Character Retirement

edited January 2016 in Common Grounds
This is a thread for questions and such regarding the new character retirement system (see announce post 2532), so as to keep other threads from getting mucked up with the subject.

A few points of note, just for reiteration's sake:

- SELLING OR SHARING CHARACTERS USING THIS SYSTEM IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN AND WILL RESULT IN PERMANENT CHARACTER LOSSES.
- Retirement credits may only be transferred to NEW characters (< 14 RL days old).
- Retirement credits are linked to your registration email address, and can only be transferred to new characters registered to the same email.
- The retirement process takes at least 24 hours, and requires administrative approval after you've clicked the second confirmation link. It is not instant. Do not ask for it to be instant. Do not complain about the delays. Cuttlefish will find you.
- Retirement is PERMANENT - once an administrator has finalized your retirement request, that character will NEVER EVER EVER be un-retired. Make sure this is a thing you want to do, because once done it can never be undone.
- Seriously, do not sell or share characters with this system.
7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.

Comments

• People be like "BUT WE HAVE ALL THESE CHARACTERS WE WILL NEVER PLAY AGAIN PLZ LET US RETIRE THEM FOR OUR CURRENT CHARS"

PLZ
    THIS DIDN'T EXIST WHEN WE WERE MAKING THEM
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited January 2016
    This...is awesome.

edit: Nevermind, I just read your helpfile. Yay literacy.
  • Can someone post the news post here for those of us who can't log in at the moment?
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    What about characters that are 14 YEARS old?
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • Interesting.

I will never retire Nienla because I adore her in a nostalgic sort of way, but this is a great option for people wanting a fresh start without having to start all over again.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    You can check a character's value by logging onto them and doing RETIRE VALUE. 
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I just read that on the help file. Ignore me.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Ooh. I love this idea even though I won't be using it.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Will other players be able to tell if a character has been retired, on HONORS or some such?
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Will this make the retired characters no longer count for families, so that later characters may be adopted into said families?

What talan said.

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Well this is awkward, rage spinners and former quitters.
  • edited January 2016
    Also, will retired characters be automatically stripped of any org/cartel positions and aideships? What happens to transferable/shareable assets, like ships/manses/clans owned by a retired character? Are they deleted?

Also what's the policy on giving your transferable stuff (as above + curios) away before retiring? Are you allowed to transfer assets to an alt? What about to a friend? Or is the intention that those things should go down with the ship?
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    My retirement value, like my escrow value, kind of makes me sad.  I kind of wish they did not provide these numbers for us to review. :(
    Talan said:
    Also, will retired characters be automatically stripped of any org/cartel positions and aideships? What happens to transferable/shareable assets, like ships/manses/clans owned by a retired character? Are they deleted?

That's why you give stuff away before you retire.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Talan said:
    Will other players be able to tell if a character has been retired, on HONORS or some such?
    I've asked IRE if this is a thing we should show, waiting to hear back. My preference is to not show it, but if IRE wants it done across games that's what will happen.

---

In general, retirement is handled basically as the character never logging in again, but there's nothing special done with positions and such. Communal sorts of things (e.g. ship artifacts)  stick around post-retirement and don't count towards your retirement value.

---

Policy regarding family things will be up to the policy admins.
  • Xenthos said:
    My retirement value, like my escrow value, kind of makes me sad.  I kind of wish they did not provide these numbers for us to review. :(
    No one forced you to look!
  • Ieptix said:
    Xenthos said:
    No one forced you to look!

No one will fault you if you keep forcing Xenthos to do the RETIRE VALUE command over and over to progressively drive him mad.

Kudos if you do so. Dibs on his nest spot.
  • Who says I haven't already started?
    Sylandra said:
    Ooh. I love this idea even though I won't be using it.

don't lie, you know you want to retire Sylandra and come be a Minstrel.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Ieptix said:
    Who says I haven't already started?
    11410h, 6865m, 7370e, 10p, 26660en, 26660w mBelrx<>-
    value
    11410h, 6865m, 7370e, 10p, 26660en, 26660w mBelrx<>-

Fail!
  • Can theses commands be made available for shrubbed characters too? 
  • No.
    Every time I retire a character, the link takes me to a page that tells me to login to that character I'm trying to retire. Any reason for this?
    Will character retirement values take collared beasts and purchased manse dwellers/custom pets into account?,
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Instead of a set time for retired, can it be an amount of play time, like a week's worth? There are characters I would love to invest in that are still newbies/low level/have potential/don't have a negative name associated with them, but though I haven't played them much they've been around for more than 14 IRL days. 
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Also, can it just start counting from 14 days from now plz? I wanted to do this with one of my old alts more or less since day 1 of Luce, and the fact that I can't makes me a sad abomination unto Nuggin.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    ^ That sounds pretty reasonable.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    That's exactly why it's not going to happen, tbh.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Would be nice if it did... Doubt it will, but it'd be great if it did. Maybe put a limit on how many you can retire in that fashion. -shrug-
  • It would be nice if RETIRE VALUE could show the breakdown of how the number is derived, so that we know what is being included, and what is not being included, in the value of the retirement.