the Expedition - a Pokémon Mafia game. (GAME OVER. SYLANDRA WINS. TOWN WINS.)

Comments

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Oh, that is a good point. Won't know until tomorrow. That delay just throws me off.
  • You won't complete it. I need three types. I just don't know who the hell has a dragon type. 
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    You won't complete it. I need three types. I just don't know who the hell has a dragon type. 
    Melali has a Deino. It should be dark/dragon in all of its forms.
  • I don't think I ever pushed very hard about there not being a cult. What I said was that we should work under the assumption that there isn't one. If there is one, it'll be obvious once we kill the recruiter (at least I presume it will be), and we know that there is at least one scum remaining that we haven't killed yet (that being the Chosen). Is it possible that there is a cult? Well, everything is possible. Should we try to target those that may or may not have been converted? No, we should try to target those who have been scum from the start. The Chosen (and, if there is a cult, the recruiter) would be among those. Once we cut the head off the snake, as it were, then we can start worrying about its tail. Hopefully it will just die off.
  • If you're looking for Normal/Flying, pick somewhere else. My Noctowl* is not actually a Noctowl. Names and moves have been changed to protect the innocent.
  • Oh god damn it, I didn't realize that emo thing was a dragon. I admit I haven't paid much attention to the game, pokedexing every night has been a super boring role. 
  • Thul said:
    If you're looking for Normal/Flying, pick somewhere else. My Noctowl* is not actually a Noctowl. Names and moves have been changed to protect the innocent.
    I still don't get why you're hiding what your pokemon is.

I really can't give any more defense of myself and my role than I have. I have not been recruited by a cult, if I have then I have never received a message about it and it would be a surprise to me!

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• Dylara said:
    Thul said:
    If you're looking for Normal/Flying, pick somewhere else. My Noctowl* is not actually a Noctowl. Names and moves have been changed to protect the innocent.
    I still don't get why you're hiding what your pokemon is.

I really can't give any more defense of myself and my role than I have. I have not been recruited by a cult, if I have then I have never received a message about it and it would be a surprise to me!
    Hedging against the possibility of a Ditto or some other stupid crap. Also don't want people targeting my mon directly.
  • ... You realize people could just say 'Target Thul's Pokemon', right? We've never had to know specifics
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    But you didn't mention how my defense of him reverse confirmed my whole claim. How could I have possibly known he was probably telling the truth without some context? You mentioned Rolsand by name, you did not even attempt to consider or explain the full extent of Rolsand's situation. Which is what I said you failed to consider. You went rogue the moment you tried to night kill me based on no information. Your whole premise now is to stall by killing low value probable townies, with a side of conjecture about "scumda." Hard pass on that, that line of reasoning is a dumpster fire. What do we gain by killing me and confirming my claim? Literally nothing, you've stalled a day. I may not even leave the game should I win because, unlike Sylandra, I'm not third party.

Possible explanations for Rolsand:

1. Educated guess. I assumed he was telling the truth at the time. We knew going into this that Rolsand probably had a special role. A Rolesand, I think it was called. I did not vigilante kill him because I thought he was lying, I vigilante killed him partly because he was too dangerous to live due to his pokemon and partly to reduce spam.

2. The extremely unlikely case that you actually are scum/3rd party hybrid, and you extrapolated that there was a town version. I don't think this is likely, but laying out all options that I considered.

3. You're telling the truth. Have to consider it. It's very possible.

I'm going to be honest, I think that supporting Rolsand under the circumstances is actually a little suspicious in itself. He admitted that he could mass block people, and the consensus seemed to be that there was a non-zero chance of it killing people. His style of posting was somewhat disruptive. I wouldn't think someone was scum for supporting him, but I'm not taking it as confirmation of townhood at all. He's a wash at best. Scum could make a reasonable case for wanting him alive as a wild card that disrupts things. I might be willing to take it as point in your favor after I think it over a little more, but I don't think it's grounds to take you as confirmed.

All that I can confirm with you is that you can go to a person at night, politely ask to to scan their pokemon, and then do so. That might be your power as claimed. It might be some other power. You might have other powers, you might not. Everyone needs to decide for themselves if they think that your scanning is in addition to another power or not, and then they need to decide if they think you were recruited or not.

I think the accusation of stalling is pretty weak. From the information available to me, I think there is a reasonable chance that you are scum. Not certain, but you can't be certain about anyone other than yourself most of the time. Everything is estimated probability. We have to play the odds. Most of that is picking the person that we think has the best chance of being scum and lynching, but part of it is considering what we lose if we're wrong. Losing a power role is worse than losing a vanilla townie, which is worse than losing a third party. I think that Tremula was pretty clear that people who meet a win condition leave the game immediately. @Tremula could clarify that, if she can do so in a way that doesn't confirm or deny anyone's powers or alignment. So I think it's pretty clear that we lose less from a mislynch that kills you than any other mislynch, simply because we're likely to lose you anyway. Even if you do stay in the game after meeting your win condition, you may very well end up in a situation where going against the town is good for you. Protecting scum to make sure you can scan their pokemon, for example.

Trying to kill someone that you think is probably scum is not stalling. It's the town's goal. A vigilante who tries to kill people who won't be a huge loss if he's wrong is not going rogue.

VOTE CYNDARIN

I'm open to changing the vote if someone offers a better reason for me to think she's innocent, or if you need me to hammer some other likely suspect. But assuming nobody comes up with a particularly compelling investigation or whatnot, I think Cyndarin is the best lynch. In particular, I'm mostly OK with the @Ssaliss of suspects, although obviously I think Cyndarin is more of a priority than he does.

Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Nobody seems to have worked that out yet, and I wasn't going to tell them.
  • Of course we have. And until you admitted to lying about who your pokemon were, I wasn't going to do anything, but under the parole of "Lynch all liars", well...

Solrock! Attack Thul's pokemon!
  • I admitted as much yesterday.

Also, screw you too. Vote: Ssaliss
  • So what you're essentially saying is that you think I'm scum because I think you're acting weird?
  • I'm saying that I KNOW you're scum because you're resorting to hilarious desperation maneuvers because you know you can't get rid of me or my mon at night. You're probably trying to distract from a real target at this point, I realize. But getting to cave your head in with your own Solrock in the day end would make up for it. Hands off my precious.

p.s. You need an actual attack for that trick to work, I'm pretty sure. 
  • I'm with Ssaliss'; you're being inconsistent and it seems like you're backtracking on events. Plus, if Ellowyn ending up scum taught me anything last game it's that those accusing others of aggression are trying to hide things.
  • Portius is proving to be a wildcard vigilante at this point. His case is incredibly flimsy, as in only vaguely explaining how anything I've done leads to the conclusion he's drawn. I defended Rolsand, who proved to be town, I was attacked by Ushaara who was mafia, somehow Portius has arrived at the conclusion that it's that makes me probably mafia.  Probably scum. As in you have multiple independent scenarios that indicate I'm probably not save a random recruitment, and with literally only conjecture you arrive at the conclusion that the evidence I'm more likely scum than not. It's incredibly irrational. 

If I thought there was a remote chance people would agree with me, I'd say we need to eliminate dangerous powers on the same premise that Portius supposedly (I call bullshit, as he said he believed Rolsand AND thought defending Rolsand was suspicious. Literally impossible to reconcile those two positions, it's a glaring contradiction) eliminated Rolsand, simply too dangerous to exist. A vig that can't be controlled should be removed, and we have plenty of mafia games that show this.

That being said, I think he has too much goodwill built up to actually ever succeed in that. You are, by definition, going rogue and killing people based on non information (or attempting to). You cannot explain that away, you were simply forgiven for Rolsand because Rolsand was being weird. You are now targeting me for far less. 
  • Thul said:

p.s. You need an actual attack for that trick to work, I'm pretty sure. 
    You can attack separately from abilities, according to the boss 
  • No, the power is the attack. Tremula clarified when I thought the same thing some days back
  • Oh, really? Nm then
  • Yeah. Since Solrock apparently doesn't have a damaging move, I can't use it that way. Just got it confirmed by Tremula.
  • I think! I tried to just attack with Cyndaquil one night and was told that would be ember.
    I also got a Tremula confirmation on a thing: Amnesia prevents me from knowing if my pokemon action went through.

If you have a doll, please speak up. I know who had it at the start of the night, and I know who I tried to give it to. So I'd like to see who has it.
  • Um. I have a doll. I've had it since Rolsand died though.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    edited August 2016
    The current vote count stands at

Vote Count:

Vivet - 3 (Phoebus, Krackenor, Othero)
    Cyndarin - 1 (Portius)
    Ssaliss - 1 (Thul)

(It's 7 to lynch!)

Solrock's agitated cries (really, it just sounds like someone running their finger over their lips repeatedly) can be heard as he glares angrily at Thul, but he does nothing but glow brighter to reflect the absolute majesty of Thul's musculature. As a deckhand moves to put a tarp over the trading machine and Sylandra begins walking around to pass out umbrellas, Alec bites back a laugh before saying, "I don't think Sunny Day is a very good attack move. But if you wanted to clear up this rain..."

He glances up at the same time the rest of you do, and sure enough there are agitated, thick, and heavy thunderclouds slowly spreading across the sky, nearly ready to engulf the sun in their haste to spread dominance and drench the living daylights out of the ocean below.

"But to answer a question, unless someone had gills, I don't think there's a way they could reasonably get off the ship, even if they did fulfill some goal." He looks at Sylandra for confirmation, but she just shrugs and moves to stand near him, opening a larger than average umbrella that covers the both of them.

"I've seen weirder. We were attacked by a crazy moon avatar the other day." 

"Fair point. Oh, I forgot to mention." He takes out a black Pokeball and holds it up for all to see. "I think Zoroark's calmed down enough to be traded away and not try to kill us all. So I'll let you trade for her now, if you like."
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
    Um. I have a doll. I've had it since Rolsand died though.

Oh, right. I forgot that the Rolsand doll was still bouncing around. Clarification: If you have a Portius doll, please speak up.

That....might be mod confirmation that you wouldn't leave when you complete your pokedex? Maybe? The statement that they couldn't leave immediately followed by one that leaves the possibility open is not exactly clear. If so, it increases the value of keeping you alive by a lot, since you can still contribute to a town majority for the rest of the game if you're innocent.

@Tremula should probably answer the question without linking it to fluff. Mechanics trump RP and all that.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Yes, mechanics over RP. On the train portion of the game, yes, but once you entered the ship, you became entrenched. If a mechanic as has been described were completed, they would win the game without leaving, meaning that even if they were killed after they would still have won, they are just still able to offer their input and argue. However, I am unsure as to whether or not I would allow that person to vote. I will likely have an answer for you on that by this evening, under the hypothetical situation explained so far.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • To be fair, Sylandra is also still on the boat, and she doesn't count. So I wouldn't call it mod-confirmation of anything, really. If Cyndarin were to win, she could easily just become an NPC.
  • @Tremula I would like to trade Toxicroak for Zoroak.
  • Erh. Zoroark wasn't on the list of tradable pokemon...