Should we have a "Rants" thread?

Nocht said:
I think we were pretty clear about what should be in this thread.

If people want to discuss having a rant section on the forums, make a new thread.

So He asks, so I shall do!

What do you think? Should we have a thread to vent our vehemence? Our Disagreements? Speak up, and let us know what you think!

Comments

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I don't know if it has to be a specific thread for ranting, but I support having a general chat thread. Not everything needs it's own thread (like the time I wanted to bemoan all the errors I made in a newspost because I was too lazy to check my work), and not everything is going to be a rave or a funny quote.

Relieving pressure is healthier than letting things bubble and explode into volcano of malcontent. That's why I like tweets. Little anedotes, amusing tidbits, occasional gripes. It's real.

• I'm sure we're all adults and capable of either letting the issue go, or argue right back. Life isn't a tea party, it's incredibly ugly. Keeping those feelings locked up inside to fester is not the right way to go about things. You may not have noticed, but people have been letting out their frustrations into all the other threads.

It was suggested there be a subforum just for rants. Why not go with that. Maybe make it toggle-able, so people can choose to see it or not, and keep the policing of it to the players.
  • Unzareh said:
    I'm sure we're all adults and capable of either letting the issue go, or argue right back.
    Haha. Hah. Haaaa.
  • I can understand the need to blow off steam. I've more than once found myself writing what (I considered to be) a scathing reply to something or someone I disagreed with, and then sat and made myself re-read it before I posted it. Nine times out of ten, I deleted it without putting it up, because it wasn't worth the further anger I'd feel with the next response they'd issue. I felt better for having restrained myself, and distracted myself with other things until I was calm again.

That's not to say that I don't disagree with this topic. I do think that there should be a place where people can vent. Drag queen gifs are amazing, and sometimes the griping can be really funny. And you should be able to say, "Man I'm frustrated that I couldn't do this today" in a general thread without fear of being tossed into the Void.  But of course, the problem with the Rants is that some people just don't know when to stop. It doesn't have as much to do with a thick skin as it has to do with people plowing forward and saying, to Nil with it all!

But then again, I absolutely hated and avoided tweets because I didn't like slogging through all the backlash when a bad rant did happen. So - re-open Tweets so that can be what it was originally intended to be - and then provide a place where people can make some general gripes, perhaps. If people abuse it, then close it down, but maybe at least give it a chance or two.  Bury it in a subthread.  People that don't want to see it, won't have to read it, and can still enjoy the rest of the forums. 

It's easier to control it through a single thread, rather than having to fight your way through Tweets.  I know I for one, would enjoy seeing the potential problem limited to a thread somewhere else, then to have to see it on Quotes, Raves, etc.  And that way, at least you can say you tried.
    --------
    "You are so much bigger than you think you are," She says, fervently. "You are a beacon of hope that shines through the world with every step you take. You are My beacon, Gabriella, and you shine even into the darkest of nightmares."
    --------
    The air sparkles with silver motes of light as a silken voice says, "You will see growth and strength where others will see weakness. You will walk with Us as a paragon of Serenwilde's power, for you have already walked this path before."
  • Daraius said:
    I don't think venting is actually helpful for anyone. Every minute spent typing up a strongly worded argument is probably better spent taking a walk.
    I would disagree. Venting (and by venting I mean writing a post and posting it, not just writing and deleting it) helps, depending on the person.

The fact that tweets/rants have gone into other threads I think just shows that we should have a thread that contains it all. You do not have to read the thread, it is easy to ignore. I also believe we need to define what a personal attack is, as it can differ between people. Swearing at someone (calling them a bitch or whatever), for example, I wouldn't really consider it a personal attack. But regardless, as it was said, I think people need to grow thicker skin and learn how to take an insult or two.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    edited August 2015
    Venting helps me. We'll just agree to disagree about the usefulness of venting. 

I've already made my suggestion on how to make rants in such a way as to "keep away" from all the good, wholesome threads. Keeping rants away from all the others cleans up the "good" threads by virtue of their existence. SUPER BONUS: no one has to read it unless they want their share of salt. There is literally no chance anyone who wants to read some good wholesome tweets can accidentally wander into the mean old rants thread and see the horrors of drag queen gifs, Elanorwen/Sidd flirting, Arcanis being Arcanis, Lerad trolling ONLY Arcanis, and so on.

Again, it might just be confirmation bias, but there definitely have been more outbreaks of thread derailing after tweets got shut down. Having a thread to talk about anything and everything (maybe even complaints) definitely has its use.

Further, I've already said that personal attacks are bad and should always be deleted, but some of the people in these forums really need to get a thicker skin. Not everything is an attack upon your honour or person.

In a conflict game, you might offend someone for just existing. You should just learn to live with it and accept that you can't please everyone.

Fun fact: the heinous personal attacks I've ever received in my 7+ years of griefing have all been tells. The forums have bothered me exactly once, and that was when Xenthos didn't stick to the Xynthin name.

I am definitely one of those who feels better after I've gotten my gripe off my chest. Even if it's vaguely done, it helps.

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    I can say, as a person who hasn't had access to the forums for some time, that both walking away and getting it all out in the heat of the moment is soothing to me. Getting distance from the game when you're mad is good, but so is standing up for what you think, even if you turn out to be  completely wrong and out of line later down the road. The only thing banning gets done is squelch opportunity to say "sorry, I fucked up, I'm a dumbass".

Whichever is a more positive venting route is up for debate.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited August 2015
    That's why you go for a walk. You only work yourself up further by typing up a passive-agressive diatribe, and the only purpose you serve by pressing "post comment" is to make someone else feel bad or angry. 

Anticipating "welcome to reality" responses, I'd say I don't come here for a dose of reality, and I don't think reality needs to be as ugly as all that either. But... I guess I wouldn't have much to object to if that ranting subforum was tucked off to the side somewhere and I could toggle it off and it wouldn't ping me when I get tagged for all my vile behavior. 
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Rant: Why is this not a poll thread?
  • Enyalida said:
    I wasn't sure to make one, apologies.

• I think the point here is really, everyone should have the OPTION of being able to vent if they want to. I've done venting in the verbal form, the written form, and the work-off-the-steam-by-doing-something-else form. It's just comforting to feel that you can be heard if you want to be, even if you make an ass out of yourself in the end.

Just banish the trolls!

(Which yes, I realize is almost an impossibility.)
    --------
    "You are so much bigger than you think you are," She says, fervently. "You are a beacon of hope that shines through the world with every step you take. You are My beacon, Gabriella, and you shine even into the darkest of nightmares."
    --------
    The air sparkles with silver motes of light as a silken voice says, "You will see growth and strength where others will see weakness. You will walk with Us as a paragon of Serenwilde's power, for you have already walked this path before."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Enyalida said:

Oi, no ranting!
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited August 2015
    Ignore this.  I somehow broke my comment and can't fix it. :(
    --------
    --------
  • My rant....still no tweets thread.

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• Celina, your gifs are too much.

Why do you have the best gifs.

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    It's an art form.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Given the amount of Lusternian who struggle with depression, anger issues, or general BS in their lives, you would think the admin would be onboard with an area of the forums to blow off steam.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited August 2015
    Shaddus said:
    Given the amount of Lusternian who struggle with depression, anger issues, or general BS in their lives, you would think the admin would be onboard with an area of the forums to blow off steam.
    Having those people with "General BS" in their lives argue back and forth doesn't help.

It sounds nice, sure, but someone is inevitably going to take something the wrong way, make some snide remark, and next thing you know it's Lusternian mudslinging. It never really ends well from what I've seen already.

I need somewhere to express my absolute gut-wrenching sorrow at some recent happenings. I can hardly do that in raves.

• @Celina are those rupaul gifs?

The background reminds me of the show he has

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Alic said:
    @Celina are those rupaul gifs?

You must be new all over the place.
  • Alic said:
    @Celina are those rupaul gifs?

Most of her gifs seem to be of William, but yeah, pretty much all her gifs are from RPDR.
  • To the OP: Yes

So much angst boiling into every other thread.

/returns to lurking
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.