Lore questions

Comments

• MoiMoi
    edited March 2017
    Limbo is the place where tiny unstable planes created by artifacts and illusions fit in. Cubixes, Orbixes, the Mirror of Vestera, Maze glamours, etc. That's why in the metaphor it's made of cobwebs and bits of dust.
  • Iytha said:
    @Luce To visualize the planes, imagine a lumpy, beat up, sculpture made out of welded together cans that have all been stabbed a few times. The biggest can was actually a soup can at one point and lost its lid and bottom and has a giant dent in one side and a gaping hole where all the soup is leaking out on the other (Daath Sequence Hole). That's Prime. Welded on top of Prime's label is the bottom of a soda can. That's Ethereal. Clockwise from Prime is Elemental and Cosmic - four soda can poptops made into a chain and then welded on - Elemetal is the side of the poptop that would attach to the soda can, while Cosmic is the arching bit. Clockwise even further, until you're back by Prime, is the jangled lid of the can - Astral. There's other weird beads and stuff glued on as well - aetherbubbles - including some attached to the Spirit World (the inside of the can) called Nexus Worlds. And then there's Limbo, the giant cobweb strung together on the inside of the can itself.

E: We don't know. It's entirely possible there's an entire second layer to Faethorn full of lakes and jungles, sorta like how Continuum is arranged. Or they might be attached on the east and west, surrounding the Baths and the Vinter's Realm.
    The way it was explained to me was that planes are like an inverted pyramid with Prime being the point and Astral being the base - and from that, the higher you go up, the larger the plane is, whether or not the full plane has been explored or not. I was also told that the only reason the other planes don't 'crush' us is that the Great Trees hold up the ethereal plane. (Although I have always doubted this)
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Well, the Lusternian web site says this:
    https://www.lusternia.com/planar-travel

Like an onion, the planes of existence are layered and wrap around each other. In the center is the Prime Material Plane, or the world of Lusternia itself. Surrounding the prime is the ethereal plane, which reflects all the known forests of the prime and is home of the realm of the fae. Surrounding the realm of the fae are the elemental planes and surrounding those are the cosmic planes, the birthplaces of gods. Beyond even that are the mysterious and dangerous islands of the astral plane.

But then there is a graphic that shows it differently (on the same page), which is more along the lines of what Estarra has said before (which is that Prime is actually on the top and other planes are kind of below it).  Less oniony.  When you transverse, you are going "down," not up.

I've been trying to Google the source for that, but all I've got is my memory and the graphic on this page.

• My model's based on aetherspace. Which is probably more fundamental than nexus linkages.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    edited April 2017
    I feel like not, though? Because aether is the stuff outside the planes, much like Limbo, so they aren't really so disparate as aetherspace would suggest.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    edited April 2017
    Two questions:

1) Does Lusternia share the piece of lore concerning the primary asset that would allow one to tame a unicorn?
    2) How widespread is knowledge of the existence of the Other Souls?

1) I guess so, but, almost nobody actually cares except the Communes who occasionally need a unicorn to do Commune-related quests like the Ail'Fae Runia.
    2) It's in the histories of the Elder Wars, so basically anyone who has ever read these histories should have an idea of it.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Luce said:
    Two questions:

1) Does Lusternia share the piece of lore concerning the primary asset that would allow one to tame a unicorn?

If they did, Serenwilde would be screwed. Literally.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.

• Sunken shrine. (Capital City of the Grand Province of Gaudiguch.)
    Throughout the location, small dancing flames flicker and spark. This space appears to be part of some ancient temple, sunken into the ground at a crooked angle beneath the weight of new constructions throughout the city's history. The walls are tiled with the worn and chipped remnants of what must once have been a beautiful mosaic, its theme now indecipherable. In the centre of the floor is a bowl-shaped depression that is filled with sand and grit, though the blackened char marks along its rim and the worn inscription denotes it as once being a vessel of the sacred flame.

Is this the Flame flame, or some generic flame being referenced here? The former opens up far more interesting questions - like can the Nexus move? Was the Flame normal fire that got imbued into the nexus? If the latter, do we have some ancient fire cult history behind the pyromancers or whatnot?

This room just always makes me so curious.
  • I don't know the answer, but perhaps try talking to the mobs in your city or your patron. You never know what you might spark!

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

Dylara said:
    I don't know the answer, but perhaps try talking to the mobs in your city or your patron. You never know what you might spark!
    Sparking things in Gaudiguch is either a really bad idea, or really good one.
  • Breandryn said:
    This room just always makes me so curious.
    It may intrigue you to know that eternal flames predate the release of Gaudiguch as a city. There's one on Zoaka, for example. It's entirely possible that the Eternal Flame was lit using a source more ancient than the Empire...
  • It's the sacred flame part that's most interesting to me, as that's spiritual, while the Nexus is about power. I never really thought to ask, though - are the Pantheon of each city somehow linked to the Nexus?
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited April 2017
    Breandryn said:
    It's the sacred flame part that's most interesting to me, as that's spiritual, while the Nexus is about power. I never really thought to ask, though - are the Pantheon of each city somehow linked to the Nexus?
    Some "are" by loose, after-the-fact association, like Yomoigu - at least assumedly, given His studies on the Pyres...which are linked to the Flames...of which the Eternal Flame is one. Things may get slightly more complicated when you look at a commune nexus, particularly alongside someone like Viravain or Manteekan who are suffused with the Wyrd, which binds All The Things in Glomdoring, but for city nexus...nah. They're mortal contrivances that came about well after the gods all hatched from the cosmic creches, none have any sort of intrinsic bond that I'm aware of.

Also I was wondering about that same place while I tucked myself away there to code for some hours yesterday.

/suspicious

Edit: As an aside, there are a handful spiritual connotations with some of the nexus already, it's just difficult to find someone who harps on them. The Mages Formerly Known As The Pyromancers were supposedly all about the Pyres and Flames, just very very few in recent history (read: probably only Alary) ever had anything to say on the topic so far as spiritualism is concerned.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • I've wondered about that room for ages. I think I upset Talan once during a quiz because I had a question about the room, but based on my first interpretation (on a quick read I thought it meant the eternal flame used to be there).
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    As I recall, that tunnel was "reportedly" a reclaimed part of Alin'dor's ruins, but I'd need to dig and find if that's to be taken canonically.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Is there a list / book / work / someone I could ask about fae language?
    And what is already known?
  • So @Xenthos asked a question in the smell thread that got me curious. Are all ravens in Lusternia generally not supposed to exist anymore and are now crows? Foehn has a pet raven (with antlers) and now I'm worried that this collides with some established lore. Wondering if I need to figure out a way to explain the raven.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited May 2017
    The Last Raven. That also submits to Stag. EDIT: Or uses Stag's magic as protection from becoming a crow.

(It doesn't clash with game lore if you make it so that it doesn't!)

• @Maligorn  Sorry if I'm dense. Can you elaborate a bit more?
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Maligorn said:
    The Last Raven. That also submits to Stag. EDIT: Or uses Stag's magic as protection from becoming a crow.

(It doesn't clash with game lore if you make it so that it doesn't!)
    When a daddy stag and a mommy crow love each other very much... a raven with antlers is born.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited May 2017
    Foehn said:
    @Maligorn  Sorry if I'm dense. Can you elaborate a bit more?
    Because Great Spirit Raven was corrupted into Great Spirit Crow, all the ravens as we know it changed to reflect this. But, like, maybe your raven was visiting Serenwilde at the time, and so was not immediately turned? The point I'm trying to make is that you can craft your own story for your raven such that it doesn't necessarily clash with the established lore. And, in fact, having a raven is perfectly in line with Serenwilde's defiance of the wyrd.

• Awesome. I appreciate the clarification.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Is there a specific Lusternian term for referring to all planes, including material?
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Planescape?
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Isn't that "The First World" or "Creation"?
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Luce said:
    Isn't that "The First World" or "Creation"?
    Mali thought it might be the First World, but I was under the impression that referred only to Prime. I might be wrong.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
    Foehn said:
    So @Xenthos asked a question in the smell thread that got me curious. Are all ravens in Lusternia generally not supposed to exist anymore and are now crows? Foehn has a pet raven (with antlers) and now I'm worried that this collides with some established lore. Wondering if I need to figure out a way to explain the raven.
    Honestly, if it is an admin-approved pet (eg beast, dweller) it is not really your responsibility to explain it.  You can make something up if you want but if you do so you need to remember that they can overrule you with Some Other Explanation.  They could also embrace it if they like it, so it is not entirely a perilous endeavour, but it is a good thing to keep in mind.

If they approved it, it either slipped by incorrectly (this actually has happened with another Raven-themed customization in the past, a crow cloak turned into a raven cloak-- iirc it got dunked into a Lisaera-related pool to preserve it forever when it was slated to be destroyed) or they had some reason to think it was okay.  Either way the burden's not on you.  It's just a bit of a headscratcher to the rest of us.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Theoretically, of one were to roll a Trill in Glom or Mag, could that Trill resemble a bat?
  • edited May 2017
    Luce said:
    Theoretically, of one were to roll a Trill in Glom or Mag, could that Trill resemble a bat?
    I am fairly sure they could. Viscanti that trace their lineage back to trill often have bat like, but useless, wings according to their help file.

Edit: Not to mention the batlike wings the wyrd causes in faelings.