Reign - The Mafia Game Thread - English Mafia Win!

Comments

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Don't worry, Tekora. I got your afterlife-back.

For what it's worth, anyways.

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Daraius said:
    (Once again following this almost exclusively for the moderator's storytelling. @Sylandra you are killing it. Killing everyone. :x )
    Moderating a mafia game is a creative writing student's dream procrastination tool! :\">
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    All night actions are officially in! Stay tuned for what will be a doozy of messages, and a doozy of a daypost.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Well, off to work. I'll be back in 10-11 hours, hopefully still alive at that point.
    edited February 2016
    The unthinkable takes place on the dawn of the seventh day of the siege: Elizabeth's forces have found their way inside the catacombs.

With so much time to become acquainted with the passageways, the nobles rouse from their slumber quickly to take to hidden corridors, hearts pounding as they attempt to escape what could very well be the end of their constantly-shortening lives. Horrified, bloodcurdling screams rip through the eerie calm of early daybreak, punctuated by bouts of hysterical sobbing. The sound of metal against flesh and against stone is a constant thrum of white noise echoing throughout. Some of you have been lucky, and others, not so lucky it would seem. Is this it, the remaining nobles wonder? Is this the end?

How could this happen, so suddenly and without warning? How could no one have seen this coming?

Eventually, the attackers draw back, though for what purpose none can say. It seems a tactical retreat, an intentional delay--and for that, the French nobles are very wary indeed.

Caught in the eye of the storm, the living nobles hesitantly return to their meeting ground to count their remaining numbers between them. To their dismay, two nobles have fallen, and in a particularly grisly manner.

The heads of Silvanus and Ushaara smile up at the nobles, frozen in shock at the moment of their beheading.

Silvanus was...

[King Henry II of France]

You are the proud King Henry II of France, father of Dauphin Francis, and husband to Queen Catherine de’ Medici; your marriage is, however, a political one, as your passionate love affair with Diane de Poitiers is common knowledge in the court. You desire more than anything to see the kingdoms of France, Scotland, and England united under House Valois, and with Francis’s marriage to Mary Queen of Scots, this dream is suddenly possible. After all, the only true Catholic heir to England is Mary of Scotland; horror of horrors, her cousin Elizabeth is both a bastard and a Protestant, making her decidedly unfit to rule.

The vile English Protestants, however, do not share your wisdom and judgment. That they would dare lay siege to the French court is an outrage against God! You must rain fire and brimstone on the infidels, and banish them from your court.

You are allied, of course, with France. You are Catholic, lending an ear to the Pope like any true God-fearing man. You win when all threats to France are eliminated.

To the Dungeon!: You may, at night, throw a member of court into the dungeon, removing them from play. They can take no action and cannot be acted upon for this period of time. [Jailer Power – Cannot target yourself.]

It’s Good to Be the King: The one soul you trust above all others is the beautiful Diane de Poitiers, your mistress, whom you share your chambers with every night. [Mason Power – Can talk to Diane’s player during the Nightphase.]

[UNLOCKED BY: Mary's death

As much as you dislike Mary Stewart's death ruining your plans for House Valois's rule of England, it must be said that her death gives you greater power over Scotland. As such, it only makes more sense that your word would hold greater weight in the days to come.

The Royal We: You may, ONCE, condemn a member of court publicly with such vehemence that your word has the power of two kingdoms. After all, is not a king worth more in the eyes of God? Simply announce, “I condemn [target] in the eyes of God and men.” [One-time use. Will take half as many votes to lynch the target.]]

With sickening regret, it seems as if everyone present already suspects who Ushaara must have been.

Ushaara was...

[Dauphin Francis Valois]

As Francis, the Dauphin of France, you are the first in line to the French throne, and through your marriage to Mary, Queen of Scots, you are now the King Consort of Scotland as well. You are fortunate to have found love in your political union (something that, alas, cannot be said for your parents), though you have begun to have grave doubts about your ability to produce an heir. Your wife holds the strongest Catholic claim to England, after all, and that coupled with the rights to France and to Scotland… well, that would be an empire well worth bestowing upon the next Dauphin of House Valois.

You are, of course, allied with France. You are a staunch Catholic. You win when all threats to France are eliminated.

Laws of Succession: When your father, King Henry II, dies, you will assume the throne of France.

Dauphin of France: You may, once per player, passionately appeal for the innocence of a member of court, preventing them from being l­­ynched. Due to your standing as the Dauphin of France, all will back down and heed your demand. You need only say, “I take [Person] under my protection” to invoke this during the Dayphase. [Governor Power]

Something in you had been convinced that between the two of you, you would always die before Mary. The fact that she has left you so suddenly leaves you aggrieved, speechless with guilt that perhaps this was somehow your doing. How strange to think so, when all this is the fault of Elizabeth Tudor, and not you. Yet the guilt somehow remains. Was it your marital alliance that threatened Elizabeth Tudor so? In that case, you cannot help but feel you must atone for your sins.

Confession: You may, ONCE, choose a night to withdraw for prayer and ask God for forgiveness on behalf of Mary’s soul. [You will essentially leave the game for that night, effectively avoiding all night actions targeted upon your person.]]

With the king and his immediate heir dead, that leaves Catherine de Medici as Queen Regent of France and Scotland.

Yet what is Catherine left queen of, exactly?

Ssaliss, Allyrianne, Celina and Lavinya remain the sole survivors of what had been a company of sixteen men and women.

Ssaliss speaks first: "We don't have a moment to lose. We have to kill Allyrianne. She's the one who finished off the Princess yesterday, and she's the only one who could have ordered the attack on Silvanus and Ushaara."

There's an instant relief on Celina's face at Ssaliss's words. Were he disloyal to France, it would all be over. There are just enough of them to end this madness. "Lavinya," she says, "join us. We must avenge Henry's death the only way we know how."

But Lavinya and Allyrianne stand stoic, a slow smile spreading on both of their faces.

"I like seeing you like this," Lavinya says at last. "I like watching you beg. Do it again."

Fury courses through Celina's body as she lunges at Lavinya, shouting, "You fool, our country is weak! The English can strike at any moment. Without Henry, without Francis, we are at the mercy of nations! I command you, as the Queen of France, to obey me."

"I no longer answer to France," Lavinya says, her voice cold. "Henry is dead. I am no fool, Catherine. I know what you think of me, and what you tell your children to think of me. I will not be part of a France whose leaders despise me as you do." She turns now to Allyrianne, kneeling at her feet. "Why would I obey a de Medici whore, over a Tudor Queen?"

So it is that Allyrianne steps forward, finally removing the elaborate crimson-and-gold mask from her face with a flourish of her hand.

Allyrianne is none other than...

[Elizabeth Tudor of England]

Politics is a bloody business, isn’t it? You’ve known that from an early age, ever since your infamous mother, Anne Boleyn, was beheaded by your father. It’s complicated to explain how you can both love and hate someone at the same time, but you know the two emotions can coexist. And that is what you feel towards your cousin, Mary Stewart, truly. Love for her as a kinswoman, and yet hatred for the threat she poses to you. No matter how many call you bastard, you know in your bones that you will be the most powerful queen that England could ever ask for. You imagine a glorious Protestant renaissance and prosperity for the English people—people who Mary Stewart has never known. How dare she claim a right to rule them? How dare the Queen of Scots seek to continue the bloody reign of Mary Tudor, where to be a Protestant is to be feared and to face death and imprisonment?

You are sorry that it has come to this, and yet, you are not sorry. It had to be done to secure your future rule, for the good of England.

You are English, of course, and a zealous Protestant. You win when all threats to your rule in England have been eliminated.

The Cult of the Virgin Queen: It would be foolhardy to take part in a siege like this unless you had planned an escape hatch, wouldn’t it? Should the tides turn and your life be put in danger, you will flee to England. Never fret, though; you can still communicate with your co-conspirators by letter. [Stump Power – When targeted for a nightkill or lynch, will leave the game rather than die, only participating in the Mafia conversations at night. Will not activate if Elizabeth is the last mafia standing. This ability will be kept hidden from those outside the English Mafia.]

Protestant’s Prayer: You may, once, fervently pray for the success of your holy mission, allowing the kill that the Mafia perform that night to force itself through any protections. [1-Time Strongarm Power – Kill must be conducted by other member of the Mafia, however, unless only Elizabeth remains.]

Across the English Channel: As much as you enjoy making the French squirm, you do have a country to (hopefully) run, and it would be a shame if you didn't have the opportunity to step forward the moment dying Mary Tudor breathed her last. Every other night, you may return to England, though you can continue to speak with your co-conspirators by letter. [Commuter Power - Every other night,you may leave the game; no actions will be able to be performed on you. You cannot perform the kill if commuting. You can still communicate with the English Mafia at night while commuting.]

The Sun Never Sets on the British Empire: As the head of the English mafia, you may speak with your fellow compatriots throughout the night, and agree on whom to execute for crimes against England. [Mafia]

You cry with joy and elation upon the news of Mary Stewart's death. At last, at last, no one impedes your path to the English throne! Well, except for the pesky French, you suppose, who will be none too happy with you and intent on seeing you dead for your act of espionage. Of course, that's why you cannot simply leave; to do that is to leave a powerful France allied with Scotland, and that simply wouldn't do. No, you'll have to clean this mess you started up, and quickly. And that means making use of your men sieging upstairs.

Off With His Head!: You may, once per night, inform a guard of where a noble is resting in the catacombs. They will take note of that location, and strike when you give the order. [Arsonist Power - Can choose to add or remove someone to the list of victims ONCE per night. This counts as your night action.]

*Note: If you are lynched/nightkilled and sent to England, and if you are not the last mafia member standing, you can still trigger the siege, but you can no longer add or remove names to the list of targets.]

[UNLOCKED BY: Robert Dudley's death
    How dare the French take Robert Dudley from you? Robert, who was your dearest love and closest companion all those years... You shake your head, infuriated. Whoever crosses you next will surely pay in retribution. This you solemnly swear as the future Queen of England.

Woman Scorned: The next time you are targeted in the night, whoever it is that targets you will, instead of completing their action, be met by an English guard, who will slay them instantly on sight. Once activated, remains in effect for the whole night. [1-Time Revenge Power]]

"You put up an admirable fight, Queen Catherine," Allyrianne--no, Elizabeth--says with regal poise. "But sadly, I grow bored of letting you Frenchmen live. As I understand it, Mary Tudor has died just this morning. What a thing of beauty it would be, to have both the Regent Queen of France, and the Pope Himself as hostages in my possession, no? I am certain that House Bourbon would be quite interested to hear that France and Scotland require a... change in leadership, shall we say."

The English guardsmen thought to have vanished now withdraw from the shadows as if by magic, taking both Celina and Ssaliss by the arms. So it is that a new era dawns upon England, and upon France and Scotland as well, with the legend of House Valois and Mary Stewart fading into the recesses of history, doomed to be written over by their victors.
    Daraius said:
    THE SIEGE HAS ENDED ON THE SEVENTH DAY
    THE ENGLISH MAFIA HAVE EMERGED VICTORIOUS!
    QUEEN ELIZABETH TUDOR SITS ON THE THRONE OF ENGLAND
    LONG MAY SHE REIGN!
    Daraius said:
    Ah, I had been expecting this for a while now, and was hoping Allyrianne would indeed be Queen Elisabeth and win. She played a strong game until the Lola claim, imo, which is where it started to get shaky... but luck was on her side anyways! Very well done, @Allyrianne!
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Silvanus you bastard.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    WHAT A FINAL TWIST OMG. My turncoat role unlocked after Silvanus died which is what actually changed the outcome. Wow wow wow. Sniped a win. Ha!

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    YOU RUINED MY REIGN YOU BITCH
    Final post of roles and night actions incoming! I also have a list of potential twists that could have happened depending on choices that people made, but that will take me a bit to compile so give me another day for those, ha.
    Daraius said:
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Yep, bad call to lose the game.

HOWEVER.

Thanks for the game. Lynching a town never felt so good.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    I'll wait until I see all the roles before I give my final assessment on game balance, but I think I'm more or less still where I was on my stance prior, Sylandra.
    If your death hadn't made me flip to mafia, Silvanus, we would have lynched Allyrianne and won.

Also guessing the roses was related to the arsonist power?

Lavinya said:
    If your death hadn't made me flip to mafia, Silvanus, we would have lynched Allyrianne and won.

Also guessing the roses was related to the arsonist power?
    Yes.
    Daraius said:
    And of course, the change in the air was the one time bypass-all kill, which is why it "roleblocked" Tekora.
    edited February 2016
    Remaining Unrevealed Roles:

[Diane de Poitiers] - Lavinya

To many in France, you are simply an upstart whore, no better than Anne Boleyn of England. You’re no fool, however. Your love affair with King Henry II has existed since before his marriage to Catherine de Medici, and your high standing as the king’s mistress has earned you standing and respect even with the Pope. You’re a practical woman, after all; unlike a certain beheaded British noblewoman, you don’t begrudge a kingdom its political alliances and legitimate heirs. Lest anyone forget, it is at your encouragement that King Henry beds his shrew of a wife at all. Still, rumors carry, and your reputation among the citizenry is mixed, to put it politely. However, there is only one opinion that matters in France: the opinion of the King. With his love, all the hatred in the world can amount to nothing.

You are French and Catholic, lending an ear to the Pope like any God-fearing woman ought to. You win when all threats to France are eliminated.

Royal Mistress: The one soul you trust above all others is King Henry II, whom you share your chambers with every night. [Mason Power – Can talk to Henry’s player during the Nightphase.]

[HIDDEN SKILL: Will join the English Mafia if Henry dies before her.]

---

[Louis de Bourbon, Prince of Conde] - Othero

With all this treason afoot, and the loyalties of the French, the Scottish, and the English being called into question, it’s quite fortunate that no one is paying attention to Navarre. Except you, as a Bourbon prince, of course. Your ancestors held a claim to the Kingdom of France, one that the Catholic dynasty of House Valois has rudely usurped. In this time of weakness, you could restore the Bourbon line upon the French throne—and what better alliance can you make than with Elizabeth, the Protestant heir of England? She might be the only person who hates the French Dauphin and his Scottish wife more than you. You’re a handsome, charming fellow, but that doesn’t mean you won’t get your gloves dirty. France is due for a revolution, and long overdue for a Protestant king.

You are Navarran and Protestant, both denying the word of the Pope and denying the legitimacy of House Valois’s right to rule France. You are allied with England in your bid for the French throne, and thus allied against the French court and their Scottish alliance. You win when all threats to Elizabeth’s rule—and consequently, your own—have been eliminated.

Prince of the Blood: Your ability to charm women may not be due to your standing as a Prince, but your royal pedigree certainly doesn’t hurt matters. Every night, you may flatter a noble of the court into forgetting their duties, effectively blocking any political intrigue they may have planned for the night. [Roleblocker Power]

The Sun Never Sets on the British Empire: As an ally of the English mafia, you may speak with your fellow compatriots throughout the night, and agree on whom to execute for crimes against England. [Mafia]

*Note: You cannot both commit the kill for the Mafia and roleblock a target in the same night.

[UNLOCKED BY: Robert Dudley's death

These English are getting sloppy, no? You cannot imagine a Bourbon being so egregiously obvious as that in a game of espionage and intrigue. For this reason, you believe you ought to clean up your own act, just to pick up any loose ends your dearly departed friend might have left behind.

Reputation Is Everything: You may choose a SINGLE noble in the game and make it so that their death shrouds their identity from view when they die. In the ensuing confusion, it is possible that they might forget that unfortunate slip-up of the past day. [Janitor Power - Decide the noble whose death you'd like to see shrouded.]

*Note: Once you decide on the noble, you cannot change your decision!]
    ---

[Queen Catherine de’ Medici] - Celina

You are the formidable Catherine de Medici, Queen Consort of France and wife to King Henry II of House Valois. You have three sons, the eldest of which is the Dauphin of France: Francis, now wed to Mary Queen of Scots. It is expected that when your husband passes on, Francis shall take the crown, though you find the thought of a daughter-in-law with power in her own right an uneasy one. Suffice it to say you are a terror of a mother-in-law.

While you were not born to a crown, the purse of the wealthy de Medici family has allowed you to marry into one, and you have no intention of losing your claim to power. Some call you ruthless. Others, cunning. Only a fool would fail to acknowledge you as a worthy adversary, for you have known your share of noble intrigue all these years in French court. There are whispers of your prominence in poisons, and many consider the fact that you allow the King’s mistress, Diane de Poitiers, to live, a miracle in and of itself.

Though born Italian, you are allied, of course, with France. You are Catholic, simply because it’s politically savvy to be. Truthfully, though, you find religion a dull and tedious subject at best. You win when all threats to France are eliminated.

Laws of Succession: Should King Henry die, and should—God save him—your son Francis die in succession, the next to rule France would be your ten-year-old son, Charles. This would make you Queen Regent in his stead.

Viper of the Court: Your knowledge in the art of poisonings makes you immune to poison. Like any self-respecting poisoner, you of course have a vial of poison on hand, for, well, emergencies. Alas, you only have enough to poison one person. [Nightkill Immunity + 1-Time Vigilante Nightkill]

---

[Pope Pius IV] - Ssaliss

You may not be a King, but half of Western Europe bows to your wisdom and your decrees as the religious leader of the Catholic faith. It’s a difficult time to be the moral compass of the world, however, when so much of it is rebelling against the holy word of God. Luther, and others like him, have opened up the masses to laymen’s interpretation of scripture, which no doubt will lead to all sorts of misunderstandings. And that’s what Protestantism is: one large, unfortunate, irritating misunderstanding. You have lost England once before to a Protestant king, and the thought of Elizabeth Tudor reinstating that lunacy is horrifying to say the least. Far better to support Mary Stewart, the faithful Catholic Queen of Scotland, and the only legitimate heir to the English throne.

You are from the Vatican and allied with France. You are Catholic, and indeed, the head of the Catholic church.

Protestant Inquisition: You may investigate a target of your choosing every night for heresy. [Investigative Power – will only reveal religious faction of target.] 

[HIDDEN SKILL: The Pope is a fallible Naive Cop! All completed religious investigations will return Catholic. This will be revealed upon his death.]

Daraius said:
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I had fun

I would have gotten away with the Tekora lynch if it wasn't for that meddling @Yarith

-shakefist-

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Man, this was a brutal game.

I think Othero's janitor cleanup of himself was a pro move

Way to go there

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Oh, I love it. Othero was not only Louis Condé as I suggested, but also the man-slut as I predicted! Ahahaha.

But hot damn, the mafia was so overpowered. In a game this misdirectional, so much additional firepower makes it impossible for me to care that I lost. I'm more upset that people kind of glazed over some really obvious stuff.

There were only three of them! In a sixteen player game! And you investigated two of them in a row!
    Daraius said:
    Sylandra said:
    There were only three of them! In a sixteen player game! And you investigated two of them in a row!
    And town still lost! Having fewer mafia doesn't mean as much with that reality, and the added potential for a late game turncoat is quite a bit. Synkarin was totally on the rails and they still let him live over someone who nameclaimed when they didn't need to!

You really underestimate the power of millers and pseudo-millers, methinks.

What I really want to see is where all the factional stuff could have come into play, though.

To be fair, the Mafia people didn't get really powerful until I died (or you died, one of the two)

At first, Othero just roleblocker, Allyrianne had one shot unstoppable kill (plus if she was killed/lynched, she'd run back to England and be unable to talk during the day), and I could investigate, that's not crazy though. 

It was after I died where janitor/arsonist kicked in.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Synkarin said:
    To be fair, the Mafia people didn't get really powerful until I died (or you died, one of the two)

At first, Othero just roleblocker, Allyrianne had one shot unstoppable kill (plus if she was killed/lynched, she'd run back to England and be unable to talk during the day), and I could investigate, that's not crazy though. 

It was after I died where janitor/arsonist kicked in.
    Queen Elizabeth is what my main problem is with, yeah. The commuter skill is totally unnecessary and over the top.

I do believe the game would be better if, as I suggested via PM, mafia wasn't as strong but had knowledge of who all in the French Court was present. The main issue seemed to be with coming up fake-claims that could work - if you had all the town names at your disposal from day 1, that'd be a much easier task and would lend the game more to being misdirectional than simply power-gunning. It would also enhance the power of the scum investigation in helping to narrow down who is who.

Otherwise scum can just try to lie low and let town tear each other down, and win 75% of the time or more. Would take a lot of lucky tracker/watcher moves to beat it for the standard play group, imo.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I have to say that while I love Mafia games, there were a few people in this game that played absolutely horridly.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Incidentally Allyrianne never used the Commuter power.
    Daraius said:
    edited February 2016
    Othero and Allyrianne did play very low key for almost the whole game, very true.

Tekora really overplayed the 'bad guy' and I think was a huge distraction from the scum, rather than a revealer of them. I mean, she was gunning for Silvanus and I the whole time when it had to be painfully obvious who we were. I think it would have been a very different game if she'd been lynched sooner.

I'm still kicking myself - I totally believed Synkarin. I even had doubts about Yarith's claim for a bit there. Very very convincing.

I can't believe Silvanus lived as long as he did. Was he attempted? Or was it presumed he was protected?

Sylandra said:
    Incidentally Allyrianne never used the Commuter power.
    I would not be surprised if she didn't. All the more reason to strip it in future games elsewhere!