Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• I do it, I'm bad. :(

I try not to, I just have the attention span of a hamster and forget. Luckily, I'm never doing anything productive when this happens. 
  • Oh I was wrong on the times.

Anonymous): Avurekhos says, "We'll just fall back and focus on an Etherwilde defence, while we have our success."
    [13:39:55.469] H:11300(100%) M:8300(100%) E:6800(100%) P:10(88) [dbkrexlr][Siam]-(+222m, 2.7%)

(Anonymous): Avurekhos says, "We're sticking to Etherwilde at this time."
    [13:42:07.013] H:11300(100%) M:8085(97%) E:6800(100%) P:10(90) [dbkrexlr][Siam]-(-215m, 2.6%)

A roaring crash echoes through your mind as the Domotheos of Beauty attempts to absolve the Domotheos of Knowledge.
    [13:53:03.482] H:11300(100%) M:8192(98%) E:6800(100%) P:10(111) [dbkrexlr][Siam]-

Note I wasn't on Limbo I was still on Ethereal

Yvonari tells you, "Have your own manse and you're still mindless in limbo, heh."
    [14:15:50.924] H:11300(100%) M:7983(96%) E:6800(100%) P:10(120) [dbkrexlr][Siam]-(-317m, 3.8%)

[15:02:01.477] H:11300(100%) M:8191(98%) E:6800(100%) P:10(120) [dbkrexlr][Siam]-

[ ALERT ] - Socket got disconnected.
    Reason: Unknown error
  • Xenthos said:
    15.10 AFK
    -------------------------------------------------------------

"Everyone else does it!" is not exactly a valid excuse here (... or anywhere, really...), since not everyone else does it; most of us go to our manses when we are going to go AFK.  It's how we let people around us know that we're not actually here (and they don't expect us to be).

Issue me then, until then it is none of your business what I do or why I do it or where I do it.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Yup, it's your job to be the AFK police now Xenthos. Hop to it.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Demartel said:
    Xenthos said:
    15.10 AFK

"Everyone else does it!" is not exactly a valid excuse here (... or anywhere, really...), since not everyone else does it; most of us go to our manses when we are going to go AFK.  It's how we let people around us know that we're not actually here (and they don't expect us to be).

Issue me then, until then it is none of your business what I do or why I do it or where I do it.
    What a terrible attitude.  "It's nobody's business if I break game rules when there is a perfectly viable alternative at hand."  The rule is in place for a reason, and complying with it is not overly burdensome.  There are so many manses available even if you do not have your own.

It was different back when there was a blanket afk-ban, there was no real way to comply with it (they even changed it because they realized they were ignoring it entirely, it was unenforceable), but these days that is (thankfully) no longer an issue.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Maligorn said:
    Yup, it's your job to be the AFK police now Xenthos. Hop to it.
    I have in fact caught numerous people AFKing over the years and issued them for it (one of them got a 3-month shrubbing out of it).  Not very easy when they're AFKing in an org, but there are those who actually AFK-hunt-or-influence.

I know I'm not the only one who has done so, either.
  • Wait, are we issuing people for AFKing in places outside of the manse? Do you really want to get into that? Really really?  ;))
    See you in Sapience.
  • Well, I just hope it goes both ways instead of being another north vs south. But I know better!
    See you in Sapience.
  • edited May 2016
    Like I said feel free to issue me for it. The mechanic is there for a reason. Better Issue Cyndarin as well, she just admitted to doing it herself. As well as all the people I have caught AFK on Ethereal Glomdoring, while I spend an hour+ removing your traps there and putting my own in place. I am sure if you got right down to it you would find that a good portion of every Org has AFK'd at their Nexus, some for short periods some for long periods, some intentionally long and some accidently long.

When you are an Admin though, you can correct my actions. Until such time you can ask the Admin to correct my actions and stop pretending that nobody you know is not AFK at the Nexus.
    I will agree that we need to weed out the AFK influence and bash. But uh, leave the rest to the admin, is what I'd say.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Twytch said:
    Well, I just hope it goes both ways instead of being another north vs south. But I know better!
    ...you really think issuing afkers is a North/South thing? I've issued plenty of people in my own org for afking for hours on end at the nexus or afk hunting. It's about rule breaking, not getting a leg up on the other 'side'.

Jesus. The aggression. I usually find the drama amusing (ok almost always) but the aggro 'Issue me then' 'north vs south' when being pointed out that something is actually openly against the rules...just wow. That's when you can tell it's getting a bit much. I don't care who you are, I will notify of overt rule breaking that I happen to witness. Sorry not sorry. Don't break the rules.

• Lavinya said:
    Twytch said:
    Well, I just hope it goes both ways instead of being another north vs south. But I know better!
    ...you really think issuing afkers is a North/South thing? I've issued plenty of people in my own org for afking for hours on end at the nexus or afk hunting. It's about rule breaking, not getting a leg up on the other 'side'.

Jesus. The aggression. I usually find the drama amusing (ok almost always) but the aggro 'Issue me then' 'north vs south' when being pointed out that something is actually openly against the rules...just wow. That's when you can tell it's getting a bit much. I don't care who you are, I will notify of overt rule breaking that I happen to witness. Sorry not sorry. Don't break the rules.

I expect no less, all I am saying is it is not your place to act like Admin on the forums. If you have an issue with my rule breaking then handle it with the very same rules you are citing, namely Issues. If you think I am breaking the rules, issue me, I will accept responsibility for my actions. Don't act like a forums lawyer, because that is not your job. It is the Admins job.
    I, too, have been forced to AFK during an emergency (or even a bathroom break). Issue me, too. (If I'm completely honest I'm quite ashamed of a recent AFK where I passed out on my bed while Zvoltz came to talk to me).

• I have had admin, Estarra included page me while AFK at the nexus. I get a message saying "Hey when you are alert message me so we can discuss such and such"
  • edited May 2016
    I imagine if he were going to issue you, he would've back when you did it. Not a week later when you start getting sassy on forums about it. I don't think he's threatening you either, just kind of explaining the rules. Despite attempts to paint other people as such, no one is actually going to start petty spite issuing spontaneous AFK. I don't know how this spiraled from "these are the rules so we just assumed you weren't afk" to "OMG ISSUE ME ABOUT IT, FORUMS POLICE."

Partly because just going AFK doesn't carry a serious punishment unless you're bashing/influencing/aetherspacing. Like...maybe an Oneiroi warning to stahp. Getting real dramatic. 

But uh, sure. North v South rule breaking war go. 

Just kidding, you already won with Fury spam. 
  • I imagine if he were going to issue you, he would've back when you did it. Not a week later when you start getting sassy on forums about it. I don't think he's threatening you either, just kind of explaining the rules. Getting real dramatic. 

But uh, sure. North v South rule breaking war go. 

Just kidding, you already won with Fury spam. 

Obviously, I was not referring to issue me for a month old transgression and saying in the future if you think I am AFK at the nexus issue me. I had assumed that was a given, perhaps it was my delivery in which case I apologise for confusing the matter.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Simply put: breaking rules is bad. Don't do it.

Sometimes emergencies happen and you have to run away from the keyboard for a sec, and people are pretty forgiving about that, but outright stating that you're going to continue purposefully AFKing where the rules state you shouldn't be.... Ehhhh. Especially don't do that. It doesn't matter how many other people do it and get away with it, because they shouldn't be doing it, either.

I'm getting the impression that a good bit of the stubbornness on this point is due to where the argument is coming from. However, it's ultimately meaningless. The AFK policy set by the administration is clear, regardless of who is informing you of it.
  • Well I won't, but I don't issue ever really. Stuff happens. 
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I hope someone in Glomdoring jumps on the bandwagon and issues Tau for having been constantly afk for the last 2-3 irl years. Just saying.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Lavinya said:
    Twytch said:

There are people in this very discussion right now who have been known to AFK at the Prime nexus, and yet the flak still seems to fall mainly on Demartel. That seems highly partisan to me.
    See you in Sapience.
  • edited May 2016
    It's ok, I am a big boy. If they want to point at me and say "he is breaking the rules, he admitted it!!" that is fine. As I said, I will continue to do it when I need to do it, as will anyone else who needs to.

I will also point out that I rarely do it, but as Cyndarin said "stuff happens". If I know I am going to be gone for a period of time that is noticable, I goto my manse. If I think I will only be a few minutes I do not. In that case, it took longer than I expected. Much like one of our horses escaping last night. I was all ready to fight, I had even just grabbed a shrine power when the knock on the door came and I had to go straight out the door for an hour to catch a horse that I am starting to think should be glue.

There are also varying degrees of AFK.. AFK where you are really fully gone from keyboard, AFK where you are checking on things but unable to really play, and AFK where you can sit and watch the screen scroll by and maybe respond to someone talking to you, but you are otherwise occupied.

<waits for Xenthos to be pedantic>
  • edited May 2016
    Twytch said:
    Lavinya said:
    Twytch said:

There are people in this very discussion right now who have been known to AFK at the Prime nexus, and yet the flak still seems to fall mainly on Demartel. That seems highly partisan to me.
    Literally no one has levied any criticism at Demartel for going AFK in the past few pages, they've literally just explained the rules, and that's far as far as they've taken it. The whole "ISSUE ME," thing came from Demartel.

There's certainly some partisan interpretation of posts here, but it's not what you think it is. BUT HEY, that seems to be the hot button word as of late. Apparently Xenthos, Synkarin, and I are all partisan for disagreeing with eachother on Rivius's trap report. 

Partisan plotting. It's all the rage, hunty. 

(I know Xenthos has caught a certain former Mag a few times, does that count as partisan?)
  • Oh please, who has not caught said Mag? Hell I have caught said Mag plenty in the last while, I just don't issue over it.
  • While we're on the topic, I don't think anyone will really fear AFK consequences considering said Mag has been caught multiple times and yet still managed to get back in the game. 
    See you in Sapience.
  • Well yes, who hasn't caught them. The point is, that's not exactly partisan if he's catching them.

• I do it, I'm bad. :(

I try not to, I just have the attention span of a hamster and forget. Luckily, I'm never doing anything productive when this happens. 

Just so we can say it is not a Partisan thing (Which I never said it was)

15.10 AFK

Lusternia has a simple, easy-to-understand policy regarding AFK: it's not allowed.

AFK is an acronym which stands for 'away from keyboard'. In Lusternia, it also includes a player who may be at his or her keyboard, but who isn't paying attention to the game or responding. A player is also considered AFK if he or she has a trigger for responding automatically, or a timer which regularly and automatically enters commands for the purposes of remaining online.

Being AFK is forbidden for several reasons. There are many game mechanics, some quite important, which function based on the time spent online, either total or in the past week. Spending time AFK renders these inaccurate. Also, being unresponsive in public areas of the game can lead to bad experiences for other players when they attempt to interact with you. This is especially unacceptable in the case of newbies seeking assistance. Finally, being AFK while having automated responses active puts you in danger of violating our policy regarding automation (see HELP TRIGGERS).

Manses
    ------
    Players sometimes spend time idle in a manse (see HELP MANSES). Because manses are private and offer little opportunity to generate gold or experience, this practice is permitted. Note that you will not accrue vote weight while in a manse (see HELP ELECTIONS).

Penalties
    ---------
    On occasion, we may ask players whom we suspect to be AFK to prove that they are, in fact, paying attention to the game. If you are found to be AFK, you will be disconnected from the game. You may also be punished by the administration; depending on the situation, you may receive one or multiple warnings, or you may receive none. Penalties can include the docking of role points (see HELP ROLEPOINTS), reduction of vote weight (see HELP ELECTIONS) and, in extreme cases, character suspension.

Losing your connection
    ----------------------
    If you lose or cut your connection to Lusternia, it is possible for your character to stay online in some cases. Due to the vagaries of the internet, there is no way for Lusternia to know that your connection is no longer working. This is not a valid excuse for being AFK for an extended period of time, as the existence of the TIMEOUT command can prevent this from ever affecting you (see HELP TIMEOUT). A timeout limit of 10 minutes or less is recommended.

This discussion has been closed.