagora in both politics and military might.

C. This game is driven by conflict. Conflict, clash, opposition. If certain people want to wipe rifts and pathways off the face of the earth because of some gross sense of entitlement, that's fine. But the fallout from the rest of the angry players should be expected. Inb4 Magnagora gets Shallam'd.

It turns out the voice of reason and diplomacy and taking the highroad is an overwhelming minority. I've tried, but I'm just a corrupt power monger trying to achieve my own ends in anything I do at the moment. :(

• Marcella said:

"Without a leg to stand on" - I have absolutely followed through with every threat I've ever made on the public newsboards. I don't know waht you're talking about. The deaths to icediggers will just become more common if this continues.

And your "uber essential novice rifts" continue to be unraveled. Nobody -needs- those rifts except Magnagora apparently. It's Mag that's losing out on this.

• Lavinya said:

Maligorn said:

My own two cents:

It turns out the voice of reason and diplomacy and taking the highroad is an overwhelming minority. I've tried, but I'm just a corrupt power monger trying to achieve my own ends in anything I do at the moment. :(
    Sounds like a good reason to move to Hallifax. We even have a Voice of Reason.

Guild Envoy: Maligorn (The Voice of Reason)

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Magnagora didn't have rifts for almost the entire time Equinox had an upper hand (thanks Inagin!), this is just a phase that people haven't figured out how to handle yet because they got all comfortable.

PS. Still waiting for the Auseklin justification for why Rifts are evil but pathways are ok.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    Enyalida said:

Mystic pathways are the secret and mysterious paths of nature itself, something I've always dreamed up as being distinctly Auseklisian ("Hey guys, look at this shortcut I found, exploring!") The unweaving message is... oddly the same as the gate unweaving one, but path forging makes this abundantly clear.  Ideologically, pathways do not bridge  separated planes, nor do they more closely draw together the elemental and ethereal planes. They increase the unity and add to the web of connections spanning the Prime plane. It's quite the opposite of being backwards from [my interpretation of the few things survivng from] Auseklis, or from the teachings of Hart.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Silvanus said:

PS. Still waiting for the Auseklin justification for why Rifts are evil but pathways are ok.

Because do what I say, not as I do.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Silvanus said:

She already answered this.

I don't even care about rifts, I just show up every now and then to try and kill people. Anywhere I really need to get to, I have ways besides rifts and such to get to them. I don't go to Icewynd or Lirangsha or any of those other places, so lack of rifts to them affects me none.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
    Here is her first quote on the subject:

" Furthermore, it's un-Auseklisian to depend on the shortcuts and paths other people have made, especially as a youngster. "

Here is her justification:

"Mystic pathways are the secret and mysterious paths of nature itself,
    something I've always dreamed up as being distinctly Auseklisian ("Hey
    guys, look at this shortcut I found, exploring!")"

Pathways are created by other ecologists, as she states in her post 12 days ago. To use the Pathways is to use a shortcut, you aren't exploring a new shortcut, you are exploring a path already trodded. That's what the whole skill is about. You didn't find the shortcut, someone else did and created the Hub.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    edited February 2015
    Enyalida said:

Mystic pathways are the secret and mysterious paths of nature itself, something I've always dreamed up as being distinctly Auseklisian ("Hey guys, look at this shortcut I found, exploring!") The unweaving message is... oddly the same as the gate unweaving one, but path forging makes this abundantly clear.  Ideologically, pathways do not bridge  separated planes, nor do they more closely draw together the elemental and ethereal planes. They increase the unity and add to the web of connections spanning the Prime plane. It's quite the opposite of being backwards from [my interpretation of the few things survivng from] Auseklis, or from the teachings of Hart.

That first thing I said was wrong, sorry. I accidentally was echoing my confusion about "Our novices must be independent/our novices need to use the rifts we made for their convenience" statements, whoops. You win 5 points, whee!

Anyways, you had the gist of the whole thing right @Silvanus: It has zero to do with novices or newbies or whatever, it's just a convenience that mysteriously only Magnagora (and more quietly Gaudiguch) need, for reasons. Just as we don't 'own' the Crystal Meadows, and cannot expect people to leave it rift free all on their own... Magnagora doesn't 'own' that area, and can't expect that their totally voluntary, totally unnecessary  expendatures of effort - when they are forewarned and know full well that that effort will be undone - won't be undone. 

That said, there is a case to be made that more tightly connecting the rogue bits of Ethereal to Prime is not a bad thing, as long as those prime spots aren't org/tainted territory. 

EDIT: If it's not clear, I'm just going to keep quoting myself as long as the same question keeps getting repeated, instead of typing out the same thing over and over. :P
  • Maligorn said:

tl;dr of Lerad's post, to the best of my ability

Being a jerk IC doesn't make you a jerk OOC, but if you're being a jerk OOC and giftwrapping it in IC justification then you're messed up.

Also he reminds us that Arcanis started this. It's funny how that guy goes from CL of Glom, Glom goes to basically nil players, and he moves on to Mag to poison the atmosphere there too.

Magnagora's playerbase had been gutted way before @Arcanis joined the city in regards to quality role-players.

Metagaming has been a far worse detriment overall then the breech of IC/OOC barriers. Who cares how a person is in real life or how that relates to their in-game character... Just play the game.

However, to be honest, I find forum activities/discussion much more interesting than in-game conflicts. It is unfortunate that it's given (or giving) Lusternia a 'bad' reputation and it isn't doing much to help expand the number of players. (ie, all the negative comments) - - Look at this way, there's more arguments/conflict over rifts and pathways than who's going to win True Ascendance at the end of the month.

Every time I have thoughts of coming back to play a bit, I spend a few minutes reading these wonderful discussions and think... 'nope... not for me.' Thanks for the reminder!
    So, you have been destroying rifts that go to Hallifax and Celestian planes as well?

Or is it just your enemies?

I'm just trying to find the consistency in your RP that you use to defend your jackassery.

And you can keep quoting the same thing over and over, but you  just said the first thing was wrong, you contradicted yourself from 12 days ago, and you fail in backing up your own RP. Here, once again, to quote you ahead of time:

" I (the character) object to the use of Ethereal as a hub-plane for cities, especially due to the linking of Ethereal to the outer planes, especially due to the linking to the Earth plane in particular."

So, I hope you  have destroyed Celest and Hallifax rifts as well, or will destroy them if they put them up, or were at least consistent about them at all in any point.

But we all know you haven't been, and that this is a recent development by your characters long standing Auseklin RP. Here is a much better answer that you should've said, because it is actually honest and not hiding behind some terrible roleplay justification: I am an asshole and I don't care about you or your damned feelings.
    edited February 2015
    There are no rifts heading to Hallifax or Celest or their  planes (that I'm aware of), but I would, yep. Twas I who denied some of Celest's applications to have gates on our ethereal territories, after all. 

Thanks for the vote of confidence, though!

EDIT: Anyone who has been paying attention in Seren should know that I'm not uber-friendly towards Hallifax and Celest, for all that they're our allies. I tend to warn people a lot about falling victim to the seductive Light, and pointedly hover around loitering Celestians.
  • edited February 2015
    Edit: Nothing to see here. I'm slow.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • Enyalida said:

There are no rifts heading to Hallifax or Celest or their  planes (that I'm aware of), but I would, yep. Twas I who denied some of Celest's applications to have gates on our ethereal territories, after all. 

EDIT: Anyone who has been paying attention in Seren should know that I'm not uber-friendly towards Hallifax and Celest, for all that they're our allies. I tend to warn people a lot about falling victim to the seductive Light, and pointedly hover around loitering Celestians.
    Probably because we don't 'need' them like some people are claiming they do.
    ヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ☂ ɪᴛs ʀᴀɪɴɪɴɢ sᴀʟᴛ! ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ☂                                ヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`

• To be honest, while yes there should not really be extra gates to the elemental planes and any link with earth is at best undesirable but it is flawed to argue that ethereal should not be linked with them.

It is the natural state of the ethereal plane to be linked with the elemental planes, this should have become rather evident with the events following the return of Hallifax and Gaudiguch. 

Whatever city magics sealed away the planes of Air and Fire disconnected them from ethereal and maintained the separation, shortly after this barrier was removed the ethereal was plagued with issues until the planes were fully connected again. 

As such it seems rather evident that the ethereal plane itself seeks its connection to the ethereal planes, I had thought that there was likely some magic in place to placate the ethereal plane while Air and Fire were absent that was shaken loose by their return and what we saw was what had been happening on the plane prior to this... patch.

Of course, that being said, these are natural pathways and are balanced. One could argue if they wished that increasing the number of pathways between the ethereal and elemental planes, especially in an imbalanced way, could potentially lead to issues if these natural flows of energy through ethereal were redirected and the like, but that is I feel a more justifiable argument than trying to say that they shouldn't be linked. 

The links between ethereal and prime are of course a different matter, there is of course convenience, however ethereal is inextricably part of the physical world and the closeness of the two could be viewed as a positive, allowing perhaps the fae and nature strength (no evidence just rp thoughts). 

Of course, Serenwilde would likely wish that places touched by cosmic energies or potentially other unnatural spaces would not be linked in such a fashion, so that these influences can be kept away from the ethereal plane. That being said, Saran personally believes that all mortals are inherently flawed and even those who wish to follow nature have a hard time accepting that they are not the masters of nature but its servants.

Regarding Auseklis and pathways...
    Pathways and rifts through natural locations are effectively the same thing. They are methods for enabling people to explore the natural world, while the inexperienced and experienced explorers alike benefit from them the difference between these two groups is that the experienced explorer should know BOTH the shortcut and the "long way".

That being said, Auseklis is kinda irrelevant here. Like... he's rarely brought up, the impacts that he had on the commune itself seem to be dismissed or replaced, and then he's used to justify stuff like this...

Like I want him to come back and be all "THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEANT"

As a side note:
    I would absolutely love to see more minor/demi elemental planes hovering about in the hazy border between ethereal (where matter breaks down into spirit) and elemental (where the break down continues into the very basic elements) to extrapolate on that process and give us some really cool planes to explore. 

I would absolutely love to walk a path through ethereal where the other elements slowly recede and give way to water (maybe billabongs and ponds, leading to streams and rivers, and then eventually reaching to an ocean before finally linking to water itself) of course, this would be its own fleshed out area as opposed to just the corridor, perhaps where many water fae gather? With also the possibility of other between sections (mud, smoke, ice, mist, etc) 
    Enyalida said:

Well good on you! Sorry for being so invasive, I didn't recall any specifics from Ironhart days, but, I do forget a lot so that is no surprise. Apologies again if serious.

@Taevyn We just got too used to winning all the time
  • Silvanus said:

Enyalida said:

Well good on you! Sorry for being so invasive, I didn't recall any specifics from Ironhart days, but, I do forget a lot so that is no surprise. Apologies again if serious.

@Taevyn We just got too used to winning all the time
    Oh I see.
    ヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ☂ ɪᴛs ʀᴀɪɴɪɴɢ sᴀʟᴛ! ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ☂                                ヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`

• edited February 2015
    While OOC headaches are a pain, I've found it quite easy to completely let the entire thing fly over my/Vent's head. Vent doesn't say whether one thing is right or not, the most he does is make sure people understands he is loyal to Magnagora, and to a further extent, Marcella. Beyond that, however, he's still just writing his book because 'nope not my problem'. And to her credit, she's not tried to shanghai anyone who doesn't want to into joining her crusade, which makes her leagues above most people.

Taevyn is still an ass though, for unrelated reasons.

EDIT: When I say Vent is loyal to Marcella, it's more like his true loyalty lies with the council and city leader, although he likes Marcella, along with a bunch of other people. But we don't have any side in this.
  • Ventidius said:

While OOC headaches are a pain, I've found it quite easy to completely let the entire thing fly over my/Vent's head. Vent doesn't say whether one thing is right or not, the most he does is make sure people understands he is loyal to Magnagora, and to a further extent, Marcella. Beyond that, however, he's still just writing his book because 'nope not my problem'. And to her credit, she's not tried to shanghai anyone who doesn't want to into joining her crusade, which makes her leagues above most people.

Taevyn is still an ass though, for unrelated reasons.
    @Marcella did something pretty amazing in my book. She got kicked out and made a come-back all the way to CL while dissing the Big M. I don't think anyone has ever done that in the history of the game. Revan, even with his reputation, couldn't get back. But then again, he went up against Lusty's #1 all-time, favourite player and lost.

If I were her, my end game would be to have him removed from the Pantheon and kicked out. She would win Lusternia. That's the ultimate high and epicness. It's one thing to do it to an inactive Divine but to go full charge on an active one. Wow.... Hardcore. (She should get an honours line if that happens.)

And from my count, she's halfway there...

Looking forward to hearing it here on 'Tweets Not Tweets' in a couple of months.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Define active :(

• edited February 2015
    Maligorn said:

tl;dr of Lerad's post, to the best of my ability

First off, excuse you? If you want to insult me, try to direct it at me and not attempt some passive aggressive form of bullcrap. Secondly, when I went to Glom, it was already 'dead', with many of its top players having either left because of a certain divine's involvement, or others simply gone dormant. I put in -alot- of time and work to try and bring it up, which, if you werent too obsessed with your own vendetta, you would notice that as the leader, Glom gained 5 villages and reached 'empire' status. Heck, if Karlach was still around, he would attest how he and I and sometimes Camberre would rush into a village and lock it down so as to claim it for Glom. Afterwards, when some of my friends went dormant, I saw no point to bother with the playerbase left there nor any reason to work so hard for it.

Dont go throwing your toxic bullcrap my way because you have a personal issue with me, and use correct facts without attempting to fabricate your own.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Can attest to the point following "secondly", though I'm by no means a top player.
  • Lavinya said:

Define active :(

Active as in popping up time to time and say "Hi, peeps!"

No lie... I was expecting the Big M to show up like Stephen Amell and be like 'you have failed this city!" and open the ground in order for all manner of crazy to spew forth onto the streets after that election. Heck, it would have been nice to have Gorgulu <<rift>> himself into the city and just start eating people for a couple of months.
This discussion has been closed.