Aethersuits!

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited August 2016
    I haven't figured out any reason to use slots at all on my armour, mine still has none. So my suggestion above about switching one slot from paid to free won't affect me at all (I don't use the things). I just think that, for 250db, it should be equivalent to armour from the start.
  • Don't they come with 2 slots to begin with, which makes them strictly better than normal armour which only comes with 1?

Would love for there to be a cheaper option to use these while keeping the runes I have on my armour. I really can't see myself paying over a thousand dingbats for this stuff if I need to pay over a thousand credits to get pliers to even be able to use all of my artifacts.
  • Also, these things are begging for customization. Please oh please alter some of the base types to give us more variety, or add more designs. Particularly, I'd recommend 'armour', 'garments' and 'outfit' for maximum versatility. But if those are too broad, perhaps 'platemail', 'robes', or some of the base items times we're already familiar with?

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Falmiis said:

Don't they come with 2 slots to begin with, which makes them strictly better than normal armour which only comes with 1?

Would love for there to be a cheaper option to use these while keeping the runes I have on my armour. I really can't see myself paying over a thousand dingbats for this stuff if I need to pay over a thousand credits to get pliers to even be able to use all of my artifacts.

Strictly... very slightly better. Like, 100% not worth any dingbats better. If you don't want the aethercraft powers, I wouldn't buy these. You might want the turret or empath powers, but I wouldn't give any of the others the time of day, personally.
    Xenthos said:

I haven't figured out any reason to use slots at all on my armour, mine still has none. So my suggestion above about switching one slot from paid to free won't affect me at all (I don't use the things). I just think that, for 250db, it should be equivalent to armour from the start.

I'd just get celerity on my slot and call it a day. In fact, I'm probably going to do that: Switch to armor with a fire knot or celerity enchant and hang up my splendours forevermore. Might trade in Tailoring, or keep it to make special faction clothes or somethhing.
  • Have been using plate with celerity since I learned of it.
    0 regret.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I have so many celerity things already that one more doesn't really make a difference. Artifacts, beastmastery power, etc. etc. If I ever put a slot on it it will probably be that, but I haven't gotten a hasty message in ages except for occasionally in Icewynd during an absolutely freezing hurricane. And even then it's pretty rare.
  • So I'm wearing a robe with great runes. I'm also wearing an aethersuit. Do they stack in any way? Does one fully override the other? Do I get the best of both?

That's kind of how I feel.
    Eldanien said:

So I'm wearing a robe with great runes. I'm also wearing an aethersuit. Do they stack in any way? Does one fully override the other? Do I get the best of both?

You can only wear one at a time, they occupy the same body slot.
  • But. I'm wearing both. At the same time.

• Enyalida said:

That's kind of how I feel.

Eldanien said:

So I'm wearing a robe with great runes. I'm also wearing an aethersuit. Do they stack in any way? Does one fully override the other? Do I get the best of both?

You can only wear one at a time, they occupy the same body slot.
    Artifacts ignore clothing slots. Now, if the defenses stack is another thing.
    Xenthos said:

Estarra said:

Let me know what you think of the suits!

I was interested, went to look at them, saw nothing that was appealing and left. [...] The closest one I can see wearing based on the description is the mechanical exoskeleton, and it falls apart at "mechanical exoskeleton". :(
    I want to echo this sentiment about them being aesthetically non-pleasing. One problem is that they're just not appropriate objects for all but a few Lusternian archetypes. In other words, if they were real objects, the objects themselves are out of whack. The second problem is that they aren't very well described, with lots of typos, grammatical errors, and clunky syntax/phraseology. In other words, again if they were real objects, they could be really beautiful pieces but they've been poorly conveyed. These would have benefited tremendously from a rigorous editor. I wouldn't really want to wear them even if they were mechanically worth the cost, because there are more elegantly written designs available. I grabbed a paste of all of them, but I'm going to hold off posting it while the typos clear.
  • Which makes sense, given I'm also wearing five kinds of footwear. But if they stack, that's potentially 11 slots. Slots might not be very potent, but a lot of not-very-potent begins to add up.

When I can flex again, I'll have to go back to Tahtetso and find out how they interact with kata tattoos, tattoomaster and tattoo armour.

The slot effects don't stack on each other either, so it's at most 3% damage reduction to 5 different types, assuming you buy all of the slot upgrades and fill them with resistance knots.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I'd like to echo some reservations made earlier in the thread about this seeming to bring back the 'pay to win' PK gap that the overhaul was supposed to do away heavily diminish.

There are almost 0 ways in-game to get dingbats, and if they don't happen once a year, they still require a heavy investment of credits and gold to get a chance at obtaining in the form of curio maps. Then, you have to hope your one map regularly spits out what you need in the form of coins and THEN get lucky with wheel spin RNG to give you dingbats.

I love the idea of the suits. They are beautiful, but...dingbats? I know it's coming in conjunction with a monthly promotion for them, but it's going to suck if the trend continues and the gap between me and the highest tier PKers - who can obtain these OOC-based currencies and utilise them instead of putting them out to market again - continue to grow because I can't grind out dingbats if I spend 23 hours playing the game like I could credits.

That being said, as soon as I have dingbats, I'm getting one.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • The disappointing difficulty of getting dingbats IG is a definite turn off on these. I have a bunch of dingbat desires, and barring the once yearly Czigany Wayfaire and the occasional login promo like this month's - which also comes maybe once a year now? - the best way I have to get dings is Iron Elite. Which is, what, 20 a month? that's a bit over a year just to buy the base model, then 5 months for a tier 1 module upgrade and another year for the second tier. I can try to buy dings on market, but the rate at which I've seen people begging for them makes me think it's not that easy that way either.

Honestly, given dings are being admin valued at 1:1, and that they themselves have been devalued OOCly by things like wondergems and aethergoop, maybe it's time to put dings up for sale with credits?

Other than that, I do kinda like the idea, though I agree there should be fewer "pay for shoulder cannons and PVP advantages" things. It's hard enough for cheapos like me to get into combat without the opposition having a 600+ dingbat edge.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • I just think that there are way too few dingbats being offered in the dingbat promo. You're honestly better off waiting for a solstice crate promo and then spending on that.

10 dingbats per 100 credits is just ridiculous when you consider how expensive even the base suit is.
    edited August 2016
    Estarra said:

Just want to say that I think the gnome couture we offered are really excellent, and absolutely fit thematically into the gnomosphere. In fact, I demanded that all outfits be steampunk inspired which I think makes most sense for the gnomes. Anyway, if the aesthetic isn't to your taste, that's fine, but no reason to be snarky about it. (But feel free let us know if there are typos!)

Anyway, I was thinking of having a contest where anyone can submit one design for the gnome couture, and we would pick the top ten designs. If your design is picked, we'd give you a free couture armour of that design.

That's an honest critique: the vast majority of characters who would be shelling out for these artifacts aren't gnomes! They're elfen, and faeling, and aslarans (, and, and, ect.) who live in places like Serenwilde, Glomdoring, or Gaudiguch. The audience for these, given their thematics and description, is really limited. It's great that gnomes would love these, but how many gnomes buy dingbats?

In particular, Serenwilde really doesn't fit with these. Our highest tech is... an elevator literally powered by a huge buff dude hauling on a rope. I'm less familiar with the other nations, but it seems pretty difficult to take these anywhere but Hallifax or Magnagora.

Speaking of Magnagora: cogs themselves are a well known and noted motif of Magnagora, which is also the nation with the biggest claim to steampunk in general, with consistent running machine allusions. This makes it fairly hard to play those kinds of designs with (nonfunctional/decorative) gear motifs anywhere else, imo.

I did write some typo's up though, bugs 15193 through 15203 if you wanna take a special look at them. My comment about needing an editor wasn't armchair commentary :p. It's a cool 777 words of bugtext though, sorry [insert embarrassed looking smilie I thought we had, but possibly not?].
  • Also please nerf the battle turret, sipping and influencing powers. They're way too powerful, expensive or not.
    edited August 2016
    The influencing probablyisn't a big deal, as long as it doesn't work on village influencing. If it does, it's potentially really dangerous for compounding bonuses a la Aerochem Vacuum and should make you 'faster' in the sense of stronger, with a universal influence buff.

The sipping is probably not a big deal if there is some tiering or diminishing returns in play for multiple sources of it, though most sources were racial and are now gone. Perhaps "Take the highest sip bonus value you have". This should apply to things like medicinebag (in other words, the artifact would not boost medicinebag's healing, as it's just a healing potion with a [bigger] sip modifier and a use counter).

The turrets need to only fire on PvE, not PvP, then who cares? I guess it'd contribute to rich getting richer via bashing competitions, but that ship has long sailed, I think.
  • Enyalida said:

Estarra said:

Just want to say that I think the gnome couture we offered are really excellent, and absolutely fit thematically into the gnomosphere. In fact, I demanded that all outfits be steampunk inspired which I think makes most sense for the gnomes. Anyway, if the aesthetic isn't to your taste, that's fine, but no reason to be snarky about it. (But feel free let us know if there are typos!)

Anyway, I was thinking of having a contest where anyone can submit one design for the gnome couture, and we would pick the top ten designs. If your design is picked, we'd give you a free couture armour of that design.

That's an honest critique: the vast majority of characters who would be shelling out for these artifacts aren't gnomes! They're elfen, and faeling, and aslarans (, and, and, ect.) who live in places like Serenwilde, Glomdoring, or Gaudiguch. The audience for these, given their thematics and description, is really limited. It's great that gnomes would love these, but how many gnomes buy dingbats?

In particular, Serenwilde really doesn't fit with these. Our highest tech is... an elevator literally powered by a huge buff dude hauling on a rope. I'm less familiar with the other nations, but it seems pretty difficult to take these anywhere but Hallifax or Magnagora.

Speaking of Magnagora: cogs themselves are a well known and noted motif of Magnagora, which is also the nation with the biggest claim to steampunk in general, with consistent running machine allusions. This makes it fairly hard to play those kinds of designs with (nonfunctional/decorative) gear motifs anywhere else, imo.

I did write some typo's up though, bugs 15193 through 15203 if you wanna take a special look at them. My comment about needing an editor wasn't armchair commentary :p. It's a cool 777 words of bugtext though, sorry [insert embarrassed looking smilie I thought we had, but possibly not?].
    The answer it's designs that straddle the line. The lore behind these are gnomish inventions, which are always a clean steampunkish gizmo look, being gussied up for non-gnomes. The tech level of Seren does not matter, they were not made there. They should however have one designed with an eye to the forests, the gears and steampunk elements hidden behind furs, woods, and more primitive styles.

Also gears does not mean Magnagora. Unless all of the suits leak black fluid, scream with a full grown woman's voice, and are powered by orphan hearts, there is nothing that Magnagoran to them. The Mag look is more then just gears.
    My point with 'tech level' was not to imply that Serenwilde is not capable of creating or understanding such technology, but that it's outside of the lore of Serenwilde to be interested in it. It's not in the style of Serenwilde to have that kind of stuff, or display it openly. For the most part, the gears in the non-exoskeleton designs are non-functional gears: they're designs, embellishments, adornments, motifs. The suit's power is aetheric, just like all of the power in Lusternia, so there isn't any reason to hide gears behind fur or wood, just chuck the gears entirely.

Of course the Magnagora look is more than cogs. It's just the city where all the cogs are. If you see a decorative moon or stag motif on an item - it's a rather safe bet that it's a Serenwilde themed item and that you'd draw dirty looks flaunting it in Glomdoring. Gears/cogs point strongly at Magnagora.

Granted, not all of them possess that strong of a theme. I could certainly see a Celestian character of mine wearing "a prim, monochrome dress inlaid with metalwork" or "a flamboyant blue exoskeleton whirring with brass gears"! I could potentially see wearing one of the first two (the shadow ones) in Glomdoring, though at least one prominent Glom has said he wouldn't.

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited August 2016
    I have a feeling that feedback on marketing wasn't necessarily requested in the feedback as much as price tag and a feel for the powers were.

Gero just showed off his shoulder cannon to me, and it procc'd about 50% of the time with his whip for 400-450 damage.

I had 2 blunt (which is what I assume their type is) resistance cause I was unbuffed, and my robes grant 12% physical damage resistance.

edited August 2016
    To you, or ON you?

EDIT: And a huge part ofh ow much people are willing to ay for a very visible item like this is its appearance. I'm more or less done talking about it, but I found that element disappointing. Typos and grammatical errors should get fixed pretty quick, new designs are possibly forthcoming, but meh.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    I don't understand what you're asking as far as "to you or on you" :S

He whipped me, and then it proc'd like a second later.

You were saying that he showed the guns firing "to you", which could have meant that he hit a weevil and it fired. Whereas on you would confirm that it does indeed work (very frequently?) on players.
  • I think more ethereal designs for the non mechanical orgs would be nice. People clomping around a forest in Fallout style power armor is a little odd.

Bang-a-rang!

Now back to to your regularly scheduled programming... >.>

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
  • I will say again, please make shoulder cannons PvE only.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
    edited August 2016
    More testing and asking of questions re: shoulder cannons needs to happen tomorrow. Suffice it to say, some testing happened and it's a pretty damn strong effect if parts of it aren't behaving as they should be. Making it PvE would immediately take a lot of the pressure off the effect by dramatically reducing the scope of its effect.

As was pointed out: even for PvE only, it's still a great buff that would probably still warrant adjusting downwards.
  • Is the corset version supposed to be a non-armour? This is actually a major plus for that particular design, IMO.