Bonds in Combat

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Maligorn said:
    Xenthos said:
    Maligorn said:
    Mainly because you were doing the same to me, buddy.
    My thing is; if you flag me, I'm going to flag you back.  That's just how it goes.  Pretty much everyone here knows it by now (except you, I guess?).  Otherwise, I don't touch the things.  I find them to be a bit silly.

Obviously it's getting to you, though.  Oh well!
    Obviously it gets to you, if you flag me back automatically. :P

I'm not going to play this childish game with you, Xenthos. It's not worth my time.
    Nah, it's standard policy.  I apply it impartially.

PS: You are still playing the game.  I watched you flag another post right there.  So hypocritical.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    That's...just not true. The dishonesty and vitriol of the South is real, so I'm just going to bow out. You can save your ad hominem for someone who can (and already has, back in the thread) legitimately argued this out.

Bonds's risk to reward ratio is bad and you should feel bad for trying to keep it as is.

Rushing a bonds kill room (even with prismatic, which I acknowledge is a standard group splitting ability) is basically suicidal and nil with things like summon resistance and icewalls.

Tackle and scissorflip are not adequate counters to Bonds.

Distort needs a nerf, but bonds doesn't? Talk about hypocrisy.

Again, the distort vs. bonds difference was discussed earlier, and you're just ignoring it because it doesn't suit you.  They're not the same thing, as you yourself noted when you were talking about Enyalida's statement, but that doesn't matter, does it?  It definitely is better to leave it to people who actually do want to discuss it, instead of just attacking with no basis in reality.

And no, I do not feel bad.  I quite enjoyed this little chat.  Thank you.  :)
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    If by "discussed" you mean Celina and Sidd saying "bonds is not distort", then sure, it was discussed. Do better.

Maligorn said:
    If by "discussed" you mean Celina and Sidd saying "bonds is not distort", then sure, it was discussed. Do better.
    Oh, you're back already!  That sure was a quick bowing-out.  How exciting!
  • edited April 2016
    Bonds and distort are factually not the same. Their application is entirely different. Distort's primarily purpose is to prevent enemies from using easy escapes like ascend and cubix while raiding. While bonds might also do this in a single room, its primary application is preventing group splitting skills like empress and rad. You don't use bonds to prevent a cubix escape unless you already have a kill room set up, and even then, kill room lockdowns very rarely allow for escape via cubix

The only way to escape distort is to leave the area. The only way to escape bonds is the leave the room. This key difference is why they are used for entirely different purposes. They overlap only in theory, not in actual application. This is what I mean when you do not have sufficient PK experience and knowledge. 

I've already explained this with specific points and reasoning. You, again, chose not to address those points. 

• Just to chime in on the ridiculousness of the claim that the South is the source of the game's vitriol: I play many characters here and there, from a wee Tracker ur'Guard to a Glamours Symphonist. It's only ever in the North do I experience being ridiculed and talked down to for 'failing at combat' and that I'm nothing more than dead weight pulling the team down.
    See you in Sapience.
  • In my time here I have never seen anyone being  talked down to because they failed in a fight.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Can we please stop this home team sports rivalry nonsense with North vs. South, already? 
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    edited April 2016
    Celina has accurately summed up the primary difference between bonds and distort, they're not the same thing in application. I don't understand how you can literally claim that they're not backing up their points when they repeatedly have. 

Granted, the civility is probably long past, but they legitimately have given their arguments.

P.S. Don't close the thread, we need more angst to concentrate into. Also, we need more combatey threads anyway.
  • edited April 2016
    edit: NVM. Didn't read correctly.
  • Falmiis said:
    In my time here I have never seen anyone being  talked down to because they failed in a fight.
    Seriously? That's what you got out of Maligorn's tirade and the subsequent responses? That he's being talked down to because he lost a fight?

I can't even.
    You missed a post.

• Falmiis said:
    In my time here I have never seen anyone being  talked down to because they failed in a fight.
    Seriously? That's what you got out of Maligorn's tirade and the subsequent responses? That he's being talked down to because he lost a fight?

I can't even.

Twytch said:
    Just to chime in on the ridiculousness of the claim that the South is the source of the game's vitriol: I play many characters here and there, from a wee Tracker ur'Guard to a Glamours Symphonist. It's only ever in the North do I experience being ridiculed and talked down to for 'failing at combat' and that I'm nothing more than dead weight pulling the team down.
    ^^^^
  • Whoops. I did. My bad.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Twytch said:
    Just to chime in on the ridiculousness of the claim that the South is the source of the game's vitriol: I play many characters here and there, from a wee Tracker ur'Guard to a Glamours Symphonist. It's only ever in the North do I experience being ridiculed and talked down to for 'failing at combat' and that I'm nothing more than dead weight pulling the team down.

This. At no point while playing a "Southern" character have I ever been treated badly for failing at combat. It's a lot more common in the north.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I have never seen anyone talked down to on the North side for "failing" I have seen the apparently standard "you need to get better" which nobody can disagree with, the North does need to get better.

I am not sure this thread has done anything productive though, the last few pages seem to be nothing but thinly, and sometimes not so thinly, veiled personal attacks.

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Shaddus said:
    Twytch said:

This. At no point while playing a "Southern" character have I ever been treated badly for failing at combat. It's a lot more common in the north.
    I've never gotten it or seen it in either place. I think it has nothing to do with what "side" you're on and entirely about the person that felt the need to act that way. It is absurd to say that an asshole is an asshole because they're playing on a certain side of the line, and doing so is just deepening this ridiculous "everyone on this side sucks, but we rule" sentiment that both sides seem to want to latch onto extra hard lately. Everyone needs to chill out on this.
    I'm not saying anyone is an asshole. I'm saying that people in the current northern alliance are a little too emotionally involved with their "side", and need to step back a bit and disentangle themselves.

I'm also straight out saying that the northern alliance players have a horrible habit of pointing fingers when they fail at a raid/domoth steal/ whatever. In the south, they have the same sort of people, but they're leafy right now.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • It is pretty ridiculous to say that any behaviour is only restricted to one side.

This is the "only north turtles" argument all over again.
    Falmiis said:
    It is pretty ridiculous to say that any behaviour is only restricted to one side.

This is the "only north turtles" argument all over again.

I think your reading comprehension is lacking. Both sides have been known to do it, but the people in the south who are known for it are shrubbed right now, AKA Munsia and Marcella. Shuyin and crew tend to try and teach younger people how they could have done better, as opposed to how people in Anonymous, if they lose a village or domoth, grumble and point fingers.
  • The argument was never "only the north turtles."
    Seriously though. Glomdoring has a skill that literally removes everyone in the coven from everyone's enemy list. Even people who are offline, I'm pretty sure. Without warning or prevention. Yet, people are concerned about a skill that locks a room down and keeps people inside from being summoned out.
    You leave Gloomtide out of it, y'hear?  Hmph!
  • I made this druid character to see how Wildewood works (it's actually very fun, barring the costliness and the obvious problems in the skills), and during a raid on Ethereal Serenwilde all I did was use vines on every balance, as I was told when I asked what to do -- after we (unsurprisngly) got beaten back, there was some shade thrown around how the hinderers weren't hindering enough. 

As has been said, both sides probably have toxic players, but I've only experienced it in the north so far.
    See you in Sapience.
  • edited April 2016
    Shaddus said:
    Seriously though. Glomdoring has a skill that literally removes everyone in the coven from everyone's enemy list. Even people who are offline, I'm pretty sure. Without warning or prevention. Yet, people are concerned about a skill that locks a room down and keeps people inside from being summoned out.
    Gloomtide can be coded around pretty easily. And people are generally quick to point out when it's been done on the alliance clan.

Twytch said:
    I made this druid character to see how Wildewood works (it's actually very fun, barring the costliness and the obvious problems in the skills), and during a raid on Ethereal Serenwilde all I did was use vines on every balance, as I was told when I asked what to do -- after we (unsurprisngly) got beaten back, there was some shade thrown around how the hinderers weren't hindering enough. 

As has been said, both sides probably have toxic players, but I've only experienced it in the north so far.
    Ultimately anecdotes are anecdotes. I'm sorry you've had negative experiences with the alliance. I won't claim we're peachy about everything, there is negativity at times, especially during the ascension trials there was quite a bit. Though, if you're getting negativity from Hallifaxians specifically, you can let me know who it is and I can talk to 'em.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    rofl when I fought against glomdoring, I had an alias that enemied all people from a list. I just mashed this every few seconds during downtime.

Counterplays dude