No-Stat Race System

Comments

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited May 2015
    Because 3 posts later you suddenly don't want to derail the thread? This whole thing is just amazingly disingenuous, I feel like I need a bleach scrub down. There's at least some integrity in admitting to trying to incite the forums masses and acknowleding how that might not be conducive to the communication you're pleading with the admin to not let fall apart..

• So does 2/10 health regeneration mean 20% health regenerated per round? If so that sounds pretty crazy for Taurians.  If I remember the equations right, current level 3 regeneration maxes out at 7.5% health per round not counting enchants and class skills.
  • Winnae said:
    So does 2/10 health regeneration mean 20% health regenerated per round? If so that sounds pretty crazy for Taurians.  If I remember the equations right, current level 3 regeneration maxes out at 7.5% health per round not counting enchants and class skills.
    No. It's 1% per 10 seconds per level.
  • edited May 2015
    A rather late question @Baelor:

For kephera is the hive thing completly gone then? No differences at all between male and female kephera either?

And for illithoid and kephera both: No mindsense anymore? No special race names when Cthoglogg or Zenobia has been empowered or one has done the honour quest?

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    The special names will probably stay if they keep the spec names for the other races. But they haven't said yet if that will be the case or not.

• There is a retained difference in gender, it manifests itself at two stages.

At the tier 5 perks (or Demi+ as they're being referred to) it acts differently for males and females.

Also there are unique perks for Zenobia and Cthoglogg being raised and empowered (Royal Kephera and Dark Reapers are still a thing!) the Kephera one has a strong female bias, as is expected in such a matriarchy, which replaces the current hive system.

Unfortunately, Mindsense, in the form it had, has gone the way of the dodo. This wasn't due to forgetfulness, but mostly due to various other abilities making it such a defunct skill, there was a chance to create something different with it.
  • Forgive me if I missed it somewhere, what are the 5 tiers? I thought there would have been only 4 - levels 1, 25, 50, Demi.  Or was there something going to be at 75 for a fourth, and making demi the fifth?

Also, although it doesn't say, so I assume the answer is no but does buying this artifact unlock the demi trait early/for free (beyond the cost of the artifact) and thus no weight/essence cost?
  • The four tiers are 0, 25, 50, Demigod and the fifth tier which players have referred to as Demigod+

It will unlock the demigod perk for those not a demigod, as to unlocking it normally, there was a post on the previous page that updated how this will be dealt, and the mention that there will be other replacements for the now defunct endowments.
  • As an aside, I've incorporated the demi+ perks to the original overhaul proposal now and included some notes on actual effectiveness for Lucidian and Orclach. More will be coming soon if they pop up.
  • Igasho forced movement that bypasses summon resist and breaks walls and blocking.

Some guild/skill combinations give bards a hard time but giving an entire race bard immunity seems harsh.

• It's still bound to the laws of perfect fifth the same way tackle is. You can't tackle the bard out with you if you're p5'd, someone else can do it for you, but you can't do it yourself.
  • Feeling meh about the lucidian active power regeneration increase - it's bound to create some headaches with balancing certain power moves, and we won't really know which can be exploited to unacceptable levels until someone actually figures it out and puts it in action. I guess we could nerf those cases as they come up, but.. meh.

25% reduction to mana drains on top of 50% reduction of mana usage is... fairly damn good, sheesh. Very situational, but damn.

Question: What will happen to Kephera who run out of ego while taking damage? For forcefield users, they get burnt out and lose an entire skillset, do kephera... lose their armour for a period equivalent to burnout time? Secondly, will the ego burnout arties affect Kephera armour burnout (halve burnout time etc)?

• edited May 2015
    Tae'dae: BEARHUG can now be used on denizens, if used on a player under 33% health affected by collapsed lung it slays the player outright. (Note: Collapsed lung is a placeholder until the Knight overhaul is complete and we have a confirmed heavy blunt chestwound)

Does this get a shiny deathsight message?! Pretty please with cherry on top! (it'd be awesome!)

@Skye: Maggots should have a high insanity level as default. :P
  • Baelor said:
    It's still bound to the laws of perfect fifth the same way tackle is. You can't tackle the bard out with you if you're p5'd, someone else can do it for you, but you can't do it yourself.
    Given how useful and some might say required gust is there seems like they'll be a huge mechanics pressure to want people to have this ability in groups. This does seem a bit much.
    I'm not sure I like that a bunch of races get universal damage buffs/resistances. Makes me feel like fink is now a bad choice for bashing compered to elfen, merians, humans. :( Or am I putting too much emphasis on that stuff?

• BEARHUG already has a unique deathsight in the game.

Kephera will take damage as normal should they hit zero ego, soon as they have ego again, theyll continue to convert. We're not going to force burnout on a non toggleable ability that doesn't lock channels.

There's going to be pressure to have several races in groups, I was enjoying watching the Envoys channel last night after details were released here, and watching how they couldn't decide which race to be.

Finks aren't necessarily a bad choice, they don't have a damage bonus like other races, but that doesn't stop you getting damage bonuses from other sources and skills. They'll have a slight edge over you, until you jump into Aetherspace, no one should say no to a Fink gunner in Aetherspace.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited May 2015
    Echo concerns about active power regen.

Is the viscanti sickening breath on command, or tied to the 5% chance? Sickening doesn't do that much, but it does interfere with curing plague and paralysis. 

EDIT: I'm also not a fan of the -wood effects. The secondary bursts (Bluehorn, Hartpine, etc.) are worse than useless, and adding another modifier boost is of dubious use now... and if things are changed such that having max affs results in enough damage to potentially kill the average demigod, it'll make balancing it that much harder.
  • It's AoE on command, yes.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I guess I'm curious which skills are balanced around the necessity of limited power regeneration. Inquisition comes to mind, and that could be addressed by the envoys easily enough (though, and call me a cynic, I doubt the Celest envoys will ever be bothered to do it), maybe toad, and of course serpent would need a cool down like Gpent. 

For it to be imbalancing, rather than just a useful perk, the kill method would need a setup that requires power and a kill method that requires power, and the sum total has to be more than 10 with the caveat that they couldn't regain power through the 8 second power tic. I, personally, don't see it as a huge deal. 
  • edited May 2015
    Is the Viscanti room-poison still going to be the same as the Geomancer meld effect? It's pretty lacklustre if that's the case.

EDIT: Also, will it be gustable?
  • Baelor said:

There's going to be pressure to have several races in groups, I was enjoying watching the Envoys channel last night after details were released here, and watching how they couldn't decide which race to be.

Several in groups (doesn't seem so if you remove the more org specific ones)? I'm not talking about things that give personal advantage. I am saying it looks like it makes groups better and it seems that it may be too much of an advantage in groups.

P.S. The other potential issue introduced is by giving realm-wide afflicitions (affliction, slickness, etc) class balancing may become broken.
  • While CARRY has certainly immense strength in groups, it's weaker in small skirmishes and questionable in use in a one on one scenario. There's no skills that will be universally amazing in every degree. The closest exception would be the Humans, who were designed to be a race for (almost) all circumstances, but their bonus is beaten out by a drunken dwarf, a Faeling or Elfen in natural terrain, or a Merian with a sizeable squad behind them.

What this has offered combat is a complete shakeup of the meta, not just in race choice but tactics, classes that offer new battlefield control that causes disruption to old tried and proven ways of fighting that were, frankly, beginning to make the whole thing a bit stale.

I'm completely fine with this, as it was an intended effect of the overhaul with regards to PvP. If individual skills are too strong, and it's not simply synergy with certain skillsets that could (or probably should) be adjusted themselves, we'll come back to this and change it.

Also the way Viscanti poison cloud was designed was a racial version of the contagion cloud, only when it ticks, it deals poison damage and sickness, and yes, it can be gusted. Stacking clouds in a single room won't have any benefit other than hitting more enemies once, if for some reason you have more than one person's enemy list in a room.
  • Baelor said:
    While CARRY has certainly immense strength in groups, it's weaker in small skirmishes and questionable in use in a one on one scenario. There's no skills that will be universally amazing in every degree. The closest exception would be the Humans, who were designed to be a race for (almost) all circumstances, but their bonus is beaten out by a drunken dwarf, a Faeling or Elfen in natural terrain, or a Merian with a sizeable squad behind them.

What this has offered combat is a complete shakeup of the meta, not just in race choice but tactics, classes that offer new battlefield control that causes disruption to old tried and proven ways of fighting that were, frankly, beginning to make the whole thing a bit stale.

I'm completely fine with this, as it was an intended effect of the overhaul with regards to PvP. If individual skills are too strong, and it's not simply synergy with certain skillsets that could (or probably should) be adjusted themselves, we'll come back to this and change it.

Also the way Viscanti poison cloud was designed was a racial version of the contagion cloud, only when it ticks, it deals poison damage and sickness, and yes, it can be gusted. Stacking clouds in a single room won't have any benefit other than hitting more enemies once, if for some reason you have more than one person's enemy list in a room.
    Thank you for the explanation. I still think it is overly powerful. While I applaud the attempts to change the meta, given how easy it is to hide and change race. I would have personally rather seen the changes in another mechanic. I get why the admin decided to go this route. I do hope the benefits outweigh the frustration.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    As King of the Night, I demand an Igasho following me around to carry me to victory.

(these are looking nice)
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• I'm curious if Loboshigaru Demigod + applies to regen as well. In other words, would 10%/10s at 10/10 health regen be equal to 11% with the + tier?
  • Not by design intent, no.
    People are telling me I have not complained enough about finks. So I'm back, to complain, the lone voice of finkhood.

The demi+ power is just...meh. It is very difficult to put together aetherhunts, I should know, I have been trying for ages, and this whole year I've gotten people to come along on one. Meanwhile, I paid 500 credits to be a fink, for mostly the privilege of having 19 dex, so I can hit denizens for large amounts of monk damage. Which is a stupid thing to buy, probably, but, it's what I wanted.

And now I'm equalized with other races, and what I get instead is, a boost to dramatics.Which is nice, but, it isn't what I bought. I didn't buy an influencing race, I bought an ugly, smelly race, who, when their homeworld was overrun, didn't go out and talk to the gnomes, they didn't wheedle money out of them, they didn't seduce the cities to ally with them, or they went and invaded Smoke Mountain and beat on the gnomes until Gucka left and thier army collapsed.

The demi power is great, just...it doesn't need to be improved. Or if you want that, replace the influence buffs. Please give us something that keeps us true to our...lets say, nimbleness, our super-dex. That's what I paid for. Give us a blanket chance to get crits, or I don't know. Give me ideas people. Stuff that work for a small, ugly, cunning race who swear a lot and hit things instead of talking to them.

I paid a lot for this race, and I want to keep what I bought.

• Well I've actually kept my mouth shut about finks/gnomes since I've never played them.. but.

I saw why people would - potentially - go for them due to high dex/int. There was something you couldn't reach as base through any other race.

In the new design their perks appear to be of very situational use only. I've yet to see an aetherhunt in Gaudi; it's not something you can really do on your own. I admit I don't see a single reason why I should spend 500cr on that. Not one. If it's just arr-pee I can be a smelly taurian or a tiny <whatever> really and spend the 500cr rather on skills or some other arties.

I think both races have their place and are sort of neat. But 500cr neat? Um.. no.

/personal opinion.

PS: There I raised my voice too as someone who doesn't play fink and likely never will 'cause credits. :)