Reign - The Mafia Game Thread - English Mafia Win!

Comments

• UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Ahahaha, amazing. Lavinya flip is brilliant. Well done, Allyrianne! That last flurry of posts was fantastic.

(Though the arson prep for me counting as success while I was supposed to be out of game is one thing that might have failed!)
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    edited February 2016
    Oh boy the faction thing is going to be a long post though and I've already stayed up really, really late. I have bug people coming tomorrow and homework I've been blowing off.

For now I'll just post the day/night actions! Let me know if I've missed something, it's a lot of info to keep track of!

DAY 1:
    No lynch

NIGHT 1:
    Vivet: Investigate Othero
    Ssaliss: Jail Lavinya
    Shaddus: Protect Silvanus
    Luce: Track Falmiis
    Ssaliss: Investigate Allyrianne
    Yarith: Watch Synkarin
    Allyrianne: Kill Lavinya
    Synkarin: Investigate Celina
    Othero: Roleblock Tekora
    Tekora: Roleblock Yarith

DAY 2:
    Chirbo removes Luce's ability to vote!
    Ushaara governor-protects Tekora!
    Tekora claims Claude Valois, roleblocker!
    Chirbo claims being Protestant!
    Luce claims being Scottish!
    Chirbo is lynched!

NIGHT 2:
    Vivet: Investigate Synkarin
    Silvanus: Jail Kiradawea
    Shaddus: Protect Tekora
    Luce: Track Synkarin
    Kiradawea: Kill Celina
    Ssaliss: Investigate Kiradawea
    Yarith: Watch Lavinya
    Allyrianne: Kill Luce
    Synkarin: Investigate Vivet
    Othero: Block Silvanus
    Tekora: Block Synkarin

DAY 3:
    Vivet claims investigator!
    Synkarin's English background is revealed!
    Othero's Navarran background is revealed!
    Kiradawea claims Clarissa, the enigma!
    Lavinya claims Diane, mason with the King!
    Othero claims Antoine de Bourbon, survivor!
    Synkarin claims Catholic British investigator!
    Synkarin claims that Celina is Catherine de Medici!
    Celina confirms claim!
    Kiradawea is lynched!

NIGHT 3:
    Vivet: Investigate Ushaara
    Silvanus: Jail Shaddus
    Shaddus: Protect Ushaara
    Ssaliss: Investigate Celina
    Yarith: Watch Vivet
    Allyrianne: Protestant's Prayer
    Synkarin: Kill Vivet
    Othero: Block Silvanus
    Tekora: Block Synkarin

[Allyrianne gains Arsonist power!]
    [Silvanus gains 1-time half-vote lynch power!]
    [Ushaara gains 1-time self-jailing power!]

DAY 4:
    Synkarin accuses Tekora of being Robert Dudley!
    Yarith claims Nostradamus, the Watcher!
    Yarith claims Synkarin was seen killing Vivet!
    Synkarin is lynched!

[Allyrianne gains 1-time revenge power!]
    [Othero gains 1-person janitor power!]

NIGHT 4:
    Celina: Kill Shaddus
    Silvanus: Jail Ushaara
    Shaddus: Protect Tekora
    Ssaliss: Investigate Othero
    Yarith: Watch Ushaara
    Allyrianne: Arson Silvanus
    Othero: Kill Yarith (Chooses to janitor self)
    Tekora: Block Silvanus

DAY 5:
    Silvanus mentions strange rose at night!
    Falmiis claims Sebastian de Poitiers, pagan bomb!
    Pope Ssaliss claims religious investigator role!
    Pope Ssaliss decrees Allyrianne, Celina, and Othero are Catholic!
    Allyrianne claims Lady Lola, 1-time NK immunity and ability to send messages to Vivet!
    Falmiis is lynched!
    Othero is bombed, but dies while janitored!

NIGHT 5:
    Ushaara: Self-Jail (Confession)
    Silvanus: Jail Celina
    Ssaliss: Investigate Tekora
    Allyrianne: Arson Ushaara
    Tekora: Block Ssaliss

DAY SIX:
    Ushaara mentions strange rose at night!
    Silvanus uses half-vote lynch power on Tekora!
    Tekora is lynched!

NIGHT SIX:
    Allyrianne: Triggers Siege! [Arson]
    Ssaliss: Investigate Ushaara
    Silvanus: Jails Ssaliss

[Lavinya joins the English mafia!]

English Mafia wins!
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    It's okay, just post the faction stuff tomorrow! Go get sleep, we will be good, patient people.
    Ushaara said:
    Ahahaha, amazing. Lavinya flip is brilliant. Well done, Allyrianne! That last flurry of posts was fantastic.

(Though the arson prep for me counting as success while I was supposed to be out of game is one thing that might have failed!)
    I figured it was targeting the room, not the person, so I decided to let it slide. Another mod might not have, though!
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Night 3 was actually Protect Ushaara for me.

I'm really tempted to go through and quote all of Tekora's posts about how she's always right, how I'm scummy and how I was protecting Yarith at some point.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    I protected Lavinya with my jailing and helped her win in the end!

That's all that matters.

Fin.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    Okay, and since other people are doing it:

Biggest regret for this game - not hammering it into people's heads that there was no good reason for Kiradawea to claim if she was SK. I just kind of mused over this not making sense. I shouldn't have let it go at that. I should have wielded it like a hammer and swung it around until everyone was echoing it.

If Kiradawea was an active SK at the time, it would have gone like this:

Me: "Synkarin is scum. By the way, I plan to investigate either Lavinya, Silvanus, or Kiradawea next."

Kiradawea: "Sounds fine, I am loyal to France and have nothing to hide."

Me: Kk

Instantly would have had much better chances. 

Town being honest about themselves seemed to bite them back more than not - from Chirbo, to Kiradawea, to Falmiis. I'm not sure if emphasising that would have helped me in that position, since I think the real problem was everyone was enamored with Synkarin's superior investigation and just really wanted to believe he was town against reason or any implications of his behaviour (go back and look, he asked what he could do to prove himself to me and then proceeded to not cooperate).

And then, of course, I thought of the possibility of Kiradawea being a member of the mafia, and then things got really interesting for me.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Oh whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat I would have been dead night one if not for Silvanus. That would have sucked so hard. 

(Why me??? ;_;)

Vivet said:
    Sylandra said:
    Incidentally Allyrianne never used the Commuter power.
    I would not be surprised if she didn't. All the more reason to strip it in future games elsewhere!
    It's so funny though because I had a lot of doubts initially about the balance from the other angle - I was convinced that I had made the game too pro-town by making such a small mafia! Particularly when your investigations were so on-point, and when Lavinya was almost killed the first night. I kept thinking, "Should I have just forgone the commuter power for an arsonist power at the start? Would that make more sense?" I was trying Commuter out because the alternative of Godfather--ie, immune to all investigations--seemed too powerful. I wanted to give it a 50/50 shot instead of a 100% "You cannot investigate Elizabeth." But! It seems that the Commuter power wasn't necessary or needed after all, so if I did it all over again, I would definitely have removed it.

That's also actually why I made Ssaliss a naive cop. I worried having two 100% accurate investigators would make the game end too quickly. In that sense, the "misleading" religious town such as Falmiis and Chirbo would be able to point out that the cop was in fact wrong, and put the judgments of the pope into question. I also just thought the idea of a fallible pope as a naive cop was pretty funny. This wasn't activated, but had Ssaliss died while Mary(Vivet) was still alive, she would have gained the ability to choose between investigating religion or nationality at night! One of the many twisty things I need to make a masterpost of when it's not 2am...
    Daraius said:
    Shaddus said:
    Night 3 was actually Protect Ushaara for me.

I'm really tempted to go through and quote all of Tekora's posts about how she's always right, how I'm scummy and how I was protecting Yarith at some point.
    Fixed!
    Daraius said:
    Sylandra said:
    Vivet said:
    Sylandra said:
    Incidentally Allyrianne never used the Commuter power.
    I would not be surprised if she didn't. All the more reason to strip it in future games elsewhere!
    It's so funny though because I had a lot of doubts initially about the balance from the other angle - I was convinced that I had made the game too pro-town by making such a small mafia! Particularly when your investigations were so on-point, and when Lavinya was almost killed the first night. I kept thinking, "Should I have just forgone the commuter power for an arsonist power at the start? Would that make more sense?" I was trying Commuter out because the alternative of Godfather--ie, immune to all investigations--seemed too powerful. I wanted to give it a 50/50 shot instead of a 100% "You cannot investigate Elizabeth." But! It seems that the Commuter power wasn't necessary or needed after all, so if I did it all over again, I would definitely have removed it.

That's also actually why I made Ssaliss a naive cop. I worried having two 100% accurate investigators would make the game end too quickly. In that sense, the "misleading" religious town such as Falmiis and Chirbo would be able to point out that the cop was in fact wrong, and put the judgments of the pope into question. I also just thought the idea of a fallible pope as a naive cop was pretty funny. This wasn't activated, but had Ssaliss died while Mary(Vivet) was still alive, she would have gained the ability to choose between investigating religion or nationality at night! One of the many twisty things I need to make a masterpost of when it's not 2am...
    Millers are a -strong- anti-town role, and I hope this game shows it to you! For every miller/pseudo-miller, you should pretend a town power doesn't exist, really. Once you do that, you'll start to see the shift.

It's okay, though, because if you play mafia here primarily (and not all over), then I guess you don't have much experience with games with multiple millers. They really are game changing.

And again, this only matters if you want the game to feel more balanced. I think the general consensus is people still had fun anyways! Sometimes an imbalanced game is just more exhilarating.

I'm pretty happy with the balance. We came within 1 vote of winning the thing, since Allyrianne was at 3/4 before Silvanus condemned Tekora and Ally sniped. Can't get closer than that!

Lavinya was right, the tension was amazing, and definitely the most exciting mafia game I've played.

The Sebastian bomb the previous day was also hilarious.
    Haha, that's what I get for trying to make an anti-"Follow the Cop" game! I also despise mass claiming. Ahem.
    Daraius said:
    I'll admit we presumed Tekora was probably innocent but the temptation to lynch her was too strong.

And then Allyrianne leapt on it which concreted her in my mind as guilty.

Ushaara said:
    I'm pretty happy with the balance. We came within 1 vote of winning the thing, since Allyrianne was at 3/4 before Silvanus condemned Tekora and Ally sniped. Can't get closer than that!

Lavinya was right, the tension was amazing, and definitely the most exciting mafia game I've played.

The Sebastian bomb the previous day was also hilarious.
    Of all the things I saw, this surprised me the most. I didn't doubt that Falmiis was a bomb, but I was quite sure he was scum and eliminating him sooner rather than later was key. The self-janitor cleaning was just the icing on the cake.

Bombs tend to be town in my experience! Maybe I'm alone??
    Daraius said:
    Sylandra said:
    Bombs tend to be town in my experience! Maybe I'm alone??
    I've seen bomb on the head mafioso pretty often. They will, naturally, never reveal this and allow it to reveal itself. It's why waiting until late in the game to reveal you are a bomb is considered more of a scum move.
    Personally my biggest regret was that @Synkarin didn't roleclaim Mary Tudor.
    Daraius said:
    Haha, I was so sure he was Gideon...
    Sylandra said:
    Personally my biggest regret was that @Synkarin didn't roleclaim Mary Tudor.
    That would have been an interesting twist! I think he just really didn't know what to do and was... I don't know, afraid I had some means of telling if he was lying/fakeclaiming? Anyways, if that's more what you'd have wanted to see, then seriously - provide mafia with the full roster of rolenames at the start and trim back some of the powers to compensate. Will make for much greater potential for lying/fabrication.
    I also went through the thought process of "Hmm, a British signet ring,' Britain is not just England, so might be Sylandra being sneaky and it means someone with a claim to England + Scotland, therefore Synkarin is Mary..."

No that was just me being an American derp, hahaha. I caught it later but it was too late. C'est la vie!
    Daraius said:
    Silvanus said:
    I protected Lavinya with my jailing and helped her win in the end!

That's all that matters.

Fin.
    Oh just saw this. Forever my favourite! <3

edited February 2016
    Oh man I can finally post this. I sent it to @Ssaliss during day 6's shenanigans when @Tekora was hounding Ssaliss about his role.

Every time I type 'Pope Ssaliss' it fills with me so much glee, you guys.
    Daraius said:
  • Wow, ninja lynched while I was sleeping. AND NOW YOU ALL SEE THAT I WAS ALWAYS RIGHT.

Oh well. I still had fun playing the bad guy, as I usually do. And equally satisfying to see Silvanus cut off his nose to spite his face!

That said, it IS a game and I don't hold any ill will towards anyone, despite the vitriol I play with. In fact, I'm giving Synkarin top marks this game for the way he played most of the Town for the naive fools they were.

In the end, people need to realize that Mafia is a game about backstabbing, lying and trusting NO ONE but yourself. It's boring when everyone plays nice with each other.
    The always right thing would hold more water if, you know, you hadn't gunned Silvanus, me and Ssaliss as scum. Oh and Shaddus. Remember how even at the end you were telling us we were idiots for being so blind to how evil Ssaliss is? Come on now.

• Trying to discredit me now doesn't change the fact that lynching Ssaliss, night-blocking Allyrianne and then lynching Ally would have been a perfectly safe Town win.
    If I hadn't flipped scum, town would have lynched Allyrianne and won too! It was the spanner in the works no one saw coming. I'm not trying to discredit, just trying to keep you in reality. ;)

• The reality is, not once did I lie during this game. Your distrust of me was based solely on my playstyle. Looking forward to future games, you (and most of the other players in this game) would do well to realize that it never ends well when you vote with your instinct over cold, hard facts.