Lack of Raves V: Stark Ravin' Glad

Comments

• rave for getting my first kill during the wildnodes
  • edited April 2013
    @Kelly is damn hard to kill.
  • Finally got my spiffy belt! Cranked out all five lines and three quests in under 3 and a half days. Time for some sleep!

"But paradise is locked and bolted...

We must make a journey around the world

to see if a back door has perhaps been left open."

-Heinrich Von Kleist, "On the Puppet Theater"

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    That's crazy.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    It's actually not that hard to do when you're not under constraints as to having to do it in a particular moon phase. I did my second run at the belt in about the same time.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Mhmm. I did mine in a weekend (granted, it was a very free weekend. I stayed up almost the whole time).

Rave: smob raids again! Woo for the successful defense of Celestia!
    If it's broken, break it some more.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Sort of annoying to immediately disconnect every time we start hitting an Avatar, but the atmosphere tonight was fun. Things, things and things. I like things.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
    @Thoros for sticking around with me when I decided to pull heroics and try and murder people after the Celestia raid had actually broken up. Was fun to tangle with people and take random pot shots at random Celesties.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Despite my general non-comm leanings due to lack of skill, wildnodes followed by etherwilde raid WAS rather exciting. We lost terribly, but that happens. One side has to lose.

"He was well fed, and on his way to being slightly intoxicated--which contributed to his sense of wellbeing. And, most important, he was among friends. There can't be much more to life than this, he thought."  -Pug's thoughts on his first Ale (via Raymond Feist)

Visit my personal authorial website. (coming back up soon, with my first publications)
    Coding Resources: Mechanic's Corner | Code Academy | StackOverflow
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    @Skeara gets more and more awesome every day. <3 Therefore there should also be a rave for @Ankastra, without whom Tacita would never have gotten the guts to approach Ske about parentage. What an excellent clutch of daughterthings we have.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Majanishi said:
    Despite my general non-comm leanings due to lack of skill, wildnodes followed by etherwilde raid WAS rather exciting. We lost terribly, but that happens. One side has to lose.
    In the battles before the Avatar raid where it was just the Magnagoran horde versus you guys, you would've done much better if you managed to change your targets when a person left. I easily slipped out of the room for awhile at a time, and came back to find you guys were still targetting me.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • Props to @Chade and @Aslen... let's get d'Illici back on the road! And much awesomeness to @Sidd and @Tacita too. And @Eliron.
  • Silvanus said:
    Majanishi said:
    Despite my general non-comm leanings due to lack of skill, wildnodes followed by etherwilde raid WAS rather exciting. We lost terribly, but that happens. One side has to lose.
    In the battles before the Avatar raid where it was just the Magnagoran horde versus you guys, you would've done much better if you managed to change your targets when a person left. I easily slipped out of the room for awhile at a time, and came back to find you guys were still targetting me.
    Yeah that was definitely a problem. Would love to have a standard "Rules of Combat" in the Serenwilde where everyone is required to have a trigger to auto target. Rivius was calling target changes, but my personal problem was that I'd see a raid call target for Silvanus, so I'd attack, and then you'd disappear, as you said, and there wouldn't be a raid target change called out, so it was then pretty much, hit whomever. We also had Rivius calling out commands on the Seren clan and people from our alliance clan trying to call out commands too. Hot mess.

I really enjoyed the stand still force battle we had. You guys stood a few rooms away and we stood on our guards. And we just kept adding people on both sides until you guys had us way beat. That was pretty much the end of our viability.

"He was well fed, and on his way to being slightly intoxicated--which contributed to his sense of wellbeing. And, most important, he was among friends. There can't be much more to life than this, he thought."  -Pug's thoughts on his first Ale (via Raymond Feist)

Visit my personal authorial website. (coming back up soon, with my first publications)
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    We've done that, but people got pissy and stopped using it.
  • Why did people get pissy at having an effective raid combat system set up? That kind of lowers my hopes for Serenwilde ever becoming a dominant power in the game. That and whenever I've suggested we raid, only one person wants to. Kind of an unfortunate let down, but with politics and conflict heating up in game, if we DON'T step up and start actually caring, we're just going to be that spineless organization that sits in the north derping around while everyone kills our smobs and raids our protected lands.

Lame.

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited April 2013
    There's a scroll in SEG about a mush plugin you can download and use if you want. No one got pissy and said anything. It's free for you to use and Hiriako made a mudlet version even. People just don't bother with it very much for whatever reason.

Personally I hate automation to that degree and think learning combat awareness and intuition pays off in spades. There's distinct disadvantages to auto-anything and glancing at target changes in a chat window at the corner of your eye is honestly not too bad to do. Trust me, that's not why we do badly, it's because we need to get out there and fight as much as possible to get used to the environment. There's no easy button to learning group combat. You gotta get your hands dirty and die a lot before you learn how to keep yourself alive and be helpful to your group.

As for the target switching, I did call different targets. It was Thoros, Silvanus and a bunch of warriors. We're not going to attack the warriors first when there's two Nihilists in the room who can perma balance lock you in the blink of an eye (amongst other crazy things that the people I had with me would fall to quickly), but both Silvanus and Thoros kept slipping around and as happens against a large group of warriors, everyone got torn to shreds. Some fights, you just can't realistically win depending on the match-up.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Not with that attitude, you won't.

Never say never, I can't tell you how many fights we've gone into expecting to lose and ending up winning (when we stole beauty is the last one I recall).

It's kind of like heart stopping in an arena event. Why not just give it your best go and see what happens. If you die, who cares, if you win, fucking awesome

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Synkarin said:
    Not with that attitude, you won't. Never say never, I can't tell you how many fights we've gone into expecting to lose and ending up winning (when we stole beauty is the last one I recall). It's kind of like heart stopping in an arena event. Why not just give it your best go and see what happens. If you die, who cares, if you win, fucking awesome
    Problem is they don't have crazy people. I remember a domoth fight where I died something like 12 times in 20 minutes... in the end, we won, perhaps some of it due to persistence because the moment I'd pop up on the bubble, I got focused (yay, murder the melder), but enemies switching target to me meant they weren't bashing someone else who could work at them... and I kept seeing enemies dying more than I was, so I kept going up. Not to say that persistence isn't futile all the time, sometimes things just don't work as expected, intended, etc.

Anyways, to actually do a slightly delayed rave... @Thoros for the crazy stunt we pulled during the smob raid. Definitely loved running around Shakiniel, dodging several attackers only to swoop in and murder whatever we could catch away from the group. We should do it again sometime, only better and have the supernals serving tea and biscuits. :)

• Whoo, getting my family connection sorted out after RL years. Sort of.

I just have to be my father's uncle.

...this isn't even close to the weirdest family thing in the game, though.
    edited April 2013
    Synkarin said:
    Not with that attitude, you won't. Never say never, I can't tell you how many fights we've gone into expecting to lose and ending up winning (when we stole beauty is the last one I recall). It's kind of like heart stopping in an arena event. Why not just give it your best go and see what happens. If you die, who cares, if you win, fucking awesome
    Sweetheart, that's exactly what we did. We did our best and fought anyway, but of course we lost. It happens. It was me, Shedrin and a number of people who aren't combatant vs a mass of demi-arti-warriors + one monk and two nihilists, one of which is considered top-tier.
  • Hallifaxian discussions about sentience over the city aether. I love my city.
  • I originally had a trigger which would change my target variable based on calls in the combat clan, but as I got better I found I did not like having my target switched for me. In mudlet, at least, typing the first few letters of the persons name and then hitting tab will usually auto fill in the rest. I can switch targets nearly as fast as a target call trigger and I have much more freedom to make my own decisions, and I also don't get messed up when the group splits up and various people in different places are calling different targets out.

What I am trying to say is that I think having a target trigger can harm as much as it can help, and learning to target quickly and notice target changes right away is the way to go.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    ^ That's what happened. People got upset that in a battle, someone could command them to shield or change their targeting, and stopped using it. Instead of just disabling parts they didn't like, or working to fix those things (some of which require a bit more coding effort but can definitely be done). As a result, all the other great things (like standardized call outs) were trashed.
    Rivius said:

Synkarin said:

Never say never, I can't tell you how many fights we've gone into expecting to lose and ending up winning (when we stole beauty is the last one I recall).

It's kind of like heart stopping in an arena event. Why not just give it your best go and see what happens. If you die, who cares, if you win, fucking awesome

Sweetheart, that's exactly what we did. We did our best and fought anyway, but of course we lost. It happens. It was me, Shedrin and a number of people who aren't combatant vs a mass of demi-arti-warriors + one monk and two nihilists, one of which is considered top-tier.

You know, there is a big difference between trying to win, or trying not to lose. Sitting here and saying you can't win is the latter, giving it your all despite the odds is the former, and considering i saw you heartstop rather than try just recently, I am not sure you really get it.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    edited April 2013
    When did I heartstop...? I don't ever heartstop. I was trying to clarify that we did do our best and gave it all we got, but it seems you still have this age-old notion that I'm a quitter, despite numerous examples to the contrary. Have it your way.

Rave: Gotta thank the handful of people who use my system and give me excellent feedback on how to improve and fix the bugs. I may not say it much, but you guys motivate me a lot.
    You did with Enyalida just the other day, you both heartstopped, then ran to ideas about random teams

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.

• Synkarin said:
    You did with Enyalida just the other day, you both heartstopped, then ran to ideas about random teams
    Heartstops aside, I would also like a random teams mode for wargames.

Enyalida said:
    ^ That's what happened. People got upset that in a battle, someone could command them to shield or change their targeting, and stopped using it. Instead of just disabling parts they didn't like, or working to fix those things (some of which require a bit more coding effort but can definitely be done). As a result, all the other great things (like standardized call outs) were trashed.
    One could very well code around all the factors involved, but what I was trying to convey was that I think it doesn't really need to be done. By paying attention to callouts, and developing fast aliases to do things with, I believe that the participants can react to callouts and situations they notice themselves quickly enough to be very effective in group situations. You can code yourself out of needing to learn how to do it manually, but targeting and manually obeying callouts quickly is skill that *can* be learned, and I think a skill that *should* be learned.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Rivius said:

Synkarin said:

Wait just a minute!!!!!!!

Who's top tier? Thoros or me? Very important...
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Rivius said:

Synkarin said:

Wait just a minute!!!!!!!

Who's top tier? Thoros or me? Very important...

Sounds like it is time for an e-honour duel!
  • Xenthos said:
    Synkarin said:
    Wait just a minute!!!!!!! Who's top tier? Thoros or me? Very important...
    Sounds like it is time for an e-honour duel!
    And so a brilliant rivalry began.
This discussion has been closed.