Daraius Cake Pics!

Comments

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Holy crap that looks so much more delicious than the box of chocolates I bought for myself.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Delicious styrofoam!
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • I love looking at cake decorating stuff, it's a skill I've always meant to acquire (I can do basic stuff but complicated stuff is out of my range of motion right now).

Have to say, bravo and awesome cakes! Definitely fantastic :D

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• That cake and scepter are just giant masses of icing, aren't they? Or fondant... some sort of nutrition-free sweet substance. You know what I mean.
    edited April 2016
    Everything I post in this thread is nutritionally barren. :)) Anything that's flat (the crown, the horse, the buildings in my Zootopia cake) is typically made from fondant that's either dyed a solid color or hand painted. They dry rigid, so you have to let them dry on a surface that gives them the right curvature if you plan on affixing them to the side of a round cake. 3D things like the scepter and car (and the Death Star and the penguin on this page) are usually made with rice cereal treats covered in fondant. I use that because it's super quick and easy to whip up a batch as needed, and it's fairly easy to mold into simple shapes. When chilled, it becomes pretty stable, and the lumpiness can usually be evened out with a very thin application of frosting and a slightly thicker fondant covering. You could eat those decorations if you wanted to, but we'd warn you to watch out for toothpicks and other inedible supporting elements. The scepter has a big wooden dowel running through it. The cake is what tastes good. Just eat that. :)
    I used to make cakes.

• @Daraius I want to make a simple Star Wars cake for my boyfriend's birthday (in 2 weeks ish) Or possibly just cover it with a bunch of random logos from different things.

Do you think fondant is the way to go for the logos and stuff? I was thinking about just icing the cake the way I normally would and then putting fondant pieces on the icing. Mostly because I am not spending 10 hours on something that's going to be devoured almost immediately.
    Flames erupt from the caldera below as a distorted voice echoes, "Their spirit must be broken if they wish to be reborn as true warriors."
    Yep, that's how I'd do it! We often paint logos and characters well in advance of the cake's due date, so they're dry and stable when it comes time to affix them. A little dab of frosting is usually enough to adhere most flat fondant elements to a frosting-covered cake.
    I used to make cakes.

• Daraius said:
    Yep, that's how I'd do it! We often paint logos and characters well in advance of the cake's due date, so they're dry and stable when it comes time to affix them. A little dab of frosting is usually enough to adhere most flat fondant elements to a frosting-covered cake.
    Hmm. I can likely do them a few days in advance, then, so at least that way if I mess up I've got some time to fix it/redo it.

Thanks!
    Flames erupt from the caldera below as a distorted voice echoes, "Their spirit must be broken if they wish to be reborn as true warriors."
  • @Daraius I'm curious, who comes up with the designs for all these cakes?

Obviously the customer has some input, but is it all on the person making the cakes or you have an art gremlim stashed away, whom you make heavy use of?
    is dead like the dodo
    edited April 2016
    More often than not, the customers will have reference pictures of other cakes they like. Sometimes they want an exact replica of a cake, or they cherry pick the elements they like from several different cakes. The penguin cake, the monster truck, and the rainbow heart cake on this page were all pretty much replicas of someone else's design. 

Other times customers will just have a basic theme in mind, or a few favorite characters and concepts they want to see on the cake. For instance, for the Star Wars cake on this page, the customer said Alex really liked the Death Star, Luke Skywalker, and Darth Vader. In those cases, I pitch a few design options that incorporate the elements they want in various configurations and price points, and go with the one that fits their theme and budget best. 

And in rare cases they'll give me a theme, a price they're willing to pay, and leave the rest to me. That results in things like the LotR cake or the Walking Dead cake, from a few pages back. All the seasonal display cakes (summer movies, tacky sweater, V-day hearts, Zootopia) are also pulled from the void without external input. I use those to experiment with different techniques. The ones that come out of my imagination tend to be the ones I'm most proud of. ;;) 

So nothing so convenient as an art gremlin, I'm afraid. I guess that's me for all intents and purposes, but I definitely don't self-identify as an artist. If you asked me to draw any of these cakes you can bet it'd look like dookie. :))
    I used to make cakes.

• that's weeeird. The fondant logos and the buildings, do you just pull up reference? 'cause there's no way you can draw all that without -some- kind of drawing ability. I bet if I got ahold of you and trained you to be familiar with pencil and paper, you would draw just fiiiiine.

(only I'd have to make sure you don't eat your work, being not make of cake!)
    is dead like the dodo
  • There's no way you aren't an artist, @Daraius. You have a mastery of the colour wheel and can draw.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Art is definitely so much more than just drawing. You have a creative skill, don't devalue what you have because you lack a different one! Maybe you don't think of yourself as being an artist, and that's fine, but what you create is art all the same. :)
  • @Daraius if not drawing, I bet you could sculpt stuff. A bit like making cakes, only you're not limited to cake-shaped objects.
    is dead like the dodo
  • My theory is that none of these customers exist and @Daraius eats all of the cakes himself. No judgment.
  • That valentine's day cake is stunning. So pretty.

And I f***** hate that holiday.
  • Oh, darn, I thought that pink tendril in the center was a Kethuru tentacle poking up through a city!!!
    Daraius said:
    Here's what I've been working on for the last forever. 

• Dear @Daraius,

I was crying a lot today because of stress and I looked at your cakes. They made me happy. Just wanted to randomly rave for them, and their superior aesthetics.

Love,

Salami
    The apple is cold, crisp, and sour as the juices fill your mouth. As you consume the fruit, you glimpse, for a moment, a massive, shadowy figure, Her snow-white hair framing a perfect, icy-eyed visage. Beneath you, a vast, perfect web of silken strands lies - and, for a moment, you realize that you too are part of it, weaver and strand both - and home.
  • Where have you gone, cake pictures. :(
    Is there a problem, officer?
    I used to make cakes.

• I only see Oops! stickers. All this cake is a lie. :(
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Yeah, every cake is now an Oops.
    How strange. I haven't changed any of the links here or on Photobucket. Let's see if I can diagnose this one...
    I used to make cakes.