Reign - The Mafia Game Thread - English Mafia Win!

Comments

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Yeah he's from the show. That's why Kira said that.

The show is still based off of historical events. Assuming that King Henry dies and the next heir apparent is here, there can be an event that Sylandra brought up to throw us a curve ball. I just thought to mention the history for it because shit didn't happen in history till after King Henry died.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.

• Silvanus said:
    Yeah he's from the show. That's why Kira said that.

The show is still based off of historical events. Assuming that King Henry dies and the next heir apparent is here, there can be an event that Sylandra brought up to throw us a curve ball. I just thought to mention the history for it because shit didn't happen in history till after King Henry died.
    And... honestly. I think this is a very good point. I still think that religion is going to be the main source of conflict, even if allegiances are initially declared through nationality, but it's possible, even probable, that this conflict only starts up if/when King Henry dies. Back during the Chimaera game, the serial killer didn't start acting until scum had tried to off him once (thrice...). Could be something similar going on here.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Can someone please tell me what OMGUS is? (Thanks to Vivet for explaining FoS). If we could refrain from using acronyms this old-timer who doesn't know all the cool kid lingo would really appreciate it.

• OMGUS = Oh my God, You suck. Means a vote made in retaliation for being voted against.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Thank you!

That's weird Tekora. 

Because I haven't voted for you since day one. I had no idea what OMGUS meant.

If you read what I said, instead of just taking out parts of it, you would have noticed that I said you were town, and specifically didn't vote for you. And haven't voted for you since day one.

You are the only one that has been doing an OMGUS, against me. Besides whatever the hell Chirbo is doing.

I have yet to cast a vote since day one, you have voted for me once and tried to get other people to vote for me. I believed you were town.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • You haven't voted for me, but you've certainly launched into attacks on my credibility and character.

Also, I never voted for you on Day 1.

But please, do continue with how you believe I'm town. It's an improvement from you claiming that I tried to night-vig you last night.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Vivet said:
    Chirbo said:
    And of course I'm encouraging to kill, we have non-Catholic people killing us in the night. We need to sort this out Shaddus :(
    This was your post before you voted for Luce. This ultimately frames you in a rather poor light now, as you were likely not intending to reveal at all. Bad form to even joke about such things in these situations.
    Chirbo said:
    I'm just saying we wasted 6 votes. I really think Tek might be a baddie or maybe Kira.

why are you wasting a day phase on me
    You've not really helped generate discussion so much, and it really shows here. You had a perfect opportunity to go to greater lengths to explain your perspectives. Why not?

Also, a request of clarification from Sylandra:

Sylandra said:
    Current Vote Count Update:

Silvanus - Tekora (1)

Lavinya - Celina (1)

Luce - Chirbo (1)

Kiradawea - Ushaara (1)

Chirbo - Shaddus, Allyrianne, Falmiis, Othero, Synkarin (6)

None - Lavinya (1)

Tekora is currently unlynchable for the rest of the dayphase, by Ushaara's official decree.

Luce is unable to vote this dayphase, due to a swollen tongue inflicted upon him by Chirbo. 

In the kingdom of France, it currently takes the vote of 8 nobles to lynch a member of the court.
    If you count the number of people voting on Chirbo, there are five. But the vote count is six. This might mean that one of the nobles voting counts as two votes. Or it is a typo. Can we get a confirmation on whether the number is correct?

Oh gosh typo! I removed Luce from the names but forgot to adjust the number. Good catch.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    I do agree with you, that we need to find out factions.

I believe you are Princess Claude.

I am not sure what faction you are loyal too.

House de Medici historically has had influence on the Pope itself. France is about to fall into religious turmoil. Catherine de Medici is the secondary influence in King Henry's life. The main influence is Diane de Poiters, his mistress, that actually arranged the marriage between Catherine and King Henry. His mistress sleeps with him every night. According to history, when King Henry was childless during his earlier years in his reign, his mistress forced him to sleep with Catherine de Medici. That is how much influence Diane de Poiters had on the politics of France. 

The history of the de Medici family is one on the outside of French politics, being a mercantile house from Italy. I am sure you have researched the historical Princess Claude, and really, just the daughters of Catherine de Medici and the whole house in general. You know that historically, the de Medici had far greater influence on French politics than the Valois family. All you have to do is read the wikipedia of Catherine de Medici to find out how little influence they had in France while Henry is alive:

"Henry allowed Catherine almost no political influence as queen"
    "Henry gave the Château of Chenonceau, which Catherine had wanted for herself, to Diane de Poitiers"
    "Henry would sit on Diane's lap and play the guitar, chat about politics, or fondle her breasts"
    "Diane never regarded Catherine as a threat. She even encouraged the king to sleep with Catherine and sire more children."s

Now, after Henry dies abruptly in a tournament celebrating his daughter's marriage, Catherine takes over. Note, Princess Claude is still only 12 years old at this time.  While it seems that Sylandra based this off the show, we have to at least take historical fact into equation. You are a 12 year old, club footed, hunchback. You are merely a pawn of your mother. Your mother is a second rate courtesan in French politics because Henry prefers Diane over Catherine. I bring this up because you mention factional politics. 

We have been focused on either nationality and religion because that is what the information provided to us has been. We are either Catholic, like any true god-fearing Man, or (Protestant/Huguenot), or something else entirely, maybe Waldensian. We know we are in the realm of France. Sylandra mentioned the English. Queen Mary is of Scotland is most likely present. House de Medici is of Italian origin, though I am unsure of their involvement. Getting more talk about the possible factions are an important step before completing the day, I agree with you on that statement since day one.

Maybe I have been playing too much Crusader Kings and involved in factional and family politics and am a bit paranoid, but I am not sure of the loyalty of Princess Claude towards the realm of France itself. House de Medici advanced it's position a lot after the death of King Henry.

Tekora said:
    You haven't voted for me, but you've certainly launched into attacks on my credibility and character.

But please, do continue with how you believe I'm town. It's an improvement from you claiming that I tried to night-vig you last night.
    I would like to point out that I never said you voted for me day 1. I am not sure how your reading credibility at this point, but I am just going to requote my post:

Silvanus said:
    That's weird Tekora. 

If you read what I said, instead of just taking out parts of it, you would have noticed that I said you were town, and specifically didn't vote for you. And haven't voted for you since day one.

You are the only one that has been doing an OMGUS, against me. Besides whatever the hell Chirbo is doing.

I have yet to cast a vote since day one, you have voted for me once and tried to get other people to vote for me. I believed you were town.

Tekora said:
    I'm still of the opinion that we should lynch Silvanus on account of being the only one of us caught in a lie that was also part of an OMGUS. Vote's sticking on him.
    I said you voted for me once. Which you have. I never said on what day. Your vote was also after I had voted for you, which explains the OMGUS definition. I haven't voted for you since you voted for me. You called me out an OMGUS vote. I haven't voted for you since day one. You are the only with a reactionary vote against me

I'm honestly just confused if you are unable to read or not or just purposely lying at this point.

Is this now four lies or four mistakes that you've made?
  • This might be because it's my first time with proper Mafia or because I've been out of school for too long but all of these accusations are going far over my head. I'm personally extremely suspicious of Tekora and Luce, who both point at each other then point away, especially with the opening move on day one, though I suppose I can't really explain why I feel that way. I also feel like there's a weird triangle relationship between Tekora, Luce and Allyrianne. 

I'm skeptical of how easily motion to lynch Chribo passed, even if he has made an unusual selection of actions. 

I'm flattered that someone tried to act on my in the first night, though! 
    And while my vote doesn't mean much, I'm still of the opinion that voting to remove Chirbo is not in our best interest so I'm going to Vote No one
     for now
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • Honestly? If Chirbo isn't a jester, or if he doesn't have any other kind of ulterior motive for having us lynch him, then lynching him would definitely be our best bet, even if he is loyal to France, for one simple reason: It would give us a better understanding of how the religious (and national) schisms work.
  • Has passed so far, rather. Chirbo is still with us!
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • Anyway, @Chirbo: Since you are not a Catholic, I assume you are Protestant? Or are you something else? Can you shed some insight into the religious schism?
  • Silvanus said:
    Tekora said:
    You haven't voted for me, but you've certainly launched into attacks on my credibility and character.

I would like to point out that I never said you voted for me day 1. I am not sure how your reading credibility at this point, but I am just going to requote my post:

Silvanus said:
    That's weird Tekora. 

Tekora said:
    I'm still of the opinion that we should lynch Silvanus on account of being the only one of us caught in a lie that was also part of an OMGUS. Vote's sticking on him.
    I said you voted for me once. Which you have. I never said on what day. Your vote was also after I had voted for you, which explains the OMGUS definition. I haven't voted for you since you voted for me. You called me out an OMGUS vote. I haven't voted for you since day one. You are the only with a reactionary vote against me

I'm honestly just confused if you are unable to read or not or just purposely lying at this point.

Is this now four lies or four mistakes that you've made?

Will someone else explain to Silvanus that that's not how an OMGUS works? I'm done talking to him, he's had a never-ending supply of aggro on me since the first interaction we had.
  • Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    Tekora said:

Silvanus LIED. Bold-faced lied, got caught in it and went back on what he said, because he realized what he said was completely unverifiable, stupid and frankly, narcissistic.

It's the most blatant OMGUS I've ever seen, and it's why you all should vote for Silvanus today.

Here we go. Tekora says I did the most blatant OMGUS ever, because apparently I suck. Which I admitted too. I made a mistake. Here is the mafia definition for OMGUS:

"OMGUS stands for "Oh My God, You Suck (for voting for me)!". it is sometimes used as a shorthand to indicate that you are voting for someone primarily because they voted for you."

What am I missing? I haven't voted for you since day one. You have only responded by voting for me. You have tried to drum up support to vote me off since after I had voted for you. You have picked and pulled at random parts of posts to attempt to build a narrative. When confronted, your responses have been negative, short and dismissive.

The only OMGUS vote so far has been yours. I voted for you. You responded by voting for me. You provided no reason on your initial voting for me. Here's the initial vote for me, after Synkarin called you out:
    Tekora said:
    You want heat on Silvanus?

Vote: Silvanus

There you go, now onto more important matters. 

The reason I'm understating Scenario 3 is because I know it's not true and it's a distraction to what we should be focusing on. If someone wants to try substantiating it for some reason, let them bring up the evidence and do the foot work to prove it.

Instead, we should be focusing on what we can substantiate among the rest of us. The people who acted last night know who they are and who they targeted. I can personally substantiate that getting acted on during the night means that Sylandra sends you a very nice flavor message. And the fact that I'm alive today tells me personally that the jailer is a townie.
    Now onto more important matters? You provided absolutely no information at all. You talk about never ending supply of aggression on you since the first interaction we had? Who started that interaction, let's focus on the true douchebaggery here:

Silvanus said:
    Falmiis said:
    Othero reminds me of Othello, who was the "Moor of Venice". French in neither origin nor nationality. Just saying.
    And! We just lost our territories in Italy. Double suspicion!

I usually have no problem voting no lynch on day one, but it seems like a waste of the day when there isn't some discussion. I mean, in two pages, we've already seen someone flip flop their vote.
    This was my first post? You followed immediately with:

Tekora said:

I'm a fan of techniques others might consider untraditional. Perhaps you'd like me to teach you? 
    A bit of a condescending response, but if you want to play that way, I suppose I'll respond sarcastically:

Silvanus said:

Oh yes wise and all powerful great one! Why don't you teach us plebeians how to play the game of thrones.

Tekora said:

Ugh. Sarcasm is so unattractive.
    Tekora has started off being an aggressive, self-inflated ass.
    Tekora said:
    Synkarin said:
    Unvote

I was putting pressure because your keep going off the deepend. Your 'plans for actions' don't solve anything and are thus a waste of time, they are random, sarcastic, exaggerated and really just odd. You misrepresent what people are saying, then accuse them of putting words in your mouth. 

But I can't vote for Princess Claude.

By the way Tekora - you've been caught in several lies. The most prominent being 'I can't vote for no lynch day one' and then voting for 'no lynch' day one. You are pretty free with the truth.

That's not a lie, that's changing my mind. I said specifically that I'm abrasive, and not obstinate. And when a vote gets to be 7 out of 9 and no one else wants to talk anymore, there's no use prolonging the inevitable.

Besides, look at all the great information that Night 1 and Day 2 have brought us!
    So she is willing to talk about how she can change her mind, because that's not a lie, but then calls me out for one mistake in a post? Could I not have changed my mind, and realized that I did not need to be protected?

Quite simply, Tekora is playing as a seasoned veteran Mafia user attempting to play with a bunch of plebians. She uses fancy terms, she tries to dictate the conversation, she ignores information that means nothing to her, and she calls people out with absolutely no information. She has lied. She has been caught in the lie. And she has ignored all responses to it (except for her "changing her mind,").

I have not done an OMGUS vote. An OMGUS vote is reactionary, here is the setup quoted on Mafia:

Ryoushi: I am going to Vote: Purgation because I don't like any of the other bandwagons.

Purgation: OMG, you suck. Vote Ryoushi.

Ryoushi: I didn't expect that kind of response, though..

In case you don't want to go read the link, here is some more info: 

"It can be used as an "excuse" for a Random Vote near the beginning of the game, or as a retaliation when someone is close to being lynched, as a vent against the frustration (even if the player being voted for has no reasonable chance of being Lynched).

Occasionally a Scum player will use it to cover a strategic vote, feigning outrage to get someone else closer to a lynch."

I have filled out zero of these qualifications. You have accused me the most blatant OMGUS you've ever seen, which is confusing. I did not reactionary vote. I have only defended myself using your words. I was never in danger of being lynched, you are the only one to have vote for me. And my whole reasoning for voting for you on Day one was because you flip flopped your vote so quickly, which you did once more on Day one to "No Lynch" after you said you wouldn't (but you can change your mind and no one else can, so its ok). 

If the OMGUS is in reference to my mistake, welp, I am human, and I made mistakes, when I was trying to process the possible scenarios of how you weren't jailed, because let's face it, you weren't. Lavinya was. Her flavor message directly quoted the guards taking her away, yours didn't.

TL/DR: You are the only one that has done an OMGUS vote. You lied about being jailed and presented false scenarios because it furthers your agenda. I have not voted for you since day one.

Ugh, stupid forums, stupid no editting, stupid broken quote bars. I wish I could clean that up. Apologies!
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Well this is getting dramatic. 

I'm not inclined to call Tekora's jail claim a "lie," consider a couple games ago where I misinterpreted night action messages that were visions and was called out on it as a liar/scum. I was, in fact, town. Flavor messages are sometimes designed to be be ambiguous, and Sylandra appears to be no stranger to dramatic, dynamic Mafia games. 

That being said, Tekora did come out of the gate full aggro and is only getting the same in response. If not for the recent jail claim, I would be inclined to vote for Tekora. However, because of the attention brought on by that claim, it makes no sense to me that Tekora would be scum.

So I think you are just arguing with one another a la Riluna and I. I think our attentions are better focused elsewhere. 
    I agree completely, but Tekora has consistently called me out, and I have responded defensively. I have been willing to move on, and bring up historical fact, like how shit didn't hit the fan in France till King Henry dies.

How Princess Claude is a 12 year old, club footed, hunchback that has roleblocking powers.

How Catherine de Medici may be the Queen but is clearly the second woman in France. Does she desire more and use her children?

How we still do not know the factions. You mention Sylandra appears to be no stranger to dramatic mafia games, and how flavor messages are designed to be ambiguous. She clearly mentions the English and possible other sympathizers. Are we sure the English are the main threat down here?

How Chirbo claims to be not Catholic but loyal to France. It would be interesting to find out more there.

How the Huguenot revolution and religious wars did not take off until after King Henry dies. If King Henry dies, since it's clearly been apart of each message saying he sits on the Throne, what happens then? Historically, his weak son takes over, the Huguenots try to kidnap him, and some Duke's of France (I think the Queen Regent's uncles or the King's uncles) massacres a bunch of Huguenots. Is that a possibility?

We have a lot of questions that need answering, and Chirbo coming clean before we decide to lynch him or not would be helpful. As Ssaliss mentions, lynching Chirbo could be a good start to find out more about factions.
    Would it be helpful for people to state their names but not their powers?
    To be clear that I'm not trying to force anyone out, it's just an idea, and if people agree to it I don't mind starting.
  • I'd suggest being relatively cautious about that. For instance, I'm not sure we want everyone to know who the King is yet...
    Agreed, but, without revealing my hand (I'm not the king) I'm not certain that's the worst idea. 

I think it's either this approach OR we hang poor Chirbo for being awkward. Which I'm also not opposed to to get things moving. 
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Current Vote Count Update:

Silvanus - Tekora (1)

Lavinya - Celina (1)

Luce - Chirbo (1)

Kiradawea  - Ushaara (1)

Chirbo - Shaddus, Allyrianne, Falmiis, Synkarin, Lavinya (5)

None - Yarith (1)

Tekora is currently unlynchable for the rest of the dayphase, by Ushaara's official decree.

Luce is unable to vote this dayphase, due to a swollen tongue inflicted upon him by Chirbo. 

In the kingdom of France, it takes the word of 8 nobles to lynch a member of the court.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • I'm not inherently against voting for Chirbo, it's just that it seems like he's asking for it, and that's something that worries me tremendously. He either has a hidden agenda which requires him to be lynched, or he's playing a dangerous reverse-psychology game.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Silvanus is basing his assumptions more to historical accuracy, whereas I have just binge watched episodes of the show. The following would be the state of the board as I see it based on picking characters from the show, and why I think the factions are Scottish/French/English, rather than the de Medici.

SCOTLAND (currently allied to France, maybe mixed religion)
    ————
    Mary (Catholic)
    Kenna
    Lola
    Greer

FRENCH (assume Catholic)
    ———
    Henry Valois
    Catherine de Medici
    Francis Valois
    Sebastian du Poitier
    Claude Valois - Tekora

OUTSIDERS
    —————
    Aloysius Castleroy (P) - Chirbo - claims French loyalty
    ?
    ?

ENGLISH (all Protestant)
    ————
    Elizabeth Tudor
    ?
    ?
    ?

POWERS IN PLAY
    ———————
    Governor (confirmed - Ushaara)
    Voteblocker (confirmed - Chirbo)

Roleblocker (unconfirmed roleclaim by Tekora)

Jailer (unconfirmed use on Lavinya)
    Roleblocker/Jailer (unconfirmed use on Tekora)

Potential Curveballs?
    ——————————-
    Henry goes mad in the show - lunatic arsonist?

Scottish/French alliance fails due to death of Francis/Mary - new win conditions?
    1) for Scots, outnumber Protestants + French?
    2) for French, outnumber Protestants + Scottish?
    3) no change for English, outnumber Scottish/French

To throw off show canon roles?
    1) one/more of Mary's ladies-in-waiting is an English agent?
    2) one/more of House Valois is an English agent?

For the two unfilled outsider roles, one of which could be a pagan lunatic (or maybe the ghost in the walls character), and then I'm not sure what sort of affiliation to make the last, but would guess at it maybe being Leith, a servant rising through the ranks.

Since Sylandra has introduced characters from Season 2, and the English aren't being too prominent in Season 1 other than as an off-screen threat, the mafia may just be agents of the English and I'm not up to speed on which roles those might be. That Elizabeth is in I think is likely though to represent the English challenge to Mary for Scottish throne if the French/Scot alliance fails, and as leader of the mafia.

Chirbo claiming loyal French but Protestant might put him in as a Survivor, last protestant alive in a French win condition.
  • I still think that Tekora may have run afoul of a rolestopper, rather than a roleblocker or jailer, (ie, someone was preventing all other actions against Yarith specifically)

But otherwise I think Ushaara's layout makes sense.

I continue to be incredibly suspicious of the fact that Chirbo's character, as he's admitted under duress isn't catholic. I also don't particularly see a better direction to go. I can understand Silvanus's continued suspicions of the Medici family, and I think that depends a little on how show vs history Sylandra's mixed the roles.

It's worth noting that it looks like in the show, Diane's a pretty prominent character who plots to get her illegitimate son legitimised, so that could be one way Henry's succession could go.
    Well I was reading the bios of some of those characters mentioned in the show, and especially Sebastian de Poitiers(who isn't real). From what I can gather, the push for his legitimization stemmed from the Nostradamus prediction about King Henry, which the show adapted for Francis. If he marries Mary, they die. But the prophecy changes and Sebastian loses out and chases the thing called The Darkness, a pagan. Finding out what religion Chirbo is would be important before advancing the day.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Ahem. Bonjour, je m'appelle Jehanne. I am a chambermaid serving my lady, and as she is indisposed due to monsieur  Chirbo's actions, I will be interpreting for he.

She wishes to point out that monsieur Chirbo's actions do not exonerate him, and that she would have pressed for his execution on his lack of faith alone. She also wishes me to note that the monsieur's best use of the prank would have likely been to reduce the total count to allow for a lynch earlier than anticipated, as removing a count from a currently building motion also lowers the required count. She feels that the conversation between Monsieur Synkarin and Princess Claude is a distraction at this moment, and that if we are to execute Monsieur Chirbo, it would be best to decide so now, and follow through with it rather than choosing a second target.

Madame also states that should Mary not be with the current group, she will be quite cross. L'élégance de l'événement demands her presence.