Character Retirement

Comments

• And then all the Shaddus alts retired and the game consisted only of Shaddus, Arix and Munsia
  • Arix said:
    And then all the Shaddus alts retired and the game consisted only of Shaddus, Arix and Munsia
    But to use these credits he'll have to make new alts. It's a never ending cycle.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Wow. So, there are various points in my playing time where I would have seriously considered something like this. I've definitely daydreamed about having a sort of "character reset", but figured nothing like it would ever get implemented. This is probably as close as we'll get.

That said, I want to echo Talan's sentiment regarding transfer-ables like aetherships, and especially curios. The rules with what can or can't be done with them, or if they should remain as bound up with the character who currently possesses them as is possible, should be important information to include.

• The same rules that currently apply to possessions apply to retiring a character as well. You can give away your aethership if you want, as long as it isn't to your new character/any other alts you have (or to someone who happens to pass it on to your new character). Retiring doesn't change the rules in HELP SECONDS.

• Well, I'll be retiring Caedryn presently; I'm obviously quite a fan of the new feature :)
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Luce said:
    Also, can it just start counting from 14 days from now plz? I wanted to do this with one of my old alts more or less since day 1 of Luce, and the fact that I can't makes me a sad abomination unto Nuggin.
    The intent is for people to be able to start new characters, not absorb all their old characters for extra credits for one super character.

Which is why, I suspect, it's only for new characters.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    The problem is, 14 days is not enough for me to know if I want to stick with a new char or not.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Pretty sure you're supposed to spend time on an alt to figure out if you like it or not. If you do, roll up a new character and put everything on it. It is not supposed to be a merge-all tool; you should only do it if you are absolutely sure that you want to. That 14-day window is SUPPOSED to make you hesitate and think about whether you really want to commit to this path.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    So my value went...down...just a bit from where it was earlier.

This character's value is not sufficient to be eligible for retiring.

Why :I
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
    edited January 2016
    My RETIRE VALUE dropped form 4200 to 2800 after the most recent promotional adjustment. I spent good money on the present promotion, for example. Did we lose credit for those purchases because they weren't actual credits? That kind of blows. 

My artifacts alone are upwards of 5k in escrow, not including my beast. 

SOMETHING SEEMS ASKEW. Nice idea for those who have fortunes invested in their characters. It's seemingly subpar for those of us that have done a hybrid of in game winnings and out of game purchases. Pity to see my 1000+ credit medallion go up in smoke. 

edit: I understand this comes from on high from IRE, but just some feedback. I'd like to see actual character value taken into account somewhere. 2800 for Celina basically killed the idea for me. I was looking at it at the 4200, I could at least be comfortable at that level and pad it with some more credit purchased. 2800 is peanuts for a PKer.

:-w :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited January 2016
    I imagine the goal of this might be to attract back players that essentially abandoned their characters years ago, rather than to get currently active players to roll their currently active characters into fresh new alts. The first group wrote off their purchases as a total loss a long time ago when they decided to stop playing, so learning that they might be able to get some of that back, or even consolidate some of that value from across different IRE games, might be enough to bring them back.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    It's made me tempted to retire a few characters and give Achaea a shot since I've never played it.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I think my retireds have lost some value, but not a whole lot.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    edited January 2016
    Daraius said:
    I imagine the goal of this might be to attract back players that essentially abandoned their characters years ago, rather than to get currently active players to roll their currently active characters into fresh new alts. The first group wrote off their purchases as a total loss a long time ago when they decided to stop playing, so learning that they might be able to get some of that back, or even consolidate some of that value from across different IRE games, might be enough to bring them back.
    Probably. The other side of the coin is ongoing investment incentives. As is, I buy luxury items for Celina on occasion for funsies but, even though my income is up, my actual monthly investment is lower than it used to be. I have the things I want on Celina aside from some of the super pricey items like the Doctoral Tam, and have no incentive to pump in money at this point. Nothing available is really going to substantially change the level I play at anymore. 

If I could flip Celina to Achaea, for example, I'd have incentive to keep investing. Just not for 2800 credits :|
  • Well, looks like I need to log in and drop some messages in a hurry. Forum posting still work for retired folks?
    Probably not. I think it will end up doing something like scrambling your password, so you won't be able to log in here either.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Why would they need to scramble the password? It should be as simple as disabling the login, period (regardless of what password is entered). Disabling profiles is a pretty common thing.
    Xenthos said:
    Why would they need to scramble the password? It should be as simple as disabling the login, period (regardless of what password is entered). Disabling profiles is a pretty common thing.
    That would be preferable, but I don't know how they're handling it. Likely, nobody does yet.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Thuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul!

Hi.
    My kingdom for a RETIRE ACCOUNT. I could get 25 credits per midbie, considering they're all perm except for 2-3.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    I'm just saying that if they allow super characters one day, Shu will really level up if they let me consolidate to him.
    This is irritating me so far. Yesterday, I retired about 4 characters. Today, I go in to confirm and it tells me to click my email link, the one I clicked -yesterday-. Now I have to wait another 24 hours to confirm because the instructions don't match what is required and don't explain that you have to be logged into the character when you click the link in the email. Not only that, but one of the characters that I retired yesterday is suddenly no longer able to be retired because of the rebalancing of value.
    Shuyin said:
    I'm just saying that if they allow super characters one day, Shu will really level up if they let me consolidate to him.
    Voltron can be our next TA.
    Can we get some clarification about where our value comes from? Achaea has a post regarding the RETIRE VALUE update where it was taking into account odds and ends like facebook rewards and what not, but I'm trying to understand the 1500 credit drop in my value when I didn't really do anything in that regard.

So I'm just curious. Does this include promotions that didn't directly translate to credits? Like the crate promotions or the last stocking promotion? I guess I'm asking if it's a direct assessment of your character's value or half of your paid investment as a credit value. 

• edited January 2016
    If crates and promo buys don't factor in, I should have next to nothing. But I don't think my value went down.
    If you retire this character, you will receive 3623 transfer credits for use on a new character.
    Am I bugged because I'm old or something. Is the game calling me old and worthless?
  • Dude a dirty noncom like me is apparently worth more than Celina who has all the artifacts :o
    I think they removed stuff like credits/lessons from levelling, promos like login bonuses and mothersrock, and stuff like that.
    Oh, I just remembered to ask something.

@Ieptix Would it be possible to have a retirement marker as a -option-, and not just "everyone is designated or no one is designated"? Because I can understand why certain people might not want others to know their character is retired, but I feel like if I did this I'd always want the option. Something like:

Chade (Vernal Changeling Demigod) [RETIRED]

So it always shows regardless of honours. I mean, I guess for the people who really want it, they can get the laurels scroll and just note it in a fashion like Chade has, but then people can't see the honours and it's basically making you buy a feature I feel like you shouldn't have to.