Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• Buggy AF.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • We ran into a bug with armada (neither ship could move). Had to anchor/dock/launch to get us moving again. But very fun!
    See you in Sapience.
  • edited September 2016
    On the topic of Armada, can we please change it to where all crews involved share one SHIPT instead of just the empaths? Not sure if this has been changed but I don't see any mentioning of it.

EDIT: To touch up and make this a better posting - Armada should grant access to all Covey or grid Bonded people access to SHIPTA instead of only the empath. This way you can have your personal SHIPT and the combined forces one. This bit of a change would free up the Empath from having to balance conversations and of course keep everyone alive.
  • Oh poop yes. That armada bug scared me. Or it could have been an anchor bug. I'm really not sure what I did...

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Twytch said:
    We ran into a bug with armada (neither ship could move). Had to anchor/dock/launch to get us moving again. But very fun!
    We had different Armada bugs.  Including apparently an untrapped error.
  • edited September 2016
    It really does suck to hear people were having issues during this, but it was still (hopefully) an enjoyable twist on the standard combat that happens.
  • Stratas said:
    Finally there's an aether flare when I'm around. And it's a competitive one too! We have a crew enough to give our enemies hell, I'm chill on empathing... and boom, my computer freezes. Repeatedly. For upwards of 5 minutes at a time. Then lags. Then freezes more. Then d/cs me. And I log back in dead, of course. Doesn't that just beat all.
    Yeah I dc'd twice during the whole thing, once interrupting a bombardment. Whoops.

Was still fun though, I never get to do aethercombat.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • My solution that @Rivius put up, I think, is traps decay after 4 hours outside Org territory. So the whole "we can't keep traps in ethereal Glom" is a red herring. Cause the solution provided for that and you could. You could not keep traps in the rest of the game for RL years though. You would need to be proactive in pitting "oh hey guys let's do a Domoth? Do we have a tracker? Great, let's check the common bubbles and get some pits up on them just in case. Oh, it went to a different bubble? Well that's fine they won't have pits there either."

The whole it makes it easier for the first team that gets there is a load of crap line too for multiple reasons, but you will hear someone defend it.
    It absolutely is not a load of crap for any reason.  As long as traps are as powerful as they are (something that I mentioned multiple times in that report), we do not need to make it easier to fill an area with traps-- and if there are no traps down, it's extraordinarily easy.

Traps do not need buffs.  Traps need nerfs.
  • I think there needs to be a limit on the number of traps any one tracker can have and also there needs to be a significantly longer re-arm time or an immunity so that people don't just get stuck in a get pitted, climb out, get pitted infinite loop.
    edited September 2016
    Extending the re-arm time would be worthwhile.  I also am thinking that making it so you can't Conceal someone else's trap would be beneficial, as well as extending how long it takes to place down a new trap.

Also, I'd be in favour of discussing climbing out of pits; make CLIMB ROCKS power-free but take twice as long as it currently does.  That, combined with a lengthier re-arm time, may make it harder to keep someone stuck in a trap forever, but it is still pretty darn useful for the tracker to have someone in a pit that long.

Edit: Could keep CLIMB ROCKS FAST or something to do normal time with the power cost, so people still have that option.
  • Here is why it is a load of crap line, and I knew it would be you jumping to the defense of it.

Currently if we get to a bubble and no traps are there, I will have traps up before anyone else arrives. Nothing changes
    Currently if we get to a bubble and my traps are there (happens a lot in domoths, hell Dramube was still my pits a year after the last time I laid them) then again, nothing changes.
    Currently if we get to a bubble and your traps are there I will have them replaced before you get there, or most of them done so. Very little changes

So having traps decay after 4 hours just means that you are always going into a situation of there being 0 traps or you having been proactive and getting traps up before hand.

It also means that if a team goes up there without a tracker and team 2 shows up with a tracker that tracker has to put some work into the situation not just "oh hey all my pits are here, enemy everyone"

The whole "it makes trapping an area easier" is a bullshit comment because I can go into Ethereal Glomdoring and have the entire area pitted sans avatars before anyone even knows I am there. (been there done that numerous times) It is already easy to pit an area.
    Demartel said:
    Here is why it is a load of crap line, and I knew it would be you jumping to the defense of it.

Currently if we get to a bubble and no traps are there, I will have traps up before anyone else arrives. Nothing changes
    Currently if we get to a bubble and my traps are there (happens a lot in domoths, hell Dramube was still my pits a year after the last time I laid them) then again, nothing changes.
    Currently if we get to a bubble and your traps are there I will have them replaced before you get there, or most of them done so. Very little changes

So having traps decay after 4 hours just means that you are always going into a situation of there being 0 traps or you having been proactive and getting traps up before hand.

It also means that if a team goes up there without a tracker and team 2 shows up with a tracker that tracker has to put some work into the situation not just "oh hey all my pits are here, enemy everyone"

The whole "it makes trapping an area easier" is a bullshit comment because I can go into Ethereal Glomdoring and have the entire area pitted sans avatars before anyone even knows I am there. (been there done that numerous times) It is already easy to pit an area.
    It takes 2 seconds to lay a trap.

It takes about 10 seconds to trip a trap and reconceal it.

It thus takes five times longer to replace an area that is already pitted.  That is not a "bull" comment (ps: Please don't curse on the forums, it is against forum rules).  I will also note that while you can do it, you haven't done it that much; and even when you were doing it, it was with numerous other people helping you to make it faster.  I can't recall one time that you actually did it all by yourself.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Xenthos said:
    It absolutely is not a load of crap for any reason.  As long as traps are as powerful as they are (something that I mentioned multiple times in that report), we do not need to make it easier to fill an area with traps-- and if there are no traps down, it's extraordinarily easy.

Why not nerf them then? Make traps decay. But that makes it too quick to put traps! Make traps take longer to put down. Presto, solution! 
    Enyalida said:
    Xenthos said:

Why not nerf them then? Make traps decay. But that makes it too quick to put traps! Make traps take longer to put down. Presto, solution! 
    Wasn't part of any of the solutions.  I'm willing to discuss changes to trap duration, but not until they've been weakened first.  I even put up a post with some ideas above.  An earlier post also suggested making them take longer to put down if you're using the comm-free option.  So, are you just parroting my own solution back to me now? :p
  • edited September 2016
    Every time I did it was by myself. The -only- time I had help with traps was during raids, which would mean I was getting caught, cause yanno... "raid". That is how I did not get caught. I mean I understand you seem to feel you have super senses and know what goes on when you are not there, but the truth is you are just as mortal as the rest of us.

Oh and by numerous other people, you mean Romaan. Cause yes, I suppose he counts for 10 of you in quality.
    edited September 2016
    Demartel said:
    Every time I did it was by myself. The -only- time I had help with traps was during raids, which would mean I was getting caught, cause yanno... "raid". That is how I did not get caught. I mean I understand you seem to feel you have super senses and know what goes on when you are not there, but the truth is you are just as mortal as the rest of us.
    You know, it's pretty darn easy to check TRAPS and see if the entire area is Demartel traps when fixing them.  It doesn't even require super senses.

Now, if you're saying multiple times you did all of the Dark Nest on your own, I'll give you that.  I have had to fix that up repeatedly from you and smaller incursions.

Edit: As for others, it was usually a mix of your traps, Sondayga's traps, Aeden's traps, Rivius' traps, and Romaan's traps.  Anywhere between 3-5 of those.

Edit 2: Mnemosyne too.
  • edited September 2016
    Just make climbing out of a pit give immunity until the person has left that room for x seconds. You know the trap is there at that point. You watched the person reset it. The tracker can gust the person out (in to another pit maybe?) until that time has elapsed then pit again.
    The Divine voice of Ianir the Anomaly echoes in your head, "You are a ray of sunshine in a sea of 
    depression. I just wanted you to know that."
  • You know my traps have sat there for RL days, and upwards of a week without you ever noticing them or removing them right? Raids happen in those times where my traps get replaced by other ally traps, you do know people do that right? Hell I have pitted ethereal Glomdoring and scented people at the Nexus and though "oh crap busted" and then continued on without a peep. Then raiding starts and traps get as I already said, reconcealed by others.

Pitting an area is not hard to do. Stop trying to make it sound like it is.
    Alternatively, you could make falling into a pit trap actually destroy it once the person climbs out (it's not functional any more, and waiting until the person is out prevents you from placing another while it's climbing).  A new trap placed down isn't active for 10s or so after it's placed (it is in "AI" status).
    edited September 2016
    Demartel said:
    You know my traps have sat there for RL days, and upwards of a week without you ever noticing them or removing them right? Raids happen in those times where my traps get replaced by other ally traps, you do know people do that right? Hell I have pitted ethereal Glomdoring and scented people at the Nexus and though "oh crap busted" and then continued on without a peep. Then raiding starts and traps get as I already said, reconcealed by others.

Pitting an area is not hard to do. Stop trying to make it sound like it is.
    Oh really?  Pitting an area is not hard to do?  Take a look at all those comments on that report where Rivius is complaining it's too hard to pit an area that already has traps in it.  Heck, that's why he even suggested solution 1, to make it easier to switch them over.  It is explicitly written into the problem in the report that you say you crafted.

Maybe you should do the smart thing and read the comments.  It's a public report now.  My argument written there is that pitting an area is too easy, but pitting an area that doesn't already have traps in it is absurdly easy for the power that having traps gives you.

My entire point is that the extra time to cover an area down with your own pits to replace pits that are already there is the only current balancer against pits as they currently stand.

Fix pits, and that's not as much of a problem.

Edit: Actually, are you just trolling?  You must be at this point, since it's pretty obvious I'm on record as saying I don't want it to be easier to pit up an area, not that I think it's too hard to pit up an area.  Obviously, if I thought it was too hard I'd want traps to just auto-poof.
  • Actually, I said I gave him the solution of 4 hours decay time. In fact I was more draconian and said 1 hour, he went with 4 hours. Nice use of italics though. Maybe you will learn to use them to quote what is actually said in the future. I doubt it, but one can hope.

I never agreed with Rivius that it was "too hard". I said nobody should have a lockdown mechanic indefinitely on an area. Melds should (and are) be destroyed via mechanics for reasons, Pits/other traps should decay or otherwise be destroyed via mechanics based on whichever reasons the concensus agrees with.
    Demartel said:
    Actually, I said I gave him the solution of 4 hours decay time. In fact I was more draconian and said 1 hour, he went with 4 hours. Nice use of italics though. Maybe you will learn to use them to quote what is actually said in the future. I doubt it, but one can hope.

I never agreed with Rivius that it was "too hard". I said nobody should have a lockdown mechanic indefinitely on an area. Melds should (and are) be destroyed via mechanics for reasons, Pits/other traps should decay or otherwise be destroyed via mechanics based on whichever reasons the concensus agrees with.
    Okay, then I'm unsure why you're trying to claim that I believe that pits are too hard to place down.  My entire argument in this thread is that it is just way too easy, and the only way to slow it down is to have traps pre-placed.  That is not saying that it is "hard" to replace traps that are already there (I do it all the time, as you well know), it is saying that it's the only counter we've got to pits that are too strong.

Address that latter aspect, and then fine, we can look at the rest of it.  But just removing existing pits is a 5x speed multiplier to putting your pits into an area, which is absolutely not necessary.
  • And again. Even with the decay timer, nothing at all would change in Ethereal Glomdoring. Because traps in Org territory would not decay.

4 hours is LOTS of time for a tracker to be proactive and set things up if they want to. Outside org territory lockdown mechanics should never be able to remain indefinately. The only balance it needs is that after 4 hours everyone is on an equal ground. I already pointed out the fallacies in "team 1 got there first". You can choose to ignore them if you like, but the fact remains they are fallacies.
    Demartel said:
    And again. Even with the decay timer, nothing at all would change in Ethereal Glomdoring. Because traps in Org territory would not decay.

4 hours is LOTS of time for a tracker to be proactive and set things up if they want to. Outside org territory lockdown mechanics should never be able to remain indefinately. The only balance it needs is that after 4 hours everyone is on an equal ground. I already pointed out the fallacies in "team 1 got there first". You can choose to ignore them if you like, but the fact remains they are fallacies.
    And other territory doesn't need to have traps that can be placed in it with the speed of lightning, either.  It is not a fallacy to say that traps are too powerful to be allowed to be placed that quickly.  If one person has traps there, they are only in effect if that one person is around (everyone else is delayed).  If there are no traps there, then all trackers have the ability to super-speed fill an area.  It's too darned fast to do, and there is no cost at all if you have coal.
  • I will be perfectly honest here. Pits/spikepits/snakepits should just be deleted entirely. I mean the whole skillset is really just "pits" with the odd springtrap for a reason. If the option of how to balance pits was mine, it would be delete all pits and see what the other traps end up being used as.
    Demartel said:
    I will be perfectly honest here. Pits/spikepits/snakepits should just be deleted entirely. I mean the whole skillset is really just "pits" with the odd springtrap for a reason. If the option of how to balance pits was mine, it would be delete all pits and see what the other traps end up being used as.
    Thank you for laying off of the unnecessary aggressiveness.  Far easier to have a conversation when curses and such are not flying around.  I get that we disagree on what the effect of pit expiring would be, but it seems that we both agree they are too easy to put down.

I actually don't really have a problem with completely redoing pits entirely (which would be functionally the same as removing them) to be something less egregious, or removing them and tweaking the other traps.  The others are mostly deadweight at this point.

I think we can all agree that infinite-comm-free-pits was probably not the best of ideas, either. :p
  • Ideas I'm considering (not all at once):
    • Change traps to per-room instead of per-exit.
    • Have traps fire only on room entrance, not exit.
    • Change pit laying time and reconceal time to 6s (Other traps still same balance).
    • New syntax for a tracker to take control of a trap if you are mutual allies (including from lust!).
    • Traps decay in 1 hour.
    • Remove springtrap chaining entirely.
    • Taking a look at other trap types to make them more attractive.
    • New syntax to fire some of those other traps at a target in the room.
    • Looking at rearming time and climb rocks.
    I actually think pits are cool, and they fill a fantasy archetype that people like. However, when they're spammed all the time they become very annoying.
  • Shedrin said:
    Ideas I'm considering (not all at once):
    • Change traps to per-room instead of per-exit.
    • Have traps fire only on room entrance, not exit.
    • Change pit laying time and reconceal time to 6s (Other traps still same balance).
    • New syntax for a tracker to take control of a trap if you are mutual allies (including from lust!).
    • Traps decay in 1 hour.
    • Remove springtrap chaining entirely.
    • Taking a look at other trap types to make them more attractive.
    • New syntax to fire some of those other traps at a target in the room.
    • Looking at rearming time and climb rocks.
    I actually think pits are cool, and they fill a fantasy archetype that people like. However, when they're spammed all the time they become very annoying.

I really like a lot of these, only on room entrance will stop them being spamable in fights. I would also suggest that traps reset at the death of the tracker?

This discussion has been closed.