Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Twytch said:

If I'm remembering my commune days correctly, Serenwilde and Glomdoring have a sort-of equivalent source of power a la Elemental/Cosmic:

1) influence fae in Faethorn (30 fae in total),

which generate the mobs that spawn in the respective Ethereal forests (not the Daughters/Ladies, but the hawks/opossums/centipedes/etc.)

2) kill these mobs for silver/shadow essence.

Granted, it can be a bit more cumbersome than the Elemental/Cosmic version (especially since even the Ethereal essence mobs spawn at a lower rate than the Elemental essence mobs, plus you have to influence the fae to even spawn them in the first place). And there's the fact that the 30 Faethorn fae competed for by both communes. But the equivalent versions do exist; it can certainly be petitioned to be improved if totem power is removed.

Of course, this has all been re-hashed again and again over the past 10+ years of Lusternia. Nothing much has changed, and probably nothing much will. So enjoy the passive 2k power per day and endure the admittedly painstaking task of carving trees!

You're welcome to read report 1374, where some of these details are discussed.
  • Enyalida said:

That's the fae, kinda. Of course now, not only can they be stolen or easily killed, a quest can happen that makes them worth half as much power.

There are some rather major differences though. First, they are shared between Glom and Seren, which effectively halves their power output. Second (and by extension), they're not in org-controlled territory, which means there's a real danger to go gather those fae, far more so than doing the city versions. Third, cities can also gather fae (although IIRC all cities are banned from doing so by treaties).

If these fae were to be placed on the Moon/Night bubbles, I certainly wouldn't complain. While not technically org-controlled, they're definitely close enough, and it would neatly divide them up into Glom-fae and Seren-fae (although we'd still have the possibility to fly over and steal eachother's fae, obviously). As it stands though, they're pretty far from the cosmic power quests.
  • My tweet is I woke up to 51 new tweets expecting some good forum drama and all I got was a stupid argument about the differences between communes and cities.
  • edited August 2016
    :-O
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    edited August 2016
    FAMILY TREE SHEVAT

Falmiis Shevat < p: Yarith+Shonjir >

...mom..?
  • Lol I was thinking the same thing.
  • Don't look at me. Maligorn said it.
  • Kiradawea said:

Enyalida said:

That's the fae, kinda. Of course now, not only can they be stolen or easily killed, a quest can happen that makes them worth half as much power.

What quest is this? And more importantly, does it give you an honours? :D
    There's the newish quest in Faethorn, where you help catch a skunk and give the stinky fae a scrub. The stinky fae are worth significantly less power than regular fae, and this is an intentional quest design. However, from what I hear, there are issues with completing the quest and I cannot say if it has been fixed since I last spoke to someone about it.

Here's the line: She did bathe the fae until they were squeaky clean.

(I guess Momma Night doesn't like stinky followers, what do you say @Nocht ?)

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• Unless there is another issue, the quest should be working since I last talked to you about the bugs and filed a report. Those bugs at the very least are resolved now.
  • Dylara said:

Kiradawea said:

Enyalida said:

There's the newish quest in Faethorn, where you help catch a skunk and give the stinky fae a scrub. The stinky fae are worth significantly less power than regular fae, and this is an intentional quest design. However, from what I hear, there are issues with completing the quest and I cannot say if it has been fixed since I last spoke to someone about it.

Thanks. So fae are non-stinky until you get to a certain point of the quest? And then suddenly fae get stinky? I might end up poking around that a bit. This must be investigated!

Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Kiradawea said:

Dylara said:

Kiradawea said:

Enyalida said:

Thanks. So fae are non-stinky until you get to a certain point of the quest? And then suddenly fae get stinky? I might end up poking around that a bit. This must be investigated!

If the quest needs doing, you will see stinky fae in Faethorn.

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Kiradawea said:

Oh! My! Arceus! Lookit him! I bet his moveset is Nasty Plot, Odor Sleuth, Identify, and Foresight. I don't care how useless that moveset is.
  • Dylara said:

If the quest needs doing, you will see stinky fae in Faethorn.

Ah. So... it's essentially a busy-work quest. That explains it. Thanks for the info.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    It is a busy-work quest that nerfs the power generation for Fae if you do not do it for no known/good reason. I do not know of anyone who complained that 2p for gathering a fae was Just Too Much.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited August 2016
    There's a quest that nerfs regeneration on undead/crow followers, a quest that nerfs the already pitiful power input on fae....why can't forest people apply to be ephs and make quests to mess with Celest and Hallifax, like a quest that makes their skin burn if they spend too much time in the sun or something.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Doesn't Seren also have a psycho Lakedancer that gets all snippy if left unattended?

• They do. Who makes these busy-work quests? :-/
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Shaddus said:

There's a quest that nerfs regeneration on undead/crow followers, a quest that nerfs the already pitiful power input on fae....why can't forest people apply to be ephs and make quests to mess with Celest and Hallifax, like a quest that makes their skin burn if they spend too much time in the sun or something.

I guess we're just leaving the entirety of the Sea Battle out.

Also, the very easy mirror quest.

Maligorn said:

Shaddus said:

I guess we're just leaving the entirety of the Sea Battle out.

Also, the very easy mirror quest.
    Seabattle isn't something a commune member can do to specifically nerf city people, or even a particular subset of any group. I'm also unsure how the mirror quest nerfs either hallifax or gaudiguch, or even part of them.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Sorry, I thought you meant a matter of inconvenience less than a nerf.

I would dearly hope that Serens and Gloms aren't bringing in fae for the purpose of generating mad power though.

• Maligorn said:

Sorry, I thought you meant a matter of inconvenience less than a nerf.

I would dearly hope that Serens and Gloms aren't bringing in fae for the purpose of generating mad power though.

We really only do it for Daughters/Ladies generation and of course the RPz, though when they added in the etherbeasts that was nice enough reason to keep at it I guess.

Not just that, but I'm pretty sure the regeneration malus from the Spite doesn't really qualify as a "minor inconvenience" :D
    It almost certainly does. I can cancel out your regen anyway with a musicbox.

• Eh, the difference between the cities and the communes is ground that has been tilled over and over. These differences serve little purpose other than flavour, and everyone has expressed, repeatedly, that the resulting mechanics can be frustrating and toxic, again, over and over. There are plenty of ways to differentiate communes and cities in a flavourful, meaningful and non-frustrating ways, much the same way a lot of other sources of frustration can be blunted, and the general consensus has been to change such frustrating mechanics. Never happened, for whatever reason only Estarra can fathom. Well, can't be helped, until Estarra changes her mind.

In the meantime, if someone is stupid enough to genuinely be a self-deluded crusader of "justified griefing", we should pity them. Such ignorant hedonism can't really be countered with reason, anyway - casting pearls before swine etc etc. But if you are aware of the fact that such differences are a constant source of frustration to both sides because everyone wants to be rid of it, and you insist on acting as though you're justified in your actions, then that's just an asshole pretending to be stupid, which is stupidity of a magnitude larger. Drop the pretence, you're fooling nobody. Maybe that worked for you when you were trying to convince your parents it was the dog that left diarrhea spewed all over the living room, but neither your bullshit nor your excuses are welcome here.

Maligorn said:

It almost certainly does. I can cancel out your regen anyway with a musicbox.

And I can cancel out your musicbox with a disruption horn, love potion, lust tarot, psymet pheromones, dominate, and any number of other ways. That's not the point.
    edited August 2016
    I mean...if you're wasting balances to use disruption horn, locking a channel to use pheromones, or using power to dominate, you've lost for reasons that aren't attributed to a small regen malus.

EDIT: Okay, I take it back. Pheromones is pretty good. But how many psymet users are out there that are also crowspirited/undead.

Crow/undead having the spire against them and finding ways to get off an enemy list for musicbox are two totally different things. Not only that, but pheromones (and any forced unenemying also help against enemy melds/bards, chem/wood bombs, and plenty of other stuff. I'd say that yeah, using a balance for that, locking a channel, or using a balance to remove a enemy-list roomwide malus to regen is a pretty good use of resources.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Dio at least requires someone to take the effort to raise the effect, it doesn't just happen on its own if you fail to grind out the quest every so often.

It also sucks to have to spend extra time just to maintain the status quo, such at it is. For the forests in general and Serenwilde in specific, the 'winning' condition of every piece of conflict tends to be (barely) maintain the status quo.
This discussion has been closed.